Story Poster
Baylor Basketball

Baylor's Top 5 Class in 2021 Destined for Greatness

November 10, 2020

Baylor’s 2021 class is the best in school history.  2012’s class might take exception to this statement.  That class included a top 10 player in Isaiah Austin, another top 40 player in Rico Gathers and one of the all time under the radar sleepers in Taurean Prince who went from a guy not ranked in the top 150 to the #12 pick in the NBA draft four years later.  LJ Rose and Chad Rykhoek were also in that 2012 class.  Rose finished at BYU and Rykhoek at Memphis.  

But this class is better coming in if you consider the smaller size (3 vs 5 players) and the quality of each signee.  Let’s get to know the guys who will be the future of Baylor basketball.

Player Height Weight Wingspan 247Rank
Kendall Brown 6-7 205 6-11 11
Langston Love 6-4 210 6-9 25
Jeremy Sochan 6-8 220 6-11 40

Kendall Brown 

Kendall is a 6-7 205 lb wing with incredible athleticism, speed, a long wingspan and a great feel for the game.  He’s spending his last year at Sunrise Christian Academy in Kansas.  His coach, Luke Barnwell, at Sunrise called him “an elite passer, defender and dominant player who doesn’t need the basketball in his hands to make an impact.” He is a consensus top 20 player in the 2021 class across all scouting services.  

His humility is off the charts
Luke Barnwell, Sunrise Christian

Barnwell calls Brown’s humility off the charts.  The comparisons have included hall of famer Scottie Pippen, Mikhail Bridges (Villanova/Suns) and Jarrett Culver (Texas Tech/Timberwolves).  Baylor is getting a versatile wing who can guard multiple positions.  Kendall is working hard on his outside shooting to get ready for Baylor.  If his outside shooting catches up to the rest of his game, look out.  

Langston Love

Langston is a 6-4 210 lb combo guard with a long wingspan, ultra competitive mindset who scores at all three levels and welcomes the challenge of guarding an opponent’s best player.  His AAU coach last summer, Tim Schumacher, said “Langston’s consistency is what really stands out.  He’s a guy that works so hard every practice, every game.  There are no bad days with him, the effort is always there.”  

His consistency stands out
Tim Schumacher, Houston Hoops

Love comes to Baylor with a polished game but his efficiency will be the key to his impact early on.  He has been compared to Eric Gordon (Indiana/Rockets) and Buddy Hield (Oklahoma/Kings).  He loves to compete.  His competitive fire reminds me of Davion Mitchell.  Langston was a teammate of LJ Cryer on Houston Hoops.  Their games complement each other well.  Love is spending his final year at Montverde Academy in Florida. 

Jeremy Sochan

Jeremy is 6-8 220 lb versatile combo forward who brings a well rounded game to Baylor.  He’s playing his final year at Orange Academy in Ulm, Germany after spending a year at La Lumiere Prep in Indiana.  His former coach at La Lumiere, Pat Holmes, says “Jeremy’s selflessness makes him an ideal teammate.  He can drive it which makes it hard for bigs to guard him.  He’s an excellent passer with a great feel for the game who can play inside or out.  And he can knock down the three pointer.”  

His selflessness makes him an ideal teammate
Pat Holmes, La Lumiere

Jeremy loves to do what it takes to win.  Jayson Tatum (Duke/Celtics) and Royce O’Neale (Baylor/Jazz) are some solid comparisons for Sochan.  Rui Hachimura (Gonzaga/Wizards) is another.  He’s not as strong as Rui, but he does shoot it better from the outside.  He shot 50% at La Lumiere and has been really efficient from 3 so far this season.  6-8 guys that can guard the interior, score inside and knock down three pointers are rare.  Baylor is getting a steal in Sochan.  

Discussion from...

