Baylor Women's Basketball

The first words from Nicki Collen to the Baylor Lady Bears

May 4, 2021

New Baylor women's basketball head coach Nicki Collen met with her new team on Tuesday for the first time. Hear what she had in this clip from the official Baylor Athletics social media account. 

Discussion from...

The first words from Nicki Collen to the Baylor Lady Bears

25,019 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Olympia3
susiewhite1109
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Interesting point about parity and Geno not winning for 5 years. In truth, we don't know yet what Nicki won't or will do. No reason to be overly negative or Pollyanna either. Let's just wait and see. After listening to tons of her former colleagues and bosses, I am impressed with what they have to say. Perhaps she has more to offer than we think. I was terribly disappointed about Kim leaving, but Kim is not the only Coach capable of winning in WBB. #SicEm
Edmond Bear
Caddywampus said:

When it comes to the hiring of coaches, here's what you have to ask yourself. It's not who hired them that matters. What matters is who did NOT hire them when they had the chance. Now what big schools in the last 3 years have had to replace their head coach in WBB? Texas...Oklahoma...LSU...Miss. St...Notre Dame. And a number of other prominent big programs that have money and want to win. So ask yourself this question. Why now? Why when Baylor need a new HC in WBB was Nicki Collen even available? She should have been gone. The coaching search firms know every coach, everywhere. And all of a sudden Nicki Collen can coach women's college basketball and win? Be careful what you listen to from the sunshine pumpers and cheerleaders who benefit from this hire. They have a reason to pour sugar on this hire. Eventually it all gets settled on the hardwood.

Caddy, you've let your emotion at Mulkey leaving cloud your thinking.

Who didn't hire someone? That is plain stupid.

Colleges passed on Mulkey 20 years ago. And, passed on Drew later.

Hell, your logic says that any coach that we call great now would not go on to be great because some colleges did not hire them.

Greenbear
Caddywampus said:

Yes. There are a few people on this board that need to go over to the Baylor WBB trophy case and stare at it. Because I have news for them. That was not a ghost that brought those trophies home. Now you can put them anywhere you want. In the new arena or in a closet. But that truck load of metal you see belongs to Kim Mulkey and her girls that she brought to Baylor. And you better strap in for what is to come. Because Elvis just left the building. And bringing in a back-up band to fill in for him ain't gonna get it. I hope you enjoyed it while it was here.
What a great run and no one will ever forget, but she left us. Mulkey walked out the door and took her big old self to another school instead of Baylor. I did enjoy it while she was here, but she isn't here because she chose to leave. GOI (get over it). I will remember the great times and I will remember she left.

Next up. Baylor doesn't need to rise from the ashes. We never burned anything down. Watch. We won't be the same and some of you will highlight that every chance you get, but others will recognize it is time to get on a new train bound for a new location that I hope I enjoy just as much as I did in the past under another coach that from here on our will remain nameless since she chose to coach for another school instead of the one I support, Baylor..
Greenbear
Caddywampus said:

When it comes to the hiring of coaches, here's what you have to ask yourself. It's not who hired them that matters. What matters is who did NOT hire them when they had the chance. Now what big schools in the last 3 years have had to replace their head coach in WBB? Texas...Oklahoma...LSU...Miss. St...Notre Dame. And a number of other prominent big programs that have money and want to win. So ask yourself this question. Why now? Why when Baylor need a new HC in WBB was Nicki Collen even available? She should have been gone. The coaching search firms know every coach, everywhere. And all of a sudden Nicki Collen can coach women's college basketball and win? Be careful what you listen to from the sunshine pumpers and cheerleaders who benefit from this hire. They have a reason to pour sugar on this hire. Eventually it all gets settled on the hardwood.
There are just so many reasons why coaches are hired or not hired. Not being able to coach is not one of her challenges. Pretending you know things that you don't is dangerous. It is speculation. Maybe she wasn't ready to move for family reasons. Maybe she never had ANY interest in moving or coaching in college until the best WBB program in the nation opened up and it was a school where she can openly talk about her faith. Maybe she is tired of fighting some of social causes of the WBNA. Maybe her family wasn't ready for a move any earlier. God works in mysterious ways as He showed me in my life yesterday.

Stop acting like she was not a great choice to lead our WBB program. She is not Kim Mulkey, but she has a great resume, is young, family oriented, faith-based and can flat out coach. She has received coaching recognition and is inheriting some talent to go along with some women she will bring in on her own. Shut the door on Kim and all she did. She is gone. She is a memory. Make it a distant one and support our new coach.
Baylorbeargirl5
Not sure Moon has decided:

Her twitter says, "don't stress Moon, God got it"
Method Man
Caddywampus said:

Caddy,

Baylor University won the 2005, 2012, and 2019 National Titles, not just Coach Mulkey.

We are a powerhouse. Mulkey isn't the only coach that can win here.

I'm impressed with the hire, and I think Coach Collen will accomplish big things at Baylor University.
blackie
Baylorbeargirl5 said:

I'm thinking that her decision is first whether to play, more so than where to play. I know even before the season ended there was talk that she wasn't coming back in order to focus on her career goals.
Goldigger
BBWCBear said:

Goldigger said:

BBWCBear said:

blackie said:

Bear2393 said:

Yep, we will never compete and win again like we did with Kim.
It is the nature of how the game and parity has evolved. I doubt Kim will again win like she did. That's just the way it is now. Geno has not won a championship for 5 years in a row. Time marches on.

Valid point. He's not getting any younger and he too will leave the game at some point. Another university will go thru this as well.

I wish Collen the best, but my gut tells me things may not be what we've come to enjoy and expect. That's not to say she won't be successful in her on right.
This is pure gobbly gook. If she is going to "be successful in her on right" what the hell is it that your saying here? You negative a$$ people are just brainlessly typing the dumbest things the last two days.
C'mon Man! (My best dementia Joe) If someone doesn't follow your narrative they're negative. I was responding to Blackie's point on how things change plus the fact who else has the credentials of Summit, Geno, and Mulkey? Sure, Collen can be successful; however, she's got a lot of hurdles to overcome which have already been mentioned on other threads, posts. IF she gets a HOT start maybe the next twenty years, she's forty-five, could culminate into a Summit, Geno, Mulkey type history. The "roll" drops off dramatically after the three mentioned. I guess there is always a possibility another SABAN is juuuust waiting to explode somewhere. I got a feeling who follows him will "be successful in their on right".
No. Just no.
allstate2000
susiewhite1109 said:

Interesting point about parity and Geno not winning for 5 years. In truth, we don't know yet what Nicki won't or will do. No reason to be overly negative or Pollyanna either. Let's just wait and see. After listening to tons of her former colleagues and bosses, I am impressed with what they have to say. Perhaps she has more to offer than we think. I was terribly disappointed about Kim leaving, but Kim is not the only Coach capable of winning in WBB. #SicEm
I hate Geno but UConn's exile from the Big East has been part of their issue as of late. I suspect/fear they will be more dominant upon their return.
allstate2000
blackie said:

Baylorbeargirl5 said:

I'm thinking that her decision is first whether to play, more so than where to play. I know even before the season ended there was talk that she wasn't coming back in order to focus on her career goals.
I hope folks in some of Baylor's many healthcare-related master's degrees programs are reaching out to Moon.
THOMAS A

SIC EM !
Olympia3
Looks like she doesn't want to stick around in her last year with a rebuild.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.