Kim's silence on BG situation

29,365 Views | 277 Replies | Last: 29 days ago by IowaBear
Mothballs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Brusinbear2001 said:

I am just confused as to why she cannot say I hope she is doing okay just on the level of her being a HUMAN not even as her player that she recruited and coached just as a human. I feel that could be done whether you believe what she did was wrong or not, on good terms or bad terms. But to just simply say she won't comment on it and to do it in that way as if she could not care any less is sad.

If you can't say something nice about someone then say nothing at all. When was the last time Brittney said anything nice about Kim. CKM is wise to stay out of the discussion... damned if you do and damned if you don't.
sicem45
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Mothballs said:

Brusinbear2001 said:

I am just confused as to why she cannot say I hope she is doing okay just on the level of her being a HUMAN not even as her player that she recruited and coached just as a human. I feel that could be done whether you believe what she did was wrong or not, on good terms or bad terms. But to just simply say she won't comment on it and to do it in that way as if she could not care any less is sad.

If you can't say something nice about someone then say nothing at all. When was the last time Brittney said anything nice about Kim. CKM is wise to stay out of the discussion... damned if you do and damned if you don't.
The fact Egbo and Chloe Jackson are calling her out for it says all that needs to be said. Plus its bad publicity for the program (LSU's not ours thankfully).
Mothballs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
sicem45 said:

Mothballs said:

Brusinbear2001 said:

I am just confused as to why she cannot say I hope she is doing okay just on the level of her being a HUMAN not even as her player that she recruited and coached just as a human. I feel that could be done whether you believe what she did was wrong or not, on good terms or bad terms. But to just simply say she won't comment on it and to do it in that way as if she could not care any less is sad.

If you can't say something nice about someone then say nothing at all. When was the last time Brittney said anything nice about Kim. CKM is wise to stay out of the discussion... damned if you do and damned if you don't.
The fact Egbo and Chloe Jackson are calling her out for it says all that needs to be said. Plus its bad publicity for the program (LSU's not ours thankfully).

Everyone is entitled to their opinion (including you) and Kim has decided to keep her opinion to herself. It's also bad publicity for LSU if Kim becomes involved in a back and forth with the press. She's moved on and so should you.
PartyBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I was a critic of letting her go. She has convinced me it was the right move. She would be a horrific PR problem for the school if she was still here.
Russell Gym
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Because every bridge not getting a return trip is Bridge On The River Kwai. No exceptions.
Ashley Hodge
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
great statements by Coach Nicki on the situation

Aliceinbubbleland
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Aliceinbubbleland
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BylrFan said:

Brusinbear2001 said:

i just think it is sad period that she has not said anything but other coaches from other universities have. It is giving off the idea you can do for me and once that is done i could not care anymore about you. How would you feel as a recruit that this is happening? It just seems weird to me.


Yes this is my exact thoughts too regarding Kim. Totally opposite from what we're seeing from Nicki Collin
Yeah and the Championship trophies may be the exact opposite from what we were use to seeing. Royally pisses me off to see people critical of Mulky.

Mitch Henessey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Eventually, Mulkey's bitterness is going to completely consume her.
PartyBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
CNC was asked about Griner today as well and she spoke almost 5 minutes about her.
Mothballs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
PartyBear said:

CNC was asked about Griner today as well and she spoke almost 5 minutes about her.
LTBear19
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sometimes, taking the high road is preferred in life.

Regardless of how the situation played out in the past, it's simply not wise to respond and behave in the manner in which Kim did at today's press conference.

A simple "We're praying for her and hope she gets home safely" probably would have sufficed, and kept the situation from spiraling out of control.

Instead, Kim just brought a lot of unnecessary grief/drama into the mix, both for herself and her program.

Don't think this won't be a potential game-changer for her on the recruiting trail in the future, as there will likely be many family members who think twice about sending their daughters to play for her.

EvilTroyAndAbed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Mothballs said:

Brusinbear2001 said:

I am just confused as to why she cannot say I hope she is doing okay just on the level of her being a HUMAN not even as her player that she recruited and coached just as a human. I feel that could be done whether you believe what she did was wrong or not, on good terms or bad terms. But to just simply say she won't comment on it and to do it in that way as if she could not care any less is sad.

If you can't say something nice about someone then say nothing at all. When was the last time Brittney said anything nice about Kim. CKM is wise to stay out of the discussion... damned if you do and damned if you don't.
Why would she be damned if she said something supportive about BG?
Brusinbear2001
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BG has been through a lot more at the hands of Kim Mulkey she had to cover who she was because it wasn't the best for the program and the universities image. But that Banner still hangs in the Ferrel Center today. The least that Kim could do is hope well for BG. She does not have to agree or disagree on the situation but atleast recognize her as a human being.
Mothballs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Brusinbear2001 said:

BG has been through a lot more at the hands of Kim Mulkey she had to cover who she was because it wasn't the best for the program and the universities image. But that Banner still hangs in the Ferrel Center today. The least that Kim could do is hope well for BG. She does not have to agree or disagree on the situation but atleast recognize her as a human being.

