We're in the Sweet Sixteen

7,201 Views | 69 Replies | Last: 25 days ago by BU71
EvilTroyAndAbed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
And the top two threads are about Kim.

We just played a great game on the road, let's keep threads about the current team on the top.

(I've contributed to the other KM threads as well, I won't lie.)
Stefano DiMera
A road win against a team that had won 23 in a row at home when every call went against us down the stretch.

Nikki is building her foundation now but we have too many fans that can't move on.

Nothing..I mean nothing in life lasts forever.
Chibears2
I am so proud of this team and staff. That was an extremely hostile environment and the game was tense tip to final buzzer and we played mentally tough.

Glad those players are young and fit. I just spectated and I'm exhausted!!
Brusinbear2001
it feels like we finally got over the hump, and it feels good. Almost like a broke the curse feeling. We just need to continue to go 1-0 and who knows why could happen!!
juliejay84
What a great game in an environment that was all Hokies. So happy for this team and especially for Coach Nicki! And I thought it was terrific to see the BU Prez there cheering them on too.
jdrs
So happy for this team! Helps take the sting out of the men's loss a little.
SirBearALot
Wouldn't it be nice to see Kansas upset USC.. we have a little revenge motivation agains the Jay Hawks .and guarantee a Big 12 team in the Elite Eight !! go hawks,
ScottS
Congratulations to the Lady Bears/CNC
SirBearALot
Iowa St. has a chance to beat Stanford on their home court !!
SirBearALot
Iowa St. in OT vs. Satanford..
Method Man
CNC has now accomplished a BIGXII regular season title, and Sweet 16 appearance here at Baylor.
Coach Collen is a keeper. They've had a damn good season.
25 wins is impressive any way you slice it.
BigGameBaylorBear
I posted one of the KM threads but it wasn't anything about praising her

Anyways, who are we playing next?
Brusinbear2001
Either USC or Kansas
Stefano DiMera
Nobody wants to talk about the potential Final 4 matchup with the woman who dresses like a peacock?
TinFoilHatPreacherBear
Awesome job Ladies.
ChapBear
We beat two really good teams so far. VA Tech reminds me of Kansas State minus Lee.
chorne68
Stefano DiMera said:

A road win against a team that had won 23 in a row at home when every call went against us down the stretch.

Nikki is building her foundation now but we have too many fans that can't move on.

Nothing..I mean nothing in life lasts forever.
I am sorry, I do not see fans that cannot move on. Everyone I know are very happy we have Nikki and were glad we had Kim but are not sorry that she is gone. I loved her when she was winning at Baylor but want to see her lose every game she coaches. I am a Baylor fan not a Kim fan.
Brusinbear2001
We just gotta go 1-0
blackie
I am making a statement of which you need to read the words very carefully, so as to not read them to imply anything other than what they say.

I believe this win may be the most important win that we have had considering where the program was at the time of the game since the 2005 Michigan State game.

I am not saying this is the greatest win we have had or the greatest achievement.....certainly not, but I think as viewed from where the program stood before the game was played, I really can't think of any other that had the potential to have the most impact going forward.

Before 2005, Baylor WBB was nothing more than another name in a hodge-podge of mediocrity. After the 2005 Michigan State game, the Lady Bears (at the time) were on the WBB map of teams that were relevant. No ceiling was too high for them. Nothing they accomplished after would be shocking. They were a respected entity in the sport.

With the events of the summer of 2021, the program was thrown into the trash can. And the sad thing is that the ones who proclaimed the end of any relevance were not so much the WBB world outside of Baylor, but by supposed Baylor fans. And some of the worst no doubt on this board. The team on this board was called a junior high team with a coach who didn't know what she was doing, didn't really want to be here, didn't care about defense and was bought on the "cheap" because of an administration that saw the WBB program as a necessary evil in funding.

The win last night will obviously need to be followed through on in coming years to be considered a true turning point, but I can think of no other win since that one in 2005 that sent a message about a change in direction of the health and potential positive future of the program considering where it had been up to that point in its recent history.
PartyBear
I agree. I had not compared it to any other historic analogy like you did. But I saw last nights game as another potential huge moment in the history of that program. It seemed the commentators also seemed to think that as well, based on reading between the lines of what they were saying about it near the end of the game and on social media after the game.
whitetrash
blackie said:

I am making a statement of which you need to read the words very carefully, so as to not read them to imply anything other than what they say.

