Tech just made Beard the 3rd highest paid coach in the country

12,738 Views | 66 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by xiledinok
Texasjeremy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Mahan1979 said:

I think the one thing we have over Tech is our location and proximity to recruits. We are closer to DFW, Houston, Austin where most of the top athletes are coming from. Tech is in the middle of nowhere. I'm afraid though, that the longer Tech maintains their success the less important location is going to be.
We? Your not fooling anyone. You created a username just to prop up Tech on a Baylor message board. I don't think anyone cares that you are a Tech fan (there are several Tech fans hanging around), but at least own it (you will be more respected for it).
Ashley Hodge
Staff
Mahan1979 said:

Saying "MY" school and claiming to be a first on a message board doesn't make you any more of a fan than anyone else. Quit being so pretentious. I completely disagree with you about Arizona, but that's ok, we don't all have to agree. I definitely hope you are wrong about Beard going to Texas, because if he does, we are really in trouble. I can stomach Tech have a great program, but never Texas. I hope that doesn't offend you, in case you're also a Texas fan. Just the way I feel.
all this consternation about Beard reminds me of last year with Jamie Dixon or a couple years before that with Shaka Smart. Rosters change every year in college basketball. Beard caught something special the last 2 years. He may be a great coach. He may just be a good coach that had two spectacular years.

He's 3-3 against Scott Drew. Before we crown him the next John Wooden let's see how the next 5 years play out for him.

I wouldn't bet the house that Tech finishes upper half of the conference next year. OU, KU, Texas, WVU, OSU and Baylor all have good looking rosters on paper. And we know how hard it is to win at KSU and at ISU.
zebbie
Ashley Hodge said:

FWIW, Vegas just came out with some odds on the Michigan job.

Someone is feeding the book info of some sort. Maybe Beard's agent just trying to get Tech to renegotiate his 2 week old contract.

No Whataburger within a thousand miles of Michigan. Tech is safe.
Mahan1979
Yes, challenge my status as a fan instead of challenging the contents of what I'm saying. Classic move when someone starts saying things you don't want to hear. It doesn't change the fact that what I'm saying is true. My family has three generations of Baylor grads and I live near Waco, so I don't care if you respect what I'm saying or not.
zebbie
Ashley Hodge said:

Mahan1979 said:

Saying "MY" school and claiming to be a first on a message board doesn't make you any more of a fan than anyone else. Quit being so pretentious. I completely disagree with you about Arizona, but that's ok, we don't all have to agree. I definitely hope you are wrong about Beard going to Texas, because if he does, we are really in trouble. I can stomach Tech have a great program, but never Texas. I hope that doesn't offend you, in case you're also a Texas fan. Just the way I feel.
all this consternation about Beard reminds me of last year with Jamie Dixon or a couple years before that with Shaka Smart. Rosters change every year in college basketball. Beard caught something special the last 2 years. He may be a great coach. He may just be a good coach that had two spectacular years.

He's 3-3 against Scott Drew. Before we crown him the next John Wooden let's see how the next 5 years play out for him.

I wouldn't bet the house that Tech finishes upper half of the conference next year. OU, KU, Texas, WVU, OSU and Baylor all have good looking rosters on paper. And we know how hard it is to win at KSU and at ISU.

Isn't this what makes Beard's run this year tyhat much more impressive? He had to replace five seniors and only returned two players with significant PT. He was picked no better than 7th in the conference. Wins a share of the title and plays for the national championship.

Arguably, next year's team will be deeper and more talented. He's proven he can assemble a team on the fly. I wouldn't bet against him finishing in the top half.

You seem to thing that he's good enough of a coach for Arizona, Michigan, ut etc., but if he stays at Tech, he won't be abnle to sustain his success.

Ludwig von Missi
Zebbie can't even figure out how to properly quote a post. At least we'll never have to worry about Tech catching up on the academic side of things.
whitetrash
Crash Davis said:

Zebbie can't even figure out how to properly quote a post. At least we'll never have to worry about Tech catching up on the academic side of things.
It's a very simple process, as long as you do it in the proper order:

Dough
Sauce
Cheese
Toppings
Oven
Slicer
Box
Insulated Carrier
2007 Hyundai Elantra
Ring Doorbell
Ludwig von Missi
whitetrash said:

Crash Davis said:

It's a very simple process, as long as you do it in the proper order:

Dough
Sauce
Cheese
Toppings
Oven
Slicer
Box
Insulated Carrier
2007 Hyundai Elantra
Ring Doorbell
The order is crucial!
Mahan1979
Ashley Hodge said:

Someone is feeding the book info of some sort. Maybe Beard's agent just trying to get Tech to renegotiate his 2 week old contract.

