19-20 Transfer Portal

17,060 Views | 71 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Dcheetah
DFW Bill
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Her next school may not be in a Power 5 Conference.

I wish her the very best and hope things go well for her.
bawitdaball
DFW Bill said:

Her next school may not be in a Power 5 Conference.

I wish her the very best and hope things go well for her.
I have the same feeling.
Baylorkid
Alexis Morris tweeted she wanted to come home for basketball! Would Kim ever take her back?
74Bear
Maybe Lamar
Baylorkid
True! I just wish that one decision she made never stopped her career! She had so much potential when she played for us her freshmen year
DFW Bill
There was unfortunately more than one, let's just drop it.
Dcheetah
Shakira Austin to Ole Miss.
DanaDane
Our fan base CONTINUES to way overrate the skills of Alexis Morris. She wasn't that good and that is in addition to off the court issues. There are a LOT of reasons she's not that highly sought. She'll be mid-major, D2 or lower this time, if she gets another chance.
Bone Squad
Mulkey said she's not surprised Morris has had quick success, adding she would have voted her All-Big 12 freshman of the year.

"I didn't have any questions, honestly," Mulkey said. "The only thing Alexis doesn't have that is minutes played and game experience. She has the talent. She brings different things to the table than Kristy does."

https://www.hookem.com/story/freshman-morris-dazzles-baylor-clobbers-tcu-semifinal/

This was just the first quote from Mulkey I could find from Morris' freshman season. I recall her saying many times that Morris was not like other freshman.

Now, from my understanding of the off-the-court issues, I have no doubt that her dismissal was the right thing to do. I also agree that the ship has sailed, and there is no point in hoping she will somehow return to the Lady Bears.

BUT, I don't think it is appropriate to diminish her talent either. To say that she "wasn't that good" is directly contrary to what the one person who can speak with real authority on the subject (Mulkey) had to say about her. How about we just acknowledge that she is a highly talented player, and that her dismissal was a big loss both for Baylor and for Morris, but that both have to move on with the cards they've been dealt?
Dcheetah
Kyra Lambert to Texas. Good one for Vic. We are getting short on PGs in the portal. Hope Destiny is listening and receptive.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Alexis had tons of talent, but as DFW Bill alluded to, there were strikes and Mulkey doesn't miss those.
Baylorkid
Okay she was better than most freshmen that comes in! Don't lie!
Baylorkid
It'll be nice to get another guard so we have 10 players but we don't really need a PG. let Sarah Andrews play point or have didi or jordyn run point until Andrews is comfortable with the PG role
Dcheetah
I agree we will do this if we don't get who we are pursuing but I would love to see JO play the 2 and Didi able to slide comfortably wherever she is needed. We also need more 3 pt shooting!
Dcheetah
Deyona Gaston from MSU also committed to Texas this evening.
setshot
I liked Alexis Morris's game a lot, probably more than most on this board. I knew nothing about her off-court issues until the big blowup that took her off the team. I regretted that Baylor did not work out for her in that regard, and I think that she has suffered as a result, whereas the transfer program has filled in nicely for the Lady Bears.

I think that they need to find another experienced point guard for next year's team, and if they do not succeed in that regard it will be a difficult year for them. I think that they will also need another interior player of size, one with enough skill and experience to shore up the defense in the deep paint and add to the rebounding down there. I will be surprised if Mulkey does not acquire the help that she needs as things now stand.
Eball
setshot said:

I liked Alexis Morris's game a lot, probably more than most on this board. I knew nothing about her off-court issues until the big blowup that took her off the team. I regretted that Baylor did not work out for her in that regard, and I think that she has suffered as a result, whereas the transfer program has filled in nicely for the Lady Bears.

