Roster spots

15,833 Views | 97 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by Bear3
Big Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
You hit it out of the park..right on target. Agree.
Wbbfan29
Spot on!
BUatbirth
Yep. Always good insight from Dcheeta. Another aspect…as AP has mentioned…NIL money and zero transfer rules can cut both ways. Scholarship and NIL $$, and a coach is getting no return on investment..or very little?
Limited resources must be used wisely. Want to be fair…but, it's a business now. IMO
Threebears
Good freshmen populate all the top teams and make an impact. If a 6'7" freshman couldn't get playing time on this short team, there were some athleticism issues. She was probably not in the plans for next year. When I saw her, she didn't rebound, block out, or hold on to the ball.
BU71
What do we know about Kyla Abraham's status? I was sure she would be a contributor in her second year but man was I wrong! From the outside her athleticism seems to fit the system we run. I do remember hearing an interview with CNC during Kyla's freshman year and she said that she was physically ahead of Queen Egbo at the same age. She also said that she was trying to get her to stop doing some things that she tried to get Queen to stop doing. Can anyone shed any light on her status for us?
Brusinbear2001
i think she just took a redshirt year, i think the staff decided to go all in on the small ball, and so why waste her year when you needed Blackwell and Dree on the floor. She probably needed just one more solid year of development to be ready. That is why i can see a player like Cameron Williams who is a grad transfer w a good fit ñ. Allow Kyla to come in off the bench for her and then she will still have two years after next season to lead that 5 spot on her own.
605Bear
BU71 said:

What do we know about Kyla Abraham's status? I was sure she would be a contributor in her second year but man was I wrong! From the outside her athleticism seems to fit the system we run. I do remember hearing an interview with CNC during Kyla's freshman year and she said that she was physically ahead of Queen Egbo at the same age. She also said that she was trying to get her to stop doing some things that she tried to get Queen to stop doing. Can anyone shed any light on her status for us?

My daughter and I went to the Sweet 16 send off at the airport. Kyla was talking to a gentleman next to us. He asked her if she was going to play and she said something to the effect of she was done for the year, but she would be back next season. Take it for what it's worth. Obviously she wouldn't have used that opportunity to announce she was leaving, but encouraging to hear her say she would be back.
BU71
605Bear said:

BU71 said:

My daughter and I went to the Sweet 16 send off at the airport. Kyla was talking to a gentleman next to us. He asked her if she was going to play and she said something to the effect of she was done for the year, but she would be back next season. Take it for what it's worth. Obviously she wouldn't have used that opportunity to announce she was leaving, but encouraging to hear her say she would be back.
That is encouraging, I believe she can defend, rebound, & rimrun She isn't a three point threat but if she has worked on it she could be a consistent midrange shooter. I would love to see how our coaches could use her talents once she is ready.
Polarbear
If we assume the dust has settled on our transfers out, here's what we've got heading into next season:

• Guards - 5 (Andrews, Walker, Van Gytenbeek, Felder, Goryanova). Four of those players have already shown they can compete at a championship level, the 5th is a talented Freshman with unknown impact. All are 5 foot something.
  • Forwards - 3 (Fontleroy, Buggs, Nelms). Two of those players have already shown they can compete at a championship level, the 3rd is a talented Freshman with unknown impact. All are 6'1".
  • Posts - 2 (Abraham, Bartley). Neither has yet shown they can compete at a championship level. Both are 6'3".

That's 10 players on the roster, so it seems we would ideally add 2 or 3 more. It screams out that our focus needs to be on Posts and Forwards who have length. Every time I see another article about a 5 foot something guard declaring for the portal, I yawn and skip past it, no matter how talented she is. The 2 or 3 additions to the roster must be at Post and Forward, and must be taller than 6'0".

