Recruits

41,096 Views | 161 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by gone to Tickfaw
WasheFuzzy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wow! This gal looks like a real baller. I hope she picks Baylor.
WasheFuzzy
Current rankings
Baylor - 1
ASU - 19
FSU - 21

The choice seems obvious
WasheFuzzy
I wonder what her definition of "soon" is?
Eball
One of the most often questioned strategy of CKM...by us the fans is her substitution patterns and usage of players/young ones in blow outs...

I hope everyone saw the Duke v UL men's game and the comeback by Duke...it was pretty improbable but it happened.

As much as we believe certain leads are safe or that we could just put back in the starters and pick up right where they left off when they were pulled as the lead has whittled down. It is not that certain.
mimi25408
Why is this in the recruit thread?
Eball
mimi25408 said:

Why is this in the recruit thread?
There was a post that showed how some of the classes had suffered some attrition...some speculate that younger players who don't get playing time might leave...while I appreciate the program and the future you have to balance that with winning this year. As much as we all want to see the Freshman get minutes sometimes the strategy to win now will dominate over grooming for future. I really did not want to start another thread and took a chance...sorry if it messed with your day...
WasheFuzzy
Eball said:

One of the most often questioned strategy of CKM...by us the fans is her substitution patterns and usage of players/young ones in blow outs...

I hope everyone saw the Duke v UL men's game and the comeback by Duke...it was pretty improbable but it happened.

As much as we believe certain leads are safe or that we could just put back in the starters and pick up right where they left off when they were pulled as the lead has whittled down. It is not that certain.
I'll trade an improbable comeback for playing time for the young players. By not giving the playing time when possible we are risking them transferring out of the program...players want to play.
Eball
WasheFuzzy said:

Eball said:

I'll trade an improbable comeback for playing time for the young players. By not giving the playing time when possible we are risking them transferring out of the program...players want to play.
I love you Washe...but you are wrong and those who agree with you are wrong...hah, how is that for taking a position!

You are not wrong about young players wanting to play and that some will transfer...it happens at all the top programs and we are a top program. Most of those who have transferred though in past have not been star players...Mompremier is about the best as far as former BU player as far as success she is having this year.

I think Chou will have some success as well at UCLA the next two years...

But everyone else other than Imani Wright who was a very good role player, really had little to no sustained success at any big time program. That I remember.

You play to win the games...and while development is always a secondary goal and number one in terms of program building year to year it is about winning that season.

Please understand I don't disagree with your statements per se I just disagree with the priorities. We just have to trust the coach on how she manages the games and doles out playing time. I would think if there was a young lady who Kim knew was a superstar right now she would be getting playing time. If not I think she will do everything she can to make them understand and see why she does things the way she does. If they leave they leave...not so sure in some cases Kim did not agree with some of the decisions to leave. Look at the other top programs and see how they utilize top recruits unless it is an unusual situation ...I don't care how good you are as a freshman there is a learning curve and most top programs have other talented kids who are older more mature and have already learned the lessons.
slimecap
Eball said:

Most of those who have transferred though in past have not been star players...Mompremier is about the best as far as former BU player as far as success she is having this year. I think Chou will have some success as well at UCLA the next two years...

But everyone else other than Imani Wright who was a very good role player, really had little to no sustained success at any big time program. That I remember.

Ieshia Small was named Sixth Player of the Year by the Big Ten Network

Hi EBall,
I wanted to give some recognition to Ieshia Small. I followed her story for years after her mother died and she was placed in foster care at 16. I always admired Ieshia's resilience in her life's journey.

In addition to the Sixth Player Award, Ieshia became a player-coach.

"Small throughout her career has volunteered for the Fellowship of Christian Athletes. She's now collecting used Maryland gear to donate to the foster home that took Small in after her mother died when she was 16."

Link to article about Ieshia Small's post-Baylor life
https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/terps/tracking-the-terps/bs-sp-maryland-women-ieshia-small-coach-club-20180314-story.html
Eball
slimecap said:

Eball said:

Most of those who have transferred though in past have not been star players...Mompremier is about the best as far as former BU player as far as success she is having this year. I think Chou will have some success as well at UCLA the next two years...

