So are Teague and butler officially gone?

13,314 Views | 92 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Bear8084
setshot
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I am inclined to accept the view of CTBruin on this issue, as I have found him to be reliable in the past and his sources are often as reliable as he is. Iowa Bear holds to a view that, at the time of the original announcement, seemed as likely ((if not more so) as any other scenario and he made a good case for it.

Much has happened since the original announcement, however, and thinking has likely changed as a result of some of those events. The NBA has been thoroughly shaken by the unprecedented number of changes brought about by Covid-19, and the reverberations have been felt at all levels of the basketball world. What might have made sense in March makes less sense now when it comes to college basketball players looking at the uncertainties that have overtaken the professional sport, and the hits may not yet be behind us.

The information that these players may be receiving is not known to us, but we do know that even for players currently considered to be lottery picks there is uncertainty about where they might be chosen when the time for choosing arrived. Butler and Teague have certainty about their educational situation, but basketball at the NBA and collegiate level remains to be ascertained and no one is "in the know" about what the status of that will be in five months, just as no one could have known what it would turn out to be five months ago.
BluesBear
I would take notice to the recent consolidation of the MLB draft and would guess that the NBA and other league will ultimately follow suit if there is any additional extension of C19 restrictions.

Both Teague and Butler need to return - neither will be drafted.
historian
From your post to their ears/eyes.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
BUbackerinET
Yes. They can always pull out, more difficult to get back in...
BluesBear
Are we still talking about Basketball?
BaylorOkie
This just showed up on my feed. Seems very promising.

rudylaw
IowaBear said:

Illinois Bear said:

IowaBear said:

historian said:

CTbruin said:

I was told recently by someone who should know that the chances of returning were:

Teague 95%

Butler 75%
I like those odds.

Something must have really changed behind closed doors with Teague odds. Because based on his initial post/interview there was zero shot of him coming back.

You're really not backing off this one, huh?

Nope, I'm sure not. Go listen to his interview and tell me that sounds like a guy whose pretty much a lock to stay.
Please go do that, then get back to me
It's almost as if people... change their minds?
IowaBear
rudylaw said:

IowaBear said:

Illinois Bear said:

IowaBear said:

historian said:

CTbruin said:

I was told recently by someone who should know that the chances of returning were:

Teague 95%

Butler 75%
I like those odds.

Something must have really changed behind closed doors with Teague odds. Because based on his initial post/interview there was zero shot of him coming back.

You're really not backing off this one, huh?

Nope, I'm sure not. Go listen to his interview and tell me that sounds like a guy whose pretty much a lock to stay.
Please go do that, then get back to me
It's almost as if people... change their minds?

So let's put out a letter and do an interview then decide to return? Look I've stated a million times I'd welcome them back. But anyone who listened to Teagues interview and thought this is a guy whose coming back is missing a few brain cells. I've also like everyone said over an over he's not even close to NBA material at least not yet.
historian
When was this interview? I don't think I've heard it yet but unless it was in the past couple of days it may be outdated. It is quite possible Teague will change his mind before the deadline. No doubt he has had plenty of time to reconsider and has heard some of the scuttlebutt about his draft stock. He might realize that he'll have a much better chance to be drafted after another year of development--especially if Baylor makes it to the Final Four in 2021.

Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but I believe both Butler & Teague could very well return for another year. I remember Mark Vital promising to work on them to convince them to do so as he did. I want to believe that he will be effective. We will know in time.
IowaBear
historian said:

When was this interview? I don't think I've heard it yet but unless it was in the past couple of days it may be outdated. It is quite possible Teague will change his mind before the deadline. No doubt he has had plenty of time to reconsider and has heard some of the scuttlebutt about his draft stock. He might realize that he'll have a much better chance to be drafted after another year of development--especially if Baylor makes it to the Final Four in 2021.

Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but I believe both Butler & Teague could very well return for another year. I remember Mark Vital promising to work on them to convince them to do so as he did. I want to believe that he will be effective. We will know in time.

Interview was right around time he announced he was declaring. Just a lot of past tense in it. Again I want them both back. Would love to be wrong (sounds like I maybe) and you're probably right he may have had people in his ear telling him to wait a year
BUbackerinET
Haha! Purely unintentional - good catch!
topcrickets
Johnny Bear
It's obviously July now. Anything further on either one of them?
Ashley Hodge
Staff
Johnny Bear said:

I expect them both to return to Baylor and lead the Bears to a natty.
IowaBear
They return and Clark comes back to live will win it all I guarantee it! Also think Mayer takes a huge leap. Dainja will raise some eyebrows too! Maybe the UNLV kid makes an impact too. The big mystery is Flagler and all is hype. Is he really an instant upgrade over abandon who single handily won Baylor 3 games last year
Ashley Hodge
Staff
Flagler is a stud. I think these 4 guards (Teague, Butler, Mitchell, Flagler) are by far the most complete backcourt in college basketball. Not really that close. All 4 can score and defend. All four are intelligent and fierce competitors. Nightmare for opponents.
Ashley Hodge
Staff
there is no drop off with Flagler in other words.
Baylor3216
Would suck to not play basketball this year.

