Recruits

41,107 Views | 161 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by gone to Tickfaw
geewago
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We need to recruit some DUNKERS for Scott S and me.
BuinmyBlood
mimi25408 said:

Hannah Gusters has just been ruled ineligible to finish play at Irving Mcarthur this year. DEC ruled 7-0 vote that stated she transferred from Duncanville to Irving Mcarthur for athletic purposes.
Wouldn't surprise me in the least if the officials at University of Texas breeding ground Duncanville pushed this to keep Gusters from being eligible at Baylor friendly Irving MacArthur...
gone to Tickfaw
Collier might consider heading back to Storrs
CavalryRoadie
fujobear said:

Compared to Egbo, Collier appears timid on the court.
Malbec
mimi25408 said:

Hannah Gusters has just been ruled ineligible to finish play at Irving Mcarthur this year. DEC ruled 7-0 vote that stated she transferred from Duncanville to Irving Mcarthur for athletic purposes.
I get the need to police high school athletics to prevent active "recruiting" of players, and illegal incentives (jobs for mom and dad, cash, places to live, etc.), but to suggest that a family can't move into a district to advance their child's athletic aspirations is wrong. Families move into school districts specifically because of the schools. If they didn't, why would realtors put that in the listings for homes and bother to tell you how the schools are rated? Why would schools advertise their awards and rankings? Why would it be okay for a kid's family to choose to live in a certain school district because the kid is a math prodigy, or has special needs that the district fulfills? If a child has a chance to earn a college scholarship in a sport, and wants to learn and train under a great coach, why shouldn't the family have the right to move into that coach's area, as long as the school isn't offering any financial inducement?
geewago
Malbec said:

mimi25408 said:

I get the need to police high school athletics to prevent active "recruiting" of players, and illegal incentives (jobs for mom and dad, cash, places to live, etc.), but to suggest that a family can't move into a district to advance their child's athletic aspirations is wrong. Families move into school districts specifically because of the schools. If they didn't, why would realtors put that in the listings for homes and bother to tell you how the schools are rated? Why would schools advertise their awards and rankings? Why would it be okay for a kid's family to choose to live in a certain school district because the kid is a math prodigy, or has special needs that the district fulfills? If a child has a chance to earn a college scholarship in a sport, and wants to learn and train under a great coach, why shouldn't the family have the right to move into that coach's area, as long as the school isn't offering any financial inducement?
Politics and silly petty rules is just about to ruin all sports.
zt1014
95% of the top 100 recruits are already signed.
Eball
CavalryRoadie said:

fujobear said:

Compared to Egbo, Collier appears timid on the court.
I was not impressed after watching UT v WVU...now she is a Freshman and she is big and she seems to have some mobility but just not a threat right now.... no real low post moves and not quick enough to be effective on the perimeter like a Stewart...Queen is much better right now...Queen has a position and is getting better with her low post moves...
setshot
After a game two or three weeks back they brought Egbo out for an interview. She was one impressive young woman. Her maturity and good sense came through in high fashion. It would surprise me if she was not eminently coachable, the kind of player that Bill Brock can work wonders with.

I don't think that it is my imagination when I say that Queen has progressed admirably in the span of this season thus far. She has a turnaround bank shot that I did not see from her earlier, and she has become a shot blocker at the collegiate level (she was a fine shot blocker in high school) and does it without fouling much of the time.
Her athleticism is off the charts and she just might have the best basketball body on the team. She is efficient in movement as well as positioning herself for rebounds and subsequent put-backs.

She does not have ideal height for the position that she plays, but she has quick leaping ability that can get her up in the air, not once but twice, while her opponent is still gathering herself to leap. Quickness negates height to some extent and Egbo has that in quantity. In time she will learn to be a better free throw shooter, and then to be able to hit face-up shots out to eighteen feet. When that occurs and defenders have to come out to guard her, she will take them off the dribble.

