What the new Modern Offense means, What it takes to install

18,747 Views | 114 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Brusinbear2001
SSadler
How long do you want to ignore this user?
slimecap said:

Brian Ethridge said:

The portion of her offense I appreciate is the horns and also the screening game to get mismatches and open shooters. Smith in this offense will need to shoot free throws as she'll be fouled a ton. Egbo will slip screens and get easy buckets. Run Bickle off a pick and roll for a spot up 3. Much different than the past.
Brian, Appreciate the breakdown by each player. Thanks !
Smith, Egbo, and Bickle on the court at the same time is quite a fun idea to consider.
ScottS
More dunking or less in the modern offense?
blackie
robby44 said:

In just the past 2 seasons BU was ranked 5th nationally in scoring offense at 87.8 and 81.8 points per game.
It's going to be real hard to improve on that
To be fair, a major reason for that was our usual poor non-conference schedule with too many sisters of the poor and a conference that got little respect from anyone. The latter having something to do with the string of Bix XII championships. With Texas going down after Jody stepped down and OU going in the tank, there was little competition except for an occasional stronger WV team. How many weeks was Baylor the only Big XII team in the top 25? The conference was arguably the weakest of the Power 5, sometimes considerably weaker.

Really bad statistic to prove anything. We missed out on some Final Fours because our offense couldn't hold up their end of the bargain....often times because we insisted of trying to "get the ball to Griner (or whoever else was inside)" to the extent of throwing into traffic resulting in a turnover, when there were open shots no further than from the circle.

IMO, what we can improve on is a more consistent offense, and one where the defense can't collapse on one or two players. That was the beauty of the men's team the last few years.
Adriacus Peratuun
blackie said:

robby44 said:

In just the past 2 seasons BU was ranked 5th nationally in scoring offense at 87.8 and 81.8 points per game.
It's going to be real hard to improve on that
To be fair, a major reason for that was our usual poor non-conference schedule with too many sisters of the poor and a conference that got little respect from anyone. The latter having something to do with the string of Bix XII championships. With Texas going down after Jody stepped down and OU going in the tank, there was little competition except for an occasional stronger WV team. How many weeks was Baylor the only Big XII team in the top 25? The conference was arguably the weakest of the Power 5, sometimes considerably weaker.

Really bad statistic to prove anything. We missed out on some Final Fours because our offense couldn't hold up their end of the bargain....often times because we insisted of trying to "get the ball to Griner (or whoever else was inside)" to the extent of throwing into traffic resulting in a turnover, when there were open shots no further than from the circle.

IMO, what we can improve on is a more consistent offense, and one where the defense can't collapse on one or two players. That was the beauty of the men's team the last few years.
All of those points are correct. And add one more.......Baylor's starters played far more minutes than normal in blowouts. Still cringe when I think of injuries that possibly could have been avoided with a lesser workload [see attached starters minutes in a 26 point blowout that ended a regular season and basically ended the season altogether].

ABC BEAR
Why hasn't CNC been a big winner at any other place with this modern offense?
geewago
ABC BEAR said:

I don't think you're supposed to ask questions like this.
SSadler
Adriacus, you are normally spot on, and maybe we're looking at this through different lens, but find another game or two to make your case against KMulkey. The game you cite as example (vs. West Virginia) had reduced the available players to only 6, and then the Wallace injury. See game notes below for why only 5 players received all minutes after the KWallace injury (10 minutes in to the game). This game is NOT a norm. Your post is special pleading. You're better than this.

"There was a lot of emotion," said Mulkey, whose team won its 25th game in a row. "The culmination of an undefeated (conference) season, third in the history of the program; playing only five players tonight; disciplining two freshmen for very minor violations, things that other coaches would never discipline for. But, if you don't teach them a lesson early, you lose them. And then Kristy Wallace. To think what this program and this team has done, not for ourselves but for this university."

