Story Poster
Photo by © Stephen R. Sylvanie-USA TODAY Sports
Baylor Basketball Recruiting

BREAKING: Baylor MBB adds transfer from UNLV

May 6, 2019

Baylor adds Jonathan Tchamwa Tchatchoua (JTT) as a transfer.  Tchamwa is a 6-8, 230-pound forward who played his freshman season at UNLV. He averaged 3.4 points and 3.5 rebounds in 13 minutes per game. JTT possesses a 7-2 wingspan, a 40-inch vertical leap and a rep for being elite in his work ethic.

These highlights of JTT during the NBA Global Basketball Academy show his raw potential.  He has only been playing basketball for 4 years.  

With Baylor’s track record of developing bigs, the future is bright for both parties.  JTT will remind Baylor fans of Quincy Acy with his motor and quick leaping ability.  He should be an impact big for the Bears in future years.  

http://instagr.am/p/BxIH8V8lkGr

Discussion from...

BREAKING: Baylor MBB adds transfer from UNLV

12,468 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by EasyE
OldBurlyBear86
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What an awesome way to start my week!!!
CNC
Can't wait for his first John Morris interview
Alf
Great news! Is he eligible to play this season?
CTbruin
Great news!
BearFan33
Nice highlights. An Acy like finisher; I like it.
ABC BEAR
Welcome Choo-Choo.
Ashley Hodge
Staff
Alf said:

Great news! Is he eligible to play this season?
has to sit out this year (redshirt freshman) and then will have 3 years of eligibility left
Big_Pumpin
Transfer U baby
Ashley Hodge
Staff
a lot of success with transfers...

Ekpe Udoh: Michigan - Baylor
Brady Heslip: Boston College - Baylor
Gary Franklin: Cal - Baylor
Royce O'Neale: Denver - Baylor
Manu Lecomte: Miami - Baylor
Freddie Gillespie: Carleton (D3) - Baylor
Mario Kegler: Miss St - Baylor
Jared Butler: Alabama - Baylor

only Bobo Morgan has not worked out: UCLA - Baylor

lots of success with JUCOs obviously: Pierre, Chery, Medford, Omot, Acuil, Bandoo

Wait til you see these two next year...

Macio Teague: UNC Asheville - Baylor
Davion Mitchell: Auburn - Baylor

And then hopefully two more to sit this year

JTT: UNLV - Baylor
???
DocCrowl
He needs to work on his traveling while heading to the hoop. I have no idea how he wasn't called for as many as 4 or 5 steps before leaping for the dunks.
DanaDane
Always tough to reconcile the difference in mix tapes, which always show a player dominating, versus reality, where that same dominating person you just saw on the mix tape, was only able to get off the bench for 13 minutes a game and score less than 4 points a game for a UNLV team that barely finished with a winning record. I guess Deuce Bello has forever ruined my enjoyment of mix tapes.

Either way, Drew has shown an ability to getting more out of transfers than most so I will remain optimistic.
Mitch Blood Green
Ashley Hodge said:

lots of success with JUCOs obviously: Pierre, Chery, Medford, Omot, Acuil, Bandoo

???

Gillespie is a fantastic pick up. From D3 to NBA? Could happen.
Mahan1979
Very true about the mixtape highlight reels. They show those few moments where they dominated but don't represent a full picture. Rarely do you see mixtapes of players playing strong defense, yet we have seen that strong defense is important in college basketball.
BearFan33
Mahan1979 said:

Very true about the mixtape highlight reels. They show those few moments where they dominated but don't represent a full picture. Rarely do you see mixtapes of players playing strong defense, yet we have seen that strong defense is important in college basketball.
Yes, I have no idea what he would be like on man to man but long and athletic works well in the zone.
bubbadog
BearFan33 said:

Mahan1979 said:

Yes, I have no idea what he would be like on man to man but long and athletic works well in the zone.
Agree. I also agree that highlight reels are a poor substitute for actually watching the kid play a few games.

But I like this pickup. You can't teach a 7-2 wingspan. He's got a year to get coached up by our staff and then 3 years of eligibility after that. Given our staff's record in developing players, I like the chances that he be a meaningful contributor by his junior season if not sooner.
"Free your ass and your mind will follow." -- George Clinton
bear2be2
bubbadog said:

BearFan33 said:

Mahan1979 said:

Agree. I also agree that highlight reels are a poor substitute for actually watching the kid play a few games.

But I like this pickup. You can't teach a 7-2 wingspan. He's got a year to get coached up by our staff and then 3 years of eligibility after that. Given our staff's record in developing players, I like the chances that he be a meaningful contributor by his junior season if not sooner.
Agreed. Our staff just turned a Division III transfer into a legitimate Big 12 post presence. I have little doubt they can work with and make something of this dude.
EasyE
tommie said:

Ashley Hodge said:

???

Gillespie is a fantastic pick up. From D3 to NBA? Could happen.

NBA? I don't think so. He has limitations that don't translate well to the NBA. He seemed exploited quite a bit by Clarke in the Gonzaga game, for example.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.