BG congrats

12,163 Views | 61 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by slimecap
Meladee
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It isn't one or the other.

BG has a great positive impact on recruiting. She was part of what influenced Kalani to come here. Bigs know they can come here and get to be more than a rebounding bot. They also know they can come and get to the next level.

Messer and Wilson are also big parts of our recruiting improvement.

It's all if these things.

We should honor these players, hopefully she'll finish her degree so we can retire her jersey.
zebra90
Was Toyelle Wilson at the tourney games. I do not remember seeing her on the sidelines.
GarlandBear84
She's been on maternity leave for a while.
Stryker
Chibears2 said:

A 20 something year old would NOT have been in control of the narrative in a for profit book, in my estimation.
There's no way Griner doesn't have final say on what's written in a book that she puts her name to. If you want to excuse her because she was young and naive and let others with an agenda to push or an angle to sell books influence her, I'll accept that. But, I don't accept that she was powerless.
zebra90
Thanks for the note about Toyelle and maternity leave. I forgot - wondered where she was but glad to know she is still around.
ladybears4eva
Kim loves BG and supported her and the lesbian players throughout the years.

As a mother hen, kim has to protect her lesbian players from Baylors Old Testament policies of expulsion over even accusations of same-sex activity. Its a fine line to tip toe on.

Its just ridiculous too, there are many lgbtq students at Baylor.

These policies are always going to hurt people in many ways.

Kate Faygan story really took liberties with anything about kim, it was a stretch. And felt like a story with an agenda to attacking any homophobic sympathizer in the way.

I love Bg. She was amazing and continues to dominate in basketball. Im proud to say she won at Baylor.

ladybears4eva
Kim and BG are good. Trust.
gone to Tickfaw
did you notice that ***an has sort of fallen off the radar... never see anything from her at spn
Mitch Blood Green
fujobear said:

why a stature for Griner? She won ONE NC? Maybe if she'd done all four... but i'm not sure she's the best player we've ever had...

If she's getting one, please get a different Sculpture(r) than the guy who did the RG3 statue.
longtimebear
rileyroo said:

Britney Griner used to come to our football tailgate. She loved Baylor and knows that BU was good to her. She was swarmed every time she came by and loved every minute of it. I, for one, appreciated that she called out BU for their policies. I just wish she had not included Kim in the dialogue. Kim was a mother hen to the players. She protected Britney over and over and had her back after BG slugged the Tech girl. Kim loved Britney and only wanted the best for her. The story that was created about Kim being anti-gay couldn't be further from the truth. I know otherwise.

BU should welcome Britney back to campus and have a celebration with Kim at mid court. Many of the players you see today came to BU because of the Britney Griner influence.

UNTIL she apologises for the negative things she told the press after receiving a free scholarship from Baylor.......I don't care how many tailgates or positive comments she might make in the here and now, she is still one ungrateful spoiled brat who used her new platform to ridicule Mulkey and her school. Then and only then will I welcome her back and forgive her!
!
LadyChickBear
longtimebear said:

rileyroo said:

Britney Griner used to come to our football tailgate. She loved Baylor and knows that BU was good to her. She was swarmed every time she came by and loved every minute of it. I, for one, appreciated that she called out BU for their policies. I just wish she had not included Kim in the dialogue. Kim was a mother hen to the players. She protected Britney over and over and had her back after BG slugged the Tech girl. Kim loved Britney and only wanted the best for her. The story that was created about Kim being anti-gay couldn't be further from the truth. I know otherwise.

BU should welcome Britney back to campus and have a celebration with Kim at mid court. Many of the players you see today came to BU because of the Britney Griner influence.

UNTIL she apologises for the negative things she told the press after receiving a free scholarship from Baylor.......I don't care how many tailgates or positive comments she might make in the here and now, she is still one ungrateful spoiled brat who used her new platform to ridicule Mulkey and her school. Then and only then will I welcome her back and forgive her!
!

Last paragraph! I don't think your forgiveness is important. That is between Kim, Brittney and God. And I pray you have been perfect so you don't ever need forgiveness. Brittney was extremely naive and wanted to please...easy to manipulate. I watch her play in the summers and root like crazy for her.
WacoKelly83
zebra90 said:

Thanks for the note about Toyelle and maternity leave. I forgot - wondered where she was but glad to know she is still around.

She was a part of the parade. (But didn't have her baby with her. Lol)
TXtoCO
Griner was young and being pulled in many different directions by many different people. I forgiver her for not conducting herself differently. I'm sure that the BG of today would conduct herself much differently.
UBBY
This issue was partly cyclical. I know someone on the team who told me that Kim would give Britney privileges that no one else got. I specifically remember her telling me that after Britney punched the girl and got suspended that Kim wanted some players on the team to take her out for ice cream and she didn't get punished by Kim for the incident. She told me no one else would've gotten this privilege. That was maybe part of the entitlement that Britney felt she was bigger then the team. She was treated like that since high school.

Britney was also immature at the time. She was still a kid getting all the accolades of being the best women's basketball player in the country.
bubbadog
UBBY said:

This issue was partly cyclical. I know someone on the team who told me that Kim would give Britney privileges that no one else got. I specifically remember her telling me that after Britney punched the girl and got suspended that Kim wanted some players on the team to take her out for ice cream and she didn't get punished by Kim for the incident. She told me no one else would've gotten this privilege. That was maybe part of the entitlement that Britney felt she was bigger then the team. She was treated like that since high school.

Britney was also immature at the time. She was still a kid getting all the accolades of being the best women's basketball player in the country.
What some might call special treatment, others might call helping someone with specific needs and challenges through a specific situation. Britney was already being suspended, and the incident got national attention which made her a target.

