Story Poster
Photo by © Jim Dedmon-USA TODAY Sports
Baylor Women's Basketball

Final Four: Baylor vs. Oregon Preview and Game Thread

April 3, 2019

And then there were four teams remaining with a chance to win a national championship. The Baylor Lady Bears will need to get by a sharp shooting Oregon Ducks team led by a unanimous All-American, Sabrina Ionescu, to face the winner of Notre Dame and UConn. The Oregon Ducks are 33-4 on the season and on a four game winning streak. Baylor is 35-1 and currently on a 27 game winning streak.

How To Watch:

6 p.m. Friday, April 5

ESPN2

ESPNGO APP

ESPN3on 

ESPN+

Keys To The Game:

Defend the three point line

Make Sabrina Ionescu work on both ends

Feed Brown and Cox

Keep Oregon off the FT line

Protect the ball

TEAM PTS REB AST STL BLK FG% OPP FG% 3PT% FT%
BAYLOR 81.5 47.6 22.5 7.7 7.2 50.3 31.4 37.8 68.2
OREGON 85.4 37.9 19.0 7.0 2.8 50.5 39.5 41.7 76.6

Fun Facts:

Oregon’s bench is as deep as a thin crust at Shorty’s

Oregon will be 3108 miles from home

Baylor will be 1160 miles from home

COMMON OPPONENTS BAYLOR OREGON
SOUTH DAKOTA STATE 72-66 (W) 87-79 (W), 63-53 (W)
ARIZONA STATE 65-59 (W) 77-71 (W), 66-59 (W)
STANFORD 63-68 (L) 88-48 (W), 57-64 (L)
CAL 102-63 (W) 105-82 (W)

Oregon hasn’t travelled outside of the state in almost four weeks since the Pac 12 tournament, while Baylor travelled to Greensboro, North Carolina for their Regional.

PATH TO FINAL FOUR BAYLOR OREGON
1st Round Abilene Christian 95-38 Portland State 78-40
2nd Round Cal 102-63 Indiana 91-68
Sweet 16 #15 South Carolina 93-68 South Dakota State 63-53
Elite 8 #8 Iowa 85-53 Mississippi State 88-84

Discussion from...

Final Four: Baylor vs. Oregon Preview and Game Thread

42,349 Views | 257 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by slimecap
EatMoreSalmon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
HarryJohnson
Let's go Bears!! Oregon has a great team, but it is time for us to flex our muscle!
slimecap

slimecap

slimecap

L-R Front row
Caitlin Bickle. NaLyssa Smith. Chloe Jackson. Queen Egbo.
L-R Back row
Aquira DeCosta. Kalani Brown. Honesty Scott-Grayson. Juicy Landrum.
DiDi Richards. Moon Ursin. Trinity Oliver. Lauren Cox.
slimecap

slimecap

ScottS
0-0 but its early
SmallVol1
We went to Tampa for a Final Four in 2008. Hope you all get the same outcome we did. We thought the city did a good job hosting; we were about 40 minutes from the arena and the whole area was nice. I think you'll enjoy the visiting there.

Oregon is good and that big girl is the real deal; you all can beat them, but putting them at the 4th #1 didn't do Bayor any favors. But then who wants to play ND or ucon either as the semi game?

Must admit, I'm nervous. Looking forward to the game.

Good Luck,
Chibears2
Been going to Final Four since 2002 in San Antonio. Visited lots of neat places through FF trips. Indy and Denver are favorite experiences for obvious reasons, but Tampa and San Antonio are favorite venues. Have really enjoyed every trip there (this is third time).

And didn't the Vols win it all in Tampa?
slimecap

slimecap

slimecap

Eball
It's go time in Tampa! Hang on it is going to be a great game! Can't wait
3rdgenbear
These final four teams are all great teams and all deserve to be here, but none are better than our #1 Lady Bears. When we are playing at our best, we are better than any team in the field. The Lady Bears know what it takes to win and can do it in so many ways. You never know who is going to step up offensively. Scary thought for the other teams, what if they all do.

2 more games...

Sic em!

Forest Bueller
3rdgenbear said:

These final four teams are all great teams and all deserve to be here, but none are better than our #1 Lady Bears. When we are playing at our best, we are better than any team in the field. The Lady Bears know what it takes to win and can do it in so many ways. You never know who is going to step up offensively. Scary thought for the other teams, what if they all do.

