Story Poster
Photo by Kuzey Kilic
Baylor Basketball

Baylor Lands Commitment from 2022 Center Joshua Ojianwuna

September 22, 2021

Get SicEm365 Premium 6 months for $18!

Joshua Ojianwuna gave his pledge to Scott Drew and the Baylor Bears on Wednesday evening.  The 6-10, 220-pound center is originally from Nigeria but is playing at the NBA Basketball Academy in Australia where current Baylor big man Jonathan Tchamwa Tchatchoua honed his skills.  

v

Ojianwuna is a perfect fit for Baylor.  He’s been described as having many of the same strengths as Tchamwa Tchatchoua:  infectious enthusiasm, high motor, great rebounder, shot blocker and finisher around the rim.

http://instagr.am/p/CUJXxd6BIHb

He averaged 10.4 ppg and 8 rebounds for the NBA Global Academy in a season that was cut short by Covid lockdowns.  

Discussion from...

Baylor Lands Commitment from 2022 Center Joshua Ojianwuna

12,133 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Crawfoso1973
DanaDane
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So, maybe this is the reason Iwuchukwu ended up at USC? Or were we waiting to see his decision and when he went USC, then we went with this guy? Anyone know?
DanaDane
Ashley Hodge
Staff
yeah this was our guy, fits like a glove
DanaDane
Ashley Hodge said:

yeah this was our guy, fits like a glove
Watched more video of this guy. LOVE IT! He runs the floor with the same enthusiasm as JTT. You just don't find big guys like that often. Lots of skills, albeit a little raw, but that's fine because there's no staff in the country who has been consistently better than Drew's in developing bigs over their careers. Count me as excited as heck!
ABC BEAR
Wowza. I love this guy already. A future NFL tight end.....who knows?
afnan
ok
Fozzie
when you look back at the big men from Africa that we have signed, how can you not be excited about Ojianwuna? The players they are, the work ethic, the ambassadors for the school. Welcome Josh!

Mamadou "The Mayor" Diene (Senegal)
Ekpe Udoh (Nigeria)
Flo Thamba (Congo)
Jonathan Tchamwa Tchatchoua (Cameroon)

1845_Society
So, we have an "everyday Josh" now too ?
Give
Task Force 2015
Fozzie and everyone else,Do you remember Steve Othoro who I believe was recruited by Harry Miller and also played for Bliss.He was not a great player but he played a role and graduated in 4 years.
Ashley Hodge
Staff
Task Force 2015 said:

Fozzie and everyone else,Do you remember Steve Othoro who I believe was recruited by Harry Miller and also played for Bliss.He was not a great player but he played a role and graduated in 4 years.
I definitely remember him, from Kenya I think. Talented prospect but had bad feet if memory serves me
vanillabryce
Fozzie said:

when you look back at the big men from Africa that we have signed, how can you not be excited about Ojianwuna? The players they are, the work ethic, the ambassadors for the school. Welcome Josh!

Mamadou "The Mayor" Diene (Senegal)
Ekpe Udoh (Nigeria)
Flo Thamba (Congo)
Jonathan Tchamwa Tchatchoua (Cameroon)

Nuni Omot too via Australia.
ahmedroyce339
The players they are, the work ethic, the ambassadors for the school. Welcome Josh!
Speed Test
Crawfoso1973
I am wondering if he will redshirt or contribute immediately? Obviously our staff already knows the answer to this question and has a plan in place for him. Our activity in the portal will be telling.
historian
Lual-Acuil too? From South Sudan via Melbourne
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
setshot
He is raw and in need of a lot of attention from our fine staff, but his size and activity on the floor will get him minutes next season and it will speed up the learning process. By the late season he won't be a rookie any longer....I really like this young man. He fits the template for big, active interior players from the international scene that Scott Drew has established at Baylor, and this will only increase the attraction of this program for players of this kind. Our success with them has been as much for the institution as a whole as it has been for the basketball connection, and that is as it should be. They define the category of student-athlete as few others have.
Crawfoso1973
setshot said:

He is raw and in need of a lot of attention from our fine staff, but his size and activity on the floor will get him minutes next season and it will speed up the learning process. By the late season he won't be a rookie any longer....I really like this young man. He fits the template for big, active interior players from the international scene that Scott Drew has established at Baylor, and this will only increase the attraction of this program for players of this kind. Our success with them has been as much for the institution as a whole as it has been for the basketball connection, and that is as it should be. They define the category of student-athlete as few others have.
Love it for our program and can't wait to see this young beast develop. And what better mentor than EJ to be in his ear all season long, imparting his knowledge.
ScottS
can he dunk?
Crawfoso1973
Why not a future NBA center?
historian
ScottS said:

can he dunk?

He will be able to by the time he finishes at Baylor.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
Crawfoso1973
Look at this video Ashley posted on twitter. He looks more polished than what I thought. Already has 3 point range.

bear2be2
Crawfoso1973 said:

Look at this video Ashley posted on twitter. He looks more polished than what I thought. Already has 3 point range.

It's hard to tell a whole lot from one short clip, but he didn't get yelled at or yanked off the court for taking that shot, which is probably a good sign. Most guys his size don't have the green light to let that fly.

His screen left a lot to be desired, but you know that will get fixed by Drew and Co. Our bigs set the best screens in the game.

Edit: After rewatching it, it looks like they were playing with a shot clock, so he had to shoot it. With that in mind, there's really not much at all that can be concluded from this video. Nice shot, though.
Crawfoso1973
Yeah the release came naturally off his hand and came on the pick and roll within the context of the offense. Ashley posted other videos where he was driving and finishing with both hands. If he's already this advanced I could definately see him getting the backup 5 minutes behind Flo immediately.
bear2be2
Crawfoso1973 said:

Yeah the release came naturally off his hand and came on the pick and roll within the context of the offense. Ashley posted other videos where he was driving and finishing with both hands. If he's already this advanced I could definately see him getting the backup 5 minutes behind Flo immediately.
I hope he is ready for that because Loveday's a complete question mark at this point.
DanaDane
Mixtapes made Deuce Bello look like an All American too.

Listen to Fran Fraschilla, who scouts these foreign players as well as anyone. He's said this kid has the potential to be a beast in a couple of years but will be best served to redshirt in 2022-23. Unfortunately, if JTT isn't ready or we don't land an immediate transfer contributor who can play both the 4 and give some minutes at the 5 to rest Flo, he may not be able to redshirt. Either Loveday or he would likely have to contribute some minutes.
Crawfoso1973
DanaDane said:

Mixtapes made Deuce Bello look like an All American too.

Listen to Fran Fraschilla, who scouts these foreign players as well as anyone. He's said this kid has the potential to be a beast in a couple of years but will be best served to redshirt in 2022-23. Unfortunately, if JTT isn't ready or we don't land an immediate transfer contributor who can play both the 4 and give some minutes at the 5 to rest Flo, he may not be able to redshirt. Either Loveday or he would likely have to contribute some minutes.
He doesn't have to be an instant all-american nor am I implying that. I am talking 10-12 minutes backing up Flo.
Crawfoso1973
bear2be2 said:

Crawfoso1973 said:

I hope he is ready for that because Loveday's a complete question mark bust at this point.
^^Fixed your post
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.