Story Poster
Photo by Houston Chronicle
Baylor Basketball Recruiting

2020 four-star guard LJ Cryer commits to Baylor

June 11, 2019

Try SicEm365 Premium for $1.00!

LJ Cryer‍ (Morton Ranch HS) has given his verbal pledge to Scott Drew and the Baylor men’s basketball program.  The four-star guard has been a priority target for the Bears in the 2020 class for a long time.  At 6-1 and 175 pounds,  Cryer has a knack for scoring and setting others up. 

Cryer averaged 28 ppg and 6 assists as a junior for Morton Ranch.  Injuries have kept him sidelined in summer AAU action (Houston Hoops), but he hopes to play in Peach Jam in mid July.  The top 75 national player had offers from Texas, Texas A&M, LSU, Texas Tech, Houston, Oklahoma State and others. 

SicEm365 spoke with his dad after after his visit to Baylor in early June.  

Why Baylor?

Lionel Cryer:  Baylor feels like family.  On this last visit, Coach Tang and Coach Drew commented that LJ’s probably been on campus 25 times.  LJ was showing another visitor the campus he was so familiar with it.  We decided style of play and the fit were right for LJ.  

What makes LJ such an effective scorer?

Cryer:  He has a great feel for the game.  He just knows how to score.  He has a consistent form on his shot and is quick enough to score off the bounce.  I think what makes him unique is that he also has the ability to create for others as well.  

What does LJ want to major in at Baylor?

Cryer:  I would say that is undecided, possibly business.  He’s a good student, he takes care of his business in the classroom.  LJ is all about hoops and the books.  

What did it mean to your family to know that Baylor made LJ the top priority for a long time?

Cryer:  It was really important to us.  Baylor let us know that LJ was the top priority for them as a guard and they kept their word about showing that through his recruitment.  

As a dad, are you excited that LJ decided to stay in state to attend college and play basketball?

Cryer:  His mom and I are really excited about that.  We told him that you could get everything you want in the state of Texas.  Scott Drew gives his guards a lot of freedom which we like.  We have built a strong relationship with Jerome Tang.  I have a brother that has opened a business in Waco which is another plus.  Everything pointed to Baylor and he decided to shut it down and commit.  Sic’Em!  

Discussion from...

2020 four-star guard LJ Cryer commits to Baylor

11,205 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Ashley Hodge
Ashley Hodge
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
big time get here. Can do the thing that is the hardest part of basketball, putting the ball in the basket. Great family and great fit.
BigBeauregard
Great pick up!
Ashley Hodge
Staff
BearFan33
Great news! Thanks for the article.
lawmaker
How serious were his injuries?
Ashley Hodge
Staff
lawmaker said:

not serious he should play in Peach Jam
Mahan1979
historian
Ashley Hodge said:

lawmaker said:

not serious he should play in Peach Jam
You're starting to make me hungry!
rudylaw
Too bad EGOT isn't here to weigh in on this top 75 get*

*Not too bad
DanaDane
Awesome pickup here. I realize now the new world will rely more on transfers, but good to see a strategy where we bring in some good 4 year recruits with those transfers.
Grizz Air
rad. SIC 'EM!
2022 Adopt-a-Bear: Mark Milton #3 CB
vanillabryce
This kid looks like a baller! Nice job by the staff of building the relationship early.
BUbackerinET
Lots of skills - very quick first step!
Ashley Hodge
Staff
good article here

http://katytimes.com/sports/article_5100cf9a-8ed4-11e9-88f5-77c88a626d1f.html
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.