Lamar vs. Baylor Game Thread

6,294 Views | 52 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by blueeyedbear
ScottS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
HoustonBear15 said:

GoldenBear said:

HoustonBear15 said:

Anyone watching? Not a large crowd tonight
Yes, there was "only" 7,352 officially in attendance.
There's absolutely no way there were that many there last night

Attendence numbers are tickets sold, not how many are there.
Chibears2
Definitely not that many in attendance, but to be fair, this has been an exhausting week for BU sports fans. Between Game Day and the emotional OU game, the hard Tuesday game for WBB and the emotional and electric VB versus UT, I was so worn out and my throat was so sore from yelling. With the UT game on the horizon, an opponent like Lamar, and tv coverage available, I almost considered bowing out and watching on ESPN+, but hey, gutted it out. I imagine quite a few of those missing fans watched on tv while recouping from last weekend and recharging for the upcoming one. Lady Bears got a win and all was good.*

* Except for 21 turnovers. Twenty-one turnovers NOT good no matter in front of sell out crowd or empty gym!!
Malbec
ScottS said:

HoustonBear15 said:

GoldenBear said:

HoustonBear15 said:

Anyone watching? Not a large crowd tonight
Yes, there was "only" 7,352 officially in attendance.
There's absolutely no way there were that many there last night

Attendence numbers are tickets sold, not how many are there.
Is it really "attendance" if they don't attend? They should call it "7,352 eligible to attend."

'Sir, your daughter was absent 9 times this semester.'
'Impossible. I paid her tuition. Count her.'
ScottS
Talk to the NCAA
geewago
ScottS said:

Talk to the NCAA
AS IF........well LOL
mimi25408
One thing I noticed last year especially in the championship game , we dont box out. If you watch a few games from last year and Tuesdays USF game you can see that we dont box out. We just jump straight up. We rely on our height to much. They won the rebounding game.

Turnovers annoyed me to my core. When you have 21 turnovers on a team like Lamar, that is Embarrassing.

I love Kim and our team but the force the ball to the post concept doesn't always work. There was a play in the Grambling game where Trinity had a wide open shot, her man caught a screen so she shot it. She missed and Kim went off on her for not giving Degrate the ball. DeGrate was never open. If the post is not open we need for our guards to create their own shot.

This years team will need our guards to win another championship. We have to be able to hit 3's and midrange shots when post are not open. We have got to open up the paint. It was congested with USF players. Chole was able to spread out defenses out with her midrange shot. If we continue to force things to the post its going to be a long year.

setshot
Thanks for those observations, Mimi. Well done.
Eball
mimi25408 said:

One thing I noticed last year especially in the championship game , we dont box out. If you watch a few games from last year and Tuesdays USF game you can see that we dont box out. We just jump straight up. We rely on our height to much. They won the rebounding game.

Turnovers annoyed me to my core. When you have 21 turnovers on a team like Lamar, that is Embarrassing.

I love Kim and our team but the force the ball to the post concept doesn't always work. There was a play in the Grambling game where Trinity had a wide open shot, her man caught a screen so she shot it. She missed and Kim went off on her for not giving Degrate the ball. DeGrate was never open. If the post is not open we need for our guards to create their own shot.

This years team will need our guards to win another championship. We have to be able to hit 3's and midrange shots when post are not open. We have got to open up the paint. It was congested with USF players. Chole was able to spread out defenses out with her midrange shot. If we continue to force things to the post its going to be a long year.

I don't disagree with most of the comments mimi...but not the tone...Kim has won three National Championships and we have certainly had our fair share of great guards and fine three point shooters...to imply otherwise is just not fair...we don't win last year if not for Jackson...

Our half CRT offense has always been run through a basic High Low post action...it also has the concept of inside out to get your three...look inside and if we don't have a great look at a bunny or the double team comes they look for cutters or back out to someone who will usually have a look at the three. We also are so much better than most of our competition we can and do run them into oblivion. If you have the ability to score off layups and shots from three feet you take them...We made one three against a very good USF and yet it was crucial and we hit it. Cooper and Juicy as well as Moon will hit some threes don't worry but they should come within the flow of the offense and not be forced. I agree we need guards this year and we do not have that presence of Brown however we still have very good posts and a very good offensive scheme that has worked very well.

As far as blocking out...I really have not studied that because the game against USF is so unusual we almost never get out rebounded...no doubt some of our outstanding record is because we have had extreme height and physicality advantages...maybe we do need to block out better and if we do then I am sure Kim will address that but it is a bit early to hit the panic button.

