Story Poster
Baylor Basketball

Gameday Thread: #6 Baylor (4-0) vs Arizona State (2-2)

November 24, 2021

#6 Baylor (4-0) faces off against Arizona State (2-2) Wednesday November 24th in the quarterfinal round of the Battle for Atlantis in the Bahamas.  The game will tip at 6:30pm CST and will be televised on ESPN2.

KenPom Prediction:  Baylor 78 Arizona State 68

Torvik Prediction:  Baylor 78 Arizona State 69

Evan Miyakawa:  Baylor 82 Arizona State 70

Coaches

Arizona State:  Bobby Hurley (50):  148-105 (106-85 at ASU); 3 NCAAs

Baylor:  Scott Drew (51); 396-224 overall (376-213 at Baylor); 9 NCAAs; 5 Sweet 16s; 3 Elite 8s; FF; 1 National Championship

Head to Head:  0-0 

Arizona State Starters

Guard:  Marreon Jackson (SR) 6-1 190 lbs; 9 ppg; 4 reb; 5 asst; 2 st; 31% FG; 23% 3pt; 89% FT

Guard:  DJ Horne (SO) 6-1 175 lbs; 10 ppg; 2 asst; 42% FG; 38% 3pt; 100% FT

Guard:  Luther Muhammad (JR) 6-3 195 lbs; 10 ppg; 4 reb; 2 st; 32% FG; 21% 3pt; 83% FT

Forward:  Kimani Lawrence (SR) 6-6 205 lbs; 16 ppg; 10 reb; 64% FG; 63% FT

Forward:  Jalen Graham (JR) 6-9 220 lbs; 8 ppg; 4 reb; 2 blks; 53% FG 

Arizona State Bench

Forward:   Alonzo Gaffney (JR) 6-9 200 lbs; 6 ppg; 4 reb; 2 blk; 46% FG; 33% 3pt

Forward:  Jamiya Neal (FR) 6-6 185 lbs; 4 ppg; 2 reb; 46%; 40% 3pt; 75% FT

Guard:  Jay Heath (SO) 6-3 195 lbs; 5 ppg; 2 reb; 21% FG 25% 3pt; 100% FT

Forward:  *Marcus Bagley (SO) 6-8 215 lbs; 10 ppg; 4 reb; 39% FG; 39% 3pt; 71% FT

*injured knee against North Florida (game 3), didn’t play vs San Diego St; status unknown

Baylor Starters

Guard:  James Akinjo (SR) 6-1 190 lbs; 10 ppg; 3 reb; 8 asst; 3 st; 42% FG; 50% 3pt; 70% FT

Guard:  Adam Flagler (JR) 6-3 180 lbs; 8 ppg; 2 reb; 3 asst; 42% FG; 44% 3pt; 70% FT

Forward:  Matt Mayer (SR) 6-9 230 lbs; 11 ppg; 4 reb; 2 asst; 2 st; 40% FG; 20% 3pt; 80% FT

Forward:  Kendall Brown (FR) 6-8 205 lbs; 15 ppg; 4 reb; 4 asst; 2 st; 69% FG; 75% 3pt; 64% FT

Forward:  Flo Thamba (SR) 6-10 250 lbs; 5 ppg; 4 reb; 2 blk; 62% FG; 57% FT

Baylor Bench

Forward:  Jon Tchatchoua (JR) 6-8 250 lbs; 7 ppg; 9 reb; 65% FG; 25% FT

Guard:  LJ Cryer (SO) 6-1 190 lbs; 19 ppg; 2 reb; 3 asst; 63% FG; 54% 3pt; 100% FT

Forward:  Jeremy Sochan (FR) 6-9 230 lbs; 10 ppg; 6 reb; 2 asst; 2 st; 52% FG; 27% 3pt; 44% FT

Guard:  Dale Bonner (JR) 6-2 170 lbs; 2 ppg; 2 asst; 1 st; 14% FG; 22% 3pt; 75% FT

Discussion from...

Gameday Thread: #6 Baylor (4-0) vs Arizona State (2-2)

13,836 Views | 167 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Big_Pumpin
CHP Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Our guards need to finish when driving.
DanaDane
Brown back in the game. Not limping like he was earlier. Very good sign.
jdrs
Good win Bears!
DanaDane
Bears 75
ASU 63

FINAL

Very lackadaisical final 10 minutes of the 2nd half for the Bears.
historian
It wasn't always pretty, but we got it done.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
CHP Bear
Nice win.
Futbol Bear
ASU won the 2nd half 32-30
IowaBear
Rest up. We got a very physical VCU tomm
Louise Romano
Will take some time for these guys to play together. So spoiled by last year it is a little tough to watch some of these offensive possessions. They are just as quick as last years team but you can really tell the IQ of last years team was off the charts. Hope these guys get there and do a good job fulfilling their roles. They are going to need to develop an identity.
Futbol Bear
Totally agree. Right now BU is beating teams with their superior talent & ability. When they start to gel together & improve their BB IQ, they will go next level! The good news is as well as the score sheet has looked this season, there is room for improvement!
ColoradoGRN&GLD
Outscored us 21-11 with 10:00 minutes left.
EvilTroyAndAbed
Futbol Bear said:

ASU won the 2nd half 32-30

Does that show up on their record?
Futbol Bear
My 2nd half comment about BU being outscored was in response to;
"Very lackadaisical final 10 minutes of the 2nd half for the Bears."

