Mack wants answers as to why post-season was canceled rather than post-poned

13,660 Views | 91 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 365
boognish_bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
historian
Good for him!
boognish_bear
Saddle Up!
Sic'Em, Mack!!
BUbackerinET
Inquiring minds want to know
BluesBear
Add Mike Roth from Gonzaga to the mix
br53
Delay it two weeks then play the top 16 teams by ranking.
The battle is not yours, but God's.
2 Chronicles 20:15
IowaBear
br53 said:

Problem with that is that it's not fair to the mid majors who make March madness what it is
Johnny Bear
historian said:

Good for him!
Yeah, it's at least refreshing to see somebody actually trying to be somewhat rational and logical about all of this ridiculous hysteria. Doubt his line of thinking will prevail, however, as things like logic and common sense have clearly been abandoned lately.
jdrs
Agree with him. Postpone and in a couple of weeks see how things are. Maybe basketball can't be salvaged, but maybe other sports could be. Sad for all these athletes.
BUGWBBear
Those responsible for this mass hysteria must be beaten publically. To a pulp.
BellCountyBear
I hope someone is also demanding that seniors be able to extend their eligibility if they want to.
Stranger
IowaBear said:

br53 said:

Problem with that is that it's not fair to the mid majors who make March madness what it is

As my dear Daddy once said,

"Fair comes once a year, the first week in October, in Dallas."
I'm a Bearbacker
Porteroso
Obviously he knows the answer, his supposed question is actually a disagreement.

I saw this today. Not hard to see why someone would be somewhat mindful of the outbreak.

I also read that until contained, each person infected (healthy young/middle aged adults can have this and infect others for weeks, never knowing they had it) will infect 6 others. Gathering large groups around the country, then sending them off to other areas, seems like what you'd do if you were trying to spread the virus on purpose, not contain it.

I do think the tournament should have been played without fans, and televised/streamed for free. Load us up with ads, that's fine, but the risk is much smaller with only the players. That said, the players are going to be sweating, touching, so if even 1 player has it, everyone on both teams would get it, and again, probably never know until they infect their families, and their grandparents start dying. I do understand the fear of it.
BUmoneymaker
BUGWBBear said:

You are a moron

Just beacause you people love your precious sports doesnt mean the world needs to stick its head in the sand.

Its here and a lot more are going to get it. An abundance of caution isnt the end of the world so stop acting like a victim.

"I hope" -Red

"Apply yourself" -W.White

"Guys, who is Keyser Soze?" - K. Soze

"Tea. Earl Grey. Hot." -J.L. Picard
br53
It's not fair? Life ain't fair
br53
Wish I could give more stars.
IowaBear
br53 said:

It's not fair? Life ain't fair

Ironic saying life isn't fair but advocating for Baylor to play in a 16 team tourney ?
br53
I never said that was fair either. I just said to do it.
EvilTroyAndAbed
Porteroso said:

Obviously he knows the answer, his supposed question is actually a disagreement.

I saw this today. Not hard to see why someone would be somewhat mindful of the outbreak.

I also read that until contained, each person infected (health young/middle aged adults can have this and infect others for weeks, never knowing they had it) will infect 6 others. Gathering large groups around the country, then sending them off to other areas, seems like what you'd do if you were trying to spread the virus on purpose, not contain it.

I do think the tournament should have been played without fans, and televised/streamed for free. Load us up with ads, that's fine, but the risk is much smaller with only the players. That said, the players are going to be sweating, touching, so if even 1 player has it, everyone on both teams would get it, and again, probably never know until they infect their families, and their grandparents start dying. I do understand the fear of it.
And they'd all be flying around the country, interacting with so many new people in the airport and cities and hotels. This is basically the worst time for it.

But I agree on the Spring championships. Why can't we just wait for a bit the way the NBA and NHL are doing?
9b1deb4d-3b7d-4bad-9bdd-2
BUGWBBear said:

get a ****ing life
bear2be2
Porteroso said:

I also read that until contained, each person infected (health young/middle aged adults can have this and infect others for weeks, never knowing they had it) will infect 6 others. Gathering large groups around the country, then sending them off to other areas, seems like what you'd do if you were trying to spread the virus on purpose, not contain it.

Stop propagating hysteria with your facts and data, and take your beating in the public square.
IowaBear
bear2be2 said:

Porteroso said:

Stop propagating hysteria with your facts and data, and take your beating in the public square.

You realize he was using sarcasm right?
bear2be2
IowaBear said:

bear2be2 said:

Porteroso said:

You realize he was using sarcasm right?

BUGWB? You haven't been here long enough.