I got to looking and the upcoming stretch in the Virgin Islands will really present a test for us...I think it will reveal what we need to work on. As much faith as I have in this team and I certainly hope we win them all...I think we may have to lose a few and play some close games to figure out who our go to girls are and what we need to work on.

Love the Ladies and Kim so glad they represent Baylor!
ScottS
Do any of the teams we play in the Virgin Islands have someone that can dunk on us?
mimi25408
I know we have won three national championships. My point was they need to stop forcing the ball to the post if they are not open.
Eball
mimi25408 said:

I know we have won three national championships. My point was they need to stop forcing the ball to the post if they are not open.
Well...I am sure that sometimes we force it into the Post but I am not sure what you saw v Lamar but force feeding the Posts was not a problem...

Smith 8-8
Queen 6-8
EDG 8-9
Bickle 3-4

Overall our Posts players hit 25-29 shots for over 86%,

As far as TO's Coopper had -0-, Juicy had 1, DiDi 2

EDG, Queen and Smith accounted for 11 of the total 21 TO's...JO and TO had 3 each and Bickle had 1.

I don't believe the majority were entry passes although I am positive a few were...however when you run your offense through the Post you will have some TO's on entry passes.
3rdgenbear
The passing to the low post still needs a lot of work. I think CKM would agree. Lauren and Bickle do the best at it IMO. Their spacing is great and they get the ball in there when it needs to get there. It's a work in progress for some of the others. Nalyssa's ability to jump, catch & shoot is amazing, but it also takes a great delivery. They are getting better with each game.

I think CKM would like to see some extra passes whether it is inside or out, as she alluded to in the postgame press conference on Tuesday. It is just going to take some time. As the competition gets better, I think we'll see some more outside shooting. Juicy needs some more touches. We'll need contributions from all over the floor to get another NC. CKM and these Lady Bears can get the job done.
mimi25408
I'm talking about USF... not the the creme puff. Even though turnovers we bad their to
mimi25408

Well ... we shall see how good the lady bears are without LC.
BU71
mimi25408 said:

Well ... we shall see how good the lady bears are without LC.th
If LC stays healthy we will be a force offensively and defensively. Being without her will hurt early in the season but the experience younger players are gaining could pay dividends later in the year. This team is still developing this year's identity. As with many CKM coached teams they have a chance to be a final four contender.
historian
Agreed.

I hate to see LC hurt again and out of action, but this could be a blessing in disguise as the other players gain more experience & develop further. The team as a whole will be better off without having to rely on 1 player too much. One reason LC was so amazing last season is that so many others did great things and they all worked in tandem. This could be another such year with others stepping up to fill the roles supplied by Kalani & Chloe.

Sic 'em Bears!
bawitdaball
From a team perspective, winning games without LC increases other players' skill set and confidence. I do hope that she is able to come back this weekend so that we can begin to fine-tune our eventual offense, but there is no denying the unexpected growth many of the players are getting
Eball
mimi25408 said:

I'm talking about USF... not the the creme puff. Even though turnovers we bad their to
well you mentioned USF and rebounding but Lamar and TO's..specifically forcing the pass to the Posts...

I am just pointing out that we might have a few more TO's feeding the Posts because our offense is built around a high low post action and we emphasize Post touches and playing inside out.

I also don't think it is a major problem...against USF our guards played major minutes and Cooper had 2 TO's in 38 minutes...Juicy did have 4 but in 40 minutes of play...she also had our one and only big three! DiDi was awesome 7 assists and only 1 TO in 40 minutes...

It's early but we are solid at guard.

blueeyedbear
bawitdaball said:

From a team perspective, winning games without LC increases other players' skill set and confidence. I do hope that she is able to come back this weekend so that we can begin to fine-tune our eventual offense, but there is no denying the unexpected growth many of the players are getting
I said it before and I say it again LC being out is a blessing in disguise. Having 40 minutes to spread around 5 players that otherwise would not get those minutes IS going to have dividends down the schedule. I was very concerned withy the minutes Lauren was racking up. Now CKM knows she has to be more mindful of her minutes. I really do not care about early season rankings it is the March rankings when we need to be in contention for the top 4 slots on selection day that are important.
I say again BU fans these ladies are going to rise to the occasion and surprise a lot of people - be patient - give them a chance. lets just enjoy their amazing god given indivicual talents and cheer them on as they mature as a team and gain that all important cohesiveness as they learn how to play together as a team. When LC returns they will be AMAZING.

Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.