"Lady Bears Have Pieces in Place for Another Run"

19,294 Views | 89 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by StatMan
slimecap
How long do you want to ignore this user?
`

`
Pale Rider
I am so ready for basketball season to start.

Football season is way too painful.

I desperately need to see some success.

Especially Lady Bear basketball success.
Pale Rider
slimecap said:

`

`

My two favorite players.
Along with all the others.
slimecap
Pale Rider said:

I am so ready for basketball season to start.
Dear Brother Pale Rider,
Circle your calendar for November 10. Both WBB & MBB will begin their regular season games in Waco.

Even though you are geographically very far away
I believe the Baylor teams and fans in Waco will be able to hear your cheers in their hearts. :-)

Sincerely,
Sister slimecap
Pale Rider
Thank you dear sis. You got it. I will be dialed in.
ladybears4eva
I really want to see Cox succeed!! And see why she was the no. 1 recruit of her class.
slimecap
`

Natalie Chou

QUOTES
October 13, 2017

Kristy Wallace
about the freshmen
"They're really good. They're exciting players and bring lots of energy to the court. We've got great leaders on the team that are going to push them and further them in their game. It will be interesting to see how they progress in the year."

Kim Mulkey
about the addition of a quartet of freshmen guards
"We're very quick. We're very, very quick on the perimeter, yet we still have good size inside."

about Nolan Richardson's 40 minutes of hell ...
put up a shot within around 7 seconds of getting possession and increased the pressure on defense with traps and full court pressure
"He had guards and pressured you all over the floor. I think you could see some of that. Now, that would be great, but I can't wear them out and I can't get into foul trouble. There could be potential to see some of that in a lot of games to go out there and go small. We do have the quickness to be able to do that."

about her main concern: injuries
"Certainly with 10 players we don't have the depth that we normally do. Don't need but five. We'll make do. They can all play. When Kalani and Cox are in foul trouble or they need a rest we can go with a smaller lineup. I don't know how well we will match up defensively. It will depend on the size of the other team. We will prepare for all those scenarios."

about Natalie Chou 6-1 working some at the power forward position
"She would be a mismatch for the other team. They have to come out and guard Natalie. If they don't Natalie can shoot it from the perimeter. I think there's some exciting things we can do if I play Natalie as a post player."

Link for entire Lady Bears Notebook article by Krista Pirtle, Waco Tribune-Herald
http://www.wacotrib.com/sports/baylor/lady_bears_basketball/lady-bears-notebook-wallace-brown-enjoy-international-play/article_0b28df1d-00e7-5bea-8df9-521024e3d2f4.html#tncms-source=article-nav-next

- photo from web gathering
Pale Rider
Can't wait.
ScottS
How much will Ursin play?
greggor25
Chou will be your X factor this year.
slimecap

`
Pale Rider
Love it.
slimecap
greggor25 said:

Natalie Chou (24) & Lauren Cox (15)
greggor25
slimecap said:

greggor25 said:

Natalie Chou (24) & Lauren Cox (15)
Chou surprised me last year as I thought she was much better than Cox.
slimecap

(left to right) Kalani Brown, Lauren Cox, Alexis Morris, Didi Richards, Coach Kim Mulkey, Juicy Landrum, Moon Ursin, Trinity Oliver, Dekeiya Cohen, Natalie Chou & Kristy Wallace
Pale Rider
slimecap said:

(left to right) Kalani Brown, Lauren Cox, Alexis Morris, Didi Richards, Coach Kim Mulkey, Juicy Landrum, Moon Ursin, Trinity Oliver, Dekeiya Cohen, Natalie Chou & Kristy Wallace
Those pictures DO NOT resemble anything close to the girls on the basketball court! Yikes! They all fancy up really , really well.

I wonder why they took that pic in Saudi Arabia though?
Hairy Bear
Pale Rider is right, it does look like Saudi Arabia. Does anyone know where in the heck it was shot? Does not look like any place around Waco I have seen. Maybe a quarry where sand or limestone is mined?
slimecap
`

October 27, 2017

Link to Kalani Brown interview by Smoaky at ESPN Central Texas radio
http://stationcaster.com/stations/krzi/media/mp3/Kalani_Brown_10_27_17-1509141917.mp3

`
slimecap
QUOTES

Kim Mulkey
about Kalani Brown
"She's proven herself. Now the challenge with Kalani is to make sure you're not content. I still think she hasn't touched the surface of what she can be as a basketball player."

about Dekeiya Cohen
"I think Dekeiya Cohen will have a great senior year. More is going to be asked and expected of Dekeiya Cohen at two positions, the three and the four. If Dekeiya can have a great year I think we'll have a good team."

about Kristy Wallace
"She's one of our leaders. She'll never forget that last game because competitors don't. It wasn't one of her best ones. You want her to flush it because you don't want it to devastate her. You want it to motivate her, and I think it will."

