Juicy!

25,262 Views | 96 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by slimecap
Eball
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My goodness...my favorite is really stepping up! It is like a light switch was turned on....Look at the minutes that Kim has been giving her and the scoring not just threes she has been doing. Handles the ball well great rebounder for a guard obviously playing good defense or she would not be getting the minutes. Anyone else see this level of play coming?

I hope the freshman and Sophs are taking note of how she paid her dues kept working hard for the last two years and is now getting her chance to shine. How good can she get?
setshot
Good call, Eball.

I have always believed that Juicy had the combination of athleticism, skill, and competitive demeanor to be a very fine wing player, as it was a position that required less decision making on her part and took full advantage of her shooting (she seems to be more accurate from the wing, at least at this point) and her athleticism as a rebounder and a factor in transition. What she lacked as a frosh player, and we need to keep this in mind as we look at our current group, was the self confidence that familiarity with assignments and the recognition and decision-making that accompanied that, made all the more difficult by the increased speed of the game. She also tended to get into foul trouble, as we saw with Ursin last season, but being too aggressive out away from the basket.

New players are having to think their way through their assignments and that causes them to be just a fraction too late on passes, defensive rotations, and shot selection. Again as we have seen with Ursin, this improves in the second year, and as we are now seeing with Landrum, it becomes almost second nature by the third year. Few players have the capacity to become coaches on the floor as quickly as Kristi Wallace did, and even she showed a major leap in productivity from her second to her third year.

Juicy did a more than acceptable job of filling in for Kristi when injury sidelined her last year, until the emergence of Alexis Morris as a competent point guard allowed Juicy to return to the off guard slot where she seems to have a real comfort zone. I don't know what Coach Mulkey will decide next season, but I can see Juicy moving to the PG position and doing exceptionally well there if that is the decision that is made. She will likely not be the rebounder at the point that she is on the wing, where she frequently swoops in from the weak side and proves to be quicker to the ball than taller players, and she may not be as likely to light it up from the three point line, but that may not be the case once she settles in out there. It will be interesting to see how that develops. No matter, she will be one of the best players in the conference next year and a quiet leader on this team.
WasheFuzzy
Juicy has turned into one of my favorite players because I admire the fact that she stuck with it because she believed in herself. She knew what she was capable of and is now getting the opportunity to show us all.

Keep it coming, Juicy!
Lion82
She is the poster girl for what happens when you work hard, learn the system and do what the coaches ask you to do.

Great to see a local player excel.
WNIT in '23
ChapBear
Ok, so KM recruits these two MDAA Player named Cox & Chou. Then this local girl with the strange nickname tags along. Now in her Jr yr she all of the sudden can hit a midrange jump shot coming ofF a screen, she can hit a three from just about inside half court, cosistently, she has great leaping ability & is the second best rebounder on the team statistically, she can guard and make life hard on who ever she guards. She is very fast. I love it when she takes the ball on a fast break and turns on the afterburners and blows by the opponent who thinks she is going to block her shot. This my friends is an All Conference guard.
ChapBear
ChapBear said:

Ok, so KM recruits these two MDAA Players named Cox & Chou. Then this local girl with the strange nickname tags along. Now in her Jr yr she all of the sudden can hit a midrange jump shot coming ofF a screen, she can hit a three from just about inside half court, cosistently, she has great leaping ability & is the second best rebounder on the team statistically, she can guard and make life hard on who ever she guards. She is very fast. I love it when she takes the ball on a fast break and turns on the afterburners and blows by the opponent who thinks she is going to block her shot. This my friends is an All Conference guard.
ladybears4eva
Juicy looks good this year. Last year she wouldn't shoot in that last game. Gun shy.

Not this year. She's confident and aggressive
gone to Tickfaw
i'm not a basketball coach or setshot and i'm not earning 7 figures to coach but i think i have it all figured out

when Brown & Cox get double and triple teamed, couldn't we work on an offense that takes advantage of that... they step just outside the paint, drawing two or three defenders, and brown passes to a slashing Juicy, Chloe or Didi...

or she passes to Cox on the same side, who draws the attention and the others slash to the basket.
Bone Squad
ladybears4eva
I don't know if Kalani can win big 12 player of the year at this pace....