With freshman guard Trinity Oliver out with an ACL injury, sophomore guard Natalie Chou sidelined with a wrist injury and freshman guards Alexis Morris and Didi Richards suspended for violation of a team policy, the Lady Bears went into the game with basically six available players. That number went down to five when Wallace went out on the first play of the second quarter.
Kalani Brown, Lauren Cox and Juicy Landrum played all 40 minutes, never leaving the floor; freshman guard Moon Ursin logged a career-high 30 minutes and didn't leave after replacing Wallace; and senior Dekeiya Cohen was replaced with just 29.9 seconds left by Chou, who was cleared to play Monday and had her left hand heavily bandaged around a hard cast.

Adriacus Peratuun
SSadler said:

Adriacus, you are normally spot on, and maybe we're looking at this through different lens, but find another game or two to make your case against KMulkey. The game you cite as example (vs. West Virginia) had reduced the available players to only 6, and then the Wallace injury. See game notes below for why only 5 players received all minutes after the KWallace injury (10 minutes in to the game). This game is NOT a norm. Your post is special pleading. You're better than this.

"There was a lot of emotion," said Mulkey, whose team won its 25th game in a row. "The culmination of an undefeated (conference) season, third in the history of the program; playing only five players tonight; disciplining two freshmen for very minor violations, things that other coaches would never discipline for. But, if you don't teach them a lesson early, you lose them. And then Kristy Wallace. To think what this program and this team has done, not for ourselves but for this university."

With freshman guard Trinity Oliver out with an ACL injury, sophomore guard Natalie Chou sidelined with a wrist injury and freshman guards Alexis Morris and Didi Richards suspended for violation of a team policy, the Lady Bears went into the game with basically six available players. That number went down to five when Wallace went out on the first play of the second quarter.
Kalani Brown, Lauren Cox and Juicy Landrum played all 40 minutes, never leaving the floor; freshman guard Moon Ursin logged a career-high 30 minutes and didn't leave after replacing Wallace; and senior Dekeiya Cohen was replaced with just 29.9 seconds left by Chou, who was cleared to play Monday and had her left hand heavily bandaged around a hard cast.

There are tons of examples.

Last regular season game of 19 championship team. Blowout win. Time to rest starters for a championship run. Look at the minutes for key starters.

baylorbear33
geewago said:

ABC BEAR said:

I don't think you're supposed to ask questions like this.

Hahaha. Yes, prepare to be ridiculed for such an insinuation by the 'it's all rainbows & unicorns' crowd.
Adriacus Peratuun
ABC BEAR said:

With even slight research you could find......

2017 as an Asst at Connecticut Sun won WNBA Championship with a modern offense
2018 as first year HC had best regular season record in WNBA East
2019 bad season...... because GM let 2 key reserves go and best player lost for season in Game #1
2020 bad season because best player lost in free agency and 3 next best players sat out due to BLM dispute

Or 2021 Baylor Men.......or basically every NCAA men's championship for the past 15 years

Or every non-Baylor NCAA women's championship of the last decade

Or every NBA or WNBA championship of the last two decades

But why do any research when the facts don't fit your views?
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Adriacus Peratuun said:

ABC BEAR said:

2019 bad season...... because GM let 2 key reserves go and best player lost for season in Game #1
2020 bad season because best player lost in free agency and 3 next best players with out due to BLM dispute

Or 2021 Baylor Men.......or basically every NCAA men's championship for the past 15 years

Going to be fun to see the new offense and how players want to play in it.
fredbear
AP and I don't always agree, but I have been harping all season that KM overplays starters. Frustrates bench, leads to injuries for starters, and leaves bench unprepared when you really need them. Our last game this season is textbook example of the problem. The girls come to a program to play, not watch starters stay on the floor once you are 30 up.. Ego can drive a coach to feel she has to BLOW OUT every team. I love KM, but the imbalance in playtime was obvious. And bench players were yanked for one mistake while starters were allowed play thru them. With the new rules that approach will lead to transfer portal nightmares for her team. Geno going to get hit by this too. Drew's play lots of players approach leads to balance, depth and the ability to win with multiple sets of players. Leads to healthy team dynamics as well. KM so overplayed starters that, thru the years, she has had to leave hobbling players on the court with injury because there was no other player set that could win.
SSadler
I have no need to defend, but KMulkey told us from the get go 21 years ago that she plays a 7-8 player rotation.