Kalani Brown
"I'm just taking it one practice at a time. Getting better, getting the freshmen better. It's not about the accolades. It's about the team."

Dekeiya Cohen
"I think I'm ready to take that on. Since I've been here I've had a lot of experience at both positions. I think my senior year it's all going to come together and I'll be efficient at both positions."

Kristy Wallace
"I love going into war with these girls. I know they have my back; I've got their back. Knowing that out there on the court, it helps us play better."

- Ben Everett, Baylor Lariat, 19 Oct 2017
slimecap
`

"The Lady Bears are a young team, with only three juniors and seniors, while boasting four freshmen and three sophomores.

Head coach Kim Mulkey said the team is different this year as they switch to a more perimeter-oriented attack due to their abundance of guards.

"Its just fun to be able to go out there and just coach," Mulkey said. "New faces, new excitement, new energy and I thought they did well. We're very quick on the perimeter and yet we still have good size inside."

The Lady Bears welcome freshmen guards Alexis Morris, Didi Richards, Moon Ursin and Trinity Oliver.

Senior guard Kristy Wallace said the team's veterans will need to push the young players to get better as the year progresses.

"They're exciting players," Wallace said. "They bring lots of energy to the court. We've got great leaders on the team to push them and further them in their game. It'll be interesting to see how they progress during the year."

The Lady Bears lost three starters from the past year forward Nina Davis and guards Alexis Jones and Alexis Prince, along with two rotation post players Khadijiah Cave and Beatrice Mompremier. Mulkey said she expects her young team to get better every day because they have the talent; they just need some experience.

"Just growing every time you play," Mulkey said. "When you have four freshmen, three sophomores, one junior and two seniors, each day of practice they will get better. Their ability is there. They have the skill. What they lack is playing at this level."

Morris was a five-star player coming out of Legacy Christian Academy. Mulkey said Morris will be thrown into the fire as a young player because of the Lady Bears' lack of depth at the guard position.

"She is a young lady that we're going to rely a lot on," Mulkey said. "We may have to use Kristy Wallace at the point guard and the off guard because of our lack of depth. Alexis has the skill. We're going to be using her a lot. I just don't want her to get down. That's the biggest thing with freshmen. You don't want them to get down on themselves."

All four freshmen are guards. Because of this, the Lady Bears could play a different style than we have seen in recent years. Junior center Kalani Brown and sophomore forward Lauren Cox are the only post players on the roster. Mulkey said the Lady Bears could go with their smaller players and pressure opposing teams due to their personnel.

"There could be potential to see some of that in a lot of games," Mulkey said. "Just go out there and go as small as we can go and just pressure them all the time because they do have the quickness to be able to do that."

Baylor only has 10 players on the roster this year as opposed to 13 last season. Mulkey said the lack of depth will only be a problem if there are any injuries or if they get into foul trouble.

"We'll have about ten players in uniform," Mulkey said. "We don't have the depth we normally do but we'll make do. Hopefully we stay away from injuries, but they can all play and they're all excited. When Kalani [Brown] and [Lauren] Cox are in foul trouble or need a rest we can go with a smaller lineup."

- article excerpts from Ben Everett, Baylor Lariat, 16 Oct 2017
- image from web gatherings
bowdedg

I've also heard that our Freshman are talkers, which is something we haven't had in a while. Kim has complained in the past that the teams were too quiet.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
bowdedg said:

I've also heard that our Freshman are talkers, which is something we haven't had in a while. Kim has complained in the past that the teams were too quiet.
They get in the heads of their opponents.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Hairy Bear said:

Pale Rider is right, it does look like Saudi Arabia. Does anyone know where in the heck it was shot? Does not look like any place around Waco I have seen. Maybe a quarry where sand or limestone is mined?
Gravel pit outside of town where they get gravel for cement.
slimecap
`

Is Kristy behind the camera ?
Pale Rider
Probably.
slimecap
`

`
slimecap
Kalani Brown

Lamar postgame comment on production
"It was one of my goals to average a double-double this year. I was close last year, averaging 15 [points] and eight [rebounds]. Having the dominance is what coach wants me to do, so I'm going to continue to keep doing it."

slimecap
`

`
slimecap
November 12, 2017

`

November 18, 2017

Baylor official press release on Lauren Cox hospitalization

"Lauren Cox was unable to make the UCLA road trip after developing a complication of her Diabetes Mellitus, which required a brief hospitalization. The complication is called diabetic ketoacidosis, a buildup of acids in the blood. Ketoacidosis happens when the body does not have enough insulin.

Her condition was caused by strep throat and associated symptoms, including dehydration, nausea and vomiting. This had a rapid onset and was quickly addressed by Baylor's team physicians, who along with the help of her family help Lauren manage her Diabetes Mellitus.

Lauren has been discharged from the hospital and is in good condition. She is with her family resting and should be able to return to normal activities soon. Her official status is listed as day-to-day."

