What happen to TCU

8,505 Views | 64 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Timbear
Bear8084
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Crash Davis said:

Bear8084 said:

Crash Davis said:

Goodness. We have some of the dumbest fans in the country. It's really pretty incredible.

Every basketball season it's like this. Just recently the wrong belief that a regular season Conference Championship is better than any wins in the NCAA Tourney has taken hold with a small number of fans on here. I am glad the majority don't believe that.
I say this as someone who holds our 3 Big XII baseball championships VERY near and dear to my heart, but the 2 years we won the Big XII and didn't make it to the CWS...I'd flip those accomplishments in a heartbeat. The dream every year is to get to Omaha...if you can win a trophy or two along the way, great! But it isn't a prerequisite to get to where you want to go.

I view basketball similarly. Winning the conference is a great accomplishment. I hope we do it next year and get that monkey off our back. But a deep tournament run is at least as important to me, if not more, than winning the conference.

And don't even get me started about people *****ing about conference tournament championships. I'm all for winning one...let's do it. But if we don't, I seriously don't give a ****. And if folks are going to get all hot and bothered over conference tournament championships, then maybe it's time to start giving Drew a little bit more credit for winning tournaments like the Battle for Atlantis. Beating VCU, Michigan State, and Louisville is every bit as impressive as winning a conference tournament championship.

My thoughts exactly.
bear2be2
Bear8084 said:

Crash Davis said:

Bear8084 said:

Crash Davis said:

Goodness. We have some of the dumbest fans in the country. It's really pretty incredible.

Every basketball season it's like this. Just recently the wrong belief that a regular season Conference Championship is better than any wins in the NCAA Tourney has taken hold with a small number of fans on here. I am glad the majority don't believe that.
I say this as someone who holds our 3 Big XII baseball championships VERY near and dear to my heart, but the 2 years we won the Big XII and didn't make it to the CWS...I'd flip those accomplishments in a heartbeat. The dream every year is to get to Omaha...if you can win a trophy or two along the way, great! But it isn't a prerequisite to get to where you want to go.

I view basketball similarly. Winning the conference is a great accomplishment. I hope we do it next year and get that monkey off our back. But a deep tournament run is at least as important to me, if not more, than winning the conference.

And don't even get me started about people *****ing about conference tournament championships. I'm all for winning one...let's do it. But if we don't, I seriously don't give a ****. And if folks are going to get all hot and bothered over conference tournament championships, then maybe it's time to start giving Drew a little bit more credit for winning tournaments like the Battle for Atlantis. Beating VCU, Michigan State, and Louisville is every bit as impressive as winning a conference tournament championship.
My thoughts exactly.
And mine.
EvilTroyAndAbed
cowboycwr said:

bear2be2 said:

cowboycwr said:

bear2be2 said:

cowboycwr said:

Timbear said:

Let's save our gloating until we beat Syracuse. Remember, MBB has lost their last 4 games and looked bad doing it. Congrats, though, for making the Dance. Happy for the players.
You are posting on the basketball board, where Drew is king and just making the tournament is enough for these posters even if we lose to lowly teams that we have no business losing to. Winning games in the tournament does not matter here. Only participating.
We're tied with West Virginia for the most second-weekend tournament runs of any Big 12 team not named Kansas this decade. That would suggest we're both making the tournament and winning games once there, no?

But by all means, trash the greatest coach (by far) in Baylor basketball history, without whom you wouldn't have fictitious postseason struggles to ***** about in the first place.
Yawn.

Second most.

In the words of Ricky Bobby... if you ain't first your last.

Yale says hi.

And whatever that Georgia school was that trounced us.

So please provide more fake evidence of this postseason success.

Please list all the championships won by the great all mighty drew.

And be sure to include big 12 titles.

Two Elite Eights and two Sweet 16 appearances in a 10-year period isn't fake success. Just about any non-blue blood program in the country would take that in a heartbeat.

It's OK that you're not a college basketball fan. But you don't have to flaunt your ignorance so openly. Some things are better kept to yourself.
Yawn.

Again I will ask. Please post all the championships won by Drew. Include Big 12 titles.

The only ignorance here is from you and others who want to defend Drew for not winning and trying to pretend that making it to an Elite 8 is some sort of huge achievement that means he can get no criticism for the rest of his career.

Titles.

That is what matters. Not being trounced by Yale and then falling back and saying "yeah but we made an Elite 8 once."
Yeah, you don't watch college basketball at all. Or else you're the biggest idiot on the face of the earth.
Big_Pumpin
You guys are a bunch of cry babies. You can value tournament wins over conference hardware if you want. I get it. If this is you, then you should be pleased with the current state of Baylor basketball.