I think that they need to find another experienced point guard for next year's team, and if they do not succeed in that regard it will be a difficult year for them. I think that they will also need another interior player of size, one with enough skill and experience to shore up the defense in the deep paint and add to the rebounding down there. I will be surprised if Mulkey does not acquire the help that she needs as things now stand.
I agree! I love our 9 players coming back very solid group...but 9 is not enough...we have to find 2 or 3 more bodies...guard and a big....I would have to think we are working the transfer portal...anyone have a list of kids that would be options for us?
ScottS
Question on the players going from MSU to UT.....will these players make UT a lot better?
Adriacus Peratuun
ScottS said:

Question on the players going from MSU to UT.....will these players make UT a lot better?
UT is simply adding "bridge type" players. These players aren't championship quality. They should be good enough to help the new staff make runs toward the Sweet 16 for the next 2-3 years [which could then lead to momentum in recruiting championship quality talent]. Aston left the cupboard bare. 2 high quality talents, 2 serviceable talents. The rest of the inherited roster is not P5 Conference upper tier quality. The new staff needed a short term talent infusion to bridge the gap to the roster they will be building with 2022/2023/2024 recruits.

The biggest issue is melding the pieces together. I look at the roster and see a Ford engine, Chrysler transmission, Chevy frame, and assorted Toyota, Nissan, Yugo, and Saab parts. The UT staff will need to do some master work with the duct tape and super glue.
blueeyedbear
Adriacus Peratuun said:

ScottS said:

UT is simply adding "bridge type" players. These players aren't championship quality. They should be good enough to help the new staff make runs toward the Sweet 16 for the next 2-3 years [which could then lead to momentum in recruiting championship quality talent]. Aston left the cupboard bare. 2 high quality talents, 2 serviceable talents. The rest of the inherited roster is not P5 Conference upper tier quality. The new staff needed a short term talent infusion to bridge the gap to the roster they will be building with 2022/2023/2024 recruits.

The biggest issue is melding the pieces together. I look at the roster and see a Ford engine, Chrysler transmission, Chevy frame, and assorted Toyota, Nissan, Yugo, and Saab parts. The UT staff will need to do some master work with the duct tape and super glue.
I like your analysis !!!! Spot on
hitmanmw
Baylorkid said:

It'll be nice to get another guard so we have 10 players but we don't really need a PG. let Sarah Andrews play point or have didi or jordyn run point until Andrews is comfortable with the PG role
We may not need a "PG" per se, but we desperately need SHOOTERS!
setshot
Shrewd observation, Adriacus. I thought that one of Aston's shortcomings in her recruiting, other than the failure of several players over the years to live up to their high ranking as recruits and the injury bug that afflicted them, was the poor combinations that they often put on the floor. Far be it from me to be overly critical of successful coaches, and Aston by and large was successful except for the juggernaut up I-35 (and other coaches were not much more successful over the past few years), but I often wonder at the imbalance in some of the recruiting that goes on in college basketball.
Dcheetah
Destiny Slocum to Arkansas. Not sure I understand that. Would have had a better chance at a ring staying at OSU.
Doubt this is the landing she envisioned when she entered the portal.
BaylorBearWBBFan
Dcheetah said:

Destiny Slocum to Arkansas. Not sure I understand that. Would have had a better chance at a ring staying at OSU.
Doubt this is the landing she envisioned when she entered the portal.
This is probably exactly what she envisioned. She committed to Mike Neighbors while he was at UW, then switched to Maryland, then after transferring from Maryland she visited Mike Neighbors at Arkansas before committing to Oregon State.

Arkansas is one of the fastest teams in the NCAA, which fits her style of play very well.
Dcheetah
Playing fast certainly fits her style but she also wanted a championship and she wont do that at Arkansas.
Adriacus Peratuun
Mike Neighbors to Destiny Slocum:

my offense helped turn Kelsey Plum [a similar offensive minded and athletically limited PG] into the #1 pick in the WNBA Draft.

World:

Good luck fooling us a 2nd time.
papabear64
Looks like Baylor may not be able to sign any grad transfers
willtalk
BaylorBearWBBFan said:

South Carolina does have a solid point guard in Destanni Henderson. She was ranked the top-PG overall in the class of 2018, and should be primed to step into a starting spot as a junior.

I'm not very high on Slocum's ability to run an offense, OSU's offense never looked quite as good with Slocum running it as it did in 17-18 when they defeated us (they also had the terrific post player Cox and Brown could not stop), but she can score the ball, and I would love to see what Kim could do with her. Similar to Te'a in that she'll probably be looking for her shot first, and would likely lead the team in FGA next year.