It's important to note the context for what she did. Apparently, Tech fans were calling her the N-word, and they were making catcalls about her deep voice, her size and sexuality. The Tech player she hit had been given a mission to provoke her with words and actions, and it worked.

It was a learning experience for her. Obviously, her response to the provocations was both inappropriate and self-defeating, since it brought consequences down on her and not the player and fans who had started it. But I can imagine a lot of kids in Britney's situation as a college freshman who needed to develop tools to deal with nasty behavior that was intended to provoke, and who also needed someone who could mentor them instead of delivering only punishment.

Not everybody has the patience and self-control of a Jackie Robinson to bear that kind of burden. Robinson was hand-picked not because he was the best pure player but because he was the best player who could endure the abuse without retaliating. And it's worth remembering also that Robinson was a college graduate with some experience and added maturity, not an 18-year-old freshman.
"Free your ass and your mind will follow." -- George Clinton
fredbear
I just wish we could let basketball be about basketball. Identity politics belong in another realm. All I cared about was BG being a great post player. I am not in favor of same gender sexuality for many reasons, but again, still a BG fan. I cheered her on then and now, even if our opinions might differ. Every thing is not about one's sexual identity. Just play basketball.
bubbadog
fredbear said:

I just wish we could let basketball be about basketball. Identity politics belong in another realm. All I cared about was BG being a great post player. I am not in favor of same gender sexuality for many reasons, but again, still a BG fan. I cheered her on then and now, even if our opinions might differ. Every thing is not about one's sexual identity. Just play basketball.
I'm sure Britney Griner wished that she had been able to just play basketball without fans from other schools hounding her about her masculine-sounding voice and making claims about her sexual identity even while she remained in the closet. Britney wasn't the one who started playing identity politics. She wasn't out there advertising her opinions about same sex relationships. Others started making attacks about her identity.

It's just difficult to imagine everything she went through, and it's easy for people to criticize when they haven't walked in her shoes.
mlb60
bubbadog said:

UBBY said:

What some might call special treatment, others might call helping someone with specific needs and challenges through a specific situation. Britney was already being suspended, and the incident got national attention which made her a target.

It's important to note the context for what she did. Apparently, Tech fans were calling her the N-word, and they were making catcalls about her deep voice, her size and sexuality. The Tech player she hit had been given a mission to provoke her with words and actions, and it worked.

It was a learning experience for her. Obviously, her response to the provocations was both inappropriate and self-defeating, since it brought consequences down on her and not the player and fans who had started it. But I can imagine a lot of kids in Britney's situation as a college freshman who needed to develop tools to deal with nasty behavior that was intended to provoke, and who also needed someone who could mentor them instead of delivering only punishment.

Not everybody has the patience and self-control of a Jackie Robinson to bear that kind of burden. Robinson was hand-picked not because he was the best pure player but because he was the best player who could endure the abuse without retaliating. And it's worth remembering also that Robinson was a college graduate with some experience and added maturity, not an 18-year-old freshman.

Bill Russell had some comments about her situation, based on his experiences in the NBA...

https://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/20/sports/ncaabasketball/20griner.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share

And the days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days.—Ray Wylie Hubbard
bubbadog
mlb60 said:

bubbadog said:

UBBY said:

Bill Russell had some comments about her situation, based on his experiences in the NBA...

https://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/20/sports/ncaabasketball/20griner.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share

Interesting read. Thanks for posting.
LadyChickBear
bubbadog said:

fredbear said:

I'm sure Britney Griner wished that she had been able to just play basketball without fans from other schools hounding her about her masculine-sounding voice and making claims about her sexual identity even while she remained in the closet. Britney wasn't the one who started playing identity politics. She wasn't out there advertising her opinions about same sex relationships. Others started making attacks about her identity.

It's just difficult to imagine everything she went through, and it's easy for people to criticize when they haven't walked in her shoes.
Amen!! It is terribly difficult to understand another's pain.
Porteroso
tommie said:

fujobear said:

why a stature for Griner? She won ONE NC? Maybe if she'd done all four... but i'm not sure she's the best player we've ever had...

If she's getting one, please get a different Sculpture(r) than the guy who did the RG3 statue.

I know right? It's pretty bad.

I'm not a basketball player, so nobody at Baylor told me I couldn't talk about x part of my life... But if they had, I'd probably have been somewhat hurt and frustrated by it, as a 20 year old. I would be now, that's for sure.

Griner has every right to say what she wants, especially after being a student. If alums cannot speak about the school, who can?

She was great for us, and I will only ever wish her the best.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
I wish she'd finish her degree.
UBBY
Brian Ethridge said:

Yup. WNBA doesn't pay much.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
UBBY said:

Brian Ethridge said:

Russia does
UBBY
Brian Ethridge said:

UBBY said:

Brian Ethridge said:

Russia does
Japan pays pretty well too don't they?
Wineguy89
UBBY said:

Brian Ethridge said:

UBBY said:

Brian Ethridge said:

Russia does
Japan pays pretty well too don't they?

Think that's China and pretty sure BG makes $1MM a year over there too.
SSadler
Brian Ethridge said:

And as Ethridge knows THAT is the reason her jersey has not been hung. Has absolutely nothing to do with apologies, gender ID, off court issues. For KMulkey you GRADUATE (however many offseasons it might take) and THEN you are available for the honor at Ferrell.

If/when Brittney ever finds a desire and a way to finish residence requirements at BU (you can't complete it via Online Learning), my understanding has been KMulkey will gladly welcome and affirm Brittney's All American status and national title at Baylor.

Not often does a coach be THAT programatic and consistent in support of academics first/competition second. BU has it in KMulkey.
slimecap

May 11, 2019
WNBA Preseason
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.