I personnaly want some conference trophies. The two greatest memories I have are the two conference championships in football under Briles. Winning national championships are difficult and almost impossible in basketball.

At this point in Drew's career I feel like we ought to be able to field a team that can win some conference hardware. It's fun to hold up trophies. Obviously, there will never be a time where a team wins the Big 12 or tournament and doesn't make the dance. It's silly to even talk about wihich one you'd rather have. Elite 8 appearance or conference title? That's silliness.

I'm at the point wher I want a conference championship with this program. I don't want Drew fired. I want him to win a trophy.

I guess some of you think his ceiling is 4th in the big 12
bear2be2
Big_Pumpin said:

You guys are a bunch of cry babies. You can value tournament wins over conference hardware if you want. I get it. If this is you, then you should be pleased with the current state of Baylor basketball.

I personnaly want some conference trophies. The two greatest memories I have are the two conference championships in football under Briles. Winning national championships are difficult and almost impossible in basketball.

At this point in Drew's career I feel like we ought to be able to field a team that can win some conference hardware. It's fun to hold up trophies. Obviously, there will never be a time where a team wins the Big 12 or tournament and doesn't make the dance. It's silly to even talk about wihich one you'd rather have. Elite 8 appearance or conference title? That's silliness.

I'm at the point wher I want a conference championship with this program. I don't want Drew fired. I want him to win a trophy.

You should have just started and stopped here. Those who think conference championships are really important are almost always football fans who follow basketball peripherally, if that.

Trophies are great. And everyone would love to win some. But you play Division I college basketball to get to the tournament and win games there. Period. I would be fine finishing second in conference for eternity if it came with consistent trips to the Elite Eight. And I can't think of a single one of my college basketball fan friends would disagree with me on that.
Big_Pumpin
bear2be2 said:

Big_Pumpin said:

You should have just started and stopped here. Those who think conference championships are really important are almost always football fans who follow basketball peripherally, if that.

Trophies are great. And everyone would love to win some. But you play Division I college basketball to get to the tournament and win games there. Period. I would be fine finishing second in conference for eternity if it came with consistent trips to the Elite Eight. And I can't think of a single one of my college basketball fan friends would disagree with me on that.

You don't know me. I love college basketball more the football. Everyone keeps jumping to elite eight and college World Series in exchange for conference titles. That's quite the leap. I loved the elite 8 run. I wish I could compare to winning the conference championship.

Just answer one question: Do you think this program should be competing for conference titles at this stage in Drew's tenure?
Ludwig von Missi
Big_Pumpin said:

I think we're all in favor of winning a conference title. Let's do it. Next year might be our best chance yet.

Some of us are just able to appreciate everything Scott Drew has accomplished at Baylor, which by my count is a metric ****ton. Scott Drew has built Baylor into one of the 20 or so best programs in the country over the past decade. Yes, it's ok (and healthy) to want our program to improve. It's ok to be frustrated that we haven't won the conference. But when people put winning the conference on a pedestal and pretend like nothing else we've accomplished over the past decade matters...they can get bent as far as I'm concerned.
bear2be2
Big_Pumpin said:

bear2be2 said:

Big_Pumpin said:

You don't know me. I love college basketball more the football. Everyone keeps jumping to elite eight and college World Series in exchange for conference titles. That's quite the leap. I loved the elite 8 run. I wish I could compare to winning the conference championship.

Just answer one question: Do you think this program should be competing for conference titles at this stage in Drew's tenure?
I honestly don't know and couldn't care less. A conference championship just isn't that important to me. I don't value it all that highly. In fact, it doesn't even appear on the list of goals I have for our program.

I want a program that gets to the tournament consistently and is capable of doing damage once there. As long as Drew accomplishes those two things, and he's done a pretty good job of both to date, I'm perfectly content with the state of our program.
Stefano DiMera
We did compete for a conference title this year until 2 weeks left in season till we ran out of gas.
The KState home game was a microcosm of our season..the fact we almost won that with that lineup and a cornerback at point guard was enough evidence for me Drew can coach
Porteroso
Stefano DiMera said:

The fact in 2 different posts you said we got trounced by 'the Georgia school' then trounced by Yale shows you don't know what you're talking about..

And let me tell you something.. you're probably a Briles fan...like I was and most everyone here..I enjoyed those back to back championships..what I don't enjoy.. rightly or wrongly..is 3 years later having to defend my schools reputation on social media as 'Rapelor'.

In case youve missed it. In basketball UNC Kansas and Arizona have had serious charges and insinuations against them. You're naive if you don't think many more schools are involved.