Ieshia Small was named Sixth Player of the Year by the Big Ten Network

Hi EBall,
I wanted to give some recognition to Ieshia Small. I followed her story for years after her mother died and she was placed in foster care at 16. I always admired Ieshia's resilience in her life's journey.

In addition to the Sixth Player Award, Ieshia became a player-coach.

"Small throughout her career has volunteered for the Fellowship of Christian Athletes. She's now collecting used Maryland gear to donate to the foster home that took Small in after her mother died when she was 16."

Link to article about Ieshia Small's post-Baylor life
https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/terps/tracking-the-terps/bs-sp-maryland-women-ieshia-small-coach-club-20180314-story.html

Great post thanks for the reminder...she was an outstanding kid...you hope that all these kids are successful both on and off the CRT but especially for them off the CRT. Playing a game at the level these kids play is rare and it gets harder as they transition from HS to College to perhaps a PRO league. Life is more...

setshot
Thanks for the update on Ieshia. She always impressed me as being a strong young woman, and while I regretted that she transferred from our program, I certainly understood it. She was physically very gifted, but arrived at Baylor without the skill set that would fit our program. I thought that at that time she was a player without an obvious position.

She had a very quick first step and could elevate impressively for her midrange shot, and she could attack the rim with some success when she made the right choice to do that. She was equipped to defend in the Mulkey style, but sometimes seemed to lose her focus. As a point guard, she seemed tentative and unsure of herself, and she lacked the shotmaking ability to flourish at the off guard position. All of this was subject to change if she stayed and put in the work, but there were better players ahead of her at that time, so I suspect her decision to leave and to go to a good program much nearer her home base did not come as a surprise.

I am delighted that Ieshia found success at Maryland, as I was when Imani Wright did very well at Florida State. Both of these young women were very fine recruits for this program and both seemed to represent themselves and the institution admirably in their time here. Imani was able to get major minutes with varied results, while Ieshia often struggled a bit in her more limited minutes.

We have had some good results from transfers into our program over the years, and sometimes it just works out better to start anew at another school, both for those who arrive and those who depart.

WasheFuzzy
Why is the story on Small in the recruiting thread? What does that have to do with future recruits? It's a great story but deserves its own thread.
WasheFuzzy
I watched some video of Andrews. Talk about the second coming of Odyssey Sims!
ScottS
WasheFuzzy said:

I watched some video of Andrews. Talk about the second coming of Odyssey Sims!

Do we have a chance at Andrews?
mimi25408
2019 5'5 of Sara Bejedi commits to Arizona state.
geewago
mimi25408 said:

She should feel right at home there. Arizona looks just like Finland.
WasheFuzzy
Baylor Dad in Va. said:

Texasjeremy said:

MULKEY"S RECENT RECRUITING CLASSES (ESPN RANKINGS)

5* (#11 Overall) - Jordyn Oliver (5-10, PG - Prosper, TX)

5* (#3 Overall) - Aquira DeCosta (6-2, W - Sacramento, CA)
5* (#7 Overall) - Queen Egbo (6-3, P - Houston, TX)
5* (#13 Overall) - NaLyssa Smith (6-2, F - Converse, TX)
5* (#20 Overall) - Honesty Scott-Grayson (5-10, PG - Upper Marlboro, MD)
5* (#29 Overall) - Caitlin Bickle (6-1, W - Cave Creek, AZ)

5* (#18 Overall) - Didi Richards (6-1, G - Houston, TX)
5* (#20 Overall) - Alexis Morris (5-6, PG - Beaumont, TX)
4* (#64 Overall) - Moon Ursin (5-7, PG - Destrehan, LA)
3* - Trinity Oliver (5-9, G - Euless, TX)

5* (#1 Overall) - Lauren Cox (6-4, F - Flower Mound, TX)
5* (#8 Overall) - Natalie Chou (6-1, G - Plano, TX)
5* (#18 Overall) - Juicy Landrum (5-10, PG - Waco, TX)