She isn't scoring or rebounding like last year..

. because she doesn't need to ?...no fire inside her to average a double double?

WacoKelly83
Nothing to do with her play but did anyone else notice one of strangest moments of the year during the BU-TCU game? "Juicy" Landrum fouling "Yummy" Morris of TCU. I had to look it up to see if I heard the TV announcer correctly. And yes, that is her name and she is a freshman froggy
AirBear
ladybears4eva said:

I don't know if Kalani can win big 12 player of the year at this pace....

She isn't scoring or rebounding like last year..

. because she doesn't need to ?...no fire inside her to average a double double?

I think Kim is trying to save Kalani for the tournament. Kalani, and Cox to some degree, were out of gas at the end of last year. The best way to avoid that is to get the freshmen seasoned up and let them play more minutes and rest Kalani and Cox. It is a difficult balance but If Kalani and Cox play as much this year as they did last year, we get to the tournament and they are tired and the freshmen do not have as much experience.

Also, Kalani knows how to turn it on when it is needed. I point to the UCONN game as Exhibit 1. That is somewhat a dangerous approach to take because she might try to turn it on one night and not be able to get it in gear. But with the exception of Stanford, Kalani's level of play has been enough.

This is not to say that Kalani does not care about conference games. But she has seen the other side of the curtain and knows what the prize is. She knows ultimately what matters is how the team does in the NCAA tournament.

Being Big 12 player of the year is a big deal------until you have already won that award and are looking to get to a NC.

Just like Nina Davis let her numbers suffer he senior year for the good of the team, Kalani's numbers may drop this year, but the team may make the Final Four. If I was Kalani, I would value the Final Four more at this point.
slimecap

StatMan
There will be other Big XII regular season basketball games where Juicy Landrum can score 15-20 points, and take some scoring pressure off our taller players in the paint, and near the basket.
slimecap

Jan 23 vs Iowa State
RSBear
That pic says it all!
skilledup
Juicy was a great AAU player. Just think, Morris, Juicy, McCowin, Carter, and Richards were all on one team at some point.
slimecap

vs Oklahoma on Jan 28, 2019
slimecap

Juicy Landrum #20 vs TCU on Feb 9, 2019
BaylorBears_254
I actually see something different this year than the past years.

Mulkey may have finally learned her lesson and has started to trust her guards and forwards.

Im seeing way more offense from Didi, Juicy, Jackson, and Moon.

This is the recipe to win, trust everyone and not feed the post 100% of the time. These girls have really good offensive games, but could never showcase it much
mimi25408
Yes we are definitely going to to need our guards in the tourney. If all five players do not contribute on offense we are going to be in trouble. Are guards have to create their own shots because forcing it in to the post wild be the death of us. One thing I am nervous about is foul trouble in the tourney. If we have multiple players in foul trouble and we are forced to put in freshman, how will they react since they rarely play in conference games?? So nervous and it's only February
slimecap

slimecap

Feb 20, 2019
slimecap

slimecap

March 4, 2019
slimecap

Eball
Who would have guessed that at end of the regular season...Juicy would be leading the team in average minutes played per game at 32....

What a great year she has had...what a tremendous example she is for the freshman who may be concerned over playing time and their long term role on the team.

slimecap

March 11, 2019
slimecap

March 23, 2019
slimecap

historian
slimecap said:

They released several of these clips, including some from road games. Awesome!
slimecap

March 25, 2019
Johnny Bear
The deeper we go, the more her 3's are going to be needed. Hope they keep falling.
Chibears2
Yes, Johnny Bear. You and I both. There is a comfort level shooting on your home court that isn't present at away venues. But Juicy has to be brimming with confidence after that performance, and confidence is a shooter's best friend!
DanaDane
I really hope the 5 freshmen studied Juicy's evolution in Mulkey's system. She looked lost as a goose as a freshman, but she stuck with it and her game has blossomed this year. Score one for patience, dedication and perserverance. Sure hope the 5 frosh realize they can do the same.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.