Drew his been here 16 years without a hint of scandal. Rico's Walmart shopping spree not withstanding..you can compain about the lack of titles going up against a bunch of programs who are cheating their ass off..but I'm not..

You must not follow bball much. About 5 years ago there were ESPN writers calling Drew one of the dirtiest coaches in America. Not much was ever proven, and I think that blue bloods were just mad that we snagged pj3, but if you've followed our team, you'd know that "not a hint" is outright falsehood.

For sure, he recruited out of season, and lied about KU's grade average or something to recruits.
Porteroso
Crash Davis said:

Bear8084 said:

Crash Davis said:

It's weird that teams with no championships never care about them, they're just a sort of perk that nobody really needs anyways, and somehow teams with championships seem to value all that winning, like the perk might be worth it after all. I wonder how the mental gymnastics on that works...

I think Drew has done well, but that doesn't stop me from wanting all the winning I can get.

A lot of you need to go visit your mom, and maybe be reminded of how she taught you to treat people. It's the internet, sure, but calling people stupid because they want a conference title? Just wow.
Ludwig von Missi
Porteroso said:

Crash Davis said:

Bear8084 said:

Crash Davis said:

It's weird that teams with no championships never care about them, they're just a sort of perk that nobody really needs anyways, and somehow teams with championships seem to value all that winning, like the perk might be worth it after all. I wonder how the mental gymnastics on that works...

I think Drew has done well, but that doesn't stop me from wanting all the winning I can get.

A lot of you need to go visit your mom, and maybe be reminded of how she taught you to treat people. It's the internet, sure, but calling people stupid because they want a conference title? Just wow.
I'm assuming you responded to the wrong post, because basically every sentence of this is completely irrelevant to anything I said.
Bear8084
Porteroso said:

Crash Davis said:

Bear8084 said:

Crash Davis said:

No one is saying they don't want one. It would be great, and a huge accomplishment for the program. And to those who are saying fans on here are just happy with making the Big Dance and nothing else are either ignoring posts, or just making crap up. The big hang-up is weighing them as great as making deep NCAA Tourney runs, which they aren't.
historian
Two reasons we should not gloat:

First of all it is just plain wrong (and doesn't really accomplish anything).

Second, we were in the NIT last year. We don't have much room for crowing over TCU or Texas being there (and both beat us in the regular season).
cowboycwr
bear2be2 said:

cowboycwr said:

bear2be2 said:

cowboycwr said:

bear2be2 said:

cowboycwr said:

Timbear said:

Let's save our gloating until we beat Syracuse. Remember, MBB has lost their last 4 games and looked bad doing it. Congrats, though, for making the Dance. Happy for the players.
You are posting on the basketball board, where Drew is king and just making the tournament is enough for these posters even if we lose to lowly teams that we have no business losing to. Winning games in the tournament does not matter here. Only participating.
We're tied with West Virginia for the most second-weekend tournament runs of any Big 12 team not named Kansas this decade. That would suggest we're both making the tournament and winning games once there, no?

But by all means, trash the greatest coach (by far) in Baylor basketball history, without whom you wouldn't have fictitious postseason struggles to ***** about in the first place.
Yawn.

Second most.

Yale says hi.

Two Elite Eights and two Sweet 16 appearances in a 10-year period isn't fake success. Just about any non-blue blood program in the country would take that in a heartbeat.

It's OK that you're not a college basketball fan. But you don't have to flaunt your ignorance so openly. Some things are better kept to yourself.
Yawn.

Again I will ask. Please post all the championships won by Drew. Include Big 12 titles.

The only ignorance here is from you and others who want to defend Drew for not winning and trying to pretend that making it to an Elite 8 is some sort of huge achievement that means he can get no criticism for the rest of his career.

Titles.

That is what matters. Not being trounced by Yale and then falling back and saying "yeah but we made an Elite 8 once."
We made the Elite Eight twice and backed that up with two other Sweet 16 appearances ... in a 10-year period. Keep up.

It's beyond obvious from your posts here that you don't follow college basketball. I know it's March and your co-workers are starting to banter around the water cooler about their brackets, but it's probably best for you to sit this one out. You want to keep the respect they still have for you.
and zero titles.
cowboycwr
Stefano DiMera said:

The fact in 2 different posts you said we got trounced by 'the Georgia school' then trounced by Yale shows you don't know what you're talking about..

And let me tell you something.. you're probably a Briles fan...like I was and most everyone here..I enjoyed those back to back championships..what I don't enjoy.. rightly or wrongly..is 3 years later having to defend my schools reputation on social media as 'Rapelor'.

In case youve missed it. In basketball UNC Kansas and Arizona have had serious charges and insinuations against them. You're naive if you don't think many more schools are involved.

