Story Poster
Photo by @Ben Ludeman-USA TODAY Sports
Baylor Basketball

Gameday Thread: #3 Baylor (18-1; 10-1) at #6 WVU (17-6; 10-4)

March 1, 2021

#3 Baylor (18-1; 10-1) travels to #6 West Virginia (17-6; 10-4) March 2nd at 4:00pm CST.  The game will be televised on ESPN.

KenPom Prediction:  Baylor 78 West Virginia 74

Coaches:

West Virginia:  Bob Huggins (67); 898-378 (308-167 at WVU) 24 NCAAs; 8 Sweet 16s; 4 Elite 8s; 2 Final 4s

Baylor:  Scott Drew (50); 382-223 overall (362-212 at Baylor); 8 NCAAs; 4 Sweet 16s; 2 Elite 8s

Head to Head:  Scott Drew 11-9

West Virginia Starters

Name Pos Class Ht Wt PPG RPG APG FG% 3pt% FT%
Deuce McBride PG SO 6-2 200 15.5 4.0 4.6 43 43 80
Sean McNeil SG JR 6-3 210 11.7 1.9 0.7 41 40 89
Taz Sherman SF SR 6-4 190 13.0 2.0 0.9 41 36 86
Emmitt Matthews PF JR 6-7 215 7.7 3.9 1.2 41 29 79
Derek Culver C JR 6-10 255 15.0 10.1 1.1 50 0 59

West Virginia Bench

Jalen Bridges F FR 6-7 220 5.0 2.8 0.3 51 42 53
Gabe Osabuohein F SR 6-7 235 1.7 4.6 2.3 33 50 39
Jordan McCabe G JR 6-0 190 2.5 1.3 1.5 30 21 85

Baylor Starters

Davion Mitchell PG JR 6-2 205 13.4 2.7 5.6 51 47 69
Jared Butler SG JR 6-3 195 16.4 3.2 4.9 48 43 74
MaCio Teague SF SR 6-4 195 14.8 4.2 1.6 46 35 87
Mark Vital  PF SR 6-5 250 5.8 5.9 1.3 47 0 49
Flo Thamba C JR 6-10 245 4.0 4.5 0.2 64 0 57

Baylor Bench

Adam Flagler G SO 6-3 180 10.5 2.1 1.5 49 43 80
Jon Tchamwa F SO 6-9 245 7.5 6.0 0.3 59 0 76
Matt Mayer F JR 6-9 225 7.5 3.6 1.1 51 45 55
LJ Cryer G FR 6-1 185 4.4 0.6 1.0 43 41 67
Discussion from...

Gameday Thread: #3 Baylor (18-1; 10-1) at #6 WVU (17-6; 10-4)

17,715 Views | 270 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by historian
Gobearsone
How long do you want to ignore this user?
EasyE said:

That one has to be up there with that Aggy game as far as gutsy wins go.
I agree but that was not for the big 12 championship after barely practicing for 3 weeks. But that game was a classic, especially since we beat Aggy.
Baylor3216
boognish_bear said:

Porteroso said:

It's over now, but I'd be so possed if I was WVU with that charge lol. Refs finally made a bad call our way.

I was shocked to see that call go our way also. At that point of the game I'm really surprised that was not just a no call.

It was a makeup call for the egregious no call when Mitchell drove to the basket to open OT
boognish_bear
Quinton said:

boognish_bear said:

Hell of a win Bears!

Go Illini!
Would be great if Illinois could win, but they're missing their best player so unlikely.

They are off to a good start at least
Bear8084
I am almost speechless. Listening to the game on the way home, it was frustrating but I could tell the guys were battling hard and really needed a few key stops. IMO I think if we didn't have the COVID break, it wouldn't have been that close of a game for us. What an accomplishment for this program and CSD and Co. Let's continue to march through March and really make this a season to remember! Sic 'Em Bears!!!!!
Quinton
Quinton said:

boognish_bear said:

Hell of a win Bears!

Go Illini!
Would be great if Illinois could win, but they're missing their best player so unlikely.
Scratch that.. Illinois is rolling. Should put us back in that #2 spot.
vanillabryce
This was a win for the ages. Guts. Skills. Coaching. Players stepping up at the right time. Playing 8 v 5.
StatMan
Proud of the Baylor Bears on playing hard, and earning a tough 94-89 OT victory over the West Virginia Mountaineers in Morgantown. Congratulations to Scott Drew, his coaches, players and support staff on becoming 2021 Big XII Conference Champions!
boognish_bear
boognish_bear
No one blocks shots like our Mamadou!

Osodecentx
boognish_bear said:

No one blocks shots like our Mamadou!

The Mayor
BUbackerinET
Good. Now you and all the other nay sayers, and chicken littles just quit bringing negativity to every damn game thread. Get on the train to the Final 4, or get off!
BUbackerinET
Mathews averages just under 8ppg, how many did he have tonight?
whitetrash
BUbackerinET said:

Mathews averages just under 8ppg, how many did he have tonight?
historian
IowaBear
What lol naysayers? I've been as high on pre Covid BU as ANYONE get out of here
BUCANDOIT82
IowaBear said:

What lol naysayers? I've been as high on pre Covid BU as ANYONE get out of here
Please someone roll the screen shots that show otherwise!
IowaBear
PLEASE DO!! I've said ALL SEASON we're good enough to win it all. Being critical of in game play for stretches is not being a naysayer. Especially when I routinely point out great play/plays.
BUbackerinET
Prefer you get outa here, and I'm certain I'm not alone...
IowaBear
Haha yeah I'm sure I'm just the most hated person on here. I think I'll stick around. It is a message board after all. Free one at that
Johnny Bear
Good grief, let's all just enjoy this without getting in stupid arguments. A lot of fans were (very happily) surprised this wasn't a loss - not because WVU is the better team, but because of the circumstances - Including me. Elated to have been wrong and that was one of the most gutsy crunch time wins I think I've ever seen. Hats off to the 2021 B12 conference Champions - they big time earned it!
IowaBear
Johnny Bear said:

Good grief, let's all just enjoy this without getting in stupid arguments. A lot of fans were (very happily) surprised this wasn't a loss - not because WVU is the better team, but because of the circumstances - Including me. Elated to have been wrong and that was one of the most gutsy crunch time wins I think I've ever seen. Hats off to the 2021 B12 conference Champions - they big time earned it!

Thank you!! It's mind blowing how thinking we're going to take an L due to the Covid issues and recent play is twisted into things like thinking this team isn't FF quality. It's also very apparent you cannot be critical of this teams play in any shape or form without being classified as some awful fan. EVERYONE on here is beyond happy we won tonight period
BearTruth
BUbackerinET said:

Good. Now you and all the other nay sayers, and chicken littles just quit bringing negativity to every damn game thread. Get on the train to the Final 4, or get off!
RIGHT? my goodness so much negative. we are in the Coach Drew positive tree form here on out. If you can't hang move along. Not talking about honest assessment and analysis - talking about this: OMG Covid ruined 2 seasons, we are done, the sky is falling crap.
BUCANDOIT82
vanillabryce said:

I repeat... Matthew ****ing Mayer
This was the best comment of the whole season. Sorry I have been busy and didn't acknowledge it sooner!
Jacques Strap
I think I watched that entire game with my eyes closed.
historian
I watched it again last week. Thus game was special, especially since our trips to Morgantown have been mixed in recent years.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.