I am bullish on Queen Egbo. If Hannah Gusters is a competitor, she could not do better than to commit to Baylor and understudy Queen Egbo, play along side her, and work against her in practice. She is bigger than Queen, and once she worked with and against her, she would learn a lot about how to use quickness and positioning in the deep paint. I would love to have Gusters at Baylor.
Eball
setshot said:

After a game two or three weeks back they brought Egbo out for an interview. She was one impressive young woman. Her maturity and good sense came through in high fashion. It would surprise me if she was not eminently coachable, the kind of player that Bill Brock can work wonders with.

I don't think that it is my imagination when I say that Queen has progressed admirably in the span of this season thus far. She has a turnaround bank shot that I did not see from her earlier, and she has become a shot blocker at the collegiate level (she was a fine shot blocker in high school) and does it without fouling much of the time.
Her athleticism is off the charts and she just might have the best basketball body on the team. She is efficient in movement as well as positioning herself for rebounds and subsequent put-backs.

She does not have ideal height for the position that she plays, but she has quick leaping ability that can get her up in the air, not once but twice, while her opponent is still gathering herself to leap. Quickness negates height to some extent and Egbo has that in quantity. In time she will learn to be a better free throw shooter, and then to be able to hit face-up shots out to eighteen feet. When that occurs and defenders have to come out to guard her, she will take them off the dribble.

I am bullish on Queen Egbo. If Hannah Gusters is a competitor, she could not do better than to commit to Baylor and understudy Queen Egbo, play along side her, and work against her in practice. She is bigger than Queen, and once she worked with and against her, she would learn a lot about how to use quickness and positioning in the deep paint. I would love to have Gusters at Baylor.
Awesome post Set...it is somewhat ironic to me that Collier was the choice for UT and Queen was the back up plan and to some degree for us as well, if I remember...I think a lot of folks wanted Queen and she is immensely talented but like you said 6' 3" is viewed differently today than 6' 5" in the college game for a low post game. From an athletic ability running jumping and strength I think Queen is superior to Collier but Collier was 2 inches taller and had a much more developed face up game not just a low post game. Of course by low post I mean in HS at 6'3" and athletic Queen could dominate. I think we saw in the all star game her ability to run the floor crash the boards and hit short range jump shops and finish underneath. Brock and the coaches have really helped her find her way....she was so rough in the first few games and now she is much more relaxed and taking and using what she does best in terms of offense .jumping and quickness when taking shots but not rushing for fear of getting stuffed. I think if Queen had gone to UT she is doomed to a lack of development as Collier is suffering from. Collier will be a good player I have no doubt but I don't see the needed quickness and speed to really play a wing or guard position...she could be a great stretch four if she could and would post smaller players and learn to pass from the high post. She could be a Cox type force but she is not as strong as Cox and don't know whether she will be as she matures.
Polarbear
Queen's game reminds me of David Robinson, with her body, and her running and leaping ability. Excited to watch her develop over next three years. Foundation is clearly there for her, with physical attributes, plus mature attitude. Three years of work in the weight room to develop her strength and explosiveness, three years of work on fundamentals and strategy with Coach Brock, three years of competing in practice against the likes of Kalani/Lauren/NaLyssa and whomever else is recruited in the future. Baylor and Queen seem to be a wonderful fit for each other. Happy she's in green and gold
BaylorBearWBBFan
I very well may have flat out missed this if it was already posted, but folks, 2019 may not be over yet.

Sara Bejedi, 5-5 PG (Finland): has narrowed her choices to Arizona State, Baylor, and Florida State and will make her decision "soon."
mimi25408

mimi25408
BaylorBearWBBFan
Maybe she can bring her Finnish teammate, Awak Kuier over with her. That girl is going to be good.
geewago
If she'll just look at the polls, the decision should be easy.

I see from the videos she can shoot threes. My God bring her on, we just lost a PG who could shoot threes. We need a replacement.
gone to Tickfaw
A recruit from Finland picks as finalist three schools in the sunny, balmy south.
GrizBear
mimi25408 said:

She can shoot ... but can she Finnish?
BaylorBearWBBFan
That was really, really good. I enjoyed that!
slimecap
4th and Inches
slimecap said:

POLL IMPLICATIONS

"Louisville and UConn will likely swap positions in the poll."

