Gotta be honest. This team not at all what I expected

10,078 Views | 75 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BaylorOkie
Mitch Henessey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
They also lost to Northern Kentucky with their best players. And are playing tonight tonight without one of their best players. I get that they're better than their record shows, but if we're truly a Top 5 team (30+ win expectation would mean we are Top 5), we need to house a team like this.
Ashley Hodge
Staff
it's a long season but we don't look like a 30 win team right now. Let's win this one and see how we look against Villanova, Arizona and Butler before we hit the panic button. Villanova looked like trash against Ohio State and now they look pretty dang good.
BaylorOkie
Ashley Hodge said:

it's a long season but we don't look like a 30 win team right now. Let's win this one and see how we look against Villanova, Arizona and Butler before we hit the panic button. Villanova looked like trash against Ohio State and now they look pretty dang good.
Forgive me if I am not all that worried right now. How many times over the years have we seen people hit the panic button only to have Drew's teams kick into high gear in January and February.
Mitch Henessey
BaylorOkie said:

Ashley Hodge said:

Forgive me if I am not all that worried right now. How many times over the years have we seen people hit the panic button only to have Drew's teams kick into high gear in January and February.
Oh, I'm by no means worried. You guys know me, I'm one of the guys preaching patience every year on the bball boards (bearAZfan on bfans). I just think the preseason hype was a bit much, and it was promulgated by some of the staff at this site.

I think we're very much a Sweet 16 team, by the way. But we have a lot of work to do to get there.
Ashley Hodge
Staff
Mitch Henessey said:

BaylorOkie said:

Ashley Hodge said:

Oh, I'm by no means worried. You guys know me, I'm one of the guys preaching patience every year on the bball boards (bearAZfan on bfans). I just think the preseason hype was a bit much, and it was promulgated by some of the staff at this site.

I think we're very much a Sweet 16 team, by the way. But we have a lot of work to do to get there.
Tristan has to play like he was playing in January 2019 for us to be a Final 4 caliber team... there is no doubt about that. Mayer also has to be a key player making up for some of the things that we will miss with Mario gone. Both Tristan and Mayer have a lot of rust due to not practicing until September.. they are 3-4 months behind other guys in that regard.
GruntTuff
This team might score 100 one night and 55 the next because they are so 3 point shot dependent.

I like this team a lot. Drive and kick. Drive and dunk. Drive. Drive.

And play in your face man to man defense.

This team is playing anew style. Give them time. They are going to embarrass some Big 12 teams.
Shakesbear
Baylor3216 said:

Very disappointing thus far

Drew's teams always improved over the season but so far

Woooooooooofff

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS!!!!
Retreat Hell! We just got here! The 2/5
rudylaw
GruntTuff said:

This team might score 100 one night and 55 the next because they are so 3 point shot dependent.

I like this team a lot. Drive and kick. Drive and dunk. Drive. Drive.

And play in your face man to man defense.

This team is playing anew style. Give them time. They are going to embarrass some Big 12 teams.
Jerrells/Dugat/Tweety/Bruce team was the last time we had something like this. Over a decade of length and I've forgotten how this style feels. You worry the bigs get forgotten with stretch, dribble, drive but they'll find a balance. It's the defensive prowess that's most exciting. Eliminate that last 4 minutes of the half and first 4 of the second and it was pretty suffocating. Tomorrow will tell us a lot.
rckt24
Mitch Henessey said:

They also lost to Northern Kentucky with their best players. And are playing tonight tonight without one of their best players. I get that they're better than their record shows, but if we're truly a Top 5 team (30+ win expectation would mean we are Top 5), we need to house a team like this.
That just doesn't always happen. There's a lot more parity in men's basketball.
Ludwig von Missi
Mitch Henessey said:

Yeah, but when the site's mods are pimping this team and saying the O/U is 30 wins... it's gonna increase the expectations.

When you increase the expectations like that, struggling against an exceedingly mediocre Coastal Carolina is a very bad look.
I just hope our team doesn't need a buzzer beater to beat Hartford.

Oh wait, that was our 2009-2010 team that went to the Elite Eight, was a hair away from going to the Final Four, and arguably the best team in Baylor basketball history.
Ludwig von Missi
I think we'll be ok.
Ashley Hodge
Staff
Crash Davis said:

I think we'll be ok.
Mitch Henessey
That was a solid win that will only look better as the season wears on. Love the guards on this squad.
jdrs
Great win today! Excited to continue to see this team develop and progress.
EvilTroyAndAbed
Yeah, let's keep bumping this thread.

