Essentially Sports.com: Scott Drew "Jared Butler [has] not made a final decision"

6,220 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by allstate2000
texillian
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Interesting tidbit from Scott Drew on Jared Butler in this article:
https://www.essentiallysports.com/ncaa-college-basketball-news-baylor-bears-coach-scott-drew-gives-hint-about-roster-for-upcoming-2021-22-season/
Quote:

"Right now we had Davion who declared. MaCio and Mark Vital, they graduated and are preparing for their professional careers. Jared Butler had not made a final decision. If he chooses to go, he'd have our full support. I will find that out in the coming days or weeks. Matt Myer is testing the waters. After he gets his feedback, he'll make a decision."
I guess I haven't seen a declaration from Butler, but I thought all signs pointed to him heading to the draft.

Chamberman
I think everyone is expecting Butler to go, but if he stayed.........man oh man!!!
DST
Not impossible, but I'd suspect that he's shopping for the right agent. Or didn't want to step on his teammates' toes and let them have their moment before he made his announcement.

That said, if he came back, he could maybe take another step toward being an even better on-ball defender and would probably be a NPOY finalist.
Hotsauce
We can all dream, but his draft positioning isn't likely to improve by coming back for a final season.

Now MM? Just really hoping he returns so we can all see the full power of the mullet unleashed!
Baylor3216
I've always felt DM was more nba ready
BUCANDOIT82
My impression is Butler is graduating in May and is focusing on school first. The draft is moved back about 5 weeks from normal so not much will be happening before June.
historian
Chamberman said:

I think everyone is expecting Butler to go, but if he stayed.........man oh man!!!

We are all thinking the same thing: if Butler returns, we will have a huge advantage over the rest of the conference before next season even begins!! Especially if Mayer also returns. I can only imagine his good the younger guys will look with more development, maturity, & experience.

It's a good time to be a Baylor Bear!
Texasjeremy
Yeah, if for some reason he returns this is the preseason #1 team in the nation.
Ewalker80
My guess is that the guys decided to space out their announcements. That way the media and fans can have some time to focus on each one individually. After all there is no rush. Davion was first. Macio this week. Jared next week or the one after. Makes sense to me but just a guess.

Jarred made it very clear he was close to leaving last year and then he accomplished everything he set out to do. I would give anyone 100 to 1 odds he is leaving.
BUCANDOIT82
Ewalker80 said:

My guess is that the guys decided to space out their announcements. That way the media and fans can have some time to focus on each one individually. After all there is no rush. Davion was first. Macio this week. Jared next week or the one after. Makes sense to me but just a guess.

Jarred made it very clear he was close to leaving last year and then he accomplished everything he set out to do. I would give anyone 100 to 1 odds he is leaving.
I'm not taking the bet.
Baylor3216
Ewalker80 said:

Where do I send money?
historian
Ewalker80 said:

They may not have planned it out quite that way but I'll be surprised if Butler returns. Mark Vital has made it clear that he's not returning. However, I do expect Matthew Mayer will. It would be a wonderful blessing for Butler to return. Even without him we will have a strong foundation for another deep run in the next tournament.

Sic 'em Bears!!
gobears20
Staff
If he did come back where do you think we would be ranked?
BUCANDOIT82
historian said:

Ewalker80 said:

They may not have planned it out quite that way but I'll be surprised if Butler returns. Mark Vital has made it clear that he's not returning. However, I do expect Matthew Mayer will. It would be a wonderful blessing for Butler to return. Even without him we will have a strong foundation for another deep run in the next tournament.

Sic 'em Bears!!

Drew said on the Matt Mosley Show today about Mayer and his other early entries the goal is to get guaranteed money. Otherwise the goal is to come back and get the degree. Mayer is gone. Have you watched any Baylor games this year? Every time he was on the floor Baylor was better, except against Gonzaga, when his teammates jumped on top of them and beat them down.

Mayer is 6'9" tall and can create his own shot, shots for others, and shoot from the perimeter. Outside of Cade Cunningham name another layer with size who can do this in this draft.
BUCANDOIT82
BUCANDOIT82 said:

historian said:

Ewalker80 said:

Sic 'em Bears!!

