Let's hear it for Queen Egbo

33,214 Views | 139 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Chibears2
Baylor Dad in Va.
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Another potential star in the making for us.

Freshman Queen Egbo comes off the bench today and makes 5 of her first 6 shots and puts up some terrific numbers - 19 points, 10 rebounds, 2 steals, and a block all in 24 minutes of playing time. I am very impressed with how she is progressing. Big improvement already from her very first games in the early season.

Add in the 14 points that we got from our emerging star LaNyssa Smith and the two players combined for 33 points -- equaling the output of our entire starting 5. !

These freshmen (and probably others to come) are going to provide valuable contributions to our team as we progress deeper and deeper into conference play, and then on to the NC finals.
LIB,MR BEARS
I like the quality minutes Kim gives them. Hopefully that will come in very handy in March... and maybe the first part of April.
BUVA
I also like that CKM sat Lauren and Kalani when it was obvious the game was in hand, though they each had fouls. Especially since they both played major minutes in the UConn game, 40 and 36, respectively. Loved seeing Moon and the freshman getting minutes in conference play, though they let TT get too many trash points.
GarlandBear84
Queen came in for the second quarter and quickly scored eight points in the first six minutes and could've had more, but missed a chippie and a FT. She has an athletic body for a post and huge potential.
GoldenBear
Baylor Dad in Va. said:

Another potential star in the making for us.

Freshman Queen Egbo comes off the bench today and makes 5 of her first 6 shots and puts up some terrific numbers - 19 points, 10 rebounds, 2 steals, and a block all in 24 minutes of playing time. I am very impressed with how she is progressing. Big improvement already from her very first games in the early season.

Add in the 14 points that we got from our emerging star LaNyssa Smith and the two players combined for 33 points -- equaling the output of our entire starting 5. !

These freshmen (and probably others to come) are going to provide valuable contributions to our team as we progress deeper and deeper into conference play, and then on to the NC finals.
KM has been very positive about Egbo's developing as a steady player and the situation presented itself to give her the go head to take it and run with it. She just needs to improve her conditioning.
Onward Go
It's also notable that Egbo looks light years ahead of UT's Charli Collier in development and poise. Considering that UT turned down Egbo for the higher-ranked Collier's commitment, it speaks volumes for the coaching of CKM and especially Bill Brock.

Hannah Gusters take notice -- BU is where amazing WBB post players are created and shine!
Chibears2
A point which Kim drove home in her post game interview! These freshmen just need to remember, the time to worry is when the coach STOPS coaching them. Being uncomfortable is just part of growth.
Johnny Bear
Great game by Egbo. I hope we can by and large keep this freshman class intact going forward - there is just so much talent in this group.
Chibears2
Between Egbo and Smith, there's a lot of athleticism that can come off the bench. Got to be discouraging for the opponent's bigs to bang with Brown and Cox and then have to chase Egbo and Smith.
GarlandBear84
I watched the game and have to wonder if Egbo and Smith played more minutes than Brown and Cox because they played better than them as indicated by the box score or because of other reasons such as to give them rest.
LIB,MR BEARS
Rest for the veterans AND development for the newbies
ChapBear
Just wondering if Queen got so much playing time (24 minutes) because Kalani (10 minutes) has had some really concerning shooting problems down low this year including in the Tech game. She has missed chippy after chippy. During the Connecticut game Smith was always there for the put back when Kalani would overshot the basket, but Kalani seems to be really struggling making shots in her sweet spot down low this year. She is a lot better from distance however. I hope she can refocus and soften her shot so she gets more shooters roll more often while in the paint.