And there ARE examples of KMulkey pulling starters in blowouts. ONe of the biggest of those was Mulkey vs. the UT Karen Aston was historic. Not a bigger rivalry. K Aston was getting embarrassed in Waco in a blowout loss as were her starters so Aston waved a while flag, pulling some of her best so only her subs would have to take the on-court embarrassment. Mulkey checked and pulled starters and inserted a full 5 of subs. KAston put her starters back in to play against our subs to try to make the score look more reasonable for her critics in Austin. KMulkey moved to CheckMate and put her starters back in WHOM SHE HAD PULLED EARLY in the blowout (isn't that the purpose of Adriacus? to state examples of KMulkey not doing so?

We believe selectively from the selective data that backs us up. Let's find some other game to play instead of "dogpiling" vs. "tying to untangle the dogpile". This game is useless, and won't change any minds.

And as I acknowledged, sad to me because this one seems out of character for Adriacus, one of the finest posters on wbb we have. I just wish Adriacus, et al, would take one last dump on KMulkey and move on. You don't need such ex post facto arguments to establish your credibility--on our Board or the BoneYard.

But you shouldn't have free run on criticism either.
slimecap
SSadler said:

Let's find some other game to play instead of "dogpiling" vs. "tying to untangle the dogpile".
I like it ! Challenge accepted.

SATXBear
Adriacus Peratuun said:

ABC BEAR said:

2020 bad season because best player lost in free agency and 3 next best players sat out due to BLM dispute

Thanks for the info. Lots of big changes coming, so no surprise some players left. Only natural.
fredbear
Sadler,

No way to minimize what Kim has done. She was obviously one of the best coaches to ever lead a team. I would put her in the top 3 or 4 in the wbb category. But that does not mean she was flawless, nor is Geno. I wish BOTH sides would stop focusing on KIm. Have you noticed that anytime AP or someone else says anything hopeful about NC they get dog piled and told how great Kim is, how awful the AD is, and how NC never deserved the job. The jury on this board won't even give the new to coach a chance to hire her staff and unpack her packs before she is condemned. She needs 3 years to recruit and develop her own players before we draw major conclusions. And she hires Sophia Young and people complain? Of course, they didn't like her other hire either. I'm a huge Mulkey fan and didn't care what offense she ran as long as she was winning nearly 90 percent of the time. But it's ok to explore other possible offenses and hope NC remembers she has a Bench sitting behind her. And I can tell you with the easy out portal, the "play only seven method" will mean you have a half dozen great players and a ever rotating practice squad with little talent. Drew has shown a better way. In the national championship game, it didn't matter which inside player got into foul trouble, nor which guard was tired, just rotate the next one in seamlessly. The posters on the board, both sides, need to realize that Kim chose to leave for reasons that are less than clear and differing sides will interpret her move variously. But she left, we have a new coach and we need to give her the same support that we offered Kim. She deserves a chance. I have not heard her say a single negative word about Kim. She just wants a chance to do it her way, which is all anyone could ask. I'm going to give her that chance.
BUBBFAN
fredbear said:

Sadler,

No way to minimize what Kim has done. She was obviously one of the best coaches to ever lead a team. I would put her in the top 3 or 4 in the wbb category. But that does not mean she was flawless, nor is Geno. I wish BOTH sides would stop focusing on KIm. Have you noticed that anytime AP or someone else says anything hopeful about NC they get dog piled and told how great Kim is, how awful the AD is, and how NC never deserved the job. The jury on this board won't even give the new to coach a chance to hire her staff and unpack her packs before she is condemned. She needs 3 years to recruit and develop her own players before we draw major conclusions. And she hires Sophia Young and people complain? Of course, they didn't like her other hire either. I'm a huge Mulkey fan and didn't care what offense she ran as long as she was winning nearly 90 percent of the time. But it's ok to explore other possible offenses and hope NC remembers she has a Bench sitting behind her. And I can tell you with the easy out portal, the "play only seven method" will mean you have a half dozen great players and a ever rotating practice squad with little talent. Drew has shown a better way. In the national championship game, it didn't matter which inside player got into foul trouble, nor which guard was tired, just rotate the next one in seamlessly. The posters on the board, both sides, need to realize that Kim chose to leave for reasons that are less than clear and differing sides will interpret her move variously. But she left, we have a new coach and we need to give her the same support that we offered Kim. She deserves a chance. I have not heard her say a single negative word about Kim. She just wants a chance to do it her way, which is all anyone could ask. I'm going to give her that chance.
Me too
IowaBear
Here's what I don't get about this whole discussion. There's a small group on here preaching daily for us to "move on" and accept that coach Colleen is now BU's head coach. Almost everyone has and has openly said they're going to give Colleen a shot. Here's the kicker to all of this. The exact same crowd preaching to move and and support Coach Colleen is the exact same crowd spending endless hours on here taking a dump on Kim and attempting to de value all that she accomplished here. Just a hunch but maybe if that crowd would quit throwing stones at Kim's accomplishments everything would smooth over .
Valkyrie
I keep thinking that I'm going to be watching Iowa State women's basketball with Egbo and Smith inserted. Could be dominate.
geewago
Valkyrie said:

I keep thinking that I'm going to be watching Iowa State women's basketball with Egbo and Smith inserted. Could be dominate.
You make a great point. If Iowa ST would have had players in the paint the likes of Egbo & Smith, Griner & Pope, Young & Blackman, Brown & Cox etc. they would have dominated this league instead of Baylor.

But now we have "UPGRADED" the coaching. And the "NEW MODERN OFFENSE" will sweep us off our feet. I am a tad skeptical. But all the authorities especially on the premium side assure me this is the case. I anxiously await these results.
IowaBear
So we should expect both regular season/B12 titles yearly as well as F4 appearances yearly? Anything less is underachieving.
fredbear
That would be a very unrealistic and naive expectation until she has 3 years to recruit and develop players that fit her scheme.
IowaBear
Not if we "upgraded" our coaching Fred. Mulkey got BU rolling day 1. And Colleen takes over a MUCH MUCH more talented team then Mulkey inherited. So if we truly upgraded our coaching like some many premium members swear we did I see no reason not to expect a Natty in 2021/2022
SATXBear
geewago said:

Valkyrie said:

You make a great point. If Iowa ST would have had players in the paint the likes of Egbo & Smith, Griner & Pope, Young & Blackman, Brown & Cox etc. they would have dominated this league instead of Baylor.

But now we have "UPGRADED" the coaching. And the "NEW MODERN OFFENSE" will sweep us off our feet. I am a tad skeptical. But all the authorities especially on the premium side assure me this is the case. I anxiously await these results.

I have not read that anywhere.
SATXBear
IowaBear said:

Not if we "upgraded" our coaching Fred. Mulkey got BU rolling day 1. And Colleen takes over a MUCH MUCH more talented team then Mulkey inherited. So if we truly upgraded our coaching like some many premium members swear we did I see no reason not to expect a Natty in 2021/2022

Never read that either. Are you bitter?
IowaBear
Go look at Geewego's post stating the premium side is assuring everyone we upgraded. Bitter about what? I have nothing to be bitter about.
SATXBear
IowaBear said:

Go look at Geewego's post stating the premium side is assuring everyone we upgraded. Bitter about what? I have nothing to be bitter about.

You seem bitter that Kim left. I am disappointed, but not mad.