- Staff report, Waco Tribune-Herald, 18 Nov 2017
Bone Squad
If y'all would indulge me in a little bit of promotion, it is on a related topic that some of you may take interest in.

If you have never heard of it, the Texas Lions Camp is a 500 acre campsite in Kerrville specifically for children with all sorts of disabilities. They hold one-week camps, and most of them fall into a sort of general category of kids with some kind of physical disability, but there are also some specialty camps including one for kids with Down Syndrome, and also one for kids with Type 1 Diabetes.

The camps are designed to help the kids learn to become more confident and independent and also experience some things they might not have believed they would ever be capable of. Pretty much whatever disability they have, the camp has come up with a way that they can still ride a horse, go swimming, shoot a bow and arrow, and others. In the case of diabetes, they also work with the kids to become better at managing their own health and treatment.

I don't know that Lauren ever attended (or even heard about it), but it would not surprise me to learn that she had.

Here is more information for anyone who is interested: http://www.lionscamp.com/Camps-DiabeticCamp.html

There is no admission charge. The camp is 100% free to the children and their parents. So if you know someone with a child who would be eligible, please spread the word!
slimecap
`

`
slimecap
November 23, 2017

QUOTES from KIM MULKEY

Lauren Cox
"She's good to go. She had a full practice (Monday). She's cleared, as far as I know. She practiced the whole time yesterday. Her deal, as y'all read, came on sudden as well. This one, (Morris), had strep throat and then Lauren got it. With Lauren, we're always aware that her diabetes just makes everything a little bit tougher. It got out of whack and it got out of whack quickly. I was at one hospital. She was at another hospital. You're just helpless. You're helpless here. You're helpless with Lauren. You're helpless with those guys in LA. We're back to normal, as much as we can be."

Loss of Baby Scout
"Guys, it's life. It's not something that you really realize happens to a lot of people, but what do you do? You deal with it. The hard part for me as a mother is you knew this was a sick baby. What you didn't know is how long it would make it. But we're going to move on. We'll never stop talking about (Scout). She's part of our life, their lives. But we've got to keep living. And we will. It's just tough."

UCLA
"We address the obvious. You didn't have your coach and you didn't have one of your key cogs on the team. But those things were out of their control. So you compliment the team on being able to emotionally regroup and go compete as hard as you can. None of us like to lose. Heavens, you'll never meet a more competitive person than me, but it's just a game. You learn from it. Then you sit in the film room and you watch every bit of it because it's a great teaching tool for a lot of young players."

Next game versus Missouri State
"Kellie Harper played for Pat (Summitt) at Tennessee," Mulkey said. "She and her husband both coach there. I think they were picked second in Missouri Valley. They have four starters returning. One of their kids is preseason player of the year. You know they're going to be hard-nosed and well coached. We're going to see every defense imaginable from a three-quarter court 1-2-2 to a zone, match-up zone to a man-to-man. We will be prepared to play Missouri State, but really this is about us. It's always fun to go somewhere that maybe none of us, probably, could have afforded to go to. We'll mix in a little pleasure there. We'll get back to some sense of normalcy when we're in the Bahamas."

QUOTE from DEKEIYA COHEN

"It's just us getting together, playing more games and having a little fun. I think it will be great team bonding and will lift our morale."

Link for entire Waco Tribune-Herald article by Krista Pirtle
http://www.wacotrib.com/sports/baylor/lady_bears_basketball/lady-bears-ready-for-junkanoo-jam/article_2d582141-de73-59d5-bfd1-0a60b8ef5c18.html

`
Pale Rider
Thanks so very much for posting this my dearest sister.
It was truly great to hear what Kim had to say. And of course it was perfect.
Pale Rider
I pray your Thanksgiving is a beautiful day dear sister.
God bless and be with you and your family.
WasheFuzzy
Bone Squad said:

If y'all would indulge me in a little bit of promotion, it is on a related topic that some of you may take interest in.

If you have never heard of it, the Texas Lions Camp is a 500 acre campsite in Kerrville specifically for children with all sorts of disabilities. They hold one-week camps, and most of them fall into a sort of general category of kids with some kind of physical disability, but there are also some specialty camps including one for kids with Down Syndrome, and also one for kids with Type 1 Diabetes.

The camps are designed to help the kids learn to become more confident and independent and also experience some things they might not have believed they would ever be capable of. Pretty much whatever disability they have, the camp has come up with a way that they can still ride a horse, go swimming, shoot a bow and arrow, and others. In the case of diabetes, they also work with the kids to become better at managing their own health and treatment.

I don't know that Lauren ever attended (or even heard about it), but it would not surprise me to learn that she had.

Here is more information for anyone who is interested: http://www.lionscamp.com/Camps-DiabeticCamp.html

There is no admission charge. The camp is 100% free to the children and their parents. So if you know someone with a child who would be eligible, please spread the word!

Thank you for posting this information. Diabetes has so many complications that many are not aware of, including those who are newly diagnosed. I have no doubt that Lauren attended something similar at some point.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.