So Big 12 is going to postpone/cancel WVU/Baylor

6,843 Views | 94 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Ashley Hodge
jsuder717
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What a disaster, likely top 2 teams in the conference can't even play one game against one another. Big 12 announcement coming this afternoon...
IowaBear
Where's your sources
gobears20
Staff
What a circus

Great Baylor Merchandise -> https://bit.ly/2M8DuHk
gobears20
Staff

IowaBear
This is officially a joke. So what we are gonna okay tonight and pray the Kansas game happens so we get a whopping 11 in and have to forfeit several.
blackie
IowaBear said:

This is officially a joke. So what we are gonna okay tonight and pray the Kansas game happens so we get a whopping 11 in and have to forfeit several.
I suspect they will not be classified as "forfeits".
CST Bear
Waiting for the big 12 leadership to make dumb, ill-advised decisions that are detrimental to the conference itself is a time-honored tradition.
Just remember it could always be worse (Sloan, Stanton, Steele)
IowaBear
Either way this is pure stupidity from the B12 PLAY THE GAMES. Especially when both teams are able to play. The B12 is just cementing themselves as the circus show it truly is
gobears20
Staff
This helps Baylor not having to play three games this week and then a long week next week. It also helps WV having to play so many games this week and next leading into the Big 12 tournament .

I would rather play the rest of the season than the big 12 tournament .
CST Bear
FWIW, I think the WV program has been in Texas since last Friday...so them wanting to just get home may be playing a part.

The way I read this, however, is Baylor may have noticed that they can still play 13 (two this week and next) and claim a league title.
Stefano DiMera
Im not understanding the outrage. One or 2 of those 6 games wasnt getting played..counting tonight we should get at least 5 more in to get us to 14
IowaBear
CST Bear said:

FWIW, I think the WV program has been in Texas since last Friday...so them wanting to just get home may be playing a part.

The way I read this, however, is Baylor may have noticed that they can still play 13 (two this week and next) and claim a league title.

So BU is ducking teams if that we're true. And no I'm not saying they are ducking teams. However, if that's true one could absolutely say we're ducking games
IowaBear
So you're assuming we play 3 next week?
Right now the only guaranteed game is ISU tonight. Kansas Saturday is likely but until tip-off I'll have doubts. That puts us at 11 going into next week. And the B12 hasn't made a single announcement about make up games
CST Bear
I agree...it looks bad...I'm just spitballing what could possibly be the source of this decision. WV may be pissed that we wouldn't honor the home and home...who the heck knows.

This season has been amazing but also the biggest headache. I can't imagine how exhausted the kids must feel.
jsuder717
IowaBear said:

CST Bear said:

So BU is ducking teams if that we're true. And no I'm not saying they are ducking teams. However, if that's true one could absolutely say we're ducking games

Baylor has been ducking teams, not telling the b12 you had 6 scholarship guys available for the last 24 days is ridiculous...
IowaBear
Also to clarify I'm not outraged or anything I just don't get the rational behind this. You have two teams who are healthy and scheduled to play yet you're removing that game. Hoping to reschedule 3 games for next week? Just makes zero sense.
IowaBear
jsuder717 said:

IowaBear said:

CST Bear said:

Baylor has been ducking teams, not telling the b12 you had 6 scholarship guys available for the last 24 days is ridiculous...

Okay now you're just trolling.
jsuder717
CST Bear said:

I agree...it looks bad...I'm just spitballing what could possibly be the source of this decision. WV may be pissed that we wouldn't honor the home and home...who the heck knows.

This season has been amazing but also the biggest headache. I can't imagine how exhausted the kids must feel.

Well expecting wvu's student athletes to be on the road 8 days straight and then Baylor not coming to Morgantown is kind of ridiculous...
gobears20
Staff
Apparently Huggins has been complaining about four games in eight days. They have also been in Texas for a while.
jsuder717
IowaBear said:

jsuder717 said:

IowaBear said:

CST Bear said:

So you're saying Baylor hasn't had 6 scholarship athletes available for the last 24 days? Bc we have proof otherwise
Brian Ethridge
Staff
jsuder717 said:

IowaBear said:

jsuder717 said:

IowaBear said:

CST Bear said:

So you're saying Baylor hasn't had 6 scholarship athletes available for the last 24 days? Bc we have proof otherwise
and you're banned.

Baylor doesn't set the schedule and looks to be giving up a home game to play on the road.

Also, student medical information is private and will not be speculated upon by anyone. Baylor has to follow the protocols to return to play, just as any school does, and is ensuring the health of the players.