Baylor's Top 5 Class in 2021 Destined for Greatness

7,855 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by historian
Ashley Hodge
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
What a tremendous class. All three have a great shot at a long professional career after Baylor. All three are hard workers, great teammates, high character guys. Baylor is blessed to have them.
Truegreen
Baylor is destined for even more greatness now! Welcome to our new signees. We plan to hang our first National Championship banner this year and Jeremy, Kendall and Langston will add to that! This is such an exciting day for Baylor!
Your chance to impact Baylor Athletics through NIL: https://www.baylorbears.com/gxg
sicemkentucky
Love this class, best we've ever had! Can't wait to see them next year...going to be fun going back-to-back...
Budogmommy
This class really dovetails well with the 2020 class. 2020 brought in the more traditional posts and point guard, and now we're filling in the roster with versatile talents who can play a variety of positions.

Given Drew's proven ability to develop talent, it will be fascinating to see what he does with the 2020 and 2021 classes. These guys are arrive with substantially more talent than what we've signed in recent years (no offense to the previous classes), so the expectations will be off the charts.

In particular, Sochan feels like a one and done candidate. Is that the expectation there?
Ashley Hodge
Staff
right now I would project all of these guys as needing a couple years in college but of course they will have the opportunity playing at Baylor to be one and done as they play in the world university games in China and then Scott Drew always plays a top 10 schedule.

The great thing about all of them is I think they come to Baylor with the right mindset of just get better every day and see where the journey takes you in the process.

Bear Fever
Welcome Kendall, Langston and Jeremy to the Baylor family. So exciting that the three of you will be coming on board to one of the best basketball programs in the country, led by one of the best coaches in Scott Drew.
You will each have the opportunity to grow as basketball players, as well as growing as men under this fine staffs leadership.

The future is so bright for our mens basketball program and you guys will be blessed being a part of it. Welcome once again and I hope you will enjoy watching our run for a national championship this season as I know I will. Look forward to seeing each of you on the court very soon!

Sic'em
fuentbu1

Has to be exciting for these guys to be the class that gets the opportunity to come in and lead us to B2B Natty's.
busports
They are great players and seem like even better people. They will have great careers at Baylor. Welcome to the family.
Shippou
Glad to have such great players, and great men, coming to Baylor to wear the green and gold.
Arkoi 1845
The thought of seeing these guys playing in a brand new arena on the river, hopefully downtown, has me chomping at the bit. Go to a restaurant, then walk over to the arena and watch these guys trounce Texas. Then head back over for dessert or drinks somewhere. The perfect evening. These guys are going to bring us so much joy! And I hope their Baylor experience brings them all of the amazing relationships that it has brought me. Congratulations to these young men. And by the way, Sic Everybody!
Marlin
The future of Baylor basketball is bright! Welcome to the Baylor family.
Stacy V. Cole
Kendall, Langston and Jeremy,

Welcome to Baylor University. You will find a truly premium basketball program all the way from an exemplary coach and assistants that could be head coaches at other schools to excellent strength and conditioning coaches, outstanding trainers and support staff and the best food and nutrition that Texas (and consequently the world) has to offer.

Here is the good part. You will get an education at Baylor University and the experience of the professors, administration and fellow students that is unique to the world. These people would take you in and love you even if you couldn't dribble or hit a free throw.

Carry on and have a Blessed year.
sevenmilebeachbob
What a day for Baylor University! These are the kind of athletes with the kind of character that wins championships.
toughbear
Proud to have all three of you be part of Baylor Basketball- you guys are going to love winning!!
OsoCoreyell
What a class! I think they really do know that BU is BUilt Different. So true. Look at the love between the staff and among those players from last year's team. Where else is that in the college game? Those guys are brothers FOR LIFE! And we're so glad to have you three as part of the BU family! Some headaches coming to the Big XII!!!!
Rletbetter
These young men are going to make me smile a lot over the next few years! Baylor Basketball will continue to be a powerhouse for many years to come! Top 10 team every year is going to spoil this Baylor Bear!
Brian Ethridge
Staff
So fun to have so many sports to look forward to for the Bears.
BigBeauregard
Welcome to the family Kendall, Langston and Jeremy! Great players and even better people!
McBearenstein
This is gonna be fun....top 5 class, high character young men, new field house and Coach Drew. Let's goooooo!!!!! Welcome to the Baylor fam Jeremy, Langston and Kendall - Sic 'Em!
Scruffs Bouncer
Soooo pumped for these guys! Natty bound
chorne68
Only one of the three have signed. I will hold my breath until all three have signed.
sicemkentucky
chorne68 said:

Only one of the three have signed. I will hold my breath until all three have signed.