That would be an expensive buyout, but not impossible for Michigan, if he decided he wanted to go. I wouldn't be surprised if LaVall Jordan or Billy Donovan got the job. Some saying Mark Few, but I don't see him leaving Gonzaga.
Ashley Hodge
Staff
Mahan1979 said:

Ashley Hodge said:

That would be an expensive buyout, but not impossible for Michigan, if he decided he wanted to go. I wouldn't be surprised if LaVall Jordan or Billy Donovan got the job. Some saying Mark Few, but I don't see him leaving Gonzaga.
$3 million would be an expensive buyout for the greatest coach since Gregg Popovich? Seems shortsighted to me.
zebbie
Ashley Hodge said:

Mahan1979 said:

Ashley Hodge said:

$3 million would be an expensive buyout for the greatest coach since Gregg Popovich? Seems shortsighted to me.

If he's so over-rated, flash in the pan, shouldn't you want him to stay?

If I posted on this board three years ago that Beard would go to the Elite 8 in his second year and play for the title in this third, almost winning it, what would your reaction have been? How many other coaches have his credentials in just four years as a D1 HC?

The Popovich comparison is interesting, however. I'm a huge Spurs fan and Beard is essentially using his formula. Lives and dies by nasty defense. Is a team builder. Has even brought in several foreign players. With Beard, you should just look at his results- it's also how he's achieved those results. Fundamental hoops and teamwork.
TerranceJ
PartyBear
He is the Briles of men's hoops. He isnt overrated. He also isnt leaving Tech for anyone except perhaps Texas and Tech looks to have tried to make that very difficult.
Glu11
TerranceJ said:

I definitely don't think Beard is at the same level as Gregg Popovich, the greatest of all-time. However, I do think he's got potential to be one of the greatest college basketball coaches, in time. We've only seen a small sample, so far. I can tell you this for sure, I would trade Scott Drew in a second if I had the chance to get Beard at Baylor.

I wouldn't. Drew is criminally underrated. He has 2 elite 8s and 4 sweet 16s under his belt. He trots out a top 20 offense almost every year regardless of the turnover. His teams never quit regardless of how a season is trending. Baylor has been the best team in the big 12 not named Kansas for the past 10 years. Drew has shown as much potential as Beard has.

I dont think Baylor should want to swap coaches with Tech at this point, nor do I think Tech should want to swap coaches with Baylor. Beard may end up being a hall of famer but it is waaaaay to premature to make that call. For now I'll keep the coach who has proven his team can perform at a high level year in and year out.
Ludwig von Missi
PartyBear said:

He is the Briles of men's hoops. He isnt overrated. He also isnt leaving Tech for anyone except perhaps Texas and Tech looks to have tried to make that very difficult.
He is gonna win a ****load of games and then burn the program down to the ground? Nice.
PartyBear
No our Regents did that. I dont think the Tech Regents who are held accountable to the public as well are going to do anything like that.
Ludwig von Missi
PartyBear said:

No our Regents did that. I dont think the Tech Regents who are held accountable to the public as well are going to do anything like that.
bubbadog
Seems to be a lot of binary thinking on this thread. If you're a Baylor fan, you're supposed to think that Beard is (a) overrated or (b) going to leave at the first opportunity because he's not overrated.

And if you think Beard is an excellent coach, you must be a Tech lover and not a real Baylor fan.

Some of you old timers may remember the famous fight at the end of a Baylor-Tech game at H.O.T. in 1974-5 season when Baylor fans blocked the refs and Tech players from getting off the floor. Baylor got in trouble with the SWC over that. I'm proud to say I was one of the participants on the Baylor side. (Piss on Tech and the refs deserved it.) I also happen to think Beard is a really good coach. You're free to claim I'm a Tech lover. And also free to kiss my ass.
"Free your ass and your mind will follow." -- George Clinton
Stefano DiMera
Yeah..read my post on page 1..only $3 mil for non Big 12 team
bubbadog
I could see Beard going to Michigan a lot easier than to Arizona.

