Big 12 happenings

1,134,052 Views | 5531 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by slimecap
slimecap
How long do you want to ignore this user?
whitetrash
For an insight into why KSt is winless in conference:

After BU game was over I switched to watch the end of KSt-TCU. KSt fought back from down 8 with less than 4 to play, hit a 3 to cut it to 70-67 at 2:25, then stole a pass and came down with a chance to tie. After that, 3 turnovers and 2 missed shots led to a 78-67 final.
historian
snakebite?

They cannot seem to do anything. What's really strange about K State is that it's both the men's AND women's programs. I hope they are able to do something soon to turn it around. It would be better for the conference for every team to be competitive. Naturally, I still want Baylor to beat them every time but it would be nice if it were more challenging.
slimecap
Kim Mulkey discusses the injury DiDi Richards sustained last night, and how she feels about where her team is right now.
Audio link
https://media.podserve.fm/media/episodes/user_1118/881/02-11-21_Kim_Mulkey.mp3
Wichitabear
slimecap said:

Kim Milkey discusses the injury DiDi Richards sustained last night, and how she feels about where her team is right now.
Audio link
Thank you slimecap
slimecap

Feb 10, 2021
Green&GoldStandard
slimecap said:

Kim Milkey discusses the injury DiDi Richards sustained last night, and how she feels about where her team is right now.
Audio link

Kim changed he last name again?
slimecap
slimecap

Feb 10, 2021

West Virginia extends its win streak to 11 games.
slimecap

Feb 10, 2021
Wichitabear
slimecap said:

Feb 10, 2021
this kinda shocks me
Florda_mike
historian said:

snakebite?

They cannot see to do anything. What's really strange about K State is that it's both the men's AND women's programs. I hope they are able to do something soon to turn it around. It would be better for the conference for every team to be competitive. Naturally, I still want Baylor to beat them every time but it would be nice if it were more challenging.

I'm guessing K St, having played so few games, has been decimated by COVID this and that bs similar to Baylor?

You get going then can't even practice because "contact tracing" or "positive test" or coach gets COVID or something. Frustrating

Wife and I drove an hour+ to watch our local #1 in nation JUCO girls play #3 yesterday. Met at door with forehead thermometer then asked for our "passes." "Passes," we asked? We hoped to just pay admission but nooooo? He said they're selling 4 ticket packages for $250 to see they're games. Wife and I left as she said we aren't paying for that COVID highway robbery. Makes you sick as our local area #1 just charges a $7 admission that includes both women and men's games

COVID fear and money scammers suck
historian
That is disgusting. I can understand them charging a bit more because of limited capacity, but that is highway robbery. Unfortunately, Baylor did something similar. Every time I called for tickets they said tickets would only be sold in larger batches and that I could go to StubHub (& pay scalper's prices with ridiculous fees added on top). So I have not been to a single Lady Bears game this season.
slimecap
Feb 13, 2021
Oklahoma 72 @ West Virginia 71

Sherri Coale Postgame Interview
https://soonersports.com/watch/?Archive=5572&sport=11&type=Archive
slimecap
Wichitabear
slimecap said:

Thankyou slimecap !
slimecap
historian
Finally, I can watch it on ESPN+.
slimecap
slimecap

slimecap
slimecap
slimecap
historian
Not again! Ugh!!!
Pale Rider
Crud. But safety first.
slimecap

CONFERENCE STANDINGS

11-1 Baylor
10-3 West Virginia
11-4 Oklahoma State
9-5 Iowa State
8-5 Texas
5-7 Oklahoma
4-11 Texas Tech
3-9 Kansas
3-10 TCU
1-10 Kansas State
slimecap

Feb 17, 2021
fredbear
Still can't figure out how Iowa St plays like an entirely different team when they play BU? If you can play that motivated, play every team that way. If you can't, then save your motivation for certain big 12 wins to improve your record and rank.
geewago
fredbear said:

Still can't figure out how Iowa St plays like an entirely different team when they play BU? If you can play that motivated, play every team that way. If you can't, then save your motivation for certain big 12 wins to improve your record and rank.
Or..........have you ever considered the other view. Why has Baylor failed to play at their expected level against ISU the last 3 games? I've been to everyone of them and I was not watching the same team I was accustomed to. Especially last year in Ames. We went into Ames 17 - 0 in conference, ranked in the top 3, defending NC's and our level of play was unbelievable. Tea' Cooper disappeared in that game. And everybody else besides Didi just gave a sub-par performance. Granted ISU played a tough gritty game each time and I gave them full credit but what happened to BU in those last 3 games. Even the win in Ames this year was nip & tuck down to the last 4 minutes and finally Baylor just muscled it out.

Considering that Kims record against Iowa ST is 30 - 6, it makes you wonder a little about 2 of those losses being in the last 3 games. Are they getting better or have we slipped a cog? I think it's a little of both.
historian
Probably a little bit of both. Fortunately, the slippage on our part may be temporary. The Lady Bears certainly played very well against Texas.
slimecap
Polarbear
Re: the Iowa State question:

I'm throwing out the loss a month ago. A healthy and sharp Iowa State team playing a Baylor team which had not practiced in two weeks, and missing 2 rotation players? Covid anomaly.

Regarding the general rivalry and last year's game in Ames:
a) It's not a surprise that Iowa State can score against us, because they usually have 4 or 5 skilled 3 point shooters on the floor. This means we almost always have a post player out of her comfort zone, guarding someone like Kristin Scott or Ashley Joens or Bridget Carleton on the perimeter. They exploit the matchups. In the 2019 game in Waco, we started the game with 6'4" Lauren Cox covering 6'1" Bridget Carleton. Carleton was too quick and crafty and had too much range for Lauren. She was scoring at will on 3 pointers and drives through an empty lane, until we called timeout to switch Didi onto Carleton.
b) Conversely, our advantage is their lack of size, which means we should be able to pound the ball in the low post all night long. in 2018 and 2019, with Kalani and Lauren, we exploited our size and power, scoring 89, 79, 84, and 73.
c) Last year's game in Ames was a perfect storm of problems for us.
d) Iowa State ran a triangle and 2 defense, which meant they went zone with 3 players in the lane and played Man to Man on Juicy and Tea on the perimeter. Our response was to use Tea and Juicy as decoys to clear space, and turn it into a 3 on 3 game. On the day, Tea and Juicy each attempted only 3 shots, and a couple of those were fast breaks; their lack of scoring wasn't their fault, it was the fault of our offensive scheme. The problem was that our interior players didn't shoot well and take advantage of the 3 on 3 matchup; we only scored 56 on the day. Lauren was 5-15, Nalyssa was 3-8, and they should both have much higher shooting % in a 3 on 3 matchup against undersized players.
e) That game also had a lot of unusual moments. It was an electric Hilton Coliseum, with #2 team coming to town on Iowa State's Senior Day. Iowa State played with tremendous hustle and grit, with 35 rebounds to our 39. They forced us into 12 tournovers. They had a couple of miracle 3 pointers at the end of shot clocks, one by post Inez Nezerwa which was the only of her career. They shot 41% from 3 point range, so their shots were falling. A couple of controversial officiating calls, most critically a 4th quarter call that Didi gained possession as she tipped a ball out of bounds, thus refreshing their shot clock. It was just one of those days when everything aligned for them.
fredbear
Thanks for sharing polar bear.
slimecap
slimecap
First Page Last Page
Page 95 of 159

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.