There are also two other banners hanging won without Brittney's assistance. If Griner felt so mistreated by the university and Kim she could have easily transfered. It's not as if she didn't have options.
Mitch Henessey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Lots of people doing some serious mental gymnastics to justify some extremely ugly behavior by Mulkey.
WacoKelly83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Other outlets have picked it up
https://www.si.com/wnba/2022/09/26/lsu-kim-mulkey-refuses-to-address-brittney-griners-detainment
sicem45
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Mitch Henessey said:

Lots of people doing some serious mental gymnastics to justify some extremely ugly behavior by Mulkey.
Its clear Mulkey and BG's relationship is DONE. I get she never wants to talk about her again.

That said from a PR perspective and just being decent she failed. All she had to say was "we hope she gets home safe" then move on. She doesn't owe anything else. It just takes a few simple words and all she did was throw a nasty fit about the question. Instead of putting it to rest she created a giant PR nightmare and firestorm on social media, harming her reputation, her program, her staff and future recruiting status. Her stubbornness will bite her and lead her to retirement much sooner than she wants.

Thankfully we have a coach like CNC who does care and does the right thing.
Brusinbear2001
How long do you want to ignore this user?
She is the best player in Baylor Womens basketball History when you ask anyone about baylor womens basketball her name will pop up. She did a lot for this university and the fact you as a fan can deny that and also deny that it is not wrong for a coach to not worry about a past players well being is kind of crazy too. But at this point all of your points are seeming very ignorant.
Mothballs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Brusinbear2001 said:

She is the best player in Baylor Womens basketball History when you ask anyone about baylor womens basketball her name will pop up. She did a lot for this university and the fact you as a fan can deny that and also deny that it is not wrong for a coach to not worry about a past players well being is kind of crazy too. But at this point all of your points are seeming very ignorant.

How does punching that Tech girl in the face, kneeling for the National Anthem, saying she doesn't even want the anthem played at here games, spousal abuse and smuggling illegal contraband into to a foreign country do "a lot" for the university? Make it make sense.
Mitch Henessey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It's 2022 and people still have their panties in a bunch about the national anthem? Huh...I guess you learn something new every day.
Mothballs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Mitch Henessey said:

It's 2022 and people still have their panties in a bunch about the national anthem? Huh...I guess you learn something new every day.

We also think punching people in the face, spousal abuse and smuggling illegal contraband into foreign countries is wrong too. Please forgive us that we aren't as woke as you. Good talk Mitch...we now see the errors of our ways.
Mitch Henessey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Mothballs said:

Mitch Henessey said:

It's 2022 and people still have their panties in a bunch about the national anthem? Huh...I guess you learn something new every day.

We also think punching people in the face, spousal abuse and smuggling illegal contraband into foreign countries is wrong too. Please forgive us that we aren't as woke as you. Good talk Mitch...we now see the errors of our ways.
You'll have to explain to me how not getting upset over something that has absolutely no negative impact on my life makes me "woke."
Brusinbear2001
How long do you want to ignore this user?
When she punched the girl in the face Baylor fans supported her because of the abuse she took in the paint. She was worthy of cheering for when she won the national championship, when she won gold medels for team USA, when she went to the WNBA finals. She is a Human Being and she is a Baylor Bear regardless of what any poster on here thinks. She helped our little university get on a bigger platform. But now she isn't giving to us anymore why should we care about her is basically the only thing I am understanding from you. That is the problem student athletes deal with when it comes to fan bases. You cheer for them when it wins your favorite team a championship but when it comes to them having their voices or there beliefs heard we no longer can cheer for them and that is the worst fan you could possibly be.
Brusinbear2001
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I am glad that you are the perfect human that does no wrong but when you are a High caliber athlete that is one of the best not only in the country but the world you have a lot less privacy. She could get a ticket for walking across the street and y'all would blow it up just to fit the narrative of you not supporting her because she no longer is giving to you.
Chamberman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
blueeyedbear said:


They do not want that crap in their country - their own citizens are treated with the exact same consequences,
Please provide a cite for this claim.

If you can't be bothered, let me help you out. Posession of cannibus or hasish in Russia up to 6 grams is punishable by a fine or dention up to 15 days. Griner was sentenced to 9 years, and the amount of cannibus she had in her possession was 0.7 grams. So, no, their own citizens are not treated with the same consequences.
blueeyedbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Chamberman said:

blueeyedbear said:


They do not want that crap in their country - their own citizens are treated with the exact same consequences,
Please provide a cite for this claim.