They should move the election up so we can get corona behind us
rudylaw
I'm not expecting basketball this year. I just can't afford to get my hopes up with this team only to see it all suspend. It'll be a massive surprise if it falls the other way.
BluesBear
Basketball will be delayed a bit until after the election - then everything will be back to normal.

Ashley - need to replace the word "intelligent" with "exceptional floor awareness". By using the word "intelligent" you are stating that the other players on that team are not or other players from other teams. This could be deemed as offensive and I'd hate for someone to boycott playing until all players are "intelligent".

Ashley Hodge
Staff
ha-basketball intelligent. I have no idea about anyone's actual IQ nor do I care much. Give me grit over IQ any day. But I do remember Butler started out in engineering and Flagler pre med.
BUbackerinET
Both areas pretty academically challenging, for sure
Johnny Bear
Ashley Hodge said:

Johnny Bear said:

I expect them both to return to Baylor and lead the Bears to a natty.
Hope your expectation is realized. And I also hope we have college basketball for the '20-'21 season (which I'm cautiously optimistic we will have).
Ashley Hodge
Staff
pro leagues overseas seem to be doing fine so far
Keyser Soze
I freaking hold my breath every time this thread is updated
setshot
Ashley, the Europeans and the Chinese have done a better job of handling this pandemic than we have, largely because they followed the game plan that the George W. Bush and the Barack Obama administrations prepared, the latter building on the former. We discarded it and let it play out. I wish that I were more optimistic, much as you are. We will just have to wait and see......
Johnny Bear
setshot said:

Ashley, the Europeans and the Chinese have done a better job of handling this pandemic than we have, largely because they followed the game plan that the George W. Bush and the Barack Obama administrations prepared, the latter building on the former. We discarded it and let it play out. I wish that I were more optimistic, much as you are. We will just have to wait and see......

We've done about as well as you could expect. Most of this is political in nature and will likely be over (at least as far as an obsessively all consuming story) after the November election - regardless of what is going on with the virus at that point.
historian
Sad, but true.
Keyser Soze
setshot said:

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/mortality

Deaths per 100K

UK, Spain, France, Italy > US

China has zero respect for civil rights or individual freedom - also no trust in what they report to the world as accurate.
historian
Keyser Soze said:

setshot said:

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/mortality

Deaths per 100K

UK, Spain, France, Italy > US

China has zero respect for civil rights or individual freedom - also no trust in what they report to the world as accurate.
The Chinese have been lying to the world about coronavirus from day 1. Whether intentional or not (& since we seem to be entering a new Cold War, we cannot ignore either option), the Chinese have unleashed biological warfare on the entire planet. There is no reason to believe anything they say about the virus--they cannot even be honest about when & how it started. We certainly cannot trust their numbers.

Remember: this is a communist dictatorship. Under Mao, they had the Great Leap Forward & the Great Proletarian Cultural Revolution which resulted in the deaths of apx 50 million Chinese. And this is the same corrupt regime.
CTWallace
setshot said:

So many things wrong with this post...

1. Numerous European countries have more deaths per capita than the US (UK, Italy, France, Spain, Belgium and Sweden, for example) even though Andrew Cuomo is not a governor in Europe.

2. The virus spawned in China then they lied about it and let it spread.

3. Did you really write that Europe and China followed some plan put together by Bush and Obama? Who exactly said you're supposed to cover up then lie about a new virus?

I remember the good ole days when liberals still had a little pride and didn't think making themselves look stupid was a small price to pay for attacking America or conservatives.

historian
CTWallace said:

setshot said:

So many things wrong with this post...

1. Numerous European countries have more deaths per capita than the US (UK, Italy, France, Spain, Belgium and Sweden, for example) even though Andrew Cuomo is not a governor in Europe.

2. The virus spawned in China then they lied about it and let it spread.

3. Did you really write that Europe and China followed some plan put together by Bush and Obama? Who exactly said you're supposed to cover up then lie about a new virus?

I remember the good ole days when liberals still had a little pride and didn't think making themselves look stupid was a small price to pay for attacking America or conservatives.
Sometimes I wonder if they are trying to help Trump's re-election campaign.
rudylaw
The big difference between the rest of the world and the US is many basic public-health measures, such as wearing a mask and staying home when the virus is spreading in a community, have been couched as political choices. You can also tack on ridiculous misinformation since day 1 like "masks make my blood oxygen level decrease so I can't wear one" for fun too.
historian
Another big difference is that the US still does not have socialized medicine. THANK YOU GOD!!! At least not yet and we seem to be getting closer all the time.
Mitch Henessey
historian said:

Another big difference is that the US still does not have socialized medicine. THANK YOU GOD!!! At least not yet and we seem to be getting closer all the time.
It'd really be a shame if everyone who got sick had access to quality care.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.