I have never read we upgraded. We lost a top three all time coach. You never replace that, just move on and do the best we can.
IowaBear
I'm not bitter at all. I'm annoyed that a select few keep piling on Kim as if she was a .500 coach at BU. But no I'm not bitter. I also find it laughable that certain posters act as though Kim underachieved and that Colleen is this huge upgrade. Like I've stated a million times as soon as the Kim bashing stops everyone will move on.
SATXBear
IowaBear said:

I'm not bitter at all. I'm annoyed that a select few keep piling on Kim as if she was a .500 coach at BU. But no I'm not bitter. I also find it laughable that certain posters act as though Kim underachieved and that Colleen is this huge upgrade. Like I've stated a million times as soon as the Kim bashing stops everyone will move on.

Maybe that was a few weeks ago, but I have not read those comments now. I have just read about the different coaching style coming in. Anyone who said Kim is a .500 coach is just trolling you and you fell for it hook, line, and sinker.
IowaBear
I didn't fall for anything. If you were here on this side often you'd know that. So you're calling Geewego a liar? Or what? He's one of a handful of premium guys who come over with credible info for those on the free side
SATXBear
IowaBear said:

I didn't fall for anything. If you were here on this side often you'd know that. So you're calling Geewego a liar? Or what? He's one of a handful of premium guys who come over with credible info for those on the free side

No liar. Just saying I have not read anything on this WBB site to that effect. On the premium site, it is more about the divorce and the feelings which were naturally hurt. I can only think of three posters out of 500 members that threw shade at her coaching ability. So no reason to get upset really.
Adriacus Peratuun
Synopsis:

1) thread started about new offensive philosophy and how it differs from other offensive philosophies including prior offensive philosophy.

2) Cult of Mulkey attempts to turn thread into yet another B&M thread.

3) Cult of Mulkey imports fights from other older threads.

4) Cult of Mulkey claims Mulkey bashing and blames others.

5) Laughably, Cult of Mulkey says that it is impossible to move on because of Mulkey bashing. Meanwhile they ignore that they were responsible for derailing a thread about offensive philosophies.

6) Cult of Mulkey tries passive aggressive "set unreasonable standards to measure success" gambit.

Simple Solution: when threads are not about Mulkey, don't make them about Mulkey.

IowaBear
I'm far from a "cult of Mulkey" or whatever dumb term you want use. However, I will call you out on your ridiculous dumb infatuation with degrading Kim's accomplishments yes you AP. You've started about half a mill posts trying to degrade Kim's achievements. Hell you even tried arguing against her being an elite coach. I can safely say I enjoy your basketball knowledge in general. But you're being a hypocrite about all of this as you've shown over and over again.
Adriacus Peratuun
IowaBear said:

I'm far from a "cult of Mulkey" or whatever dumb term you want use. However, I will call you out on your ridiculous dumb infatuation with degrading Kim's accomplishments yes you AP. You've started about half a mill posts trying to degrade Kim's achievements. Hell you even tried arguing against her being an elite coach. I can safely say I enjoy your basketball knowledge in general. But you're being a hypocrite about all of this as you've shown over and over again.
Use the Ignore button. We can talk basketball without offending you.
geewago
A thread was started on here less than 17 days ago about how we had upgraded in hiring NC. It's still on the front page. The new poster got 12 blues stars within 48 hrs. Some of ya'll have selective reading skills.

If the 7 players that currently remain stay put and a couple more are brought in from the portal just to provide rest for the starters this team should win the big 12 again. I would think any coach in the conference could take these 7 and add 2 or 3 more stable players to the cast and win with them. Especially Bill Fennely, Vic Schaefer, and Mike Carey. They comb the landscape looking for such quality players as are currently left here. Year 3 & 4 will be the proving ground with this new staff. Many experts assure us that we are now in better shape and things will start looking up once they establish their new system. Even HAMBONE (who is never wrong) is singing the praises and has suddenly become a WBB fan. Thus as I say, I anxiously await these more glorious days ahead.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.