Based on the available players who have declared for the portal, it seems our dream list of prospects would be as follows (in preferential order; note that I have no inside info, this is just me looking at stats and bios and interviews and videos on the internet):
1) Timea Gardiner - Oregon State - 6'3" Forward - averaged 11 points, 7 boards, and shot 39% (!) from 3. She was the #6 ranked recruit on ESPN out of HS, and after missing most of Freshman season with injury had a fantastic season this year. An ideal fit for the way Collen wants to play, she has length and can stretch a defense. Two seasons remaining.
2) Ajae Petty - Kentucky - 6'3" Post - averaged 14 points, 10 boards (!). A true post, with some bounce and mobility. One season remaining.
3) Saylor Poffenbarger - Arkansas - 6'2" Foward - averaged 10 points, 11 boards (!), and shot 33% from 3. Two seasons remaining.
4) Grace VanSlooten - Oregon - 6'3" Forward - averaged 15 points, 7 boards. Two seasons remaining. As talented as she is, there are red flags. Why did such a talented scorer only shoot 40% from the field? Why did such a talented scorer only make 2 shots from 3 point range in 31 games? With Oregon's size, she was often forced to the perimeter; if she played with Collen and this roster she'd be at PF or Post, so can she defend the post and feel comfortable there?
5) Elle Evans - North Dakota State - 6'3" Forward - averaged 15 points, 5 boards, and shot 45% (!) from 3. Big red flag is her level of competition; will she be athletic enough to compete at an elite level against Big 12 and top D1 talent? Specifically, can she defend and rebound in games against Top 20 teams? We know she's long and can shoot. Two seasons remaining.

Two dark horses:
A) Raegan Beers - Oregon State - 6'4" Post - averaged 17 points, 10 boards. She's a strong, powerful Post, who was ranked #10 in her class out of HS and was 3rd team All American this year. She competed admirably against Cardoso in the Elite Eight game, and is one of the rare players in the country who could compete against Ayoka Lee and Audi Crooks. She hasn't declared for the Portal, but with Oregon State getting left behind by the Pac 12 (joining the WCC) and their other two best players leaving (Gardiner and Van Oelhoffen) it feels like an announcement could come soon and she'd be high on our dream list.
B) Khadiya Faye - Texas - 6'4" Post - she had a hard time finding minutes in a talented frontcourt with Jones, Moore, Gaston, and Muhammad, but she has length and she is a defensive presence on the interior.

Excited to see how the next few weeks shake out.
Brusinbear2001
i absolutely love this post, the portal season is one of my favorite parts of college basketball i love free agency as well. All the breaking news and tracking is fun to me.

So for me I love the list you put together, I think Grace is more than capable from 3 but I think the way Oregon was played a lot she was that player that was at the top of the key passing and making the mid range jumpers. There offense did not have a great flow to it at all. I think that is why she is leaving. I feel she has the ability to create shots for herself and we can put the ball in her hands. She has so much room to grow and an extremely high ceiling and I think that is the fun part.

I wanted to add the name of Chance Gray. Our coaches are following her she is a bit taller I want to say 5'9 i'm not 100% sure. But she can SHOOT. Even watching the Oregon game back that was a focus for us is to not let her get hot. But imagine her and sarah in the corners and Jada being the point. All 3 can handle the ball and have had to be PG's at some point in their careers. She has shot 33% from 3 but that is once again where everyone is able to key on her as a shooter. She adds more depth to our guards and can see her being what we hoped Denae could have been. Because of her ability to handle the ball. The only thing I fear is we lose a player like Yaya because of this kind of pick up.

I would love Gardiner I would say she was one of my favorite players that were not the stars on her team for a sleeper team. She is like Bella in a way where people can forget about her but she will burn you. She could be our 5 and I think we would be fine. She is 6'3 she can shoot like you said she can finish around the rim. We were able to get boards with our small team and I feel that would not only continue but improve with a big like her in there. That goes for Petty as well. She does not shoot as well but she is GREAT in the post.

I want us to be able to have even more productive depth. I look at a team like South Carolina and that is what got them to the title. Being able to have 9 players give you a great game any given night and most nights it was more than one. I think great players can all coexist and it work out but the connection piece is important.
Big Bear
Getting Grace and Raegan would be a dream come true.
chorne68
I totally disagree that we do not need a new guard this year. All but one of our great guards will graduate next year. We need to get at least one possibly two young guards.
Polarbear
I understand your thought process, and you're correct we will lose 4 to graduation next year. That will leave us with just Ines, plus Marcayla Johnson, plus any other HS recruits we sign in the fall. That's a young and small group in the backcourt.