Regardless, she's super talented and it would be great for Andrews to have a year behind/with Slocum.

You are partially correct. Slocum has shown (at least for half the season ) that she can run an offense. She just doesn't want to run it like a point guard. The Oregon St coach was trying to teach her but she decided she wanted to play her way. She really didn't shoot that much. She mostly did a lot of dribbling looking for opportunities for herself. Ate up a lot of clock. I don't think Kim would have taken her and I don't even thing Slocum would have even come. She already went that route and decided she wants to play her way.

Ironically she is more effective offensively operating in a team offensive flow than attempting to constantly create her own shot. Had she continued to play the way she did the first part of the season her draft stock would have been much higher. The reason it went down was that the offense was not efficient. This was mostly because she and Pivec were not really good on the floor together. Last year they both operated much more effectively when one of them was not on the floor. They are both too similar in that each wants to create of the dribble and so between the two they dominated the ball entirely too much. Neither shot a lot of attempts, they just ate time dribbling. With them on the floor together no other guard or perimeter player seldom saw the ball.

Her going to a school that will allow her freelance is not in her long term best interest. She might get more notice by putting up more points, but her game as a scoring option will not translate to the next level. She has to make it as a point guard and now is the time to learn to be a distributor. There are just too many players in the WNBA with her athletic abilities. Speed and quickness will be less of an asset, you also need BBIQ if you want to make it at that position. You also need to learn to play off the ball.
Adriacus Peratuun
Rumblings that, depending on Spring grades, 2 more High Impact players may be entering the portal as Grad Transfers this Summer. Type of players that can reshape the landscape at the top of the rankings.

Also, on a semi-related note, one prominent AAU coach is predicting that "if the one time transfer rule is passed early this Summer", expect as many as 60-100 immediate D1 transfers [on only the women's side, he expects double to triple that number on the men's side]. Was really shocked at the high number. Apparently, most of the volume is players wanting to transfer but not wanting to redshirt but some volume is coaches not wanting to tie up a scholarship for 2 years to get 1 playing year [or 3 to get 2]. This coach is well connected, likes the concept of the rule change, but thinks that it will create chaos this Summer. FYI, he told me that every year he has hundreds of "are your former players happy at their current schools?" conversations with coaches [mens and womens]. If the one time transfer rule is adopted, he expects that number of conversations to grow exponentially.

We live in interesting times.
setshot
Some outstanding posts on this board. But where has "skilledup" gone. I miss his inside knowledge and the insights he brought to us, though the continued excellence of some of the current posters and the addition of Adriacus has been much appreciated.
setshot
note:
I should not have assumed that skilledup is a he, when that excellent poster might well have been a she.

We have several female posters who bring great insight to their analysis of the women's game, and there is no question that the loyalty of women fans to the Lady Bear program has been a major element in the success that it has consistently displayed in the Kim Mulkey era.

I met a fan at the Stanford game last year whose knowledge of the game and particularly of the Lady Bear program would rival that of anyone I have encountered, whether in person or on this board. I know that she comes here regularly, and to the men's board as well, but I don't think that she posts much, if at all. I don't know if she ever played the game, but the depth and breadth of her knowledge and understanding of it is altogether impressive.

I apologize for the assumption I made in the previous post. But the question that vexes me is still, "Where is
Heart
I've been wishing for skilledup as well
BaylorBearWBBFan
Appears Coach Kim Mulkey is in pursuit of another transfer guard: Taylor Mikesell, a 5-11 three point shooting guard who is transferring from Maryland.
Baylorkid
That would be a good get! Would fill the void left by juicy
setshot
It would be a great addition to the Lady Bear arsenal, as Mikesell once scored 60 points in high school which included 14 of 17 from three point range. She set the single season record as a frosh at Maryland with 95 three point shots, was All Conference and Freshman of the Year two years ago. Her three point average there was over 43% and her free throw percentage was slightly better than 88%. I think that it is safe to say that she would be right at the top of outside shooters in the history of the program the day that she stepped on campus. She would fill a need that most of us associate with the departure of both Landrum and Cooper.

Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.