Photo by Jack Mackenzie
Baylor Women's Basketball

Gameday Thread: #4 Baylor WBB (26-5, 15-3) vs. #21 Oklahoma (24-7, 12-6)

March 12, 2022

BAYLOR (26-5, 15-3) vs. OKLAHOMA (24-7, 12-6)
March 12, 2022 • 12 p.m. CT
Waco, Texas • Ferrell Center

LIVE STATS: Stat Broadcast
WATCH: Big 12 Now on ESPN+
Talent: Brenda VanLengen and Holly Warlick
LISTEN: ESPN Central Texas, BaylorBears.com 
Talent: Derek Smith (pxp), Sophia Young-Malcolm (Analyst)

PITCHED A SHUTOUT
• Baylor set a program record, a Big 12 Championship record and tied an NCAA record when it held Oklahoma State scoreless in the first quarter on Friday.
• Overall, BU held OSU to 36 points, a Big 12 Championship record and won by 40 points, which stands for second in league tournament win margin.
• OSU's 13 field goals were the second-fewest made in the league tournament, and BU held the Cowgirls to 14 points in the first half, a mark that ties for fifth in the Big 12 Championship record book.
• With the win, Baylor moved to 47-13 all-time at the Big 12 Championship and 17-5 in the quarterfinal round.

TWELVE IN A ROW
• Baylor clinched a share of the regular-season Big 12 title with a 25-point win on the road at No. 8 Iowa State in front of a record crowd at Hilton Coliseum. 
• BU's streak of 12 regular-season titles in a row is the longest active streak in the country in men's AND women's hoops.
• The streak ties for fourth all-time in WBB behind Green Bay 20 (1999-2018), Louisiana Tech 15 (2003-17), Stanford 14 (2001-14) and Old Dominion 12 (1993-2004).
• With 24 combined conference championships, Baylor ties Stanford for the most among Power 5 schools since 2004-05.
• With a win over Texas Tech on Sunday or an Iowa State loss on Saturday, Baylor would clinch the championship outright.
• Baylor became the first school since Texas Tech in 2000 to start league play 0-2 and end up winning the conference title.

WALKING DOUBLE-DOUBLE
• NaLyssa Smith is fifth in the country with 22 double-doubles on the season. That mark puts her at second all-time in Baylor history.
• Smith is third in program history with 50 career double-doubles.
• The senior is averaging 22.0 points and 11.6 rebounds per game which both rank No. 8 in the country. She is the only player in the country who is averaging 22+ points and 11+ rebounds per game.

LET IT FLY
• Baylor's program record for triples made came on Dec. 18, 2019 against Arkansas State when Juicy Landrum caught fire and set an NCAA record with 14 triples. Besides that record-setting performance, BU hadn't drained more than a dozen shots from deep since 2011.
• BU's record for 3-point attempts in a season came in 2013-14 when the Bears attempted 596 3s. 
• From that season to 2020-21, Baylor made 10 or more 3-pointers in a game only five times across a total of 281 games (1.78 percent). BU has done so five times this season. 
• At Kansas, Baylor nearly set a record with a 14-for-29 display from the perimeter. BU's 14 treys marked the second most in program history.
• Prior to this year, only 14 Bears had made six or more 3s in a game. Two of them had done it multiple times (Makenzie Robertson, 2012, 2014) and Jennifer King (1990, 1991, 1993).
• Sarah Andrews and Ja'Mee Asberry have already joined that elite club this season. Andrews went 6-for-8 against Morehead State and from deep and Asberry fired off 6-of-8 against Alcorn State. Asberry then went 6-for-11 at Kansas, and Andrews set a career-high with a 7-for-10 mark.
• Andrews' seven 3s tied for third in program history. She is now one of six Bears in program history to hit a minimum of seven triples in a game.
• Jordan Lewis joined the club with her 6-of-7 performance against Iowa State.
• Baylor - with 209 3s on the season - has the second-highest 3pointer total for a single season in program history. 
• Asberry is fourth in program history with 71 3s made this season.

Discussion from...

