Caitlin Clark left off Olympic Team

5,106 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by bawitdaball
Tempus Edax Rerum
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I thought the goal was to win the Gold Medal and have your best 12 players on the team. The hand wringing of this decision just seems stupid to me. She isn't better than anyone on the team.
IowaBear
She isn't better than 60 year Taurasi ?? Gimme a break.
drahthaar
It appears that the selection committee woked up.
I don't know that Clark should have "made" the team, but I'd bet some $$ that some others got shafted for a 42 year-old player. This non-selection was just more of the Establishment's initiation of an upstart newbie.
BaylorBears_254
IowaBear said:

She isn't better than 60 year Taurasi ?? Gimme a break.

Even if you take Taurasi off, Clark still doesn't get the nod in my opinion.

If the goal is to send the BEST players, Arike is another guard that would go before her, as well as a few others

She'll have her shot soon.
IowaBear
You could say the same of Griner… that's going to ruffle feathers here but she's not one of the best 12 and she' got a nod
fredbear
If you are selecting best players at this point in time, neither "has been" Taurasi nor "not yet" Clark would have been selected. In the past, however, the "old hens" have kept their seats despite lacking ability and a future, potential hatchling has been selected despite not yet being ready. I would simply pick best players.
bawitdaball
Sabrina and Plum are both making their first Olympics. Clark has to shoe up her defense. She also didn't go to the out. Diana T needs to retire. And Griner is likely the best true poet with height, which is needed for international play. Clark will get her chance. But she's played like 12 games professionally.

Also note that this is the same committee that left Candice Parker off a few years ago when she was quite obviously the best player in the league.
pwactwac
So the selection committee is a political beast often filled with "drama." Sometimes there is just no rhyme or reason to who is on or off. 42yo DT? She is just favored. Reminds me of '07 in the lead up to '08. Becky Hammon wasnt even invited to camp as one of the original 23. Of course she was only league MVP runner-up, first team all-wnba and led the league in assists. Becky wasnt favored. Hence why in early '08 she made the move to be on the Russian team.
BaylorBears_254
IowaBear said:

You could say the same of Griner… that's going to ruffle feathers here but she's not one of the best 12 and she' got a nod

Not exactly, size is needed and there aren't many dominant 6'8 players. When healthy, she's Top 3 bigs in the league and this isn't even up for true discussion since there isn't many.
IowaBear
Griner is farrrrr from dominant at this stage of her career. It's a homer thing if anyone's thinking that's the case. She's tall sure, dominant? Not anymore. Stewart, Jones, Hamby, to name a few are better bigs at this point
ZachTay
IowaBear said:

Griner is farrrrr from dominant at this stage of her career. It's a homer thing if anyone's thinking that's the case. She's tall sure, dominant? Not anymore. Stewart, Jones, Hamby, to name a few are better bigs at this point
Doesn't Griner also represent as the only, convicted, international drug smuggler on the team?
BaylorBears_254
IowaBear said:

Griner for sure has something left in the tank, the injury for sire set her back.

As i said, we're going to need her height and ability to just be a force on the defensive end.

I still think at the big position, she's valuable and fits alongside the other 6'4-6'5 posts that made it.

All in all, I think they did right by the roster.
fredbear
Griner offers a combo that no one else, and i mean no one else offers. Surely everyone can see that. In fact, the team needs more size. There is no true back up for her on the team.
IowaBear
You think a team that has Stewart and Wilson needs Griner? We're really reaching here. I don't watch the WBB Olympics but I imagine USA will sleep walk to a gold and would do so rather easily without BG as well. Doubt she's this missing link everyone seems to think she is If your referencing her sheer size than sure I guess. But the discussion was the best 12 players. She isn't one. Nor is DT. And no I'm not saying Clark is either.
Cp2310
It's hard to make a point when you admit to everyone that you don't watch women's Olympic basketball. Lol. The Olympic team is just that it's a team. You need guards, forwards and posts. Within those 3 positions You need big time scorers and lockdown defenders for each position. And on top of all that you need straight alpha dog leaders for a team with 12 leaders. Clark is a good player and will probably make an Olympic team one day but when you want to win you should always choose talent over popularity.
IowaBear
Yeah because I'm sure everyone here invests their time watching WBB during the Olympics. Yall are acting like the countries the USA will face are juggernauts. They aren't. I guarantee you right now write it in stone the USA sleep walks to gold. The point I'm making and I stand by it. The USA team doesn't need Griner to win gold. It's silly to say otherwise. And let's just be honest here. This wouldn't even be a discussion if Griner played college ball anywhere but BU.
BUVA
I'm more surprised at the Arike snub; she's more than proven herself Olympic-worthy during her years in the W. She hasn't been on team that has attracted a lot of attention ( Dallas Wings) . Downside of Clark omission is that Olympic basketball game coverage just lost a whole lot of eyes.
IowaBear
This I agree with. Ariel deserved the nod over DT by a mile.
Cp2310
Do you think that maybe the women's Olympic team has been so dominant over the past decade because they put together great TEAMS. I will say it again. When you are trying to win it's always better to choose talent over popularity. And who says, we don't need arguably one of the best centers and rim protectors to ever play the game because we can win without her? That's just odd.
Cp2310
If the USA wins a gold medal in women's basketball but none of the Clark fans watch it. Does that mean it didn't happen?
IowaBear
Where did I say Clark deserved to be on the team??? Didn't say that. Reading comprehension is apparently difficult for you. I said she's better than DT and she is.
As far as popularity goes BUVA is correct that they're losing tons of viewers leaving her off. You act like her on the team means they're trying to lose. She's the single reason the WNBA is even a discussion. It was literally irrelevant until she got drafted. As far as Griner no one's changing my opinion so will agree to disagree. She doesn't deserve a roster spot nor is she needed to win gold. Wilson and Stewart are the 2 best players in the world. Pretty sure they can handle the inferior talent the other countries will throw at them.
Bone Squad
bawitdaball said:

And Griner is likely the best true poet with height, which is needed for international play.
Y'all are all missing the point. Unless you can show me a big with better poetry than Britney, then she's the obvious choice!
franke
BUVA said:

I'm more surprised at the Arike snub; she's more than proven herself Olympic-worthy during her years in the W. She hasn't been on team that has attracted a lot of attention ( Dallas Wings) . Downside of Clark omission is that Olympic basketball game coverage just lost a whole lot of eyes.
CP made the point above, but it's the Olympics. I am sure everyone will be watching anyway. Clark will 100% be there at the next Olympics, but the committee just felt like the old heads needed one last run (and the committee is 5 former players). And that is okay. Like IowaBear said, they don't have a ton of competition.
fredbear
If you think Griner is about sheer size, you have not watched her play. Period. She has been part of a ncaa championship, and wnba championship, and multiple Olympic gold metals. She is defensive monster, can dunk, shoot fade ways, hooks and is solid at the FT line. An International team paid her over a million to play. Not sure what part of the puzzle you can't put together. Griner is one of one. Not saying we can't win wout her, but I am saying she has no equal as a 6'9" athletic center. none.
IowaBear
If she's 1 of 1 than why the **** is Aja Wilson 5 times the player Griner ever was? Lay off the crack. Griners career numbers are mid for a player who's literally 4-5 inches taller than everyone else. I get being a BG fan. But there's a fine line between being a homer and living in reality. She's not 1 of 1 give me a ****ing break
fredbear
Iowabear you are often hot headed, shortsighted, and arrogant. You seem easily threatened by anyone who holds an opinion different than yours. You have an insatiable need to be right. You make no effort to see the insights others contribute to the conversation. And take offense and belittle the ideas of others who will not yield to your personal opinions. Obviously, the best minds in wbb chose Griner to be on the team once again. Perhaps you know more than Dawn S about how put together a wbb team. But, she does seem to win. Obviously you have some inner frustrations you release on fellow posters. I need a little space from your short fuse and will not dialogue for awhile if you are engaging. I wish you the best, I truly do, but you refuse to altar your demeaning nuisances.
IowaBear
Pot me kettle much Freddy? You're such a baby. I welcome open conversation. You're dramatic as can be, always have been. You called BG one of one. That's like comparing to MJ. That's laughable imo. I never once said you couldn't have that opinion.
By all means takes as many pot shots at me as you'd like. I'll dish em right back. The ironic thing is I'm the exact opposite of what you claim I am. Don't judge someone you've never met on a message board. I don't judge your whiny ass. Maybe I should
mcleod66
franke said:

BUVA said:

CP made the point above, but it's the Olympics. I am sure everyone will be watching anyway. Clark will 100% be there at the next Olympics, but the committee just felt like the old heads needed one last run (and the committee is 5 former players). And that is okay. Like IowaBear said, they don't have a ton of competition.
Wrong or right, I'm pretty sure many who would've watched if CC was on the team (regardless of her playing time) will now not be tuning in. The WNBA numbers have gone up tremendously this year BECAUSE of CC. They would've done the same for the Olympics. The "committee" has just lost a whole bunch of viewers and now have given a few different reasons for her not being chosen making their decision look more and more suspect. BAD marketing decision b/c would bet they would win the gold with CC on the team just as they most likely will without her.
IowaBear
This…. The WNBA finally has an elite marketing tool in Clark. They should be milking the heck out of that because she's the only reason WNBA viewership is up as well as attendance
BUatbirth
I'm no fan of CC…and I'll admit, I kinda enjoy seeing her get from W players what she has long dished out.
However, she is a PR gift to the W, and the women's game in general. To say that leaving her out isn't a wise business decision is a huge understatement.
BUVA
IowaBear said:

This…. The WNBA finally has an elite marketing tool in Clark. They should be milking the heck out of that because she's the only reason WNBA viewership is up as well as attendance

When two bottom-feeding teams (Fever & Mystics) draw 20,000 fans (average attendance 2K on a good day), and the cheers for the visiting team ( Fever) are as loud as the home team...I'd say there's interest.
IowaBear
That's my point. Look at the average attendance of games that don't include CC… compare those numbers to the games that do. Same goes for TV viewership. She is the reason for the new found interest in the WNBA whether anyone wants to admit that or not.
BearTiger
There are 2 players that are drawing a lot of attention in Wnba. Clark and Reese. Both are selling out at home and other teams' venues. Media has pushed the agenda of good vs evil. Bird vs Johnson. And fans are eating that up. Reality is they are actually friends and respect each other's skills. But media doesn't want to mention that, because it doesn't sell.
IowaBear
Disagree… Reese thinks she's playing a part in this WNBA growth if we want to call it that. She's not… and the numbers prove that. Reese played a home game a few weeks ago (can't remember who against) attendance was 8-9k. They played the Fever at home the following game and attendance doubled.
Reese is coping hard and quite frankly living in la la land when it comes to her contribution to the leagues growth
Bone Squad
I'm ok with the Olympics committee not basing their decisions what will draw the most views. It's not a circus. It's not a spectacle. It's a showcase of the highest excellence our country has to offer in the sport. That happens to not be Caitlin Clark yet, even though I have little doubt that is in her future.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.