NCAA abolishes transfer rules

2,309 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by BearTiger
BUVA
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.si.com/college/gonzaga/basketball/ncaa-athletes-will-be-allowed-to-transfer-an-unlimited-number-of-times-without-penalty

Does this mean Edwards might be able to return since she was forced to sit for a year because her KY coach was uncooperative?
ScottS
BUVA said:

https://www.si.com/college/gonzaga/basketball/ncaa-athletes-will-be-allowed-to-transfer-an-unlimited-number-of-times-without-penalty

Does this mean Edwards might be able to return since she was forced to sit for a year because her KY coach was uncooperative?

Hopefully
ScottyB_The_Baylor_King
Technically yes. However I don't know if Dre wants to come back to play in college.
BearTiger
KY coach was not uncooperative, contrary what Baylor fans believe. Edwards knew before she transferred to Baylor that she would have to sit out 5th year at Baylor, because after 4th year at KY she did not graduate and it would be her 2nd transfer. If she is allowed to play another year at Baylor, her playing career would be 7 years (2018-2025).
12au
I doubt that. Dre surely must have lost amateur eligibility by being in WNBA draft pool?
blackie
BearTiger said:

KY coach was not uncooperative, contrary what Baylor fans believe. Edwards knew before she transferred to Baylor that she would have to sit out 5th year at Baylor, because after 4th year at KY she did not graduate and it would be her 2nd transfer. If she is allowed to play another year at Baylor, her playing career would be 7 years (2018-2025).
Don' t know whether uncooperative or not, but it is my understanding the the coach of the team the player is departing from does have the option to give a full release. Some coaches do and others don't and probably some who are inconsistent. We don't know what she was told or what might have been implied or just her misunderstanding what she had been told. If you were in the room perhaps you know, but I suspect, you, like the rest of us, were not.

And yes, I suspect being in the draft pool disqualifies you from further college eligibility. But, every other NCAA rule is being turned on its head, so who knows.
Dcheetah
Not true. Nicki even referred to that in a presser towards the end of the regular season. Nicki clearly said coaches fill that specific paperwork regularly. It is coaches choice whether or not to do it. Yes, KY coach did tell Dre she wouldn't sign the paperwork but both Dre and Nicki strongly intimated she could.
BearTiger
I'm going by what KY coach said in a press conference, an interview and several articles. She wanted to clear up what happened and defended her decision not to sign off. Didn't make this up. Whether KY coach is telling the truth or not is another conversation.
Bear3
Yes. The Kentucky coach definitely could have signed paper. Other players had more than one transfer and played. LSU was Alexis Morris's 4th school and I don't recall her sitting out a season.
BUVA
Sedona Prince got a waiver to play another year, which will be her 7th. Not sure if she's ever graduated.
Dcheetah
I know what the Ky coach said. She said that after all her bad press for not signing. I also know what Dre and Nicki said afteerwards and I go by that as well as multiple examples of coaches agreeing to same paperwork as posted here.
BUatbirth
BearTiger said:

I'm going by what KY coach said in a press conference, an interview and several articles. She wanted to clear up what happened and defended her decision not to sign off. Didn't make this up. Whether KY coach is telling the truth or not is another conversation.
The BAYLOR coach said otherwise…I'm going with that. Within the KY coaches right to do…and also a vindictive move to do it.
HoustonBear15
BearTiger said:

"and defended her decision not to sign off"

So you agree? She could've signed off
BearTiger
No, of course I didn't like the decision. I put the info out there based on what was said by the KY coach so people can see both sides, both KY and Baylor, so we can make our own judgments based on as much info at hand. It was reported Edwards got in trouble 2X and suspended 2X. I don't know if those 2 incidents played a role in the KY coach decision. None of us will really know what went into the KY coach decision. I'm glad Edwards got the chance to play last season, she made a difference for our team.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.