Lady Bears vs. OSU Game Thread

7,123 Views | 114 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Eball
Eball
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So DiDi ran the point and had 11 assists and only I turnover playing 33 minutes but in your opinion she and offense was terrible?
Adriacus Peratuun
The team scored 70. Almost 1/2 of that total was tradition buckets. The half court offense averaged less than 10 points per quarter.

That average is poor. It is possible to break offensive performance down into the constituent sub parts and evaluate each part individually.
Eball
Adriacus Peratuun said:

The team scored 70. Almost 1/2 of that total was tradition buckets. The half court offense averaged less than 10 points per quarter.

That average is poor. It is possible to break offensive performance down into the constituent sub parts and evaluate each part individually.
so do you consider OSU a good team and did they play good defense at times? did we not just miss some shots we usually make? Did Didi do a good job at point? anyone you think available to play better than Didi? if so who would that be?
Chibears2
Besides which, transition buckets ARE a part of the game. Can't just pull out that offense so you can say what's left sucks. And everyone of those transition buckets replaces an opportunity for half court offense, so who knows how those opportunities play out? You can't just automatically apply the percentage of efficient half court possessions as they stand and assume we'd still struggle. The more a team runs offense against a defense, the more clear the defensive approach becomes and the better the coaching staff can break down the defense and develop some strategies for attacking its weaknesses. It is obvious we are not an offensive machine in the offensive half court, but neither are we as sucky as your posts seem to imply. (And yes, sometimes numbers DO lie!). And if we can score running a transition basket down the opponent's throat, I'll chose to celebrate it. Demoralizes the opponent, saps their energy, and can't defense against it...opponents have to change their offensive approach, and that impacts them mentally and execution-wise and disrupts the flow. A deadly trickle down effect.
Bruingirl
Queen seems to be working on her block techniques. I didn't notice any Lauren Cox windmill style block attempts last night. Those result in a foul for Queen more often than not.
Can't it just be game time already?
Adriacus Peratuun
Eball said:

Adriacus Peratuun said:

so do you consider OSU a good team and did they play good defense at times? did we not just miss some shots we usually make? Did Didi do a good job at point? anyone you think available to play better than Didi? if so who would that be?
OSU is an adequate D team. They did what every team does against Baylor WBB in half court, they play zone or sagging man and clog the paint. Didi was good given how the D schemed. But the point is that the D is able to scheme to leave her alone at the top. Watch where her defender closes on her......FT line extended.
Adriacus Peratuun
Chibears2 said:

Besides which, transition buckets ARE a part of the game. Can't just pull out that offense so you can say what's left sucks. And everyone of those transition buckets replaces an opportunity for half court offense, so who knows how those opportunities play out? You can't just automatically apply the percentage of efficient half court possessions as they stand and assume we'd still struggle. The more a team runs offense against a defense, the more clear the defensive approach becomes and the better the coaching staff can break down the defense and develop some strategies for attacking its weaknesses. It is obvious we are not an offensive machine in the offensive half court, but neither are we as sucky as your posts seem to imply. (And yes, sometimes numbers DO lie!). And if we can score running a transition basket down the opponent's throat, I'll chose to celebrate it. Demoralizes the opponent, saps their energy, and can't defense against it...opponents have to change their offensive approach, and that impacts them mentally and execution-wise and disrupts the flow. A deadly trickle down effect.
Well.......yes you can. Every single NBA team tracks efficiency at the most minute levels. Transition [left, right, middle], secondary transition, half court O is every single set, every shot from every spot on the floor by every player in every action, etc. Every player receives numerical grades on every aspect of their game, on every shot from every spot on the floor, on every O "recognition". Players are instructed which shots they are "allowed" to take given the shot clock. That is why you see players take a shot at 5 on the shot clock and pass up the exact same shot minutes later when the shot clock is at 18.

Championship teams don't fixate on their strengths but on fixing their weaknesses. Half Court O is this team's weakness.

Ask Coach Mulkey how poor Half Court O limits a team's Tourney path when pushed into a half court efficiency game [see two Oregon St. Elite 8 matchups]. Teams can take away transition by slowing the game, avoiding live ball turnovers, automatically rotating at least 3 [or 4] back on transition D, etc.

Teams that lose unexpectedly do so due to holes in their games [inability to handle full court pressure, inability to execute in an efficiency game, etc.]. Fortunately [or unfortunately depending on perspective], everyone in WBB knows Baylor WBB's weakness. Either it gets fixed or the team gets bounced the 2nd Weekend of the Tourney.
blueeyedbear
Adriacus Peratuun said:

Chibears2 said:

Well.......yes you can. Every single NBA team tracks efficiency at the most minute levels. Transition [left, right, middle], secondary transition, half court O is every single set, every shot from every spot on the floor by every player in every action, etc. Every player receives numerical grades on every aspect of their game, on every shot from every spot on the floor, on every O "recognition". Players are instructed which shots they are "allowed" to take given the shot clock. That is why you see players take a shot at 5 on the shot clock and pass up the exact same shot minutes later when the shot clock is at 18.

