Butler

5,730 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by xiledinok
xiledinok
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Good for him, he is going to face bigger, stronger players who can keep him from driving through defenses from 18 feet out.
He's short and strong with little range.
willyric
x. I hear you about his shot. But his form is there so consistency will follow.

clumsy?
brother he's more athletic and soft footed than Blake Griffin as a SOPH and it might not be close.
His defense is phenomenal.

You mentioned something about stronger NBA players.. He'll beast 95% of the league.

I'm not 100% sold on him but many of your statements were asinine.
xiledinok
Blake is much taller and can dribble his way into the post from at the top.
Zion at 6'6, limited ball handling and range is not the modern NBA.
Blake isn't as attractive today as 10 years ago. The game has changed.
BLuce
I have noticed some on this forum are very adept at compiling stats from Baylor BB games. Anyone interested in posting the score for the OU game last night every time Butler entered or left the game?

I think the results would be very interesting.
xiledinok
BLuce said:

I have noticed some on this forum are very adept at compiling stats from Baylor BB games. Anyone interested in posting the score for the OU game last night every time Butler entered or left the game?

I think the results would be very interesting.
I did n't see the game, perhaps you could fill us in on our emerging star.
BLuce
I don't take notes and did not record the game, but it seemed to me we would build a lead when Butler was in the game and lose it when he sat down.
xiledinok
BLuce said:

I don't take notes and did not record the game, but it seemed to me we would build a lead when Butler was in the game and lose it when he sat down.

Thank you.
Ashley Hodge
Staff
  • Butler started and subbed out at 11:56 (OU up 12-10) -2
  • Butler subbed in at 8:12 (tied 18-18)
  • Played rest of the half (tied 31-31) +0
  • Butler started 2nd half and subbed out at 15:50 (Baylor up 37-35) +2
  • Butler subbed in at 13:43 (Baylor up 39-35)
  • Butler subbed out at 10:02 (Baylor up 48-40) +4
  • Butler subbed in at 8:35 (Baylor up 48-45)
  • Butler subbed out at 5:40 (Baylor up 50-49) -2
  • Didn't play the rest of the game

His plus and minus for the game was +2

BLuce

I guess I was just remembering that Baylor was up 11 at about the 11 minute mark, up from a four point lead when he came in about 13:43, was still up 8 when he subbed out, then we promptly lost most of the lead. Overall, balanced out pretty well.

Thanks for the stats. I knew someone had them.

Bugeye
My thoughts exactly! I'm not into stats neither but I know my basketball and Butler has for the most part put Baylor in the plus column by leading the team in steals and assists since starting. He has been consistent on both ends of the floor providing balance on offence by knocking down tough shots and playing heads up D on top of our zone defense. From what I have read on this forum I'm not the only one on here that has noticed that these Coaches have put him on a short leash. It seems that they are at times more concern with stroking someone's ego than trying to win games. Is it because he is a first year player (freshman)?

If ANY player is producing on both ends of the floor, why would you take him out when the momentum going your way to secure a win? Case in point as Bluce had mentioned that Baylor was up by 11 against Okla at the 11 minute mark and then you sat Butler down for no apparent reason and towards the end of the game you win by the skin of your teeth. Again just going with the eye ball test here!!!
historian
Anyone who wants to watch the OU game from Monday can do so any time:

Even better, if you want to watch most any game from this year (or previous years) in any sport, check this one out:

http://www.big12sports.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=10410&DB_OEM_ID=10410

If you want stats on any game (at least recent years), click on the Box Score link for that game on this link:

https://baylorbears.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=740

If you click on the Recap link, besides getting the recap, there is a button for a downloadable Box Score file in pdf format. These are great resources for anyone seeking more info.
xiledinok
This thread will age well and we'll get to see how he turns out.
I think I'd pick Butler first picking teams in practice.
Ashley, did he play well?
Ashley Hodge
Staff
I love Butler. Wasn't his best game but wasn't his worst. And his worst is still net positive in my view. Smart, talented, coachable player. We will have great guard play the next few years.

Bandoo was a find as well. All those qualities used to describe Butler could apply to Bandoo.
Bugeye

The qualities you describe are good but skill sets makes a difference in providing the kind of caliber of play. Butler and Bandoo have different skill sets but a lot people have a bad habit on just focusing on how many points a person scores in a game. If you can't lock down on defense, create in transition, create your own offense to score, know how to break a full court press, and assist others to score at minimum, then I think you need to expand your mind that there is a lot more to offer than just scoring to win a game.
xiledinok
Some guys should buy their kids #12 Baylor basketball jerseys. Support the school and our favorite player.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.