Story Poster
Photo by Nike EYBL
Baylor Basketball Recruiting

MBB: Jared Butler on why he chose Baylor?

August 19, 2018

After a whirlwind day of basketball news, Baylor ended up with a terrific point guard prospect for the present and future.  Jared Butler from Reserve, Louisiana was heavily recruited as part of the 2018 class and he eventually chose Alabama over a final three of Baylor, Virginia and Alabama.  However, Butler left Alabama in the summer after enrolling in May. 

In high school Jared averaged 27 points, 9 rebounds, 8 assists and 3 steals for Riverside Academy. 

He is applying for a waiver to be eligible for the 2018-19 season.  

Jared, one of the most important questions I can ask you is what is your wingspan?  Have you had it measured?  I let him know this was an inside joke on the message boards.  

Butler:  Unfortunately, I do not have an answer for you!  

I spoke with one of your AAU coaches, Omhar Carter.  He said you have some similarities to Rod Strickland and Jason Kidd as a point guard in your ability to pass, court vision and basketball IQ.  That is high praise.  Some of the younger folks reading this won't be familiar with their games.  Do you have some current point guards that you want to emulate?  

Butler:  The two that come to mind are Chris Paul and Kyrie Irving.  I love the feel that they have for the game.  

What do you plan to study at Baylor?

Butler:  I plan on studying engineering

What do you want to work on the most to be ready to contribute on the college level?

Butler:  My speed and quickness for the most part.  

Do you talk with former Baylor great Tweety Carter who is also a PG from your high school along with Rico Gathers?  What have they told you about Baylor?

Butler:  I talk with Tweety all the time.  They both loved Baylor so it is great having them talk to me to give me a feel for what to expect.  

Discussion from...

MBB: Jared Butler on why he chose Baylor?

8,075 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by NoBSU
BUbearinARK
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AWESOME!! Welcome Jared!! Amazing addition!
I’m an optimist!

And /S in case I missed it

TE
Matthew Klopfenstein 1 catch/5 yds
boxster
Welcome to Baylor.

The Louisiana to Baylor pipeline continues! Everybody wins!
GoodNewsBears
Welcome to the family Jared, keep up the hard work and Baylor will be one of the best decisions of your life!
Fozzie
heard about Jared from one of my buddies in New Orleans. Was a little bummed when he picked Bama over the Bears. But glad he ended up with the good guys.

Welcome to Baylor Jared! Can't wait to watch you play!
NoBSU
Thanks for asking the wingspan question Ashley. The Engineering major made me smile remembering the old Jim Valvano story.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.