Story Poster
Photo by Jack Mackenzie - SicEm365
Baylor Women's Basketball

The 1-3-1: Baylor (15-6, 6-3) at No.12 Iowa State (15-5, 7-3)

February 4, 2023

After knocking off Kansas on Wednesday night in the Ferrell Center, Baylor (15-6, 6-3) heads to Ames, Iowa on Saturday to face the 12th ranked Cyclones (15-5, 7-3) for the first time this season. The Bears have an opportunity to avoid being on the wrong side of  history with a victory, as Iowa State head coach Bill Fennelly would become the 27th coach in NCAA Women's Basketball history to reach 750 career wins.

Here is the 1-3-1 on Baylor and No. 12 ISU.

One Player:

Baylor will be in for a long night if they let the Cyclones get rolling from behind the arc. Iowa State is currently eighth in the country at 9.0 3-pointers per game. That effort has been led in part by Ashley Joens, who leads the team with 57 3-pointers.

Jones (25.5 ppg, 10.5 rpg, 4.0 apg)  is coming off a 17-point performance in a 78-77 loss to K-State — 13 in the second half — on Wednesday, which earned her Big 12 Player of the Week honors. 

Three Nuggets:

●      Baylor holds the 32-9 advantage in the all-time series with Iowa State and has won 12 of the last 14 meetings dating back to the 2015-16 season.

●      Iowa State is 10-0 at home this season.

●      The Cyclones rank second nationally with a team free throw shooting percentage of 79.9 percent.

One Concern:

The Bears can’t afford to let this game be determined at the free throw line. The Cyclones rank second nationally with a team free throw shooting percentage of 79.9 percent. The effort is led by Emily Ryan, who is 92.3 percent from the line to rank eighth nationally.

Despite the loss to the Wildcats, Iowa State went 13-of-13 from the free throw line, tied for the second-best free throw shooting effort as a team under Fennelly (14-14 vs. West Virginia, Feb. 24, 2021).

Watch/Listen

The contest between the Bears and the Cyclones is set to air nationally at 5 p.m. on ESPNU inside the Hilton Coliseum, while in-game updates will also be provided via Twitter or live stats.

Discussion from...

The 1-3-1: Baylor (15-6, 6-3) at No.12 Iowa State (15-5, 7-3)

5,879 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by slimecap
WacoKelly83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This is going to be a tough one. Hopefully we can hit on all cylinders. Go Bears!
IowaBear
Here in Hilton, great start by the Bears until Ashley took over. Clones by 1 headed to the 2nd
Baylorkid
We're on fire today! Just got to play good defense. Our offense is looking good so far! Caitlin Bickle is playing well right now
Wbbfan29
Can't watch the game at the moment but I looked at the score on yahoo. Is Asberry playing today? I don't see her name
Baylorkid
Wbbfan29 said:

Can't watch the game at the moment but I looked at the score on yahoo. Is Asberry playing today? I don't see her name

She's playing! She's starting
IowaBear
Down 1 headed to the 4th. We shut down Eyan and Donarski yet still trail
74Bear
ESPN announcer just referred to the "lack of discipline by the Baylor offense". He sure hit the nail on the head.
Defense looks really good.
hlc6008
GRIT!
MrGolfguy
Huge road win!!!!
Well I ain't no greenhorn!!
beartrackster
Dirty fouls by Iowa State in last 2 minutes!
historian
Did anyone else think that Cyclones player tried to tackle Asberry late in the game? That's what it looked like to me.
Bear3
Major major win for Nicki, staff and this team!!! Extremely proud!
historian
Sic 'em Lady Bears!!
blueeyedbear
MrGolfguy said:

Huge road win!!!!
Absolutely, Huge road win !!!!
Now, time to send the Okies home with an L
GruntTuff
Bears. Not Lady Bears.

Great win. I believe this staff will produce Top 10 results consistently and do it with class.
Bear3
Yes. The end fouls were flagrant and should have been called. I hope JaMee and Sarah are OK. Both were rubbing shoulders after those fouls.
historian
I know Baylor no longer calls them "Lady" Bears but that doesn't mean we cannot. I have no idea why they made that change. They are women and it differentiates between them & the men. Also, it's a sign of respect.
MrGolfguy
Seems like the demise of this team has been greatly exaggerated
Well I ain't no greenhorn!!
GruntTuff
It's a sign of respect to call them what THEY decided to be called. We know they are female and thus different from males. Respect their decision. Don't make it political. If you want to call them ladies, use a lowercase "l".
Cove Dawg
GruntTuff said:

It's a sign of respect to call them what THEY decided to be called. We know they are female and thus different from males. Respect their decision. Don't make it political. If you want to call them ladies, use a lowercase "l".

What a world we live in lady Bears is fine but Lady Bears is not. Please stop the world and let me off.
GruntTuff
The coaches and players decided they want to be called Bears. Why is it so hard to respect their decision. They are the ones who work their you know what's off when we are flipping channels. Respect their decision.
hitmanmw
So proud of this team!! When the 48-41 lead went to 48-48 in a few minutes, I thought we were done. What a huge win a very hostile environment. CONGRATULATIONS!!!
ctxbear
If I'm in the woods and come across a bear, the words that come out of my mouth will be "Oh, s#!+, it's a bear!" I'm not wasting my time gendering it. If (assuming I survive the situation), someone who was with me made a deal of it and said, "You know, it was actually a lady bear, but you just called it a bear," I'm looking at that person like a damn fool.
hitmanmw
Coach Nicki deserves a lot of credit!!!
Olympia3
Great job. Sarah is the key to this team. If she plays really well….. we most likely win.

Great job ladies. Coach Nc, great job!!
Bear3
Yes she does! This team is playing without 2 top players. Two freshmen are playing major minutes and they are looking good.
bearmission8
Enjoyed this game. Bears played with more purpose and intensity.
historian
That's good for this year and next.
Dcheetah
End of game

curtpenn
GruntTuff said:

The coaches and players decided they want to be called Bears. Why is it so hard to respect their decision. They are the ones who work their you know what's off when we are flipping channels. Respect their decision.

Perhaps coaches and players should respect those who were fans before coaches were employed at Baylor or before all of the players were even born. There would be no need for either without fans.
historian
I don't understand why anyone cares. The world has much bigger problems than whether or not female athletes are called "Ladies". I'm certainly not going to call them men!
lookin4awin
Big Time Win on the Road! Hope we can get on a roll.
slimecap
Olympia3 said:

Great job.
Sarah is the key to this team. If she plays really well….. we most likely win.

mcleod66
historian said:

I know Baylor no longer calls them "Lady" Bears but that doesn't mean we cannot. I have no idea why they made that change. They are women and it differentiates between them & the men. Also, it's a sign of respect.
They dropped the Lady b/c none of the other womens Baylor sports teams denote themselves as Lady Bears, and neither do the vast majority (if any) of their conference opponents. It was about name continuity, not anything political. Not a big deal.
historian
Thanks for the info. It seems like it is a big deal to some fans, though.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.