ABC BEAR
Backcourt is playing at the Final Four level from last season. Rhythm and flow from frontcourt will come with practice and coaching. We should strongly consider playing Mayer as 6th man again.
Yogi
Wasn't the last time Baylor Nland VCU squared up, it was in this exact same tournament?
Yogi
Louise Romano said:

Will take some time for these guys to play together. So spoiled by last year it is a little tough to watch some of these offensive possessions. They are just as quick as last years team but you can really tell the IQ of last years team was off the charts. Hope these guys get there and do a good job fulfilling their roles. They are going to need to develop an identity.

Nah. Shots just need to start falling. Too many bricks right now, leaving too many points on the floor instead of the scoreboard.
Crawfoso1973
Not sure what you are seeing, but we are not close to last year's backcourt. Akinjo really struggles with selfish, low IQ shot-selection and over-dribbling. Hopefully he will be receptive to coaching because we are razor thin in the backcourt and are relying heavily on him to figure it out.
CTbruin
My observation for what it's worth.

In the final 10 minutes......Coach Drew dialed down the defensive intensity and made rotation changes. Seemed to me that several players dominated the minutes that needed the minutes when the game was well in hand. And I don't mean clearing the bench. Sochan and Akinjo staying in the game and needed some more minutes. Mayer was having an excellent game and he didn't see the floor. Like said.......for what it's worth.
Jacques Strap
Sochan had an off night shooting but still did work on the boards with 9 rebounds.
Cryer had another good night shooting going 6/12 and 3/5 from three.
The Bears won off a great first half run where everything was clicking then lost the edge did not finish strong.
A win is a win and this team has lots of potential so looking forward to the next one.
Would Scott Drew be a one seed in a bass tournamant among NCAA coaches?
historian
Baylor is usually more productive in the 2nd half so last night was a bit of a disappointment. I'm concerned about how they will play with stiffer competition. Maybe that 2nd half trend was only with the amazing crew we had last year.

I trust our coaches to clean up some things.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
vanillabryce
ABC BEAR said:

Backcourt is playing at the Final Four level from last season. Rhythm and flow from frontcourt will come with practice and coaching. We should strongly consider playing Mayer as 6th man again.

While I'm very happy with how the backcourt is playing, it's not the same as last season. I don't think it will be either. They were just too talented and experienced.

Akinjo is a gifted passer, but he's over dribbling and forcing some shots.

Mayer has earned his starting spot, and I think he plays really well with Brown.

The ASU game was not our best, we out rebounded them 43-36, but there were so many balls that we could have gotten.
BUCANDOIT82
What I saw was we had a 20 point lead in the second half and took our foot off the gas because we have 3 games in 3 days.

This team is playing at a very high level on both ends and is getting solid contributions from multiple players.
CTbruin
BUCANDOIT82 said:

What I saw was we had a 20 point lead in the second half and took our foot off the gas because we have 3 games in 3 days.

This team is playing at a very high level on both ends and is getting solid contributions from multiple players.

That's what I was trying to say

You said it better
no-one
When you go off and travel to a foreign country like that, there are a lot of unforeseen things going on we are not privy to. After all, these are still young men trying to balance maturity with doing the things they love, but in a new environment. Some of the teams will adjust to their environment better than others. Baylor did what they needed yesterday to advance in the tourney, a tourney they should win hands down, providing they don't allow the distractions to get to them. CDS has done an excellent job through the years keeping his teams focused in those environments. I suspect they will rebound with a strong performance against VCU today. Lets hope so. sic em
vanillabryce
no-one said:

When you go off and travel to a foreign country like that, there are a lot of unforeseen things going on we are not privy to. After all, these are still young men trying to balance maturity with doing the things they love, but in a new environment. Some of the teams will adjust to their environment better than others. Baylor did what they needed yesterday to advance in the tourney, a tourney they should win hands down, providing they don't allow the distractions to get to them. CDS has done an excellent job through the years keeping his teams focused in those environments. I suspect they will rebound with a strong performance against VCU today. Lets hope so. sic em

That's right they're not robots.

They are national champs, and a top 5 team… meaning we're gonna get a lot of teams' best shot
Louise Romano
Yogi said:

Louise Romano said:

Nah. Shots just need to start falling. Too many bricks right now, leaving too many points on the floor instead of the scoreboard.
I think you could say that about any team. Nevertheless, spacing and rotation off ball have a lot to do with setting up shots. They need to do a better job of that, but its way too early to expect that so its a work in progress. Coach Drew is known for his player development so I trust him to put the right guys in the right position to maximize the teams success.
Big_Pumpin
Scored the most points against VCU this year.

Somehow I have to reset. This season just isn't going to be last season. Last season was magical and could end up being our greatest season until the world burns.

I like watching this team though. The maturity level of the freshman is incredible. I keep waiting for them to force it during transition but they don't. Play very within themselves.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.