- Staff, Associated Press article posted on UConn WBB website, 31 Jan 2019

bit of disrespect to Oregon but if your only losses are to #1 and #2... and your Uconn- you stay in the top 5
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
Lone Star
fujobear said:

A recruit from Finland picks as finalist three schools in the sunny, balmy south.
I have seen the campus at ASU. It's massive and confusing. Like another city inside of a city, I think they have nearly 60,000 students on campus and nobody goes to the WBB games. Also, their coach likes to play a "platoon" style offense switching line ups every 5 mins.

I think once this fine young player sees the Baylor campus and all that we have to offer not only with WBB but, with her education, the choice will be simple.
CavalryRoadie
Both Florida State and Arizona State have two Europeans on their squads, with a Canadian (ASU) and Brazilian (FSU) thrown in for good measure.

I think Baylor may be the long-shot, here.
Bone Squad
GrizBear said:

mimi25408 said:

If she comes to Baylor, and we are playing for the last shot of the quarter, we will run a pick and roll play for her to get to the basket with a lay-up. We will call it the "Finnish finish."
slimecap
Gruvin said:

slimecap said:

POLL IMPLICATIONS

"Louisville and UConn will likely swap positions in the poll."

- Staff, Associated Press article posted on UConn WBB website, 31 Jan 2019

bit of disrespect to Oregon but if your only losses are to #1 and #2... and your Uconn- you stay in the top 5
OOPS That's what I get for posting at 3 am ! I have the post in it's correct thread at this link
3:21a, 2/1/19
Lone Star
CavalryRoadie said:

Both Florida State and Arizona State have two Europeans on their squads, with a Canadian (ASU) and Brazilian (FSU) thrown in for good measure.

I think Baylor may be the long-shot, here.
I am not sure how that makes a huge difference in recruiting. We had an Australian the last 4 years and she came here because she was a good player and she wanted to win, not because we had other Australians on the team.

Based on the apparent skill level of this gal and our current lack of depth at a true PG position, I hope she would look at us as being at the top of her list in terms of checking off all the boxes (playing time at her position, top ranked/winning program, and outstanding education with good reputation).
CavalryRoadie
I don't disagree with you. If she wants the best opportunity (of the three schools) for championship-level basketball, Baylor is an excellent choice (I might say, "obvious" choice, but the other two teams are pretty darn good, too).

I'm just thinking she may be inclined to go to a school that already has kids from a similar background, and/or are from her part of the world - particularly, if she has played against them with her National/Regional Team.
Heart
mimi25408 said:

mimi, thanks for letting us know. This makes me sad for Gusters, Hopefully she will turn it to inspiration when she gets to play.
Heart
BaylorBearWBBFan said:

I very well may have flat out missed this if it was already posted, but folks, 2019 may not be over yet.

Sara Bejedi, 5-5 PG (Finland): has narrowed her choices to Arizona State, Baylor, and Florida State and will make her decision "soon."
So excited to learn of this! All new to me. Hope Sara loves, loves Baylor
Texasjeremy
MULKEY"S RECENT RECRUITING CLASSES (ESPN RANKINGS)

5* (#11 Overall) - Jordyn Oliver (5-10, PG - Prosper, TX)

5* (#3 Overall) - Aquira DeCosta (6-2, W - Sacramento, CA)
5* (#7 Overall) - Queen Egbo (6-3, P - Houston, TX)
5* (#13 Overall) - NaLyssa Smith (6-2, F - Converse, TX)
5* (#20 Overall) - Honesty Scott-Grayson (5-10, PG - Upper Marlboro, MD)
5* (#29 Overall) - Caitlin Bickle (6-1, W - Cave Creek, AZ)