Drew his been here 16 years without a hint of scandal. Rico's Walmart shopping spree not withstanding..you can compain about the lack of titles going up against a bunch of programs who are cheating their ass off..but I'm not..
We lost to both schools. So that shows I know exactly what I am talking about.

16 years and zero titles.

cowboycwr
Porteroso said:

Stefano DiMera said:

You must not follow bball much. About 5 years ago there were ESPN writers calling Drew one of the dirtiest coaches in America. Not much was ever proven, and I think that blue bloods were just mad that we snagged pj3, but if you've followed our team, you'd know that "not a hint" is outright falsehood.

For sure, he recruited out of season, and lied about KU's grade average or something to recruits.
PJ3.... how is he doing in the NBA???
historian
There are many ways to measure success. Championships are only one of them. I suspect most teams do not have very many of them. And let's be honest, being national champion in any sport must be extremely difficult. In any year, there are very few teams with even a remote chance. How many times has Kansas, arguably the best team in the Big 12 year after year, won them? How long has it been since their last?
Media Bear
CSIBear said:

Timbear said:

Dumb post. Even if we lose to SU we are still in a position to gloat at tcu.
Not really. Technically, yah. However, we STILL need to take care of business in this year's tourney -- something we haven't done more often than have in recent tourneys (which tends to hollow out the gloat).

If we TCB, that helps bolster our recruiting efforts. Which, in turn (if successful -- and it usually is) can help secure several more years of effective and maximized gloating ...
BU25
Media Bear said:

CSIBear said:

Timbear said:

Not really. Technically, yah. However, we STILL need to take care of business in this year's tourney -- something we haven't done more often than have in recent tourneys (which tends to hollow out the gloat).

If we TCB, that helps bolster our recruiting efforts. Which, in turn (if successful -- and it usually is) can help secure several more years of effective and maximized gloating ...

In my opinion, this team has already taken care of business and exceeded expectations this year. A loss on Thursday does nothing to change that.

In the NCAA tournament for the Scott Drew era, based on tournament seed alone, Baylor has performed "better than expected" 3 times, "as expected" 2 times, and "worse than expected" 2 times. A loss to Syracuse would still be considered "as expected".
Media Bear
BU25 said:

Media Bear said:

CSIBear said:

Timbear said:

Not really. Technically, yah (we are in gloating position, this is true). However, we STILL need to take care of business in this year's tourney -- something we haven't done more often than have in recent tourneys (which tends to hollow out the gloat).

In my opinion, this team has already taken care of business and exceeded expectations this year. A loss on Thursday does nothing to change that.

In the NCAA tournament for the Scott Drew era, based on tournament seed alone, Baylor has performed "better than expected" 3 times, "as expected" 2 times, and "worse than expected" 2 times. A loss to Syracuse would still be considered "as expected".
Plenty of teams "exceed expectations" in college basketball each season (Michigan State just endured a similar injury spate that we have -- and still are -- yet managed to win the Big 10 tournament; Washington was picked 10th in the Pac 12, they ended up a 9 seed in the NCAAs just like Baylor). We just got to see it up close and in detail -- so it makes things that much more special.

A loss on Thursday would make it three times in Baylor's last 4 NCAA appearances that it winked out in the first round -- that's what most the rest of the country (and many a recruit) sees. Now, the Sweet 16 appearance in '17 does have some traction, but Drew's other one ('12) occurred before any of the current Bears (or their counterparts) entered college (some were still in junior high). Impressive yes, but they do have an expiration date when it comes to the recruiting trail.

Today is a "what have you done for me lately" world. We're due to make another post-season splash -- and the goal of any "winner" is to EXCEED expectations. Baylor is a "winner" as they have exceeded expectations to get to this point. So enduring an "as expected" loss now that they're here ... Sorry, that just doesn't cut it for this fan and it would end what has otherwise been a remarkable year on a bitter note.

If the Bears were good enough to pull things out of the fire earlier in the season just to get to this point, they need to finish on a high note - and advance in this tourney now that they're here. They need to Take Care of Business instead of just being glad to be here and ending with a loss.

Stefano DiMera
You said trounced..one was a 35ft buzzer beater and the other a one possession game..so no..you don't know what you're babbling about..

I'm open to suggestions on who you can bring in that fits our litmus test that could bring us those conference titles(without cheating).

You must be new around here..When Baylor tries to take shortcut in our basketball hires it usually blows up in our face spectacularly.
xiledinok
Crash Davis said:

Bear8084 said:

Crash Davis said:

Winning a conference tournament is much more impressive. Those preseason tournaments are about developing and growing teams prior to conference.