Gameday Thread: #4 Baylor WBB (26-5, 15-3) vs. #21 Oklahoma (24-7, 12-6)

9,364 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by historian
Eball
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sic Em Lady Bears! This is who we wanted to play!
Tylerbear
Game is at Ferrell Center? Thought it was in KC
GarlandBear84
Tylerbear said:

Game is at Ferrell Center? Thought it was in KC

I know that this site borrows these from BU Media. Someone at BU needs to review these as the last two games at KC have listed Ferrell Center and there's at least one bullet point that should've been deleted.
Task Force 2015
And,the location of the second regular season game against UT was listed wrong.
WacoKelly83
Quick hook for Queen
WacoKelly83
Bickle looking great.
GarlandBear84
If we foul Robertson on another Trey attempt, I might lose it. She's automatic on FTs, so don't foul her.
Mulder
Up 7 at the break.

Bickle and Smith are delivering.
An Objective Fan of The Former Baylor Lady Bears.
HoustonBear15
WacoKelly83
Can we get Rodney Smith into the game? Lol. Nice shot
fredbear
Play Queen bickle and smith a bit.
hitmanmw
What a game! Nalyssa needs the ball on EVERY possession! They cannot stop her. I've seen enough 3s from Bickle at 18%. We need Queen in the game.
Baylorkid
I love it when Bickle is aggressive and looks to score!
whitetrash
It's amazing how much better you play when you:

1) aren't trying to recover from everyone having COVID, or

2) haven't had to sit around twiddling your thumbs for nearly an hour after you warmed up because your opponent changed their travel plans and are running 45 minutes late.
bowdedg
http://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/33486000
Baylorkid
With Smith's 37 points today, she now has 1996 points! Just need 4 more to reach 2000 career points
lookin4awin
I have been watching it too Baylor Kid! And based on the last time you printed totals I calculated it to be 4 more as well.

Her performance today was so dominant. Very Grineresque.
Mulder
25 point win by our sheroes in Green & Gold. Awesome.

Word of advice to our new coach: In the 4th quarter of a close game where every possession count. Bench The Queen and go with Bickle. She'll get a board or a 50/50 ball to put you over the top.
An Objective Fan of The Former Baylor Lady Bears.
bawitdaball
I will say that I really like OU's new coach. Probably my favorite n the Big 12 after CNC. She is poised and always under control. OU is in good hands in the long run and will compete. Curious to see how well she is able to recruit after her turnaround this season.
Jack Bauer
Looks like some chippiness at the end of the game with that injury, I wonder what was said...
Brusinbear2001
I believe our coach has it under control of who to put where and when. I think Queen cannot sit for long periods of time or she gets off
Squatch Hunter
WacoKelly83 said:

He won $6,600 worth of Phillips 66 gas with that shot
Chibears2
bawitdaball said:

I will say that I really like OU's new coach. Probably my favorite n the Big 12 after CNC. She is poised and always under control. OU is in good hands in the long run and will compete. Curious to see how well she is able to recruit after her turnaround this season.
Except for the end of this game…
Brusinbear2001
if we can make a final four, win this tournament get Smith to a number 1 pick why would you not want to come to Baylor?Transfer portal will be ours!!
blackie
Jack Bauer said:

Looks like some chippiness at the end of the game with that injury, I wonder what was said...
On the OU board someone was complaining about Bickle's "cheap shot". I guess if you are standing there and someone runs into you, it is a cheap shot versus a charge or a block. Of course, this is the same board where a poster claimed Mulkey's success at LSU is because she took most of the Baylor team with her and no one questioned the comment. So.....not really very bright.
Squatch Hunter
Jack Bauer said:

OU coach grabbed Queen to move her out of the way so she could get to the injured girl. Should have been a tech for touching our player. Then OU coach turns to Baylor bench with a very passive aggressive apology. Nikki stood up for her girls. Our fans went nuts. Terrible foul call to begin with as Bickle was dead still.

After the game all seemed to be good as coaches had a long talk.
bawitdaball
Squatch Hunter said:

Jack Bauer said:

OU coach grabbed Queen to move her out of the way so she could get to the injured girl. Should have been a tech for touching our player. Then OU coach turns to Baylor bench with a very passive aggressive apology. Nikki stood up for her girls. Our fans went nuts. Terrible foul call to begin with as Bickle was dead still.