5* (#18 Overall) - Didi Richards (6-1, G - Houston, TX)
5* (#20 Overall) - Alexis Morris (5-6, PG - Beaumont, TX)
4* (#64 Overall) - Moon Ursin (5-7, PG - Destrehan, LA)
3* - Trinity Oliver (5-9, G - Euless, TX)

5* (#1 Overall) - Lauren Cox (6-4, F - Flower Mound, TX)
5* (#8 Overall) - Natalie Chou (6-1, G - Plano, TX)
5* (#18 Overall) - Juicy Landrum (5-10, PG - Waco, TX)

5* (#11 Overall) - Kalani Brown (6-5, P - Slidell, LA)
5* (#20 Overall) - Beatrice Mompremier (6-4, P - Miami, FL)
4* (#66 Overall) - Alexandria Gulley (5-10, PG - Dallas, TX)
4* (#87 Overall) - Justin Szczepanski-Beavers (6-3, P - Bradenton, FL)
3* (#100 Overall) - Alyssa Dry (5-9, G - Bradendon, FL)

5* (#41 Overall) - Dekeiya Cohen (6-1, W - Charleston, SC)
3* - Mikayla Buckner (6-3, P - Garland, TX)

5* (#19 Overall) - Isehia Small (6-0, W - Miami, FL)
4* (#31 Overall) - Imani Wright (5-11, G - Hooks, TX)
4* (#52 Overall) - Nina Davis (6-1, F - Memphis, TN)
4* (#82 Overall) - Breanna Hayden (5-9, W - Dallas, TX)
NR - Khadijiah Cave (6-4, F - Augusta, GA)

5* (#16 Overall) - Alexis Prince (6-2, W - Maitland, FL)
4* (#43 Overall) - Niya Johnson (5-7, PG - Gainesville, FL)
4* (#44 Overall) - Chardonae Fuqua (6-0, F - Birmingham, AL)
4* (#57 Overall) - Kristina Higgins (6-4, P - El Paso, TX)
4* - Destiny Brown (5-10, G - Monroeville, PA)

3* Sune Agbuke (6-4, F - San Antonio, TX)

5* (#3 Overall) - Odyssey Sims (5-8, PG - Irving, TX)
3* - Makenzie Robertson (5-8, G - Waco, TX)

5* (#1 Overall) - Brittney Griner (6-7, P - Houston, TX)
5* (#17 Overall) - Mariah Chandler (6-2, F - Atlanta, GA)
4* (#58 Overall) - Jordan Madden (6-0, W - Lepanto, AR)
4* (#64 Overall) - Shanay Washington (6-1, W - Del Valle, TX)
2* - Kimetria Hayden (5-11, G - Dallas, TX)
Eball
Kristy Wallace...was she considered a recruit?

We have had several recent transfers that panned out Chloe and Alexis Jones come to mind.

You hate to think that attrition occurs but it does...nothing new to our program or others.

That 09 class was special of course because of Griner but if not for injuries to Chandler and Washington those two ladies could have really added to the legacy...Madden and Hayden were always very athletic pieces to the puzzle...
EasyE
Eball said:

Kristy Wallace...was she considered a recruit?

We have had several recent transfers that panned out Chloe and Alexis Jones come to mind.

You hate to think that attrition occurs but it does...nothing new to our program or others.

That 09 class was special of course because of Griner but if not for injuries to Chandler and Washington those two ladies could have really added to the legacy...Madden and Hayden were always very athletic pieces to the puzzle...