WOOOOOFFFF!
IASIP Rocks
CSD, your girlfriend ... woof
historian
I haven't watched the entire game yet (hopefully later today), but what I saw of the Villanova game was very encouraging. Matt seems much better compared to last year. The whole team seems to be working very well together and competing at a high level. No doubt I missed some of the miscues but I also know that Coach Drew & his staff are capable of developing this team. They might actually be able to get to the Final Four. I'm looking forward to more great games.
vanillabryce
Overall the Nova game was well played, with limited turnovers. CSD switched to zone and it really frustrates the Nova guards as it took away their drives to the lane.

I thought we were "over helping" on defense on occasion. What I mean by that is our denial or help defenders were sucking in too much on drives. We were basically trading a tough 2 and giving them open threes.

One example was the ball went to the high post and the on ball defender wasn't beat (IIRC) but Mayer totally sold out and turned his back to his man and went to help. You never double from ball side - boom open three from the wing.

On the other hand I was impressed with our OB ball defense for the most part. Especially Vital. Watching Vital compete and go all out on defense brings me immense joy. So glad he chose us - and his FT shooting is coming along. His technique is there and that 63% is bound to get to 70 by end of season.
boognish_bear
historian
Just finished watching. What a great game!

Butler earned the MVP.
Ashley Hodge
Staff
historian said:

Just finished watching. What a great game!

Butler earned the MVP.
really everyone played well but I thought Macio Teague did a few savvy veteran things that slipped past my attention live. For example drawing (selling) a foul at 77-73 on a screen that resulted in free throws (and he's 90% when he gets there).
trey3216
We'll win a lot of games only turning it over 5 times
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
Baylor3216
Butler was and is da man

toughbear
Don't ever underestimate Scott Drew
boxster
Baylor3216 said:

Very disappointing thus far

Drew's teams always improved over the season but so far

Woooooooooofff
Posts like this are fine, as long as the poster comes back with a "hey I was wrong!", or "proud of this team", or "I'll eventually learn not to doubt this team", or "one game does not a season make!", or something else a little more positive..

But complainers usually are nowhere to be found when there are compliments to be handed out.
wuzzybear
I'm still not over the charge called on Acy against Zubek in the Duke game.
Mitch Blood Green
Me? I didn't have us going undefeated.
EvilTroyAndAbed
SFA just won at Duke.

College BBall be crazy
boognish_bear
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

SFA just won at Duke.

College BBall be crazy

That Duke coach must really suck
rudylaw
boognish_bear said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

SFA just won at Duke.

College BBall be crazy

He does in many ways, most not associated with coaching the game of basketball.
EvilTroyAndAbed
rudylaw said:

boognish_bear said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

SFA just won at Duke.

College BBall be crazy

Wow, not the point we're making.
rudylaw
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

rudylaw said:

boognish_bear said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

SFA just won at Duke.

College BBall be crazy

Wow, not the point we're making.

Oh gee, really? You mean the point that's been beaten to death Drew's whole career? You're never going to solve that one. His detractors will always be detractors.
historian
I do not understand the Drew haters: why are they still out there? Why do the humiliate themselves by talking trash about the most successful coach we've ever had?

Without a doubt, Coach Drew is the best chance we have to get to the Final Four anytime soon. I doubt any of his detractors will deliver mea culpas if he does. I wonder how many of them are cow trolls.
Ashley Hodge
Staff
historian said:

I do not understand the Drew haters: why are they still out there? Why do the humiliate themselves by talking trash about the most successful coach we've ever had?

Without a doubt, Coach Drew is the best chance we have to get to the Final Four anytime soon. I doubt any of his detractors will deliver mea culpas if he does. I wonder how many of them are cow trolls.
Baylor is a tremendous job especially with the new arena. But Drew should absolutely be here until he wants to retire as long as his competitive fire still burns. He runs a great program and he's getting better every year. The best days are ahead and I believe they will include conference championships, final 4s and national championships. This new arena is going to be a game-changer in terms of perception and enthusiasm for the program going forward. The path towards sustained excellence is winning 85%+ of your home games. Drew has already proved he can win on the road at a high rate and also win at neutral sites. Start winning 85% plus at home and we get #1 and #2 seeds in the tourney. And you are far more likely to get to a Final 4 when you get a #1 and #2 seed.
historian
I eagerly await the day when Baylor gets a win in Lawrence. I believe it is coming soon, maybe as early as 2020.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.