I believe this win may be the most important win that we have had considering where the program was at the time of the game since the 2005 Michigan State game.

I am not saying this is the greatest win we have had or the greatest achievement.....certainly not, but I think as viewed from where the program stood before the game was played, I really can't think of any other that had the potential to have the most impact going forward.

Before 2005, Baylor WBB was nothing more than another name in a hodge-podge of mediocrity. After the 2005 Michigan State game, the Lady Bears (at the time) were on the WBB map of teams that were relevant. No ceiling was too high for them. Nothing they accomplished after would be shocking. They were a respected entity in the sport.

With the events of the summer of 2021, the program was thrown into the trash can. And the sad thing is that the ones who proclaimed the end of any relevance were not so much the WBB world outside of Baylor, but by supposed Baylor fans. And some of the worst no doubt on this board. The team on this board was called a junior high team with a coach who didn't know what she was doing, didn't really want to be here, didn't care about defense and was bought on the "cheap" because of an administration that saw the WBB program as a necessary evil in funding.

The win last night will obviously need to be followed through on in coming years to be considered a true turning point, but I can think of no other win since that one in 2005 that sent a message about a change in direction of the health and potential positive future of the program considering where it had been up to that point in its recent history.
I'm not sure you can compare getting last night's 2nd round monkey off our back to conquering the ultimate summit, but I would posit that an apt comparison would be the win over Duke in the 2010 Elite Eight. We had won the title in 2005, had a tremendous recruiting class (Player/Morrow/Allison/etc) that was good but fell short at every turn all 4 years they were there (lost the conference titles to OU and Courtney Paris each year, Emily Niemann abandoning the team at the beginning of the 2005-06 school year, Jhasmin's torn ACL in 2008, Rachel's stress reactions in 2009). We had the even greater recruiting class of 2009-10, but they were all raw and had suffered numerous bad losses through the season, but everything finally clicked in the last 5 minutes of the Duke game and we came from 8 down to win.

Now granted, we got to the FF a year earlier than expected, and were no match for UConn's juggernaut. And the next year we were stuck with the indignity of having to beat Aggy a fourth time just to get to the FF. But eventually we ascended again.

Chibears2
I don't know. I agree with the original post that this has significance for this team way beyond just advancing to the next round.

It legitimizes Coach Collen's ability to coach at college level; no matter what happens, it opens doors to the next level of recruits, because now the recruits can be shown how they are the missing piece to get to the Final Four; it gives player's who are returning the experience at the next level; it keeps Baylor's name being mentioned in same conversation as some truly elite programs.

Remember, prior to winning it all in 2005, our team had been a 2 seed and had been knocked out at home by Drake. Then, we had our last second loss to Tennessee (refs :/) the year prior. Kim had only been an assistant prior to the BU job, and while she had been a winner at all prior levels, neither she nor Baylor had proven themselves on that stage before. Now, when the proof came in, it was on the grandest scale in a national championship, but prior to that, there were still many questions. Afterwards, we get some of our most top level players and Baylor becomes a well-known name in WBB.

The reputation and interest from top level recruits is still there for us, but it was definitely on the slippery slope of "what have you done lately?" This appearance in the Final Four says we're still in the game and gives us a foundation under Collen upon which we can build. While certainly not as dramatic as a National Championship (who would even argue that?!), it might very well have the same impact and significance for this new era.
GrizBear
Some of you will be getting a big dose of reality soon.

Great win by the Lady Bears for sure, but this was not the same Virginia Tech team that was undefeated at home this season. Do I have to remind you they lost 3-time ACC POY Elizabeth Kitley to an ACL in their last regular season game? After that, Notre Dame beat them by 29 in the ACC tournament.

Even then, it took a heroic and fabulous effort by Jada Walker to pull this one off. Super glad for Jada and the Lady Bears but this was not the landmark win some of you are making it out to be.
ChapBear

Great win by the Lady Bears for sure, but this was not the same Virginia Tech team that was undefeated at home this season.

That won't matter to anyone when we are recruiting players who want to be a part of getting us back to the mountaintop.
fredbear
Congratulations to coach and team. Well coached and well played!! Hope we can pick up one or more experienced bigs in portal for next year. Really impressed with Russian post at MTSU. Have to reload even while u prepare for sweet 16.
blackie
GrizBear said:

Great win by the Lady Bears for sure, but this was not the same Virginia Tech team that was undefeated at home this season. Do I have to remind you they lost 3-time ACC POY Elizabeth Kitley to an ACL in their last regular season game? After that, Notre Dame beat them by 29 in the ACC tournament.