Could not have beaten Connecticut without her great effort. That is for sure.
zt1014
Kalani got in foul trouble, and Queen came in was doing well. 3rd half got another foul and sat for the rest of the game. At this point they had a good lead and Queen was having a great game. It was truly rest, development, and Queen had the hot hand.
Johnny Bear
LIB,MR BEARS said:

Rest for the veterans AND development for the newbies
I think this is largely what it was. Don't forget that Brown played something like 36 or 37 minutes against UConn and Cox went the full 40 minutes just 2 1/2 days prior to this game. It's a long season and conference is just starting, so Mulk was wise to take advantage of a chance to rest her 2 prize "bigs" and just as importantly give a couple of talented freshmen some valuable minutes.
Bone Squad
Queen's performance in Lubbock was in another category than every game she had played for us up to that point. She looked like a player who could start at most Big XII programs, and you could just see down the line about 2 years how the rest of the teams are trying to figure out what to do about Queen when they play Baylor.

I had one criticism, and that was that I would like to see better decision-making on when to shoot. It seemed like if she got the ball, the chances were better than 90% she was going to shoot it, including with some forced wild shots I did not think were necessary. If you don't have a good look, keep the ball moving, and trust that the team will get it back to you again. She's a freshman, of course, and she'll master that in time.
dstaylor57
The more time the freshmen get the more rested our starters will be at the end of the season, and the deeper and more experienced our bench gets.
Chibears2
Agree with your post. I would imagine, for these top 100 type players, shooting/scoring comes much more easily than defense/assisting. When Queen adds the understanding of how the offense is set up to negate the actions the defense is taking to stop the initial pass into her (passing out to wing/hitting diving player/dropping off to other post underneath...), and gains the confidence to make those passes, her offensive game will be much more complete.
slimecap

QUEEN EGBO

Baylor #25
WasheFuzzy
I remember that when I was a very early Queen fan and was the first to suggest that she was a priority in that class, and someone said that she was not Baylor quality. WRONG! Queen will be a star at Baylor!
WasheFuzzy
Bone Squad said:

Queen's performance in Lubbock was in another category than every game she had played for us up to that point. She looked like a player who could start at most Big XII programs, and you could just see down the line about 2 years how the rest of the teams are trying to figure out what to do about Queen when they play Baylor.

I had one criticism, and that was that I would like to see better decision-making on when to shoot. It seemed like if she got the ball, the chances were better than 90% she was going to shoot it, including with some forced wild shots I did not think were necessary. If you don't have a good look, keep the ball moving, and trust that the team will get it back to you again. She's a freshman, of course, and she'll master that in time.
That is a freshman think...giver her time. She has only played half a season with limited minutes.
GrizBear
WasheFuzzy said:

I remember that when I was a very early Queen fan and was the first to suggest that she was a priority in that class, and someone said that she was not Baylor quality. WRONG! Queen will be a star at Baylor!
I remember this. Fuzzy was a big Queen fan early on.
Bone Squad
See if you can pick out Fuzzy in this picture.

slimecap

Queen Egbo & Ja'Mee Asberry #21
slimecap
slimecap

QUEEN EGBO

"I thought Queen, speaking of her, she was our spark plug in the first half. Please acknowledge that kid because she just has unbelievable athleticism and she gave us a spark in the first half. She did fine in the second half too, but everybody else did fine. Queen was really our spark in the first half."

- Kim Mulkey, Baylor WBB website, 2 Mar 2019

uglytobone
Queen is an awesome athlete. Looking forward to having her 3 more years.
setshot
She has outstanding athleticism and is very mature. Coming in I thought that her offensive game was a little raw, and I wondered about her defense against taller, but perhaps less athletic players - could she learn to guard them without fouling?

Her offensive game was better than I thought it to be, though she missed more shots under the basket than I expected, given her strength and athleticism. What impressed me more than anything else was her ability to run the floor and the unexpected (to me, at least) court vision. Her passing has improved to match that vision on the floor and she has added turnaround shots to her offensive arsenal. In an interview I listened to, her maturity and humble acknowledgement of what she needed to do to be the outstanding player she wanted to be was striking and memorable.

