Story Poster
Photo by Todd Nickle
Baylor Women's Basketball

Lady Bears (19-1, 9-0) at Texas (18-4, 8-2) Preview and Game Thread

February 4, 2019

There isn’t a ton to write about this game as much of it has been written over the past eight plus seasons. Baylor is the top team in the conference and Texas is the top challenger. Baylor has a 1.5 game lead on the conference race with a perfect 9-0 record, but faces a test on the road against an 8-2 Texas team looking to tighten the race. Both programs thrive off the rivalry and national attention is a given when Baylor and Texas square off.

The game takes place in Austin at 6 p.m. Monday, February 4. 

How To Watch:

ESPN2

ESPN2GO APP

ESPN+

Keys To The Game:

Stay out of foul trouble

Keep Texas off the three point line

Keep Texas off the foul line

Pound the ball inside and use size advantage

Hit open mid-range show

Team Points Rebounds Assists Blocks Steals
Baylor 82.2 47.8 23.5 7.2 7.8
Texas 72.6 43.1 14.0 2.5 7.3

Fun Facts:

Baylor has won 18 of the last 19 games.

Texas hasn’t won in Austin since January 31, 2010.

This is the 98th meeting between the Lady Bears and Longhorns. Texas leads the series 58-39.

Baylor is 30-11 under Kim Mulkey against Texas.

Discussion from...

Lady Bears (19-1, 9-0) at Texas (18-4, 8-2) Preview and Game Thread

30,234 Views | 202 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by slimecap
Baylor Dad in Va.
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It won't happen, but nothing would make me happier than to see a win so definitive that we could play our freshmen for the 4th quarter like against Texas Tech.
Eball
Looking forward to this one! On the road against arguably the second or third best team in conference. big name still drawing good talent and rankings.

I think we win and handle business but nothing would surprise me...we have to play our game.
bearbone11
I have seen nothing to make me believe that Texas can stop Brown and Cox on the post. They are 9th in the conference in blocks, and 9th in steals. If Brown and Cox stay out of foul trouble, Texas has little chance. Even if there is foul trouble, our backups are better than their starters. Texas generally shows up to play us, but we should get through this pretty easy if we play our game.
R11
Johnny Bear
bearbone11 said:

I have seen nothing to make me believe that Texas can stop Brown and Cox on the post. They are 9th in the conference in blocks, and 9th in steals. If Brown and Cox stay out of foul trouble, Texas has little chance. Even if there is foul trouble, our backups are better than their starters. Texas generally shows up to play us, but we should get through this pretty easy if we play our game.
To me, this could be huge as far as it potentially turning into a 40 minute game, especially if either or both get two quick early fouls. Will need to hit some from the outside as well - hopefully Juicy is ready to go.
bearbone11
Another interesting stat. In conference play, Baylor easily leads the Big 12 in Assist/Turnover ratio at 1.9. Texas is 8th at .7. They have more turnovers than steals.Our turnover margin is +3. Texas is -3.1. Statistically, I'm amazed that Texas is as high up in the standings as they are. The guards could have a field day with this one.
R11
Bone Squad
As always, basketball is unpredictable, and the best team does not always win. However, barring an uncharacteristically bad game for us or an uncharacteristically good one for them, I think this Texas team presents less of a challenge for us than they have for at least 3 or 4 years.
74Bear
IMO, win this game and keep a one seed since we should win the rest. Lose and it may give em any excuse to move us to a 2 seed and replace us with one of their favorites.
Eball
Bone Squad said:

As always, basketball is unpredictable, and the best team does not always win. However, barring an uncharacteristically bad game for us or an uncharacteristically good one for them, I think this Texas team presents less of a challenge for us than they have for at least 3 or 4 years.
We agree on this one!
slimecap

slimecap

Jacques Strap
slimecap said:

Do you think 1,000 horn fans will show up?
Johnny Bear
Jacques Strap said:

slimecap said:

Yep. For us, they'll show up.
Jacques Strap
Johnny Bear said:

Jacques Strap said:

slimecap said:

Yep. For us, they'll show up.
Ha! Good point! Hope the Bears ruin some horn dreams tonight.
Malbec
Suzie with the tip. Bang the Drum.
Eball
sic em Bears!
StatMan
The pressure is on the Texas Longhorns to make it a close, competitive Big XII WB game with the #1 ranked Baylor Lady Bears. Otherwise, it WILL be a double digit win for the Lady Bears on ESPN2 tonight in Austin.
ETBU
Johnny Bear said:

bearbone11 said:

To me, this could be huge as far as it potentially turning into a 40 minute game, especially if either or both get two quick early fouls. Will need to hit some from the outside as well - hopefully Juicy is ready to go.
This makes one wonder about the officials. Will they call it close, or let them play?
fubar
StatMan said:

The pressure is on the Texas Longhorns to make it a close, competitive Big XII WB game with the #1 ranked Baylor Lady Bears. Otherwise, it WILL be a double digit win for the Lady Bears on ESPN2 tonight in Austin.
Uh oh ....
KajunKarlsdad
Which team is #1 again....sloppy slopy start
HoustonBear15
Texas hot from 3 early
Bruiser85
A little shaky start
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Didi with the jumper

6-9

Texas misses

Didi airball and she holds her hand like she was fouled

TV Timeout

3rdgenbear
Texas had their best 2 players graduate last year. If our guards are on tonight, we should be in great shape. Hoping for an evenly called game.

Light 'em up girls!
bearbone11
This has been a problem with both the men and the women, but why do the forwards insist on dribbling the ball down court after a rebound? Just get the ball to your point guard and get in position. Power forwards trying to lead a break ends in a turnover way too often.
R11
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Texas travels

Juicy dribbles into her foot and 5th turnover for the Lady Bears and then fouls

Moon in for Juicy

Texas misses

Moon floater AND1

8-9

Makes FT 9-9

Texas misses a 3, Cox board

Jackson pass is kicked out of bounds

Moon jumper

11-9
griff65
A bright Moon tonight!
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Texas misses a layup

Cox banker

13-9

Texas timeout
Eball
Moon
4th and Inches
Moon doing good things so far
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
HoustonBear15
I love Moon's confidence. If she can keep putting up numbers consistently, she'll be more than just a defensive puzzle piece.
bearbone11
When Didi and Moon are knocking it down then there ain't much a defense can do. Excellent work defending without fouling those last couple possessions.
R11
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Texas misses

Chloe jumper

15-9

Texas misses a wild 3

Didi jumper

17-9

Texas misses, long board to Texas

Didi fouls underneath while pinned on defense. (2nd team foul)

Didi steals the in bounds and misses the layup

Texas 3

17-12

Moon misses a 3, Cox board and put back

19-12

BUZZER

End 1st
Kwall
Didi has to start making those layups
griff65
Gotta get Kalani going!
ladybears4eva
Moon

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.