Huge alumni base, strong fan support, excellent basketball tradition. Plus a conference where basketball isn't a stepchild. Lots more opportunity for TV exposure with Michigan than Zona.

Even so, I think the odds favor him staying at Tech right now.
"Free your ass and your mind will follow." -- George Clinton
bunation
Crash Davis said:

PartyBear said:

He is gonna win a ****load of games and then burn the program down to the ground? Nice.

Grow up.
Ludwig von Missi
bunation said:

Crash Davis said:

PartyBear said:

Grow up.
It was a joke. You obviously don't think my jokes are funny, which is perfectly fine. But don't be the ****** bag that takes jokes seriously. I think this is the second or third time in the last week.
xiledinok
I m told a bunch of youngsters plan on watching the NBA draft because Texas Tech has two guys getting drafted after their big run this season.
Things must be upside down in the world because little boys in Texas are supposed to watch the NFL draft.
Beard isn't going to Michigan. Billy Donovan appears to be a legit candidate,
xiledinok
bunation said:

Crash Davis said:

PartyBear said:

Grow up.

I think you need to give advice to others mentioned in this thread.

Bunation, I ve been around plenty of heavy drinkers and alcoholic parents. I ve seen their kids. You know who reminds me of a kid of alcoholic parents? I'll hang up and give you a chance to answer.
zebbie
Looks like Adams is staying in Lubbock.
Fozzie
good, I want Texas Tech and KU to be top 10 pre-season. It won't matter, Baylor is winning the conference next year. If there is one thing that I have learned about guys with drug problems who beat their girlfriends up, they are unreliable. Bad character always shows up at some point in the season.
xiledinok
Fozzie said:

good, I want Texas Tech and KU to be top 10 pre-season. It won't matter, Baylor is winning the conference next year. If there is one thing that I have learned about guys with drug problems who beat their girlfriends up, they are unreliable. Bad character always shows up at some point in the season.

You sure are reassuring after 16 seasons. After watching schools in the league change coaches several times, it feels good to see community standards on the rise.
Fozzie
xiledinok said:

Fozzie said:

You sure are reassuring after 16 seasons. After watching schools in the league change coaches several times, it feels good to see community standards on the rise.
your next good basketball opinion will be your first. No offense intended.
xiledinok
Fozzie said:

xiledinok said:

Fozzie said:

No worries. When the built in bar is set so low no one outside your community will give you the time of day, you just settle for less.

Also, Brad Stevens was hyped as a great coach on this board. I guess when you have never seen it, you will not be able to identify it. Finishing 4th won't even get you a medal among elite competition.

Finally, young developing boys are watching the NBA draft this year. They want to see the guys they watched go to the Final Four get drafted. The competition isn't getting worse it appears. Praying for the competition to lose their coach or choke never works. God doesn't care who wins.
Ludwig von Missi
xiledinok said:

Fozzie said:

xiledinok said:

Fozzie said:

No worries. When the built in bar is set so low no one outside your community will give you the time of day, you just settle for less.

Also, Brad Stevens was hyped as a great coach on this board. I guess when you have never seen it, you will not be able to identify it. Finishing 4th won't even get you a medal among elite competition.

Finally, young developing boys are watching the NBA draft this year. They want to see the guys they watched go to the Final Four get drafted. The competition isn't getting worse it appears. Praying for the competition to lose their coach or choke never works. God doesn't care who wins.
You talk to a lot of young developing boys?
xiledinok
Crash Davis said:

xiledinok said:

Fozzie said:

xiledinok said:

Fozzie said:

You talk to a lot of young developing boys?

You have to try to go personal with innuendo about child molestation. The truth must hurt your feelings. It was eye opening to find out a bunch of kids have started following Texas Tech basketball.
We best take our recruiting game to the next level. Eddie Sutton's old handler has a strong pipeline in Chicago.
BearlyHereBear
History doesn't matter.
Kansas is gonna suck from now on....
People shouldn't fear their government. Governments should fear their people. -V
xiledinok
BearlyHereBear said:

History doesn't matter.
Kansas is gonna suck from now on....
Do you think Kansas will just throw in the towel with excuses about why they cannot win conference or go to the Final Four?
I am surprised Oklahoma's Final Four banner from several years ago hasn't broke off a piece of the blighted Lloyd Noble ceiling. OU would have to special order parts to replace that ceiling because it's so outdated.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.