She was a good shot blocker in high school, but it remained to be seen how that would translate to Division I basketball. She has answered that question, as well as whether or not she could stay on the floor in lieu of fouling. She started out much as all freshmen do, fouling unproductively and having to go to the bench, but as the season has progressed, so has she. She makes her fouls count, now, and she has learned to block shots without making contact. What she lacks in ideal height for her position, she makes up with quickness, strength, and a developing understanding of her space on the floor.

There is a good reason that interior players do well to come to Baylor if they are serious about developing their game. The staff does an outstanding job with that aspect, and more to the point, there is almost always solid to outstanding talent ahead of them to mentor and help them hone their skills, even if only by playing against them in practice and watching them in games. There is no substitute for that, and the Lady Bears usually have that advantage. Queen Egbo will do the same thing for future signees that is being done for her, and she will be excellent at that, too.
slimecap

slimecap

Left Queen Egbo

July 9, 2019
Excerpts

A year ago, Queen Egbo had just completed her senior year of high school and earned a spot on the USA Basketball U18 Women's National Team when opportunities arose elsewhere that she couldn't turn down. So, instead of heading to Mexico for the 2018 FIBA Americas U18 Championship, Egbo joined her new college teammates for an international exhibition trip to Italy.

"I just felt like being with my team and bonding with them was, at the time, more of a priority, because I really wanted to get to know them," Egbo said. "That was a once in a four-year trip."

This summer, Egbo has another chance to travel with USA Basketball. She was selected to the USA team that will play in the FIBA U19 World Cup in Bangkok, Thailand, from July 20-28. She reported to training camp in Colorado Springs CO on July 5. On July 11, she heads to Tokyo for a week of practices and scrimmages before the U19 World Cup.

"Coming back this year and being a part of the team is something that I would definitely like to say I've done," Egbo said. "Not many athletes get to say they've played on a USA team."

Egbo didn't have significant injuries to contend with during her first season at Baylor. She averaged 5.5 points and 4.3 rebounds in 10.4 minutes while appearing in 34 of 38 games as Baylor won this year's national championship.

"It was really exciting," Egbo said of being on a team that won a national title. "It was definitely a good memory with our team."

One thing Egbo noticed during the U19 trials was the number of high school players trying to make a U19 team. Of the 12 players to make the USA U19 World Cup team, 7 are either in high school or just graduated. So, players such as Egbo will be thrust into a leadership role, while also remembering where they were as their college careers began. Egbo said she chatted with several of the high school players during the trials about her experience, not only with USA Basketball, but about the rigors of college.

"It was honestly good, because they are still in high school and just seeing the talent coming now is a fun experience," Egbo said. "I got to know a few of the girls. Knowing the high schoolers and talking about things. I just told them what it's like going to college, being a freshman in college and how tough it is. Just getting to know your team will be better and establishing a good support system will be good, but there's really no way you can adapt to college without being in college."

- Steve Drumwright, USA Basketball website
slimecap

Saturday, July 20, 2019
U19 Preliminary Round: Group C
USA vs Australia
1:15 AM EDT @ Bangkok, Thailand
WacoKelly83
YouTube link to the game
GarlandBear84
I'd just like to know how Queen did, but won't have time to watch the video.
slimecap

Queen Egbo scores 10 points
USA 79 Australia 56
U19 Preliminary Round: Group C
July 20, 2019
mimi25408
Queen was excellent on her free throws. There was one play in particular at the end where she is posting up in front of her man and screaming for the ball, Not once but twice. Caitlin Clark precedes to ignore her both times and pass the ball elsewhere . Queen looked so agitated at that point. Couldn't help but think that Mulkey would have put Clark on the bench quick, fast, and in a hurry.
WacoKelly83
Mimi is correct. Queen played a solid all around game but the free throws were the highlight. She was 4 for 4 and nothing but net on all of them. She was also a rebounding machine, fighting for every loose ball.

And I can see why Kim likes Haley Van Lith so much. She played very well also.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.