Reasons I'm ok with that approach and don't feel we need to force a Guard onto the roster this year:
a. The Era of The Portal has changed everything. Every year the market is flooded with players, allowing a team to rebuild quickly. There will be Guards available next Spring, as they are this year and every year. The Era of The Portal also means that traditional approaches to player development and roster construction are out the window, because we have no guarantee that any of our players will remain from year to year. By necessity, the portal might be our path next Spring to rebuild our backcourt.
b. Most of the guards who have declared for the portal this year are not at the talent level we seek, so we shouldn't waste a roster spot on them..
c. Many of the ones who are interesting talents (ex. Georgia Amoore, Maddie Scherr, Lucy Olsen) are Seniors or 5th year Seniors, so they won't help the goal of building a backcourt for 2026.
d. We're really looking for a unicorn. We'd love a taller Guard, who just finished Freshman or Sophomore year and has 2 or 3 years remaining, and is talented enough to compete at a championship level, and fits Collen's style of play, but understands she'll probably have limited minutes in a crowded backcourt in 2025.
e. I'm also a loyalist to a fault, in that I'm grateful to Sarah, Jada, Jana, Yaya, and Ines for committing to and/or staying at Baylor. I understand that if our goal is to compete at an elite level we must always seek greater talent. However, if we recruit a Guard in the portal this year it will likely cause one of our existing 5 Guards to leave. I'd struggle with that, so any Guard we bring in better be an All Conference stud who can push us over the hump into the Final Four, or I don't wanna pay the cost of losing a talented and productive player who has shown loyalty to us.

Caveat to all this. Under the concept of "positionless" BB, if we're talking about a player who is 6'0" or taller and has been listed as a "Guard" on previous roster, but likely would get the majority of minutes for Baylor at SF, that's a different story. At the moment, Bella is the only natural SF on the roster. Yaya and Buggs could swing over there, but that's not their natural fit, so ideally we'd have another player at SF. For example, Laila Phelia (6'0") and Saylor Poffenbarger (6'2") are both listed as "Guards" and are outstanding players who could easily slot at SF, so either would be an excellent addition.

I think my main point is we have five very good Guards who are 5 foot something, so we don't need more of that. We also just finished a season in which we gave up size at the majority of positions in nearly every game. This roster needs size.
Wbbfan29
I agree. I think you are spot on. I don't want anymore small guards we need forwards and post players. WE NEED SIZE!!! Two years In a row we have played 6'1 and 5"11 at the 5 spot. We need a true big. Hopefully Kyla has come a long and ready to step up.
woodsa75
Kennedy Basham was my Darkhorse to come play for us from Oregon. I agree we need someone who can handle Crooks and Lee on the block.
BU71
woodsa75 said:

Kennedy Basham was my Darkhorse to come play for us from Oregon. I agree we need someone who can handle Crooks and Lee on the block.
If her profile is accurate Marcayla Johnson is 6'0". Hope this is a true measurement.
Dcheetah
Even if she is 5-11" or so that would still be a big improvement
Polarbear
Updating the list of interesting players in the portal, after a few more days of activity. Note this isn't a list of the best players, it's a list of the players I think we may be interested in pursuing, because of their talent and our needs and their years remaining. It's only the opinion of a moron with a PC:

HOME RUN TIER (i.e. give us the Oregon State frontcourt) - THEY COULD MAKE US ELITE:
1) Raegan Beers - 6'4" Post, Oregon State, will be Jr next year. Alas, she may have do not contact posted.
2) Timea Gardiner - 6'3" Forward, Oregon State, will be Jr next year.

VERY, VERY GOOD TIER - THEY WOULD MAKE US MUCH BETTER:
3) Saylor Poffenbarger - 6'2" G/F, UConn/Arkansas, will be Jr next year.
4) Grace VanSlooten - 6'3" Forward, Oregon, will be Jr next year.
5) Ajae Petty - 6'3" Post, Kentucky, will be Sr.
6) Liza Karlen - 6'2" Forward, Marquette, will be Sr.
7) Deyona Gaston - 6'2" Forward, Texas, will be Sr.

INTERESTING, AND MAYBE THEY'LL BE VERY GOOD, BUT THERE ARE QUESTION MARKS TIER:
7) Nat Marshall - 6'5" Post, Notre Dame, will be Sr. (why was she a reserve with ND, is she fully healthy after injuries)
8) Temira Poindexter - 6'1" Forward, Tulsa, will be Sr. (can she compete at higher level of competition, can she share the ball without needing to be volume scorer)
9) Elle Evans - 6'3" Forward, North Dakota St, will be Jr (can she compete at higher level of competition, is she strong enough to rebound against bigger and stronger bodies)
10) Khadiya Faye - 6'4" Post, Texas, will be Sr. (is she mobile and skiilled enough to fit into Collen's desired style of play)

GUARDS AND SMALLER WINGS - GREAT PLAYERS, BUT NOT OUR BIGGEST NEED RIGHT NOW:
1) Donovyn Hunter - 6'0" Guard, Oregon State, will be Soph (this is the Unicorn, based on talent and youth).
2) Laila Phelia - 6'0" Guard, Michigan, will be Sr.
3) Liatu King - 6'0" Wing, Pitt, will be Sr.
4) Leilani Kapinus - 5'10" Guard, Penn State, will be Sr.
5) Lucy Olsen - 5'9" Guard, Villanova, will be Sr.
Brusinbear2001
LOVE THIS POST I AGREE!!!
Polarbear
Kiki Iriafen slots into the Home Run Tier as the #1 prospect.
Janiah Barker slots into the Very, Very Good Tier.

