NCAA "First Reveal"

12,663 Views | 98 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by whitetrash
ScottS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So why didn't he ignore the committee in his bracket?
Chibears2
Exactly, he had us as a one, then followed committee all while parroting how off base they were. WTHeck?!
bubbadog
57Bear said:

College: First Reveal, AP Top 25, Coaches, Massey, Sagarin

UCONN: 1,1,1,1,1

Mississippi ST: 2,3,3,3,3

Louisville: 3,2,2,4,5

Oregon: 4,7,6,6,4

Tennessee: 5,6,7,7,10

Notre Dame: 6,5,5,5,7

Texas: 7.9.9.8.8

South Carolina: 8,10,10,11,12

Baylor: 9,4,4,2,2

Ohio St.: 10,8,8,12,11

Florida St.: 11,12,11,10,9

UCLA: 12,13,13,9,6

Missouri: 13,11,12,14,26

TAMU: 14,16,17,25,34

Rutgers: 15,25,21,24,25

Georgia: 16,26,24,13,29

Baylor is the only team until you get to the bottom of the list where there is any real inconsistency in the voting. Two #2 votes offset by the East German judge who gave us a 9.

Whatever they may think of our schedule now, it will be OK by tournament time. Based on the current top 25, we'll play 8 games against ranked opponents in the Big XII. None of UConn's conference opponents are ranked. That's why they're going to play South Carolina and Louisville in the middle of their conference schedule. I take nothing away from them; they will play the toughest they can get. But our SOS will balance out. And it's not our fault that two of our opponents -- Kentucky and Stanford -- are uncharacteristically out of the top 25 this year.
"Free your ass and your mind will follow." -- George Clinton
57Bear
Karen had the UT team up for the UCONN game in Austin and will have them up for the BU in Austin. Comparing those two games may be interesting.
bubbadog
57Bear said:

Karen had the UT team up for the UCONN game in Austin and will have them up for the BU in Austin. Comparing those two games may be interesting.

Yes, she will. The game down there last year was a war, maybe the Lady Bears' guttiest performance of the season, and I think this one will be even more intense than that.
Jacques Strap
My memory is fuzzy, but didn't CKM's first national title team get a 3 seed?
Chibears2
We were a 2 seed in '05. Beat three #1sNorth Carolina (the 1 in our bracket), LSU (the #1 #1 that year) and MSU, who beat Tennessee in the semi, to meet up with us in final game.
ScottS
Why are there German judges?
bubbadog
ScottS said:

Cultural reference to biased judging in the Olympics. Maybe you're too young to remember when East Germany competed separately.
ScottS
time to redo their bs first reveal.
ScottS
bubbadog said:

ScottS said:

Cultural reference to biased judging in the Olympics. Maybe you're too young to remember when East Germany competed separately.
Oh I remember, just joking around. At least this is basketball and not football where everyone gets their shot.
slimecap
ScottS said:

time to redo their bs first reveal
January 18, 2018

1st reveal
JAN 18
Halftime Tennessee @ Notre Dame ESPN 7 p.m. ET

2nd reveal
FEB 01
Halftime UConn @ South Carolina ESPN 7 p.m. ET

3rd reveal
FEB 19
ESPN2's Big Monday / Play4Kay tripleheader. Announcement time TBA.
Florida State @ Duke ESPN 6 p.m. ET
Baylor @ Texas ESPN 8 p.m. ET
UCLA @ Oregon ESPN 10 p.m. ET

- NCAA website
fubar
Jacques Strap said:

My memory is fuzzy, but didn't CKM's first national title team get a 3 seed?
We were a #2 seed that year.

edit: Chibears beat me to it, sorry for the redundant post.
Gunter gleiben glauchen globen
beardoc
Pardon my ignorance, but are we assured of hosting first round games? If not, when do we find out?
bearbone11
The top 16 teams automatically host. We would have to lose at least 5 games to fall that low, so we are essentially assured of hosting.
ScottS
Doug said:

BUletters said:

You can call this meaning less but it shows an early bias by the selection committee. They are looking real close at our schedule but probably not considering at all the circumstances of our loss at UCLA.
I don't like it but Kim might use it for motivation.
It's not a bias. It's actually correct. I totally support Kim and her program, but if you are going to be respected as a top tier program, you have to play the schedule that merits it.
We'll move up the ladder, but the low current rankings are "schedule deserved".
I'm going to disagree a little. When you only use SOS and not how well you played, you get what we have.
greggor25
We will be a 1 or 2 end of the year. All we need to do is finish the season strong. Quit worrying about seeding at this point.
blackie
ScottS said:

Doug said:

BUletters said:

You can call this meaning less but it shows an early bias by the selection committee. They are looking real close at our schedule but probably not considering at all the circumstances of our loss at UCLA.
I don't like it but Kim might use it for motivation.
It's not a bias. It's actually correct. I totally support Kim and her program, but if you are going to be respected as a top tier program, you have to play the schedule that merits it.
We'll move up the ladder, but the low current rankings are "schedule deserved".
I'm going to disagree a little. When you only use SOS and not how well you played, you get what we have.
The CFP committee mentality hasn't yet gotten to the WBB people (or perhaps it has....see last sentence below) The CFP always resorts to the "eye test" to overrule everything else they deem as more important if that is what it takes to get their anointed ones into the top four spots......or perhaps the WBB people just don't want to use it when it hurts their anointed ones.
BFWorldwide
Reality of the situation:

Baylor is being hurt by the NCAA's archaic RPI methodology.

Sagarin has Baylor at #2. Massey has Baylor at #2. NCAA has Baylor at #10.

Fortunately, Baylor's SOS will continue to climb in all three RPI calculations. Baylor's backloaded schedule will be a huge help. But the more that Stanford and UCLA keep winning in the Pac12, the more we benefit. Even Kentucky being bad in the SEC helps some [and they have numerous upcoming games against highly ranked teams which should help us].

Massey has our SOS currently at #11, Sagarin at #28. NCAA formula does not disclose SOS.

Those SOS numbers will improve substantially over the next few weeks.

Keep winning and the RPI millstone gets lifted off of our neck.

Scottdye
I would be completely fine with BU going in as a #2 seed. The #1 seed has not helped us at all in the past few years... ELITE EIGHT.. Maybe being a #2 seed will get us to the FINAL FOUR
fubar
The Second Reveal was earlier tonight, and BU moved up to #6. If they did this as an s-curve -- and WBB does not use that -- we'd be in a Regional with Louisville.

Lots of stuff to happen between now and March, of course, but three wins over ranked teams moved us up to about where I thought we'd be.
Gunter gleiben glauchen globen
bubbadog
No. 6 overall seems pretty fair right now. And our strength of schedule will improve as conference play continues.
ESPN's own bracketology had Baylor as a 3 seed, which was out of whack.
RealLarryDon
Only team we can't beat is Louisville. So as long as we are in a region sans Louisville, we are fine no matter what our seed. That includes UConn, who we would wax.
bearbone11
Really not sure how you make that conclusion. They played out of their minds against Notre Dame but they are certainly beatable.
bubbadog
RealLarryDon said:

Only team we can't beat is Louisville. So as long as we are in a region sans Louisville, we are fine no matter what our seed. That includes UConn, who we would wax.
I watched a good bit of UConn's waxing of South Carolina tonight. They put on a clinic and could have named the score. I flipped the channel when the lead got to 30.
MrGolfguy
RealLarryDon said:

Only team we can't beat is Louisville... That includes UConn, who we would wax.
Not sure how you arrived at the conclusion we would wax UConn.
slimecap
60 Stanford AP #24
57 Oregon State AP #16

Strength of Schedule assist for Baylor
Non-Conference opponent Stanford on the road defeats #16 Oregon State
Pale Rider
slimecap said:

60 Stanford AP #24
57 Oregon State AP #16

Excellent!
gone to Tickfaw
still feel sorry for the team that gets Baylor as a 2 seed in their region...
whitetrash
slimecap said:

60 Stanford AP #24
57 Oregon State AP #16

Stanford is in 2nd place in the Pac12, one game behind Oregon. They meet for the only time this season Sunday in Eugene.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.