Baylor WBB Unranked for first time since 2004

28,540 Views | 269 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by Brusinbear2001
Bears09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Enough with the sky is falling hysteria… We will be just fine. Coach Nicki is building her program and bringing in her players.
MrGolfguy
B I N G O !!!
Well I ain't no greenhorn!!
ctxbear
BBWCBear said:

baylor1984 said:

ScottS said:

I do have a question and I'm sure this is answered in KM's book but I can't remember of the top of my head....what was the reason she played for LaTech and not LSU?
La. Tech was the dominant team not only in the State but in the nation.

Now they're just an afterthought if that. My fear is that could be in BU WBB future. There are many here that couldn't care less or would be happy about it. Regardless, Kim brought quality prominent recognition to BU nationally.
Linger around these boards long enough and you'll realize the people seemingly most eager for us to reach La.Tech levels of irrelevance are the ones still holding on to Mulkey in their minds.
Dcheetah
The 20-0 Mulkey you see at LSU today is not the same Coach Mulkey who left our program. She has been revitalized going home. Good for her. Even Lani Tweeted yesterday that Kim seems so much more fun and enthusiastic.

Bear3
Yes !!!! Why do we have to continue to hear this????. Our team is going to be very good next year with Sarah, Jaden, Aijah, Dre, Bella, Buggs, 6'7 Lety, an improving Kyla. good bench play from Jana and a couple of good transfers. Give it a rest…,,,,
montypython
It was a mistake to make Mulkey feel unappreciated and to let her leave.
MrGolfguy
Mulkey didn't like not getting to walk all over her boss, the AD, like she got to when spineless Ian was in charge; so she took her ball & went home. It was no mistake.
Well I ain't no greenhorn!!
montypython
MrGolfguy said:

Mulkey didn't like not getting to walk all over her boss, the AD, like she got to when spineless Ian was in charge; so she took her ball & went home. It was no mistake.

Letting a championship coach go is a mistake.
blueeyedbear
montypython said:

MrGolfguy said:

Letting a championship coach go is a mistake
No, it will turn out to be the best none decision the Administration has ever made. Kim picked the fight and bluffed, and her bluff was called. Good by, and have a nice life.
BBWCBear
blueeyedbear said:

montypython said:

MrGolfguy said:

No, it will turn out to be the best none decision the Administration has ever made. Kim picked the fight and bluffed, and her bluff was called. Good by, and have a nice life.

Keep those existing Championship trophies polished up. Time, moisture, age are hard on 'em.
blueeyedbear
BBWCBear said:

blueeyedbear said:

montypython said:

MrGolfguy said:

Keep those existing Championship trophies polished up. Time, moisture, age are hard on 'em.
Sounds like a perfect job for someone like you with a lot of hot air to blow.
pilgrim
I'm agnostic about the future of Baylor WBB. Hopeful but not convinced. Supportive, but I won't renew season tickets ( after 20+ years). We'll go when we can. Parking issues are going to be a restraint for us, as well. Time for the younger BU fans to fill in widening gaps.
Ghostrider
MrGolfguy said:

all the best coaches do that. Same with the best players. Mack forgot that he wasn't what brought people to the games. Winning does.
Ghostrider
blueeyedbear said:

montypython said:

MrGolfguy said:

. Bluff? She is making more money, won a championship and has the #1 class. Seems like we lost that bluff.
blueeyedbear
Ghostrider said:

blueeyedbear said:

montypython said:

MrGolfguy said:

. Bluff? She is making more money, won a championship and has the #1 class. Seems like we lost that bluff.
Go post your BS on the LSU board - She left on her own ego - She was not fired - Good riddance - Baylor will be better off in the long run. I do not give a **** how many natty's LSU buys for her. It will be interesting to see how long the honeymoon at LSU lasts before the other sport coaches start to complain.
IowaBear
Buys for her?? Lol welcome to 2023 NIL is part of the game. You AP and Sic em 45 are pathetic. Your egos are just too big to admit you were all dead wrong. You expected her to fail miserably. And now that you're all 3 wrong (real shocker) you resort to saying she was baught a title. She's one of the best 3 ever to coach WBB. Only a ****ing moron would think otherwise. This title team for LSU wasn't that talented. That's coaching bud
Ghostrider
blueeyedbear said:

Ghostrider said:

blueeyedbear said:

montypython said:

MrGolfguy said:

Go post your BS on the LSU board - She left on her own ego - She was not fired - Good riddance - Baylor will be better off in the long run. I do not give a **** how many natty's LSU buys for her. It will be interesting to see how long the honeymoon at LSU lasts before the other sport coaches start to complain.