Doesn't it feel like the Transfer Portal has become such a big thing, that Hoop Gurlz or ESPN or somebody should start putting together a rankings list just like they do for HS recruiting every year?
Brusinbear2001
they definitely should!!
BearTiger
Kiki will be pursuing her Masters. She has do not contact tag. Saw reports that she is pursuing NIL $$.
Dcheetah
Polarbear said:

Kiki Iriafen slots into the Home Run Tier as the #1 prospect.
Janiah Barker slots into the Very, Very Good Tier.

Doesn't it feel like the Transfer Portal has become such a big thing, that Hoop Gurlz or ESPN or somebody should start putting together a rankings list just like they do for HS recruiting every year?

From the Athletic. Posted before Kiki came out

Raegan Beers, Oregon State sophomore forward,17.5 PPG, 10.3 RPG, 66 FG%
2. Taliah Scott, Arkansas freshman guard,22.1 PPG, 3.3 rebounds per game RPG, 41 FG %
3. Kaitlyn Chen, Princeton senior guard,15.8 PPG, 5.0 APG, 3.5 RPG, 49 FG%
4. Talia von Oelhoffen, Oregon State junior guard,10.7 PPG, 5.0 APG, 4.1 RPG, 39 FG%
5. Saylor Poffenbarger, Arkansas redshirt sophomore guard,10.2 PPG, 11.2 RPG (9.4 defensive RPG), 36 FG%
6. Timea Gardiner, Oregon State sophomore forward,11.6 PPG, 7.0 RPG, 45 FG%, 40 3 PT FG%
7. Janiah Barker, Texas A&M sophomore forward,12.2 PPG, 7.6 RPG, 48 FG%
8. Lucy Olsen, Villanova junior guard,23.3 PPG, 4.8 RPG, 3.8 APG
9. Hailey Van Lith, LSU senior guard,11.6 PPG, 2.4 RPG, 3.6 APG, 38 FG%
10. Jordan Obi, Penn junior guard,14.8 PPG, 7.7 RPG, 2.3 APG, 39 3PT%
11. Ajae Petty, Kentucky senior forward,14.2 PPG, 10.6 RPG, 51 FG%
12. Deja Kelly, North Carolina senior guard,16.3 PPG, 3.2 APG, 3.9 RPG, 35 FG%
13. Alyssa Latham, Syracuse freshman forward,8.6 PPG, 7.0 RPG, 46 FG%
14. Laila Phelia, Michigan junior guard,16.8 PPG, 3.6 RPG, 2.0 APG, 1.2 SPG
15. Shay Ciezki, Penn State sophomore guard,11.5 PPG, 2.4 APG, 42 FG%
16. Maddie Scherr, Kentucky senior guard,12.5 PPG, 4.8 RPG, 3.4 APG, 34 FG%
Reactions:WiseWillie, JellyBean, WLT1717 and 13 others

Chibears2
Van Slooten not on list? Van Lith is? Interesting…. No strong opinion, just interesting….
Dcheetah
Everyone's list is so sifferent. Saw aanother list where Liatu King was #1 (before Beers and entered), Grace was around #7 and HVL listed but below that. See if I can find it. Point is I think there are a number of players that can help us.
Chibears2
It feels like the week before Christmas! Can't wait for the presents to be unwrapped!
Polarbear
Lots of daily movement; portal is cooking! Updating the list again. Note this isn't a list of the best overall players, it's a list of the players I think Baylor may be interested in pursuing, heavily weighted towards their talent, our needs (size), and their years remaining (Soph and Jr more valuable than Sr). It's only the opinion of a moron with a PC who has no inside knowledge:

HOME RUN TIER (i.e. give us the Oregon State frontcourt) - THEY COULD MAKE US ELITE:
1) Kiki Iriafen - 6'3" Forward, Stanford, will be Sr next year (Do not contact?)
2) Raegan Beers - 6'4" Post, Oregon State, will be Jr next year. (Do not contact?)
3) Timea Gardiner - 6'3" Forward, Oregon State, will be Jr next year.