Even then, it took a heroic and fabulous effort by Jada Walker to pull this one off. Super glad for Jada and the Lady Bears but this was not the landmark win some of you are making it out to be.
I knew this comment would rear its head, but I wasn't going to comment until I saw it. We all know this was not the VT team of earlier in the year. The thing is the committee knew that as well. If Kitley was still playing, VT would not have been a 4-seed. They would have been higher which would have pushed another team down to the 4. The point being we beat the higher seeded team on its home court in front of a very motivated packed house in a tough place to play. If the committee felt that VT didn't even deserve a 4 seed without Kitley, they would not have been there. And VT did have time to develop their game knowing Kitley would be unavailable. They did not have that time prior to the ACC tournament.

The game was significant as it represents on the court highly visible improvement, not "internal improvement", but something that the naysayers here tell us that is all that counts......results on the scoreboard and in the bracket. It puts Baylor's name back into the second weekend of the tournament. It keeps Baylor's name in media and its name comes out of the mouths of the talking heads for another week. It has to be a boost to how the staff sells the program to recruits and portal participants. Another 2nd round exit would not do any of that. As someone above pointed out the Duke game was also significant. I didn't single that one out because the Baylor name in WBB had already been "announced" because of 2005. But we did after 2005 falter, so the Duke game was one that reminded people we were still out there and were not going away. The game last night was similar, especially after we had been counted for dead after 2021.

We cannot live in the past. We as a program got dumped at the altar and without any prior notice. What the staff has been able to do is remarkable under the circumstances. Yet some of our own "fans" continue to take every opportunity to portray it in a negative light. I don't think anyone here expects to make the E8, but we wouldn't be shocked if we did. And if we don't, that won't take away what the team accomplished this year. Progress has been made every year and the team has gotten stronger. What last night's game did is put us back in the news that includes only 15 other teams.
Chibears2
Amen! And I had the same thought about the parallels with Duke. They had to wander through Joanne P. McCallie desert for several years….
TechDawgMc
GrizBear said:

I don't think anyone expects this team to make a final four. Anything from here on this year is gravy. Hardly a reality check if we lose to a one seed.

So if I pointed out that we lost a key big girl to injury before the season and that we probably win at least 3-4 more games and are a 4 seed and hosting, most people here would say that was an excuse. Somehow, it's not when applied to who we beat. Interesting.
Brusinbear2001
if this team finds a way to get to Cleveland, it would be the best feeling ever!! I think it is possible. We have yet to see a game where everyone is just hitting their shots and playing lights out. I think of games like 2 years ago against Iowa State, I would say last season at Texas. If we can get that or close to it this weekend things could get really interesting. I mean it is March!!
historian
BigGameBaylorBear said:

I posted one of the KM threads but it wasn't anything about praising her

Anyways, who are we playing next?

USC demolished Kansas on their home court with a large crowd. Kansas fought hard but lost by almost 20 in the end. At least we will play on a true neutral court & our ladies have proven themselves repeatedly against tough competition.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
Brusinbear2001
I think the zone was impacting USC but then they got a groove with and it was over. I'm interested to see our game plan for them.
Task Force 2015
I think this win coupled with the returning players(most if not all guards plus the super soph forwards)will facilitate getting a couple of established power five quality bigs.I am not giving up on our young bigs but we need a dose or two of established player height.Foster should help recruiting as well.
blackie
Task Force 2015 said:

I think this win coupled with the returning players(most if not all guards plus the super soph forwards)will facilitate getting a couple of established power five quality bigs.I am not giving up on our young bigs but we need a dose or two of established player height.Foster should help recruiting as well.
Pardon my cluelessness, but who is Foster?
Brusinbear2001
it's just the new Arena, but I agree with the post. We can sell that you (the dominant post player) are the missing piece to our puzzle for a national championship run. When you look at our losses it was because of post play so you will have an opportunity to fit in with some amazing guards. It is a team that shares the ball so it also won't all be on you to take us to where we want to be. We have a new arena and adding a piece like you we can have this place packed every night. We want to win but not only that we want to see you grow not only as a basketball player but a person.

boom that is the pitch
ScottyB_The_Baylor_King
And the Virginia tech head coach has been hired at Kentucky.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.