2 more games...

Sic em!

This.

No doubt the Lady Bears best is better than anybody else's best.
jdrs
Ready to watch our green and gold play and get the win! Gonna be a long afternoon.
MrGolfguy
The Lady Bears defense will be the key to victory; I reckon the Ducks have not played a better defensive team than they will see tonight.
Well I ain't no greenhorn!!
Wichitabear
Thank you. It's always great to hear from you.
whitetrash
Eball
I will be interested in the match ups tonight...Brown on their one big that does not shoot the three is a no brainer...Jackson on their PT guard? Cox on Boley the shorter but more true post type player shoots a lot of threes...DiDi on Sabrina which everyone assumes...but that leaves Juicy on SABo who is a 6'4" wing guard...surely they will move Cox to Sabo but then Juicy on Boley who is still 6'2" and can post better than Sabo so Juicy has her hands full either way. Juicy is a good defender but she gets in foul trouble guarding a penetrater so if they put her on Sabrina likely see her in foul trouble. They have some match up size wise that could give us some problems and create some mismatches. Brown is our match up problem but Sabo and Boley give us some match up problems if we want to put DiDi on Sabrina.

They hit 10 or more threes it will be a single digit game if they hit 13 or more they likely win...if we hold them to under 10 we should be winning by double digits. Of course it also depends on how well we score inside if we shoot above 50% overall I don't see that they have much of a chance against us.

I hate that we have two threads one on premium and one here...I love the free women's board and I feel the premium is pulling folks away...it is hard to post on both but I enjoy both.
william
go lady bears!

- BUmma
Dale?
57Bear
Eball said:

I will be interested in the match ups tonight...Brown on their one big that does not shoot the three is a no brainer...Jackson on their PT guard? Cox on Boley the shorter but more true post type player shoots a lot of threes...DiDi on Sabrina which everyone assumes...but that leaves Juicy on SABo who is a 6'4" wing guard...surely they will move Cox to Sabo but then Juicy on Boley who is still 6'2" and can post better than Sabo so Juicy has her hands full either way. Juicy is a good defender but she gets in foul trouble guarding a penetrater so if they put her on Sabrina likely see her in foul trouble. They have some match up size wise that could give us some problems and create some mismatches. Brown is our match up problem but Sabo and Boley give us some match up problems if we want to put DiDi on Sabrina.

They hit 10 or more threes it will be a single digit game if they hit 13 or more they likely win...if we hold them to under 10 we should be winning by double digits. Of course it also depends on how well we score inside if we shoot above 50% overall I don't see that they have much of a chance against us.

I hate that we have two threads one on premium and one here...I love the free women's board and I feel the premium is pulling folks away...it is hard to post on both but I enjoy both.

We appreciate your insightful postings here.
StatMan
I'm ready for this Women's Final Four showdown between the Baylor Lady Bears and Oregon Ducks. Both teams are having great basketball seasons, but only one can advance. If defense wins championships, then the Lady Bears have the advantage tonight over the Ducks. If Baylor can keep Oregon under 80 points, the Lady Bears should win. Baylor guards collectively need to play well, both on offense and defense. Kalani Brown might be limited in her scoring, but Lauren Cox and other teammates can benefit. Juicy Landrum has a chance to hit a few 3-point baskets tonight. Chloe Jackson will have opportunities to hit mid-range jumpers. Didi Richards will have the challenge of limiting Sabrina Ionescu. Defend and contest the Oregon 3-point shot attempts, and they likely won't make many from beyond the arc. This is going to be fun the next few hours. Let's Go, Baylor Lady Bears!
slimecap

Brian Ethridge
Staff
Somebody run the thread. I'm not going to be able to be home, but I'll be listening.
4th and Inches
Condrey with the tip!
MommaBear
I think if we keep Ionescu with less than 20 points in the game, we win. Their bench doesn't score much.

Let's go Lady Bears!!!
Timbear
I just hope Drew is watching and learning.
MommaBear
Alrighty! Kalani scores the first basket of the game.
Media Bear
Two quick fouls on our bigs (one on Brown, one on Cox)
Media Bear
Lady Bears need to turn it up a notch and stop turning the ball over.
Media Bear
Brown fouled on shot, no call.

Ducks 11, Baylor 4
geewago
Not a good start
Yeek
Very tentative on offense. Everyone standing around waiting for someone else to do something.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.