VERY, VERY GOOD TIER - THEY WOULD MAKE US MUCH BETTER:
4) Janiah Barker - 6'4" Forward, Texas A&M, will be Jr next year (Do not contact?)
5) Aaronette Vonleh - 6'3" Post, Colorado, will be Sr next year.
6) Saylor Poffenbarger - 6'2" G/F, UConn/Arkansas, will be Jr next year.
7) Grace VanSlooten - 6'3" Forward, Oregon, will be Jr next year. (committed to Michigan St)
8) Ajae Petty - 6'3" Post, Kentucky, will be Sr. (committed to Ohio St)
9) Alyssa Latham - 6'2" Forward, Syracuse, will be Soph.
10) Liza Karlen - 6'2" Forward, Marquette, will be Sr.
11) Deyona Gaston - 6'2" Forward, Texas, will be Sr.

INTERESTING, AND MAYBE THEY'LL BE VERY GOOD, BUT THERE ARE QUESTION MARKS TIER:
12) Nat Marshall - 6'5" Post, Notre Dame, will be Sr. (why was she a reserve with ND, is she fully healthy after injuries)
13) Temira Poindexter - 6'1" Forward, Tulsa, will be Sr. (can she compete at higher level of competition, can she share the ball without needing to be volume scorer)
14) Jordan Obi - 6'1" Wing, Penn, will be Sr.
15) Elle Evans - 6'3" Forward, North Dakota St, will be Jr (can she compete at higher level of competition, is she strong enough to rebound against bigger and stronger bodies)
16) Khadiya Faye - 6'4" Post, Texas, will be Sr. (is she mobile and skiilled enough to fit into Collen's desired style of play)

GUARDS AND SMALLER WINGS - GREAT PLAYERS, BUT NOT OUR BIGGEST NEED:
17) Donovyn Hunter - 6'0" Guard, Oregon State, will be Soph (this is a Unicorn, based on talent and youth).
18) RIley Nelson - 6'1" Guard, Maryland, will be Soph. (also a Unicorn, based on talent and youth).
19) Laila Phelia - 6'0" Guard, Michigan, will be Sr.
20) Chance Grey - 5'9" Guard, Oregon, will be Jr. (committed to Ohio St)
21) Ruby Whitehorn - 5'11" Guard, Clemson, will be Jr.
22) Kaitlyn Chen - 5'9" Guard, Princeton, will be Sr.
23) Liatu King - 6'0" Forward, Pitt, will be Sr.
24) Deja Kelly - 5'8" Guard, North Carolina, will be Sr.
25) Lucy Olsen - 5'9" Guard, Villanova, will be Sr.
26) Leilani Kapinus - 5'10" Guard, Penn State, will be Sr.
Brusinbear2001
love this post a lot!!!
BearTiger
Thank you, PolarBear. This is great stuff. I can just look at everything in one place. Will you keep track and update on regular basis? I am lazy.
Polarbear
I'm lazy too. I promise nothing. This leaves the chance for overperformance.
Gametime
Even in blowouts Letty got no PT.

Came in and played well against Gusters.

Don't blame her at all, looks like Coach has issues with posts. Look at her time here. Lety was the only real post recruit. Now we have zero posts.
Gametime
I really like Nat Marshall from Notre Dame. She runs the floor well. And a solid big. Not a star. But, would get tons of pt here. Wasn't getting that ND with Wesbeld and the 6'5 top freshman coming in.
Polarbear
Darn it, somehow I missed Cameron Williams from Michigan. Didn't see her on any lists. She's a 6'2" Forward, will be Sr, didn't start but was in their rotation. She'd probably slot in between Liza Karlen and Deyona Gaston on my list. Note Alyssa Latham is higher only because she's a Soph.

FYI, if you watch YouTube videos on some of these girls (Williams, Marshall, and Karlen in particular) you'll be struck by their maturity and poise, and by how much respect they get from their coaches and teammates. They'd be a huge boost to the culture of any program.

I gotta discuss compensation at my next performance review with Brian Ethridge. He's gotta pay me more if I'm expected to make error free posts.
ScottyB_The_Baylor_King
Nicki Collen is following Aarontte Vonleh on Instagram.
Polarbear
I got Vonleh in at #5, between Barker and Poffenbarger.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.