5* (#11 Overall) - Kalani Brown (6-5, P - Slidell, LA)
5* (#20 Overall) - Beatrice Mompremier (6-4, P - Miami, FL)
4* (#66 Overall) - Alexandria Gulley (5-10, PG - Dallas, TX)
4* (#87 Overall) - Justin Szczepanski-Beavers (6-3, P - Bradenton, FL)
3* (#100 Overall) - Alyssa Dry (5-9, G - Bradendon, FL)

5* (#41 Overall) - Dekeiya Cohen (6-1, W - Charleston, SC)
3* - Mikayla Buckner (6-3, P - Garland, TX)

5* (#19 Overall) - Isehia Small (6-0, W - Miami, FL)
4* (#31 Overall) - Imani Wright (5-11, G - Hooks, TX)
4* (#52 Overall) - Nina Davis (6-1, F - Memphis, TN)
4* (#82 Overall) - Breanna Hayden (5-9, W - Dallas, TX)
NR - Khadijiah Cave (6-4, F - Augusta, GA)

5* (#16 Overall) - Alexis Prince (6-2, W - Maitland, FL)
4* (#43 Overall) - Niya Johnson (5-7, PG - Gainesville, FL)
4* (#44 Overall) - Chardonae Fuqua (6-0, F - Birmingham, AL)
4* (#57 Overall) - Kristina Higgins (6-4, P - El Paso, TX)
4* - Destiny Brown (5-10, G - Monroeville, PA)

3* Sune Agbuke (6-4, F - San Antonio, TX)

5* (#3 Overall) - Odyssey Sims (5-8, PG - Irving, TX)
3* - Makenzie Robertson (5-8, G - Waco, TX)

5* (#1 Overall) - Brittney Griner (6-7, P - Houston, TX)
5* (#17 Overall) - Mariah Chandler (6-2, F - Atlanta, GA)
4* (#58 Overall) - Jordan Madden (6-0, W - Lepanto, AR)
4* (#64 Overall) - Shanay Washington (6-1, W - Del Valle, TX)
2* - Kimetria Hayden (5-11, G - Dallas, TX)
Thank you Texasjeremy for all the time and effort that it took to put this together. This post highlights how the Baylor program has slowly changed from a "very good team" to be one of the elite teams of women's basketball. Because we have been the dominate team in the Big12 for the last 9 years (counting this year), and have consistently been a top 5 or better team nationally for quite a while, recruiting doors have opened to Kim that were not there in her early years of coaching at Baylor. The roster has more 5 five star recruits and McDonald's All Americans than ever before. Over the last 3 classes we are now recruiting only the very best recruits in the country.
Of course stars and rankings don't mean everything. Kim is a great judge of talent, and if she does take a non-5 star, or un-ranked, player I have every confidence in the world that she is getting a winner. She doesn't recruit them if she doesn't think they can contribute.
We really need to hold onto that 2018 class. If all of those players hold the course and don't get discouraged with the lack of PT as freshmen they will all be valuable contributors toward a NC as a group.

Get out your shades because the future is bright!
slimecap

2020 HARMONI TURNER
5-8 PG
Legacy High School
Mansfield TX

Bear in AL
Texasjeremy said:

MULKEY"S RECENT RECRUITING CLASSES (ESPN RANKINGS)

5* (#11 Overall) - Jordyn Oliver (5-10, PG - Prosper, TX)

5* (#3 Overall) - Aquira DeCosta (6-2, W - Sacramento, CA)
5* (#7 Overall) - Queen Egbo (6-3, P - Houston, TX)
5* (#13 Overall) - NaLyssa Smith (6-2, F - Converse, TX)
5* (#20 Overall) - Honesty Scott-Grayson (5-10, PG - Upper Marlboro, MD)
5* (#29 Overall) - Caitlin Bickle (6-1, W - Cave Creek, AZ)

5* (#18 Overall) - Didi Richards (6-1, G - Houston, TX)
5* (#20 Overall) - Alexis Morris (5-6, PG - Beaumont, TX)
4* (#64 Overall) - Moon Ursin (5-7, PG - Destrehan, LA)
3* - Trinity Oliver (5-9, G - Euless, TX)

5* (#1 Overall) - Lauren Cox (6-4, F - Flower Mound, TX)
5* (#8 Overall) - Natalie Chou (6-1, G - Plano, TX)
5* (#18 Overall) - Juicy Landrum (5-10, PG - Waco, TX)