The conference opponents are familiar with each other and know each other's tendencies.
Find some excuses you can use outside of Waco. Shock opponent fanbases when pumping up not winning conference.
CNC
This "hasn't won a championship" talk is garbage.

Line up every head coaches' resume over the past 16 years and rank them. I know CSD wouldn't be in that top tier (Self, etc.), but I think most programs would trade their past 16 years for ours.

Or, list all coaches out of 338 (?) DI that have won titles over past 16 years. Your argument would be fire the other 80% (or so) that haven't b/c they haven't won anything "meaningful" (a trophy).

If a trophy means so much to someone, please message me. I won my first grade spelling bee (humble brag). I'll mail you my trophy, so you can find purpose.

We live in a snowflake world now. Not everyone can get a trophy. Doesn't mean everything "sucks". Pathetic argument.

That weekend in Houston back in 2010 (f#ck Duke) was one of my proudest/happiest moments of being a life long Baylor fan.

Back on topic, TCU didn't deserve a bid. Most of their alumni I talked to said they didn't think they would get in. Just disappointed teams St Johns and Ohio St did. They are too injuried. Wouldn't last beyond the 1st round.

cowboycwr
Stefano DiMera said:

You said trounced..one was a 35ft buzzer beater and the other a one possession game..so no..you don't know what you're babbling about..

I'm open to suggestions on who you can bring in that fits our litmus test that could bring us those conference titles(without cheating).

You must be new around here..When Baylor tries to take shortcut in our basketball hires it usually blows up in our face spectacularly.
I said trounced.

We lost.

That is the same as trounced.

It is a L

As in we played no more games because we lost.

To inferior teams.

So yes I know exactly what I am talking about. However it is clear you do not as you want to justify the loss. It was a LOSS.

I am still waiting for you to list all of Drew's titles
cowboycwr
CNC said:

This "hasn't won a championship" talk is garbage.

Line up every head coaches' resume over the past 16 years and rank them. I know CSD wouldn't be in that top tier (Self, etc.), but I think most programs would trade their past 16 years for ours.

Or, list all coaches out of 338 (?) DI that have won titles over past 16 years. Your argument would be fire the other 80% (or so) that haven't b/c they haven't won anything "meaningful" (a trophy).

If a trophy means so much to someone, please message me. I won my first grade spelling bee (humble brag). I'll mail you my trophy, so you can find purpose.

We live in a snowflake world now. Not everyone can get a trophy. Doesn't mean everything "sucks". Pathetic argument.

That weekend in Houston back in 2010 (f#ck Duke) was one of my proudest/happiest moments of being a life long Baylor fan.

Back on topic, TCU didn't deserve a bid. Most of their alumni I talked to said they didn't think they would get in. Just disappointed teams St Johns and Ohio St did. They are too injuried. Wouldn't last beyond the 1st round.

Ah yes I am surprised that it took this long.

Please post where I have said fire Drew.

K thanks.

CSIBear
Media Bear said:

CSIBear said:

Timbear said:

Didn't even have to worry about us losing to SU. Again, there is no issue gloating at tcu. Gloat away.
rudylaw
cowboycwr said:

Stefano DiMera said:

I said trounced.

We lost.

That is the same as trounced.

The English language: how does it work?
JohnProctor
cowboycwr said:

bear2be2 said:

cowboycwr said:

Timbear said:

Yawn.

Second most.

Yale says hi.

I think your Ricky Bobby quote is perfect as that movie might be right in line with your intellect level.

We have a basketball only school in our conference who dominates recruiting year after year. Its too bad we didn't have our best team this year when KU was down a little but thats the way it goes.

I want Big 12 titles too, but basketball is different. 90% of basketball fans care waaaay more about the NCAA tournament than conference titles. Even you have to understand that if you were honest.

Drew has taken us there repeatedly and he has done it with class and with a unashamed focus on being a good man and a good Christian foremost... what Baylor should be about.

Not to divert too much, but I assume you will hold our football coach to the same title standard (where conference titles are much more important) because I see us likely having a real problem there moving forward.
Banned BarleyMcDougal
JohnProctor said:

cowboycwr said:

bear2be2 said:

cowboycwr said:

Timbear said:

Yawn.

Second most.

Yale says hi.

We have a basketball only school in our conference who dominates recruiting year after year. Its too bad we didn't have our best team this year when KU was down a little but thats the way it goes.
Yeah, they won't be as dominating now that their scheme with adidas is over and dirty Self is about to hit the road.
Timbear
Hey guys, now let's gloat. Great win. We were due for a good shooting night. This game officially established 2018-2019 as a good year. Congrats coaches and players.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.