You must hate every successful coach
blueeyedbear
IowaBear said:

Buys for her?? Lol welcome to 2023 NIL is part of the game. You AP and Sic em 45 are pathetic. Your egos are just too big to admit you were all dead wrong. You expected her to fail miserably. And now that you're all 3 wrong (real shocker) you resort to saying she was baught a title. She's one of the best 3 ever to coach WBB. Only a ****ing moron would think otherwise. This title team for LSU wasn't that talented. That's coaching bud
Wasn't that talented !!!! Best you remember it's better to be thought a fool a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
For the record A Ho I never said she would fail miserably. Contrary, I have said repeatedly that moving back to her home state she has been rejuvinated !!
Add up the NIL total $$$ for members of that Natty team - it's in the millions !! That money wasn't doled out because they bake cookies. LSU just bought HVL for well over $ 500,000.00. Wake the F up - It's not a level playing field. in WBB anymore. Your so blind you can't or more to the point won't see the truth what's going on at LSU.
blueeyedbear
Ghostrider said:

blueeyedbear said:

Ghostrider said:

blueeyedbear said:

montypython said:

MrGolfguy said:

You must hate every successful coach
No - Just A ho's like you !!!
IowaBear
What's going on at LSU is that they decided to take WB serious again so they went out and got one of the GOATs. As far as HVL it's been said she's making pretty much the same she did at L'ville. If anyone needs to wake up it's you pal. No one's denying LSU is using theNIL to their advantage (they should, a school with that many alumnus would be dumb not too) but to completely deny that coaching is playing a role in their success is laughable. You're not fooling anyone, it's clear you have a deep hate for Mulkey and that's fine but at least own it like Sic EM 45 and AP do. Your constant pot shots at her are tiring. You tell everyone to move on so perhaps you should take your own advice. Also if Baylor's going to be better off without Mulkey as you empathically stated we should expect 4 titles from CNC right ?
BBWCBear
IowaBear said:

What's going on at LSU is that they decided to take WB serious again so they went out and got one of the GOATs. As far as HVL it's been said she's making pretty much the same she did at L'ville. If anyone needs to wake up it's you pal. No one's denying LSU is using theNIL to their advantage (they should, a school with that many alumnus would be dumb not too) but to completely deny that coaching is playing a role in their success is laughable. You're not fooling anyone, it's clear you have a deep hate for Mulkey and that's fine but at least own it like Sic EM 45 and AP do. Your constant pot shots at her are tiring. You tell everyone to move on so perhaps you should take your own advice. Also if Baylor's going to be better off without Mulkey as you empathically stated we should expect 4 titles from CNC right ?
Yep. True it is. All points are accurate, (1) LSU taking WBB serious, Mack pretty much decided WBB, financially, wasn't as important as Men's sports (not to mention he had trouble filling the job... "Destination Job"). (2) NIL definitely playing a roll and let's be honest, BU will never be able to compete... Mack actually stated that with Smokey not too long ago. (3) HATE, there are a few here who abhor Kim, doesn't matter what she brought to BU, Respect, Pride, National Attention, standing up SINGULARLY for BU in it's darkest of times and oh, Winning and NC's. EGO, show me a successful coach without Ego, they don't exist. Last, but not least, TENN and La Tech are basically irrelevant today. When Geno goes UConn will falter as well. Loyalty has always been one of Kim's strongest attributes and we failed her on that, "Ego" was BU's villain/cop out.

CNC has an extremely tough challenge. It would be for anyone. Everyone is excited about the recruits/transfers. My jury is still out. There have been many talented teams that haven't won due to coaching. I'm just not sold yet. Too many things last season reflected coaching to me, so will have to see what unfolds.
Brusinbear2001
Not that your take is wrong, but I want to know what you thought were purely coaching-inflicted flaws.

I feel with what we had two freshmen, no actual big, and small guards, and an injured roster, it was not too bad. Not that I am settling for that at all but I think those minutes for them freshmen will make them ELITE compared to other sophomores in the league.

I think we were able to fill holes that we were able to see in our roster. One of those is players who bring experience. Jada Walker was a leader at Kentucky, was a defensive menace, and also won an SEC Tournament title. Yaya Felder was the leading scorer in her conference. Both of them can fill that point guard role to let Sarah play off the ball and we saw that a lot last season with Jaden running the point. We had small guards we went and got a big one in Fritz that is a great shooter, at Iowa State they really made her sit in the corner and wait for a kick out 3 so I am excited to see how she can grow when being more involved in a system. Fritz also is another energy player that we need. We got another post presence in Madison, when I watch her she reminds me of a more post-oriented version of Bickle.

I think we are headed in the right direction. I am excited to see how this next recruiting class goes for us. I always said I believe this is one that will be huge for us. I think we have the potential to have one of the best classes in the nation with the Class of 2024.

But I am really interested to hear your takes on everything!!

BBWCBear
Brusinbear2001 said:

Not that your take is wrong, but I want to know what you thought were purely coaching-inflicted flaws.

I feel with what we had two freshmen, no actual big, and small guards, and an injured roster, it was not too bad. Not that I am settling for that at all but I think those minutes for them freshmen will make them ELITE compared to other sophomores in the league.

I think we were able to fill holes that we were able to see in our roster. One of those is players who bring experience. Jada Walker was a leader at Kentucky, was a defensive menace, and also won an SEC Tournament title. Yaya Felder was the leading scorer in her conference. Both of them can fill that point guard role to let Sarah play off the ball and we saw that a lot last season with Jaden running the point. We had small guards we went and got a big one in Fritz that is a great shooter, at Iowa State they really made her sit in the corner and wait for a kick out 3 so I am excited to see how she can grow when being more involved in a system. Fritz also is another energy player that we need. We got another post presence in Madison, when I watch her she reminds me of a more post-oriented version of Bickle.

