So are Teague and butler officially gone?

13,261 Views | 92 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Bear8084
Baylor3216
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Both would be mistakes along the lines of those previously who have done this before them

I don't get on here much so what's the latest
IowaBear
Baylor3216 said:

Both would be mistakes along the lines of those previously who have done this before them

I think they have a few weeks until the draft deadline to pull their names out
KIA
Baylor3216 said:

I don't think the draft evaluations have even happened yet. Their decision deadline (still weeks away) may be postponed.
Baylor3216
That's what I thought. Thanks

Hope they don't make the mistake of QM etc
Ashley Hodge
Staff
we may not hear of their decisions until early August. Most of the evaluations I have seen have Butler mid to late 2nd and Teague not drafted. Europe is going to be more uncertain with the effects of the coronavirus on finances. I would expect them both back. We will see.

NBA draft is likely late September.
ABC BEAR
Ashley Hodge said:

we may not hear of their decisions until early August. Most of the evaluations I have seen have Butler mid to late 2nd and Teague not drafted. Europe is going to be more uncertain with the effects of the coronavirus on finances. I would expect them both back. We will see.

NBA draft is likely late September.
As the draft isn't until September, the question is whether they enroll for Fall semester or not.
Johnny Bear
Hoping at least one of them returns.
BluesBear
Recent MM projections had Baylor with a #1 seed, so my guess is they expect them to return this fall.
historian
If they both return, Baylor might be the preseason #1.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
pwactwac
overall #1, I hate that kind of pressure lol. Make it #4 and a 1 seed. Perfect place to be....
historian
Good point. But they handled the pressure pretty well for 5 weeks earlier this year--longer than any other team since 2015.
DanaDane
Gonzaga will be #1 in the overwhelming majority of predictions and polls, even with the return of Teague and Butler. We will be 2, 3 or 4 in almost every poll.
IowaBear
People still actually think both are coming back!? It's not happening. With that said it paves the way for Mayer to take flight! He will have a huge Junior Campaign
Johnny Bear
IowaBear said:

People still actually think both are coming back!? It's not happening. With that said it paves the way for Mayer to take flight! He will have a huge Junior Campaign
Hope you're right. No question there's a lot of talent and potential there if can finally learn to consistently play under control and make good on court decisions.
Baylor3216
Better? Yes

Not sure I see him ever being the big 1 of the big 3. Ever
IowaBear
Baylor3216 said:

Better? Yes

Not sure I follow what you're saying? You're saying you don't think Mayer will ever be a top 3 player during a season on a Baylor team?
IowaBear said:

Baylor3216 said:

Better? Yes

Not sure I follow what you're saying? You're saying you don't think Mayer will ever be a top 3 player during a season on a Baylor team?
Mayer will never be a top 3 player during a season on a Baylor team, correct. Perhaps if he transfers to Davidson or Indiana State, but not at BU. He's not a good defender and has unreliable handles. There are just way too many good players on this team for Mayer to be top 3. I doubt he ever starts TBH.

Teague is staying, but if Butler leaves then they'll probably move Mitchell to PG with Teague and Flagler starting at the wings. If not that, then Cryer at PG with Mitchell/Teague at wing.
DanaDane
IowaBear said:

One is definitely coming back. 70/30 on the other.
Ashley Hodge
Staff
Mayer has a really high ceiling. If I were placing odds today, I would say 90% Teague returns and 75% on Butler.

Mayer definitely has All Big12/NBA potential but that may not be realized until his senior year. He's really a year younger than most in his class also so as a senior, he will be same age as most juniors.
Illinois Bear
Ashley Hodge said:

If I were placing odds today, I would say 90% Teague returns and 75% on Butler.

This is incredibly encouraging - makes my day reading this.
IowaBear
Ashley Hodge said:

Mayer has a really high ceiling. If I were placing odds today, I would say 90% Teague returns and 75% on Butler.

Mayer definitely has All Big12/NBA potential but that may not be realized until his senior year. He's really a year younger than most in his class also so as a senior, he will be same age as most juniors.

Just curious as to what your reasoning for having Teague at 90%. Granted my opinion was solely based off his interview and letter. I just didn't see anything indicating coming back was even an option
OldBurlyBear86
We honestly take the current verbiage into these statements.

Teague, as of today, is gone.

I wish I was wrong. I adore the kid and he needs seasoning.
wuzzybear
I don't know each of those kids situations but unless you are a first round guaranteed pick one more year in college could raise your stock to the tune of a extra million in the draft. So I don't really understand it but then again I;m sure each one has their reasons. Honestly I don't think Teague and Butler are really NBA matl right now, but hey, I am one dude's opinion. They do however, make our team chemistry synergism so much better.
historian
I suspect most kids who declare for the draft early (NBA or NFL) do so because they are impatient and they have been listening too much to the buzz out there about them or they are being influenced by impatient family & friends who are eager for them to become millionaires.

For Butler & Teague, there has been so much positive press because they clearly are great players and Baylor had such an amazing season. It's easy to say that they are the reason for the success in 2019-20 but they are only part of it. The coaches, the other players, & the team chemistry also contributed greatly to those results. I'm sure they realize that to some extent but it depends on how much.

Just my 2 cents worth.
CTbruin
I was told recently by someone who should know that the chances of returning were:

Teague 95%

Butler 75%
historian
CTbruin said:

I was told recently by someone who should know that the chances of returning were:

Teague 95%

Butler 75%
I like those odds.
IowaBear
historian said:

CTbruin said:

Teague 95%

Butler 75%
I like those odds.

Something must have really changed behind closed doors with Teague odds. Because based on his initial post/interview there was zero shot of him coming back.
Illinois Bear
IowaBear said:

historian said:

CTbruin said:

Teague 95%

Butler 75%
I like those odds.

Something must have really changed behind closed doors with Teague odds. Because based on his initial post/interview there was zero shot of him coming back.

You're really not backing off this one, huh?
IowaBear
Illinois Bear said:

IowaBear said:

historian said:

CTbruin said:

Teague 95%

Butler 75%
I like those odds.

You're really not backing off this one, huh?

Nope, I'm sure not. Go listen to his interview and tell me that sounds like a guy whose pretty much a lock to stay.
Please go do that, then get back to me
CTbruin
And I will certainly stand by my source until proven otherwise
IowaBear
CTbruin said:

And I will certainly stand by my source until proven otherwise

And inform me where I said you can't stand by your "source" ?
Everyone's allowed to their opinion mine has been from the day he announced that he's as good as gone. That's not changing. I also stated I'd be thrilled if I was wrong.
Fact is as of this moment the 2 are not a part of the 20/21 team regardless of what your sacred source is saying
historian
It's quite possible that he could change his mind--especially if he realizes that his draft prospects are low, or lower than he would like.

Dreams are one thing, reality often intrudes upon them. Another year of development would be good for both of them.
IowaBear
historian said:

It's quite possible that he could change his mind--especially if he realizes that his draft prospects are low, or lower than he would like.

Dreams are one thing, reality often intrudes upon them. Another year of development would be good for both of them.

Of course! You're pretty much confirming what I and most have said all along and that's that he's no where near ready
Keyser Soze
CTbruin said:

Teague 95%

Butler 75%
This is 80% correct
CTbruin
Beginning to remember why I don't post much anymore
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.