5* (#11 Overall) - Kalani Brown (6-5, P - Slidell, LA)
5* (#20 Overall) - Beatrice Mompremier (6-4, P - Miami, FL)
4* (#66 Overall) - Alexandria Gulley (5-10, PG - Dallas, TX)
4* (#87 Overall) - Justin Szczepanski-Beavers (6-3, P - Bradenton, FL)
3* (#100 Overall) - Alyssa Dry (5-9, G - Bradendon, FL)

5* (#41 Overall) - Dekeiya Cohen (6-1, W - Charleston, SC)
3* - Mikayla Buckner (6-3, P - Garland, TX)

5* (#19 Overall) - Isehia Small (6-0, W - Miami, FL)
4* (#31 Overall) - Imani Wright (5-11, G - Hooks, TX)
4* (#52 Overall) - Nina Davis (6-1, F - Memphis, TN)
4* (#82 Overall) - Breanna Hayden (5-9, W - Dallas, TX)
NR - Khadijiah Cave (6-4, F - Augusta, GA)

5* (#16 Overall) - Alexis Prince (6-2, W - Maitland, FL)
4* (#43 Overall) - Niya Johnson (5-7, PG - Gainesville, FL)
4* (#44 Overall) - Chardonae Fuqua (6-0, F - Birmingham, AL)
4* (#57 Overall) - Kristina Higgins (6-4, P - El Paso, TX)
4* - Destiny Brown (5-10, G - Monroeville, PA)

3* Sune Agbuke (6-4, F - San Antonio, TX)

5* (#3 Overall) - Odyssey Sims (5-8, PG - Irving, TX)
3* - Makenzie Robertson (5-8, G - Waco, TX)

5* (#1 Overall) - Brittney Griner (6-7, P - Houston, TX)
5* (#17 Overall) - Mariah Chandler (6-2, F - Atlanta, GA)
4* (#58 Overall) - Jordan Madden (6-0, W - Lepanto, AR)
4* (#64 Overall) - Shanay Washington (6-1, W - Del Valle, TX)
2* - Kimetria Hayden (5-11, G - Dallas, TX)
Thanks for putting this together. This reveals an extraordinary level of hard work, strategic-thinking, and relationship-building on behalf of the BU coaching and recruiting staff. The fact that this level of talent is drawn to Baylor year after year shows the respect that Kim Mulkey's program has garnered over the years.

It also shows what a skilled and technical coach KM is. She is able to take elite hs players and develop their talent into even greater skills and mindset. All you have to do is watch the two UT's (Texas and Tenn) to see what ineffective coaching can do with 5* players. Baylor has one of the greatest coaches in the history of WBB!
WasheFuzzy
mimi25408 said:

If we land Andrews that would have probably left Bejedi on the outside looking in.
cjon4442
I heard that Angel Reese is reopening her recruitment. I see there are a lot of the top teams in her previous final 8. I hope that we can get in the mix. She would be a great addition. She is a top 5 ranked player in

Dcheetah
Any recruits tonight to watch this beatdown of Texas?
Chibears2
Coach Messer called someone over to join her on the sideline after the game to get a hug. I THINK it was Jordyn Oliver, though.
bearbone11

Any ideas where they might be?
R11
geewago
Siberia ?
slimecap
bearbone11 said:

Possibly ... Cashmere, Washington

bearbone11
slimecap said:

bearbone11 said:

That's the conclusion I drew, since Hailey Van Lith had a playoff game this morning. I hadn't previously heard us connected to her.
R11
GrizBear
Hmm ... think I might have found it.

Hailey Van Lith
CASHMERE, WASHINGTON

62-41 (W) - Girls Varsity Basketball vs. Annie Wright

Played on 2/28/2019 9:00 AM
Cashmere - - - - 62
Annie Wright - - - - 41
The Cashmere varsity basketball team won Thursday's neutral playoff game against Annie Wright (Tacoma, WA) by a score of 62-41.
This game was part of the WIAA 2019 Girls Basketball Hardwood Classic - Class 1A tournament.
slimecap
bearbone11 said:

slimecap said:

That's the conclusion I drew, since Hailey Van Lith had a playoff game this morning. I hadn't previously heard us connected to her.