After the game all seemed to be good as coaches had a long talk.
Correct. We learned this during Griner's junior year when she ran out on the court to separate a player and prevent a fight. No one not checked into the game can go on the court until an official calls for them, coaches included. Nicki mentioned something about her being on the court. Could have been a technical. The move nay the OU coach was an honest one, but it did break a rule. And she likely unintentionally magnified that by touching Queen. Had Queen lost her balance and fell and sprained a wrist, it would have been over. Which is why the rule exists and why the coaches box is where it is.
lookin4awin
I am going to give the OU coach the benefit of the doubt on this one. It looked as if the injury might potentially be an ACL tear (potentially-I don't want to rile the MD's up by speculating), but regardless it looked serious, and I imagine she just reacted to the moment. However, should be real careful not to touch an opposing player in the process.

I like the OU coach and wish she wasn't coaching a team about to leave the conference. You can tell though CNC isn't going to be intimidated by anyone.

If my lip reading skills are in tact, it looked when the ref went over to talk to the OU coach she put a hand on her and the OU coach said don't touch me... Did anyone else notice that....or did I misread that? If so, a little irony there.
Chibears2
lookin4awin said:

I am going to give the OU coach the benefit of the doubt on this one. It looked as if the injury might potentially be an ACL tear (potentially-I don't want to rile the MD's up by speculating), but regardless it looked serious, and I imagine she just reacted to the moment. However, should be real careful not to touch an opposing player in the process.

I like the OU coach and wish she wasn't coaching a team about to leave the conference. You can tell though CNC isn't going to be intimidated by anyone.

If my lip reading skills are in tact, it looked when the ref went over to talk to the OU coach she put a hand on her and the OU coach said don't touch me... Did anyone else notice that....or did I misread that? If so, a little irony there.
That's absolutely what I believe she said to the referee, as well. She was not in control of herself at that point. She will think about her reaction and evaluate whether it is something she wants to repeat in the future. Collen hasn't been our coach long, but I don't see her engaging with another staff in a confrontational way, unless something was said to or about one of our players. THEN, I can see her protecting her player.
fredbear
The while episode was needless. They were beaten. They should have put their bench in and we would have followed. This is NOT the tournament that really matters. Why have your players risking injury in the final min of a blow out? OU coach, likable yes, but she showed pride and ignorance. She traded a little spat with BU over the knee of a player she needs. U gotta know when to say when. This battle to the end jargon sounds noble, but is reckless in view of upcoming games.
william
Dale?
blueeyedbear
fredbear said:

The while episode was needless. They were beaten. They should have put their bench in and we would have followed. This is NOT the tournament that really matters. Why have your players risking injury in the final min of a blow out? OU coach, likable yes, but she showed pride and ignorance. She traded a little spat with BU over the knee of a player she needs. U gotta know when to say when. This battle to the end jargon sounds noble, but is reckless in view of upcoming games.
I totally agree - OU coach has to learn you fight the battles you can win and walk away from ones you can't - No shame in living to fight the battle on another day. I realize she wants to promote a never quit attitude with her team because strange things can happen as we all have seen but as fredbear said - Big 12 Tournament is NOT the Tournament that matters and she just lost a player she could not afford to lose and almost guarantees an early exit from the dance when OU could have made a deep run. So sad for the player who was injured and the team that has to play without her now.
What an idiot on OU board who posted Bickle did a "cheap shot" I know fans are biased but video does not lie - Bickle was just standing there with her arm raised - I really thought a T was going to be called for touching a player on an opposing team even if its out of concern for your fallen player - that's a no no - should have been a T as well for leaving the box without official waving you onto the court.
Caitlin showed class in going over to the OU bench - glad Brenda reported that.
canoso
Squatch Hunter said:

WacoKelly83 said:

He won $6,600 worth of Phillips 66 gas with that shot
Too bad he didn't win that much during last year's tournament, eh?
historian
Baylorkid said:

With Smith's 37 points today, she now has 1996 points! Just need 4 more to reach 2000 career points
She will do that in the first minutes tomorrow!
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
ScottS
GarlandBear84 said:

If we foul Robertson on another Trey attempt, I might lose it. She's automatic on FTs, so don't foul her.

We did this.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.