Story Poster
Photo by @Raymond Carlin III
Baylor Basketball

BREAKING: MaCio Teague to Return For Senior Season

July 29, 2020

MaCio Teague is returning for his senior season.

The Baylor guard—who entered his name in the NBA draft in April—made the announcement Wednesday afternoon during a Zoom call with Stadium reporter Jeff Goodman.

“We have a pretty good team here at Baylor,” Teague told Goodman. “We’re returning a lot of players. We have a chance to do something special next year. I feel like Baylor is a good fit.”

A UNC-Asheville transfer, Teague averaged 13.9 points and 4.6 rebounds last season for a Bears squad that went 26-4 overall and 15-3 in Big 12 action. He shot 40 percent from the field overall and 35.5 percent from three-point range. The Bears won a school record 23 straight games and were ranked No.1 for five straight weeks.

Teague said the challenges presented by COVID-19 made the pre-draft process difficult.

“It was definitely a strange process,” Teague said. “We were doing interviews at home on Zoom. We didn’t get a chance to go work out (or) fly out and meet guys at the workouts and play against people and compete. It was definitely a strange year to do anything.”

Baylor is now awaiting the decision of leading scorer Jared Butler (16.0 points), who also entered his name in the draft. If Butler returns, the Bears will bring back four starters from its 2019-20 team and will likely be ranked No. 1 entering the season.

Check back later today for more on Teague’s decision.

UPDATE: Here are some quick thoughts from Baylor coach Scott Drew on Teague’s announcement:

“The staff is extremely excited. Not only because of the obvious stuff on the court, but because MaCio is a great teammate, a great leader. He makes going to practice that much more enjoyable because of the energy he provides every day. He's an energy giver.

We definitely trusted MaCio and his family. He's got a great inner circle, a great family. He's a thinker. He's not going to make a quick decision. He's not going to do something he hasn't prayed about or make a choice he hasn't put a lot of time in effort into making.

From a selfish standpoint we all wanted him to come back. But if he found or heard what he was looking for with the NBA, we'd have been happy for him in that realm, too. But this year was such a different type of year. With no workouts or no in-person stuff, it was hard to move up in the draft.

This helps our team so much. Basketball-wise, he's very fundamentally-sound. He can score in a variety of ways. He's somebody that the defense has to account for each and every minute. His passing really got better. On the defensive end, before his injury, he was really making strides. Rebounding-wise, too. Those two facets were huge as far as getting us in transition.

Everyone is excited. Everyone loves MaCio and everyone knows he's a great player. This gives us a chance to finish what we started last year. Besides the playing part, this team is so close. He is one of their brothers. They didn't want to lose him. He's such a huge part of this family. We're glad he's going to be around for another year.”

*Note: Drew said Teague is currently rehabbing his wrist in his hometown of Cincinnati. He should be back to Waco soon and should be cleared for contact in a few weeks.

Discussion from...

BREAKING: MaCio Teague to Return For Senior Season

7,976 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by historian
Brownbw
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BluesBear
Good decision - time for Butler to get onboard as well.
historian
TrustTheProcess said:

Good decision - time for Butler to get onboard as well.
I think Butler will realize it's in his best interest to play for Baylor another year.

I also think that with all these great guys returning and possibly having Tristan Clark back at 100%, Baylor will have reached elite status undeniably--especially considering all the other talent we are going to have.

It's a great time to be a Baylor Bear!!
gobears20
Staff
IowaBear
I will eat my crow! Good to have him back to chase a natty!
historian
Great video! Not overly fond of the "music" that accompanies it.
HoustonBear15
FormerFlash
historian said:

Great video! Not overly fond of the "music" that accompanies it.
Why is music in quotes?
historian
I don't consider rap or hip hop to be real music. Just my personal opinion. Same with heavy metal.
chorne68
When I grew up, people did not like rock n roll. I sure like it when it is background music for Baylor sports and we are winning.
FormerFlash
So "real music" is only what you like? There are lot's of different genres out there and I don't think I know a single person who likes every single one, but delusionally acting like it isn't music is weird and a petty distinction to try and make. It's like me saying that because I love action, drama, and comedies, but I'm not a fan of romances they aren't actually movies. Of course they're movies. Not liking something doesn't make it not a thing. It's just weird to go out of your way to put it in quotes in a country where a very large percentage of people consider it their favorite genre of music.
Sic Everyone.
BluesBear
Let's not argue about the music being played. That's Teague choice. You might not agree with the choice and it might not be something you play in your car on the way to work but let's respect someone's musical selection. It doesn't change your view of him as a player and a member of the Baylor family does it?

historian
There is no question he is a great player and I am very happy he is returning to play for Baylor again.

But I still hate that style of music. I don't see why it's a problem for me to say so. It says nothing about him or against him for me to do that. It's an opinion.

Quote:

So "real music" is only what you like?
I don't like country either but it is still real music.

Quote:

When I grew up, people did not like rock n roll. I sure like it when it is background music for Baylor sports and we are winning.
I don't like heavy metal either. But I do enjoy the energy at McLane Stadium when they are playing it.

I don't understand why anyone cares. I am entitled to my opinion and everyone else is entitled to their's. If you disagree, OK. Why do you have to make an issue about it? Or are you suggesting I should censor myself because that subject is off limits?
Kingdom Bear
historian said:

There is no question he is a great player and I am very happy he is returning to play for Baylor again.

But I still hate that style of music. I don't see why it's a problem for me to say so. It says nothing about him or against him for me to do that. It's an opinion.

Quote:

Perhaps next time hold that opinion and focus on the great news?
The Kingdoms of this world have become the Kingdoms of our God and of His Christ. ~Revelation 11:15. Stand. Repent. Build.
BluesBear
It's the excitement - too much to BEAR!!!
BAYLOR IRISHMAN
I like how this thread turned into a music thread.
Mitch Henessey
BAYLOR IRISHMAN said:

Thread derailment is what we do, man.
fubar
Mitch Henessey said:

BAYLOR IRISHMAN said:

Thread derailment is what we do, man.
Hey, at least it didn't turn into a Trump thread.
fubar
Oops.
Baylor3216
Lmao this thread
DrDean
I got so excited watching this video. Teague is so athletic and unpredictable - very hard to guard. He is really fun to watch. His importance to this team can be seen in the impact his injury had on the squad the last few games. We are way better with him coming back.

Scott Drew is going to have a head coach's wet nightmare - how to mesh all our talent into a team with great chemistry like he did last year. This is gonna be so fun!
Jorkel
If rap or hip hop isn't real music ...what is it?
gobears20
Staff
FormerFlash
historian said:

Quote:

Quote:

I don't like heavy metal either. But I do enjoy the energy at McLane Stadium when they are playing it.

I don't understand why anyone cares. I am entitled to my opinion and everyone else is entitled to their's. If you disagree, OK. Why do you have to make an issue about it? Or are you suggesting I should censor myself because that subject is off limits?

You didn't say you didn't like it. You put it in quotes to insinuate it isn't music which it obviously is. It isn't your taste I take umbrage with, it's the arrogance to believe that because you don't like it, it isn't real music.

As someone else asked, if it isn't music, what is it?
Sic Everyone.
historian
noise
one step above static
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.