One year ago March 2, 2018
"The 1A quarterfinal nightcap on the girls court on Thursday had quite an audience.
Hall of Fame women's coach Kim Mulkey of the third-ranked Baylor Bears was joined by several assistants on the south end of the court to have a look at Cashmere sophomore Hailey Van Lith, considered one of the nation's top prospects for the Class of 2020.
The 5-foot-8 guard, who averages 32 points a game, netted 23 in a 45-35 win over Nooksack Valley. She added eight rebounds and six assists."

- Luke Thompson, Yakima Herald
slimecap
GrizBear said:

Hailey Van Lith
CASHMERE, WASHINGTON

Hi GrizBear, Great game find. Thanks!
Malbec
slimecap said:

GrizBear said:

Hailey Van Lith
CASHMERE, WASHINGTON

Hi GrizBear, Great game find. Thanks!
Looks like they had a live stream of the game. Maybe the next one will be available too.
setshot
Hailey Van Lith is much like Sabrina Ionescu at Oregon, only a better offensive player. I watched a video of her last season and for longtime Baylor fans she has reminds me of another player originally from the state of Washington, Baylor All American Sheila Lambert, except that Sheila's one offensive weakness was her lack of a credible three point shot, whereas Van Lith can shoot it with great effectiveness.

She is a point guard deluxe, and it appeared that she had some interest in Baylor when she surfaced in last year's Baylor recruiting conversation. It would be a bit of a coup if Mulkey can get a visit from her and make the pitch to her about joining up for the future run with this year's frosh group.

At this point Jordyn Oliver is our only recruit for 2019, but the 2020 class is thought to be a very strong one, with Sara Andrews and Hannah Guster heading the list of wants by our staff. It is a long way up to Washington, and I cannot imagine that four Baylor coaches would take that trip if they did not feel comfortable with the information about Hailey's interest in #1 Baylor. That ranking is enormously significant for recruiting purposes and the Lady Bear staff knows it and is trying to take full advantage of it.

This visit opens up possibilities as well as raising a few questions. Great for speculative purposes if for no other.

Incidentally, I thought that Van Lith compared very favorably to the high school video of Asia Durr when I saw her video, and that is high praise. One player of that quality makes for a great recruiting class, even if they took no one else. She was the highest rated point guard in her class last year. I think that she is this year, as well.
baylor1984
setshot said:

Hailey Van Lith is much like Sabrina Ionescu at Oregon, only a better offensive player. I watched a video of her last season and for longtime Baylor fans she has reminds me of another player originally from the state of Washington, Baylor All American Sheila Lambert, except that Sheila's one offensive weakness was her lack of a credible three point shot, whereas Van Lith can shoot it with great effectiveness.

She is a point guard deluxe, and it appeared that she had some interest in Baylor when she surfaced in last year's Baylor recruiting conversation. It would be a bit of a coup if Mulkey can get a visit from her and make the pitch to her about joining up for the future run with this year's frosh group.

At this point Jordyn Oliver is our only recruit for 2019, but the 2020 class is thought to be a very strong one, with Sara Andrews and Hannah Guster heading the list of wants by our staff. It is a long way up to Washington, and I cannot imagine that four Baylor coaches would take that trip if they did not feel comfortable with the information about Hailey's interest in #1 Baylor. That ranking is enormously significant for recruiting purposes and the Lady Bear staff knows it and is trying to take full advantage of it.

This visit opens up possibilities as well as raising a few questions. Great for speculative purposes if for no other.

Incidentally, I thought that Van Lith compared very favorably to the high school video of Asia Durr when I saw her video, and that is high praise. One player of that quality makes for a great recruiting class, even if they took no one else. She was the highest rated point guard in her class last year. I think that she is this year, as well.
Question for you. Do you take Van Lith or Andrews ? And what about Andrews and Gusters if they want to play together ? I can't see Baylor taking 2 PG's of this quality in one class and I don't see either one of them wanting to go to the same school.
Jacques Strap
She looks like a model, model point guard.
DFW Bill
First one to commit.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.