Drew said on the Matt Mosley Show today about Mayer and his other early entries the goal is to get guaranteed money. Otherwise the goal is to come back and get the degree. Mayer is gone. Have you watched any Baylor games this year? Every time he was on the floor Baylor was better, except against Gonzaga, when his teammates jumped on top of them and beat them down.

Mayer is 6'9" tall and can create his own shot, shots for others, and shoot from the perimeter. Outside of Cade Cunningham name another layer with size who can do this in this draft.

Player. I need a copy editor.
Mitch Henessey
BUCANDOIT82 said:

historian said:

Ewalker80 said:

Sic 'em Bears!!

Mayer is fantastic. We all wish him well, whatever his decision may be, and the vast majority of us want him to do what's best for him. You are making some of us sound like we're rooting against him, however, when we have to rebut the ridiculous hyperbolic things you throw out there.

To note, here are the players above Mayer in the ESPN top 100 rankings who are 6'7" - 6'10" that possess the traits you listed (either because I've seen them play, or it's listed in their prospect profile):

#1 Cade Cunningham (listed at 6'8", which is why I moved the height requirements, as you said he was 6'9")
#5 Jonathan Kuminga
#9 Franz Wagner
#12 Corey Kispert
#27 Marcus Bagley
#39 Roco Prkacin
#47 Jeremiah Robinson-Earl
#48 Matthew Hurt
#49 Kessler Edwards
#50 Johnny Juzang
#53 Isaiah Livers

And those are just the guys ahead of him in the rankings. He has a rare skillset, but you're talking about him like he's in lottery conversation.

In my opinion, he will be if he comes back next year. He isn't yet. But, as I've said all along, if he gets a first round grade or guarantee from a team, he should go. I don't think that will currently happen, as there are far too many guys in the 6'4" - 6'6" range who are more highly regarded in draft circles.
Ewalker80
Mitch Henessey said:

BUCANDOIT82 said:

historian said:

Ewalker80 said:

Sic 'em Bears!!

Mayer is fantastic. We all wish him well, whatever his decision may be, and the vast majority of us want him to do what's best for him. You are making some of us sound like we're rooting against him, however, when we have to rebut the ridiculous hyperbolic things you throw out there.

To note, here are the players above Mayer in the ESPN top 100 rankings who are 6'7" - 6'10" that possess the traits you listed (either because I've seen them play, or it's listed in their prospect profile):

#1 Cade Cunningham (listed at 6'8", which is why I moved the height requirements, as you said he was 6'9")
#5 Jonathan Kuminga
#9 Franz Wagner
#12 Corey Kispert
#27 Marcus Bagley
#39 Roco Prkacin
#48 Matthew Hurt
#49 Kessler Edwards
#50 Johnny Juzang
#53 Isaiah Livers

And those are just the guys ahead of him in the rankings. He has a rare skillset, but you're talking about him like he's in lottery conversation.

In my opinion, he will be if he comes back next year. He isn't yet. But, as I've said all along, if he gets a first round grade or guarantee from a team, he should go. I don't think that will currently happen, as there are far too many guys in the 6'4" - 6'6" range who are more highly regarded in draft circles.
NIcely done. Drew's message on Mosley was exactly the same as on Rex Chapman. Expecting Mayer back --- he won't get guaranteed money and will get much more if he returns and improves. Also we have two other threads already on Mayer FYI, with some helpful analysis from mock drafts etc., in line with this one.
TWD 1974
Ewalker80 said:

Mitch Henessey said:

BUCANDOIT82 said:

historian said:

Ewalker80 said:

Sic 'em Bears!!

#5 Jonathan Kuminga
#9 Franz Wagner
#12 Corey Kispert
#27 Marcus Bagley
#39 Roco Prkacin
#48 Matthew Hurt
#49 Kessler Edwards
#50 Johnny Juzang
#53 Isaiah Livers

NIcely done. Drew's message on Mosley was exactly the same as on Rex Chapman. Expecting Mayer back --- he won't get guaranteed money and will get much more if he returns and improves. Also we have two other threads already on Mayer FYI, with some helpful analysis from mock drafts etc., in line with this one.
I see a good chance that Baylor ends up with 2 guards going in the first round this year, and 2 small forwards going in the first round next year. Amazing times in Waco!
I am fine with whatever Matt chooses to do. All of our core 8 this year have earned that in my view. Just, please, Matt, get the best advice you can on your options.
joseywales
BUCANDOIT82
Mitch Henessey said:

BUCANDOIT82 said:

historian said:

Ewalker80 said:

Sic 'em Bears!!