Championship teams don't fixate on their strengths but on fixing their weaknesses. Half Court O is this team's weakness.

Ask Coach Mulkey how poor Half Court O limits a team's Tourney path when pushed into a half court efficiency game [see two Oregon St. Elite 8 matchups]. Teams can take away transition by slowing the game, avoiding live ball turnovers, automatically rotating at least 3 [or 4] back on transition D, etc.

Teams that lose unexpectedly do so due to holes in their games [inability to handle full court pressure, inability to execute in an efficiency game, etc.]. Fortunately [or unfortunately depending on perspective], everyone in WBB knows Baylor WBB's weakness. Either it gets fixed or the team gets bounced the 2nd Weekend of the Tourney.
Your not going to get those easy transition buckets in the sweet 16, elite 8 or final 4. If that is a high % of your offense and your half court game stalls or is stimmed by the oppositions defensive adjustments because your point guard cannot create ......what are you gonna do ??? WATCH THE NEXT ROUND ON TV most likely
Eball
Adriacus Peratuun said:

Eball said:

Adriacus Peratuun said:

OSU is an adequate D team. They did what every team does against Baylor WBB in half court, they play zone or sagging man and clog the paint. Didi was good given how the D schemed. But the point is that the D is able to scheme to leave her alone at the top. Watch where her defender closes on her......FT line extended.
I definitely wish DiDi had more range on her shots...I just get frustrated with the sometimes overly harsh criticism of her efforts running the point at a hall of fame coaches direction...This is certainly not the first time we have had a point guard who was not a shooter per se...while we have some possibilities of some who could shoot the 3 they are young inexperienced and may or may not cause us defensive and TO issues. I trust Kim that she knows best and I just think DiDi has done remarkably well...whether we win it all or just win conference again and make it a few rounds that still is pretty darn good....we are all so spoiled to expect a National Championship every year....
Adriacus Peratuun
Eball said:

Adriacus Peratuun said:

Eball said:

Adriacus Peratuun said:

I definitely wish DiDi had more range on her shots...I just get frustrated with the sometimes overly harsh criticism of her efforts running the point at a hall of fame coaches direction...This is certainly not the first time we have had a point guard who was not a shooter per se...while we have some possibilities of some who could shoot the 3 they are young inexperienced and may or may not cause us defensive and TO issues. I trust Kim that she knows best and I just think DiDi has done remarkably well...whether we win it all or just win conference again and make it a few rounds that still is pretty darn good....we are all so spoiled to expect a National Championship every year....
I don't think the criticism has been overly harsh. Actually, I think it has been quite civil and balanced by the vast majority of folks.

Not the first time.......and those teams were all bounced the 2nd weekend.

Spoiled......if the team didn't have the talent to compete for a NC, that label "might" apply. But the team is among the top tier: UConn, Stanford, South Carolina, NC St., Maryland, & Baylor. Any of those teams can win the NC. Wanting Baylor to take the necessary steps to maximize production and minimize deficiencies isn't being spoiled, it is being a true fan. UConn fans complain about defense, rebounding, secondary scorer. Stanford fans complain about consistency. South Carolina fans complain about half court scoring and outside shooting [sound familiar?], NC St. fans complain about D rotations and consistency, Maryland fans complain about everything. Baylor might win despite its problems but message boards exist for the very purpose of discussing the ups & downs of the teams people support.

Being upset by legitimate analysis because you "trust the coach" doesn't mean that other folks are not entitled to express their viewpoints. Labeling people as "spoiled" for doing so reflects badly on you.

Most of us want the team to do its best.....if that is B12 Champs & Elite 8.....fine. But this team has [IMHO] the ability to do more this year if it evolves. This is the most wide open year in WBB since the 90s. Why not do more?

Eball
I do know we both believe we can win it all this year. Even though on paper we may not be as a strong as our team has been the last 3-4 years? It is wide open. Having a point with limited shooting range is not as critical as the lack of a really dominant post presence of the Cox Brown Griner variety in my opinion. I did say we are spoiled not you or others but we. As Kim says it is all about feeding the monster. The thing about it being wide open is after first two rounds it is very possible for us to win or lose. In years past it just was an upset if we did not make it to final 4. This year should be fun because the unexpected could happen. I am hoping for positive results.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.