And Pope from Rutgers.
geewago
I think the two best transfers we ever got were Destiny Williams and Bernice Mosby. Bernice practically saved our season after Sophia Young graduated. Without her we would have been a very weak team that year. If she could have played with Sophia in 06 I think another NC banner would be hanging. Maryland won it that year with a group of freshman that never got to the FF again.
Baylor Dad in Va.
Texasjeremy said:

MULKEY"S RECENT RECRUITING CLASSES (ESPN RANKINGS)

5* (#11 Overall) - Jordyn Oliver (5-10, PG - Prosper, TX)

5* (#3 Overall) - Aquira DeCosta (6-2, W - Sacramento, CA)
5* (#7 Overall) - Queen Egbo (6-3, P - Houston, TX)
5* (#13 Overall) - NaLyssa Smith (6-2, F - Converse, TX)
5* (#20 Overall) - Honesty Scott-Grayson (5-10, PG - Upper Marlboro, MD)
5* (#29 Overall) - Caitlin Bickle (6-1, W - Cave Creek, AZ)

5* (#18 Overall) - Didi Richards (6-1, G - Houston, TX)
5* (#20 Overall) - Alexis Morris (5-6, PG - Beaumont, TX)
4* (#64 Overall) - Moon Ursin (5-7, PG - Destrehan, LA)
3* - Trinity Oliver (5-9, G - Euless, TX)

5* (#1 Overall) - Lauren Cox (6-4, F - Flower Mound, TX)
5* (#8 Overall) - Natalie Chou (6-1, G - Plano, TX)
5* (#18 Overall) - Juicy Landrum (5-10, PG - Waco, TX)

5* (#11 Overall) - Kalani Brown (6-5, P - Slidell, LA)
5* (#20 Overall) - Beatrice Mompremier (6-4, P - Miami, FL)
4* (#66 Overall) - Alexandria Gulley (5-10, PG - Dallas, TX)
4* (#87 Overall) - Justin Szczepanski-Beavers (6-3, P - Bradenton, FL)
3* (#100 Overall) - Alyssa Dry (5-9, G - Bradendon, FL)

5* (#41 Overall) - Dekeiya Cohen (6-1, W - Charleston, SC)
3* - Mikayla Buckner (6-3, P - Garland, TX)

5* (#19 Overall) - Isehia Small (6-0, W - Miami, FL)
4* (#31 Overall) - Imani Wright (5-11, G - Hooks, TX)
4* (#52 Overall) - Nina Davis (6-1, F - Memphis, TN)
4* (#82 Overall) - Breanna Hayden (5-9, W - Dallas, TX)
NR - Khadijiah Cave (6-4, F - Augusta, GA)

5* (#16 Overall) - Alexis Prince (6-2, W - Maitland, FL)
4* (#43 Overall) - Niya Johnson (5-7, PG - Gainesville, FL)
4* (#44 Overall) - Chardonae Fuqua (6-0, F - Birmingham, AL)
4* (#57 Overall) - Kristina Higgins (6-4, P - El Paso, TX)
4* - Destiny Brown (5-10, G - Monroeville, PA)

3* Sune Agbuke (6-4, F - San Antonio, TX)

5* (#3 Overall) - Odyssey Sims (5-8, PG - Irving, TX)
3* - Makenzie Robertson (5-8, G - Waco, TX)

5* (#1 Overall) - Brittney Griner (6-7, P - Houston, TX)
5* (#17 Overall) - Mariah Chandler (6-2, F - Atlanta, GA)
4* (#58 Overall) - Jordan Madden (6-0, W - Lepanto, AR)
4* (#64 Overall) - Shanay Washington (6-1, W - Del Valle, TX)
2* - Kimetria Hayden (5-11, G - Dallas, TX)
Thank you Texasjeremy for all the time and effort that it took to put this together. This post highlights how the Baylor program has slowly changed from a "very good team" to be one of the elite teams of women's basketball. Because we have been the dominate team in the Big12 for the last 9 years (counting this year), and have consistently been a top 5 or better team nationally for quite a while, recruiting doors have opened to Kim that were not there in her early years of coaching at Baylor. The roster has more 5 five star recruits and McDonald's All Americans than ever before. Over the last 3 classes we are now recruiting only the very best recruits in the country.
Of course stars and rankings don't mean everything. Kim is a great judge of talent, and if she does take a non-5 star, or un-ranked, player I have every confidence in the world that she is getting a winner. She doesn't recruit them if she doesn't think they can contribute.
WasheFuzzy
GrizBear said:

mimi25408 said:

funny

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.