#5 Jonathan Kuminga
#9 Franz Wagner
#12 Corey Kispert
#27 Marcus Bagley
#39 Roco Prkacin
#48 Matthew Hurt
#49 Kessler Edwards
#50 Johnny Juzang
#53 Isaiah Livers

Remember, the hang up on Mayer is how could a player be this good and not start. Well, the team was this good. Most analysts thought Gonzaga was the best team, not Baylor. He backed up fifth year Senior and glue guy Mark Vital. The team had four outstanding guards.

That said, thank you for this list.

#1 Cunningham: I would take him number one.

#5 Kuminga: Great athlete and two years younger than Mayer. Can't shoot, but may learn to shoot. An out of the playoff team may see a higher ceiling and take him. That is what is widely expected.

#9 Wagner: Not nearly as athletic as Mayer. Not as skilled, even though he is very skilled.

#12 Kispert: Watch him drop on draft night. Did not have a good Tournament, in which he shot 28% from the three point line. Cannot create off the dribble, or for others.

#27 Bagley: He is a project. Not very skilled offensively.

#39 Prkacin: I have never seen him play, probably no one on this message board has, but let's say he is better than Mayer.

#47 Robinson-Earl: He is a power forward, but not a stretch power forward with wing skills. Not a good comparison.

#49 Edwards: Not the athlete Mayer is. He averages 1.2 steals per 40 minutes whereas Mayer averages 3.5.

#50 Juzang: Gonzaga is not a good defensive team and made UCLA look like it had a couple of Stars. He was not on the radar until the Tournament. He is also 6' 6" tall, not 6' 9" tall.

#53 Livers: Not the athlete Mayer is.

The workouts and Draft Combine will make all of this obvious. And Mayer has spectacular tape against top NCAAM competition. How many 6" 9" guys can steal the ball off the dribble of a starting guard like Mayer did in the Arkansas game when he not only thwarted the fast break, but through the ball ahead for an assist. If that wasn't the play of the Tournament, then Maybe it was when Mayer fed Vital for the one handed Monster Dunk.

Please everyone, go back and watch him play.
Ewalker80
BUCANDOIT82 said:

Mitch Henessey said:

BUCANDOIT82 said:

historian said:

Ewalker80 said:

Sic 'em Bears!!

#5 Jonathan Kuminga
#9 Franz Wagner
#12 Corey Kispert
#27 Marcus Bagley
#39 Roco Prkacin
#48 Matthew Hurt
#49 Kessler Edwards
#50 Johnny Juzang
#53 Isaiah Livers

Remember, the hang up on Mayer is how could a player be this good and not start. Well, the team was this good. Most analysts thought Gonzaga was the best team, not Baylor. He backed up fifth year Senior and glue guy Mark Vital. The team had four outstanding guards.

That said, thank you for this list.

#1 Cunningham: I would take him number one.

#5 Kuminga: Great athlete and two years younger than Mayer. Can't shoot, but may learn to shoot. An out of the playoff team may see a higher ceiling and take him. That is what is widely expected.

#9 Wagner: Not nearly as athletic as Mayer. Not as skilled, even though he is very skilled.

#12 Kispert: Watch him drop on draft night. Did not have a good Tournament, in which he shot 28% from the three point line. Cannot create off the dribble, or for others.

#27 Bagley: He is a project. Not very skilled offensively.

#39 Prkacin: I have never seen him play, probably no one on this message board has, but let's say he is better than Mayer.

#47 Robinson-Earl: He is a power forward, but not a stretch power forward with wing skills. Not a good comparison.

#49 Edwards: Not the athlete Mayer is. He averages 1.2 steals per 40 minutes whereas Mayer averages 3.5.

#50 Juzang: Gonzaga is not a good defensive team and made UCLA look like it had a couple of Stars. He was not on the radar until the Tournament. He is also 6' 6" tall, not 6' 9" tall.

#53 Livers: Not the athlete Mayer is.

The workouts and Draft Combine will make all of this obvious. And Mayer has spectacular tape against top NCAAM competition. How many 6" 9" guys can steal the ball off the dribble of a starting guard like Mayer did in the Arkansas game when he not only thwarted the fast break, but through the ball ahead for an assist. If that wasn't the play of the Tournament, then Maybe it was when Mayer fed Vital for the one handed Monster Dunk.