2 of the three, Kendall on Saturday
Ashley Hodge
Staff
Kendall official

Henry Gondorff
This class will make Baylor history. Great talent and great young men! Perfect fits at Baylor
Ashley Hodge
Staff
chorne68 said:

did you die? If not, all 3 have signed. Kendall Brown has his signing day event tomorrow at 10am CST but the LOI is in.

BUbearinARK
Ashley Hodge said:

chorne68 said:

did you die? If not, all 3 have signed. Kendall Brown has his signing day event tomorrow at 10am CST but the LOI is in.

What an amazing group of men and their families that helped get them to this point! Welcome to the Baylor family!

Up early because I didn't want to miss the 10 am event for Mr. Brown! SIC 'EM!!
I’m an optimist!

And /S in case I missed it

TE
Matthew Klopfenstein 1 catch/5 yds
AFBlue82
The versatility and length of this trio is absolutely jaw-dropping. It just goes to show how you can't put Coach Drew or this Baylor program in a box. He wins with athletic guard play and man defense or premiere length and zone defense. Looking forward to these guys coming in and competing on the wings from day one. Such an impressive group of young men!
2023 Adopt A Bear:
Corey Gordon, RS-Fr, STAR
23 TKL, 1 TFL, 4 PBUs, 97 Ret Yds

Javon Gipson, RS-So, WR
No stats
GoodNewsBears
Lets gooooo. They all seem like great kids and hoopers. I was equally excicted for all of them and can't wait to see them on the court
southtexasbear
DocCrowl
All three are amazing, idk who's the more impressive recruit! Getting developed by Drew, one of the best at really tapping into potential of any coach in the game right now, must be as exciting for them as it is for us! Honestly we could probally just put the three of them in alone and still win against almost any full team in the nation.

THEY'RE GOING TO BRING US A CHAMPIONSHIP
IowaBear
DocCrowl said:

All three are amazing, idk who's the more impressive recruit! Getting developed by Drew, one of the best at really tapping into potential of any coach in the game right now, must be as exciting for them as it is for us! Honestly we could probally just put the three of them in alone and still win against almost any full team in the nation.

I'm excited as anyone but that's a crazy take. Putting all 3 in as HS Seniors and we could beat almost any team in the nation? That's some heavy kool aid drinking right there. Short answer is no we couldn't. There's too much parity and talent.
BUbearinARK
IowaBear said:

DocCrowl said:

I'm excited as anyone but that's a crazy take. Putting all 3 in as HS Seniors and we could beat almost any team in the nation? That's some heavy kool aid drinking right there. Short answer is no we couldn't. There's too much parity and talent.
Crazy indeed. We'd only need TWO!!
DocCrowl
historian
Arkoi 1845 said:

The thought of seeing these guys playing in a brand new arena on the river, hopefully downtown, has me chomping at the bit. Go to a restaurant, then walk over to the arena and watch these guys trounce Texas. Then head back over for dessert or drinks somewhere. The perfect evening. These guys are going to bring us so much joy! And I hope their Baylor experience brings them all of the amazing relationships that it has brought me. Congratulations to these young men. And by the way, Sic Everybody!
The site for the new arena is on the banks of the river next to the Ferrell Center. That was announced months ago and I don't think it has changed. If the new hotel comes into fruition as planned, it will be across the river. Maybe someone will build another pedestrian bridge like the one going to McLane Stadium.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
Ashley Hodge
Staff
I think it ends up downtown next to Robinson Tower. The Ferrell Center parking lot spot was proposed but that situation is still being decided. It will be one of the two spots.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.