West Virginia (Huggins) has complained of being on the road and having the amount of games in 8 days. The Big 12 moved the game.
Stefano DiMera
I think well play 3 next week..i think the key is making sure were within the league average at end of year so no forfeits..and obviously that needs to play out till end of year to see what that number os..

I think this cancellation was more West Virginia..they werenin Austin Sat ..TCU tonight..and Waco Thurs..thats a lot of travel even if they stayed in Texas this week.
LiBeartarian
Brian Ethridge said:

jsuder717 said:

IowaBear said:

jsuder717 said:

IowaBear said:

CST Bear said:

and you're banned.
TY Brian!
whitetrash
Brian Ethridge said:

jsuder717 said:

IowaBear said:

jsuder717 said:

IowaBear said:

CST Bear said:

and you're banned.
Texasjeremy
IowaBear said:

As of now, we have to play at least 11 games to not draw a loss for playing too few. With this cancellation, if every team plays the remaining games on their schedule, the league average will be 14.8 games played and you have to be at least 4 behind to draw a punishment (though it would be hard to punish when the league cancelled one of the games anyway).
IowaBear
Texasjeremy said:

IowaBear said:

As of now, we have to play at least 11 games to not draw a loss for playing too few. With this cancellation, if every team plays the remaining games on their schedule, the league average will be 14.8 games played and you have to be at least 4 behind to draw a punishment (though it would be hard to punish when the league cancelled one of the games anyway).

So is it the average of every teams total played after this Saturday then? If so that makes sense as to why I was confused. I figured they would go based off total games played prior to to conference tournament starting.
CST Bear
With this cancelation, here's the number of games each team will have played

BU: 11
OU: 15 (not counting the 'scheduled' game on 3/1)
KU: 18
WV: 14
UT: 14
OSU: 15 (not counting the 'scheduled' game on 3/1)
TT: 14
TCU: 13
KST: 17
ISU: 15

Total: 133. Dived by 10 = 13.3 avg games played.

Unless, I'm missing something...maybe the league is trying to minimize games (and thus risk) at this point and feel like these games are meaningless bc we can be called regular season champ anyway...still seems misguided.

Like someone else said...these kids could play every day and be fine.
Texasjeremy
IowaBear said:

Texasjeremy said:

IowaBear said:

So is it the average of every teams total played after this Saturday then? If so that makes sense as to why I was confused. I figured they would go based off total games played prior to to conference tournament starting.
You are right, its total conference games played prior to the conference tournament. As of now the average will only get to 14.8, they might add games which will make that average go up a little, but if they do that Baylor will play games also.

Fun fact: If no additional games are added to the Big 12 schedule, Baylor has already clinched the conference title (even if they lose the 2 remaining games).

If Baylor loses out, they finish with a .818 win%, best Oklahoma can get to is .750 (by winning remaining 3 games), best Kansas can get to is .722.

Say the Big 12 decides to make every team play 2 games next week also, then Baylor would need to go at least 1-3 the rest of the way to clinch the conference title.
IowaBear
Okay that's where my confusion was that's good to know! But let's get a W tonight and in Allen Fieldhouse Saturday and hopefully at least 1 next week to leave no doubt!
T-REX
jsuder717 said:

IowaBear said:

CST Bear said:

Baylor hasnt had enough players. test results are shared with the conference. you cant game that system
DFW Baylor Social Media Promoter
Baylor MBA 2023
THE BAYLOR APOLOGY TOUR IS OVER!!!
Twitter: T_REX1991
Instagram: t_rex_bu
T-REX
jsuder717 said:

IowaBear said:

jsuder717 said:

IowaBear said:

CST Bear said:

provide your evidence
DFW Baylor Social Media Promoter
Baylor MBA 2023
THE BAYLOR APOLOGY TOUR IS OVER!!!
Twitter: T_REX1991
Instagram: t_rex_bu
Texasjeremy
So, to sum it up, if no more games are added to the Big 12 schedule, Baylor has clinched the conference title (provided they play the last 2 games, even if they lose). If the big 12 makes everyone play twice next week leading up to the Big 12 tournament, Baylor needs to win 1 more (they could clinch tonight in that scenario).
Stefano DiMera
Id hate to win it that way..id rather play enough and win enough where no one can mathematically catch us.4 games should do the trick.
bears1984
I can see West VA being upset. Their remaining two games are likely wins. If they did beat us in Waco they'd be back in the race and might have a chance to win the Big 12 if we travelled to Morgantown. Why go through a grueling 8 day stretch in Texas if we won't travel to Morgantown?
CST Bear
nice to know WV has this much sway in the conference already. Good grief.

I understand that there's no simple roadmap here but canceling games bt the league's top teams when both teams are healthy after one team had to sit out three weeks just seems misguided.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.