Please everyone, go back and watch him play.

No offense but I don't find your argument convincing. Every player above him in professional rankings like ESPN has highlights and incredible skills that you could list just like Mayer and you are ignoring criticisms of Mayer that have nothing to don with not starting like sporadic defense and FIFTY NINE percent ft shooter.
DanaDane
How the hell did a thread about Jared Butler turn into yet another Matt Mayer thread?
IowaBear
None of his arguments are convincing.... he's a Mayer super fan (nothing wrong with that) but it clearly skews his perspective
BUCANDOIT82
I love Jared Butler's game and hope he goes someplace he can star. It would be shocking if he came back!
Crawfoso1973
BUCANDOIT82 said:

I love Jared Butler's game and hope he goes someplace he can star. It would be shocking if he came back!
Let's keep our expectations realistic I love Butler but he won't star in the NBA, however I think he can be a very effective 6th man in the right situation
TWD 1974
Crawfoso1973 said:

BUCANDOIT82 said:

Let's keep our expectations realistic I love Butler but he won't star in the NBA, however I think he can be a very effective 6th man in the right situation
Unless you are an old Boston Celtics fan like me, you may not remember a guard out of Kansas named JoJo White. Butler reminds me of JoJo White: there was and is and elegance to their games that I love to see. JoJo had a long career in Boston, playing with Havlicek and then Bird, won a few championships, I believe he made the hall of fame. He could get you 30 on a given night, but was always more successful as the third option, the guy that set up the star. I could that kind of success for Jared, if he can land with a good team.
allstate2000
Butler really needs to go this year, he is projected first round; no way he could improve that by coming back for another year. Multiple first round NBA picks will serve Baylor better in the long run than one more year with Butler, as great as he is.
Matthew Mayer needs to come back and can easily become a lottery pick if he does that and focuses on improving the weaknesses in his game.
allstate2000
TWD 74 said:

Crawfoso1973 said:

BUCANDOIT82 said:

Unless you are an old Boston Celtics fan like me, you may not remember a guard out of Kansas named JoJo White. Butler reminds me of JoJo White: there was and is and elegance to their games that I love to see. JoJo had a long career in Boston, playing with Havlicek and then Bird, won a few championships, I believe he made the hall of fame. He could get you 30 on a given night, but was always more successful as the third option, the guy that set up the star. I could that kind of success for Jared, if he can land with a good team.

Not saying he's gonna end up there, but Jared is the same height as Steph Curry and in my opinion his defense is better than Curry's was in college.
BUCANDOIT82
allstate2000 said:

Butler really needs to go this year, he is projected first round; no way he could improve that by coming back for another year. Multiple first round NBA picks will serve Baylor better in the long run than one more year with Butler, as great as he is.
Matthew Mayer needs to come back and can easily become a lottery pick if he does that and focuses on improving the weaknesses in his game.
"What weaknesses in Mayer's game?"
allstate2000
BUCANDOIT82 said:

allstate2000 said:

"What weaknesses in Mayer's game?"

1) Free throw shooting, then wayy after that
2) Inside on-ball defense and 3) Ball-handling skills. He is good at #3 for his height but not for his athleticism level
Timbear
Mayer's judgement sometimes on how much to dribble around out front to create a 3pt attempt is not as consistent as his catch and shoot 3 pt. attempts.
IowaBear
Jesus dude, do you really not think he has weaknesses? You act like the dude should be the top draft pick.... there's a reason almost every scout/mock draft has him around 50.... Matt's a great player. But your homerism is reaching laughable levels at this point.
BUCANDOIT82
IowaBear said:

Jesus dude, do you really not think he has weaknesses? You act like the dude should be the top draft pick.... there's a reason almost every scout/mock draft has him around 50.... Matt's a great player. But your homerism is reaching laughable levels at this point.
Going o the record, when he is drafted in the Lottery, don't call me lucky, apologize.
IowaBear
This year??
NeuroticBear
BUCANDOIT82 said:

IowaBear said:

Going o the record, when he is drafted in the Lottery, don't call me lucky, apologize.
I'll call you the idiot you clearly are. Not even Matt's mom is this delusional.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.