I think we are headed in the right direction. I am excited to see how this next recruiting class goes for us. I always said I believe this is one that will be huge for us. I think we have the potential to have one of the best classes in the nation with the Class of 2024.

But I am really interested to hear your takes on everything!!

My thoughts on "coaching-inflicted flaws", and it's simply my opinion, revert back to Kim's first year. She took an untalented team back to the basics which stressed defense and honestly, simple passing the ball skills... when necessary pass where the player "will" be not just at her, etc. CNC basically had a clean slate to work with since there was graduation, portal transfers and so on. Obviously, she was Implementing her schemes and so on. Right out of the shoot I didn't see the defense or passing skills I had grown accustomed to for twenty years. Okay, new coach, new squad, growing pains, time and games will improve. Honest to God, in the B12 tournament I saw eighth grade level passing... Sloppy, errant, just every four letter word passing by a Big 12 team. Atrocious!! I couldn't watch it. NOOooooo defense at times. We had a few games were the defense looked better in season, but for every good game two bad games. AND, even in Kim's first year, LIMITED talent to work with, if a player did something wrong on the court and she knew it she was heading for the bench because she knew she was coming out of the game. I didn't see that last year which means, to me, a player had no sense of urgency to correct.

I'm sure I'll get beat up by a select few on here, but those are my takes. As stated previously until I see improvement I'm just not real optimistic. Hopefully, I can eat crow, but I haven't set the table.
blackie
Quote:

if a player did something wrong on the court and she knew it she was heading for the bench because she knew she was coming out of the game. I didn't see that last year which means, to me, a player had no sense of urgency to correct.
Totally agree with the above quote. But who was she suppose to substitute in that wasn't a non-insignificant drop off? I had exactly the same complaint with Scott Drew for far too long. It didn't change until he had the depth of talent to do just what you want done. I got tired of seeing the same ridiculous passes and dribbling into traffic and jacking up shots before we got to be a serious conference title contender. There were multiple times where I had to get up and take a walk instead of watching the rest of the game. Yet Scott kept the offenders in the game because taking them out would almost guarantee the game was a lost cause.

I actually had a similar type of substitution gripe with KM the last year she was here, but in a different situation. My gripe in that year was that she would keep Didi in the game for too long even in blowouts resulting in Sarah and Jordan not getting quality minutes against good conference opponents. Neither was ready to come in against UConn. I think it is hard to make an argument that had that not been done during the season, even if Didi had still gone down, we might very well have 4 trophies in that case because one or both of them would have been ready to allow us to hold or build on the lead we had at the time.

If you see the same non-substitution pattern next year, you will have an excellent point. But so far with the lack of quality depth NC had to work with the last two seasons, there wasn't much to work with to force players to have an urgency to correct through playing time. (This does not assume something wasn't being tried to correct this in some other manner.) Had it been done, there would probably have been more losses and the team would not have even been in the NCAA tournament which would have been a far worse result (recruiting) for the future than we had this year.

To address another point, Baylor would not have won the championship last year if KM had stayed at Baylor. No way she was ever going to pull in the players here that she was able to pull in at LSU to be able to compete against the Staley's of the world. Outside of one year we never pulled in the volume of top talent at one time that she has got at LSU, high school or transfer, and even that one paled compared to what she has gotten there. I hate the "SEC" crap, but conference makes a difference before you even start looking at NIL money. Earlier, we had supposedly the most impactful recruit in recent times in Griner, but we couldn't surround her with enough others of high-enough talent level to do any better than win one championship. Like I said, I don't like the "SEC" garbage, but me not liking it does not make it not real.
Brusinbear2001
I do not disagree at times we did look young but we were last season, we relied a lot on two freshmen who else in the country did that? I cannot think of a team that had made any better than the first weekend of the tournament as well. I think that experience that they had will be a factor in why you are eating a crow if you are to eat one.

When people bring up the year when Kim started one thing that comes to mind is the level of play in the NCAA women's basketball was not as widespread as it is now. I think the game is growing and that is why success is harder now in my opinion. But KM has to get her props as well because like you said the level of talent was not the same on that roster either.

I think one reason it is harder to learn this system is that it is very intricate. It takes players with a High-level IQ. The spacing has to be there. I think once you get players that start to understand it is great. Like in that same Big 12 tournament that pick and roll was nasty and was working. I remember in CNC's first season when Iowa State came to town that was one of the best defensive performances I have seen while she has been here. Along with this past season when we went to Austin.

I think with this system we are going to see more of our players play in the WNBA and be able to stay. Bickle who was not even drafted was able to make it to the final round of cuts. When we ended that bubble season who even thought that was much of a possibility with the minutes she was able to get that far into her career?

Last season we have to realize we did not have either All-SEC conference play that we recruited out of the portal playing. I think with them the freshman getting older, and the new portal players we have coming this could be a very great season for us. Being able to gel will be a conversation. I will be interested to see how she tweaks not just the Offensive system but also defensively to fit this combination of players.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.