If you can't be bothered, let me help you out. Posession of cannibus or hasish in Russia up to 6 grams is punishable by a fine or dention up to 15 days. Griner was sentenced to 9 years, and the amount of cannibus she had in her possession was 0.7 grams. So, no, their own citizens are not treated with the same consequences.
It was not just what she possessed or how much - the original charge was that she was a foreigner intercepted at the airport with contraband considered distribution wt.- therefore she was considered a trafficker in narcotics.
I have not seen the final papers on her sentencing so I have no way of knowing if that charge still stands but given the 10 years we can probably assume it has.
Having said that the opportunity for Russian authorities to charge a high profile American athlete and make an example out of her out of her situation to send a message to the world cannot be ignored.
Curious to me is why the owner of the Russian team she plays for has remained silent about her situation - He knows Putin personally.
trey3216
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Aliceinbubbleland said:

BylrFan said:

Brusinbear2001 said:

i just think it is sad period that she has not said anything but other coaches from other universities have. It is giving off the idea you can do for me and once that is done i could not care anymore about you. How would you feel as a recruit that this is happening? It just seems weird to me.


Yes this is my exact thoughts too regarding Kim. Totally opposite from what we're seeing from Nicki Collin
Yeah and the Championship trophies may be the exact opposite from what we were use to seeing. Royally pisses me off to see people critical of Mulky.


Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
BearFan33
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Chamberman said:

blueeyedbear said:


They do not want that crap in their country - their own citizens are treated with the exact same consequences,
Please provide a cite for this claim.

If you can't be bothered, let me help you out. Posession of cannibus or hasish in Russia up to 6 grams is punishable by a fine or dention up to 15 days. Griner was sentenced to 9 years, and the amount of cannibus she had in her possession was 0.7 grams. So, no, their own citizens are not treated with the same consequences.
Yep. BG is trapped in a sad political game. Russia wants a prisoner exchange (or something else) and snatched the first high profile American to make a mistake. If it wasn't BG, it would be someone else for "espionage" or something like that.

A good question is why is she not home by now?
EvilTroyAndAbed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Mothballs said:


It's also bad publicity for LSU if Kim becomes involved in a back and forth with the press. She's moved on and so should you.
1. Back and forth with the press? If she just says, "We're all hoping for her safe return," it's over.
2. We shouldn't "move on" until BG is back. Even though we can't do anything about it, we don't need to forget about her. We need to keep the story in the front part of our consciousness.
Bone Squad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I won't claim to fully understand the full reasoning behind Coach Mulkey's reticence to talk about this, but I have some thoughts.

First, I know there have been a lot of comments like "why won't she at least say something about how we want Britney to return home safely?" Well, the answer is that she absolutely did say that.



Now, after hearing this interview, I was immediately reminded of an article I saw yesterday shortly after the "no comment" story started making the rounds. I wish I could remember where it came from and link it to you, but I don't remember and could not find it again. I can only say it was among the first to come out yesterday. The story was primarily directed at Mulkey, but it also addressed comments by Baylor. They admitted that the university had released multiple tweets/statements/videos about Britney, but then implied that it was not the "correct" number of times. I want to say the gist was something like "they tweeted right after the arrest, but they didn't say anything new on the day of the conviction." I apologize again for not being able to produce the link - maybe someone else will have seen it and can post it.

But here is the point I am coming to. Some people and outlets want to play this weird game of one-upsmanship. "Yeah, you said the right thing. And you said it multiple times. But it was only five times and not twenty times. How come you won't say it more? Oh, you said it twenty times, but you didn't attend a rally organized for it." That was my distinct impression from the article's mention of Baylor. It is not a winnable game. If someone's intent to say you did not do enough, they will find some angle that gets them there.

Mulkey has been the target of media hand-wringing before, and I think she knows better than most my point about it being an unwinnable game. It would not surprise me in the least if that was a major part of her decision to remain mostly private on this subject.
Malbec
How long do you want to ignore this user?
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

Mothballs said:


It's also bad publicity for LSU if Kim becomes involved in a back and forth with the press. She's moved on and so should you.
1. Back and forth with the press? If she just says, "We're all hoping for her safe return," it's over.
2. We shouldn't "move on" until BG is back. Even though we can't do anything about it, we don't need to forget about her. We need to keep the story in the front part of our consciousness.


Then why isn't it over?
Method Man
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Lets hope BG makes it home safe and soon.
F*** Russia.

.
EvilTroyAndAbed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Malbec said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

Mothballs said:


It's also bad publicity for LSU if Kim becomes involved in a back and forth with the press. She's moved on and so should you.
1. Back and forth with the press? If she just says, "We're all hoping for her safe return," it's over.
2. We shouldn't "move on" until BG is back. Even though we can't do anything about it, we don't need to forget about her. We need to keep the story in the front part of our consciousness.


Then why isn't it over?


Why didn't she say that she addressed it earlier? She could have told the reporter he was mistaken, but she said she wasn't going to say anything. And now it takes a tweet to point something out that she could have cleared up in 10 seconds. But that's what she does, she digs in her heels.
Bear3
How long do you want to ignore this user?
As you said, Kim could have easily avoided all of this by saying she previously addressed it or she hopes BG gets home soon.

Now it is all over the media and she will definitely be questioned about it again by recruits and parents at the minimum. It certainly could affect her recruiting.
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.