You never go full ******/aggie and you never end up on the same side of any discussion as BUGWB. He's the ultimate "Am I the @$$hole?" test. And unfortunately, unlike Trump's beautiful COVID-19 tests, his ice cold takes are in ample supply.
historian
Porteroso said:

Very interesting. But there is no reason to expect the US will experience this the same way Italy did--especially with advanced notice and deliberate efforts being taken to contain it.

I certainly understand a rational fear but not an exaggerated panic. Most people who get it will be fine. So take precautions for those few people who are vulnerable. To be honest, everyone could learn to follow basic hygiene standards routinely. For such an advanced society, it seems strange that so many people are not in the habit of basic common sense behaviors. This might wake them up to that need.
9b1deb4d-3b7d-4bad-9bdd-2
historian said:

Porteroso said:

Very interesting. But there is no reason to expect the US will experience this the same way Italy did--especially with advanced notice and deliberate efforts being taken to contain it.

I certainly understand a rational fear but not an exaggerated panic. Most people who get it will be fine. So take precautions for those few people who are vulnerable. To be honest, everyone could learn to follow basic hygiene standards routinely. For such an advanced society, it seems strange that so many people are not in the habit of basic common sense behaviors. This might wake them up to that need.
we literally have people on this board that would lick Tom Hanks face to prove their point. So there is reason to believe we will be at least as bad as Italy
Porteroso
historian said:

What is the US doing that is so advanced? We are one of the few countries in the world short on test kits, we are still allowing people in from Italy, Switzerland, Japan, who are walking through the airports and going home with not 1 single question about how they are feeling, did they come into contact with sick people, etc.

Anyone who knows anything about Italy knows it's essentially a 3rd world country, so true, there is little reason to think it will be that bad, but we also have a lot more people, and many cities of ours are much more densely populated than any in Italy. Also, I can't see Americans reacting to entire cities being forcibly contained to their city limits the same ways Italians or Chinese would react.

You are right, that a rational fear is ok. What people need is knowledge right now, so they can do the correct things. Hopefully we're over the "it's a Democrat hoax" stage of the communication.
boognish_bear
bear2be2
boognish_bear said:

There are going to be so many perfect brackets this year.
boognish_bear
bear2be2 said:

boognish_bear said:

There are going to be so many perfect brackets this year.

Maybe the top 4 seeds can schedule some of those secret scrimmages when the corona threat has lessened and they can settle it
historian
Wouldn't such a bracket be premature/incomplete without the conference championship games? We know the results of the first 2 games for the Big 12 but not the rest which are far more important. For instance, if Baylor had beaten Kansas in the Big 12 title game (certainly possible), then we would be the conference champs, the #1 team in the conference, and possibly would be back to #1 nationally.
boognish_bear
Unfortunately this one has a paywall

GruntTuff
Porteroso said:

historian said:

What is the US doing that is so advanced? We are one of the few countries in the world short on test kits, we are still allowing people in from Italy, Switzerland, Japan, who are walking through the airports and going home with not 1 single question about how they are feeling, did they come into contact with sick people, etc.

Anyone who knows anything about Italy knows it's essentially a 3rd world country, so true, there is little reason to think it will be that bad, but we also have a lot more people, and many cities of ours are much more densely populated than any in Italy. Also, I can't see Americans reacting to entire cities being forcibly contained to their city limits the same ways Italians or Chinese would react.

You are right, that a rational fear is ok. What people need is knowledge right now, so they can do the correct things. Hopefully we're over the "it's a Democrat hoax" stage of the communication.

Did you really say Italy is a third world country? Oh my. Have you ever been there? I've been there 11 times in the past 22 years, in total about half a year. Third world country? Their medical system is as good, or better, than ours.

Last year I had two stents implanted for significant blockage. I had a trip to Italy scheduled for two months later. I asked my very veteran interventional cardiologist if I should go. His answer: if you have a problem over there, you'll get treatment that is as good, or better, than what you will get here.

Densely populated cities? Have you ever been to Rome, Naples, Palermo, Milan? They are all as densely populated as New York City.

I agree with you on the other points you make, but Italy is a very reasonable comparison to the US...and in some ways, as you point out, the unwillingness of Americans to adhere to orders to maintain social distancing is worrisome.
syme
Porteroso said:

Exponential growth. It's a tough concept for all the immortals we got here.
bear2be2
syme said:

Porteroso said:

Exponential growth. It's a tough concept for all the immortals we got here.
According to worldometers.info/coronavirus/, we're up to nearly 2,300 cases and 48 deaths.

The "I don't know why we're panicking when there are only ____ cases/____ deaths" crowd is going to wake up two weeks from now wondering what the hell happened.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.