Hearing Baylor in the mix/leads for transfer Lavender Briggs from Florida

29,575 Views | 190 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Wbbfan29
sicem45
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Take it for what its worth. Nicki is about to take this program to another level.
lookin4awin
Since the program has been elite for quite a while, what level are you predicting?
IowaBear
Must be predicting better then UCONN because BU was already at the top
sicem45
lookin4awin said:

Since the program has been elite for quite a while, what level are you predicting?
More frequent final fours. Kim did an amazing job and obviously among the top tier having three titles but she missed getting to the final four at times way too often considering the talent and teams she has had over the last decade.
lookin4awin
I guess you are pushing out the didn't beat AnM for the fourth time when Griner was a sophomore and the Louisville mauling when Griner was a senior. However, I think we should all recognize that a few of our prior teams probably went further than talent expectations. I will just throw out there the first national championship team that beat a stacked LSU team in the semi finals.

If Nicki has the winning percentage that our prior coach had (and I hope she does) I think we will all be happy. I am just not sure there is much room for a level above where we already were.
baylor1984
If CNC can take us to another level then we'll all be deliriously happy.
DFW Bill
Lavender Biggs, a 6'1" Shooting Guard averaged 19.2 points per game for a Florida Gator team that went 12-14 last season. She hit 40% on FG, 32% from the 3 point line, 65% on FT. Had 46 assists and 40 turnovers. Doesn't sound like Chloe Jackson, Tea Copper or D Carrington to me. Is this the new normal?
Brian Ethridge
Staff
DFW Bill said:

Lavender Biggs, a 6'1" Shooting Guard averaged 19.2 points per game for a Florida Gator team that went 12-14 last season. She hit 40% on FG, 32% from the 3 point line, 65% on FT. Had 46 assists and 40 turnovers. Doesn't sound like Chloe Jackson, Tea Copper or D Carrington to me. Is this the new normal?
What did Chloe, Te'a, and Carrington shoot from 3?
lookin4awin
Not sure Chloe ever took a 3 point shot, but she was money in the bank with the mid range jumper.

If Biggs does come and performs as well as any of those three-it is a success story.
baylor1984
Brian Ethridge said:

DFW Bill said:

Chloe hit 47 % from the field and 73 % from the FT line. She only attempted 5 3's the whole year.
Tea hit 43.8 % from the field , 41.5 % from 3 and 73% from the FT line.
Carrington hit 42.6 from the field 28.5 from 3 and 72.3 from the FT line.

Chloe 5.3 assists to 2.1 turnovers
Tea 4.6 assists to 2.4 turnovers
Carrington 2.3 assists to 2.6 turnovers

Bill is correct in his assessment. Doesn't mean the young lady can't be a meaningful contributor to the Lady Bear program. All of us fans need to quit comparing every little thing to KM because that's a damn high standard to meet.
DFW Bill
Brian Ethridge said:

DFW Bill said:

Biggs is a volume shooter that has a low percentage from all three ranges. I'm sure the modern offensive scheme will turn her into a scoring machine.

Chloe helped us win a NC, Te'a got cut off on the runway in Waco on the way to a nice run to probably the Final 4, Carrington without the bad call against UConn would have had us in the Final 4. Where will Biggs take us? I'm open to see how it works out.

Looking forward to your interviews with the soon to be 8th and 9th graders on what college they will attend.

We all hope, yes hope, the new staff is as good as the cool-aid some are drinking.

I'm not a CNC hater, just a patient fan.
Lynnp550
I agree with your assessment 100%. With BG and O there should have been at least two Nattys and I'm likely being conservative. I think the world of Kim Mulkey and her leaving took quite awhile to get past so this isn't a slam on her program, just an opinion.
Bearprof
Not really sure what all of the pissing matches are about.

So...in review...

Mulkey left on her own accord. No one forced her out.

Mulkey did a fantastic job as Head Coach.

Collen seems to be making some inroads in recruiting, but it will take a while to see how that shakes out.

Possibly having Briggs on the team would be a good thing since the Lady Bears have about 9 players or so.

lookin4awin
As often is the case, the discussion is framed by the opening post.
BUatbirth
I'd be happy to get her. She is a quality player with 2 years remaining. CNC won't use a scholarship on someone to just fill a bench seat.
Lynnp550
Didn't realize it was a pissing match. I thought we were all just sharing thoughts.

Out of high school, ESPN had then-5'11" Briggs as a 5-star 96. She was leading scorer for UF, had a foot injury early this year, missed the rest of the season. Sure hope we get her.
DanaDane
1. Is there an anticipated announcement date?

2. Since this transfer would be after July 1st, she would have to sit a year or is there some other loophole that would allow her to play for us this year?
DFW Bill
DanaDane said:

2. Since this transfer would be after July 1st, she would have to sit a year or is there some other loophole that would allow her to play for us this year?
There is a possible loophole if the Head Coach is gone for any reason. There are rumors, no facts as yet about the current Coach.

She could possibly play the next two years for the Lady Bears.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
DFW Bill said:

Brian Ethridge said:

DFW Bill said:

Biggs is a volume shooter that has a low percentage from all three ranges. I'm sure the modern offensive scheme will turn her into a scoring machine.

Chloe helped us win a NC, Te'a got cut off on the runway in Waco on the way to a nice run to probably the Final 4, Carrington without the bad call against UConn would have had us in the Final 4. Where will Biggs take us? I'm open to see how it works out.

Looking forward to your interviews with the soon to be 8th and 9th graders on what college they will attend.

We all hope, yes hope, the new staff is as good as the cool-aid some are drinking.

8th and 9th graders?

I have done one interview below 2023. Doing several with 2022s.
BUBBFAN
DanaDane said:

Possible coaching change at Florida?
Brian Ethridge
Staff
baylor1984 said:

Brian Ethridge said:

DFW Bill said:

Chloe hit 47 % from the field and 73 % from the FT line. She only attempted 5 3's the whole year.

Bill is correct in his assessment. Doesn't mean the young lady can't be a meaningful contributor to the Lady Bear program. All of us fans need to quit comparing every little thing to KM because that's a damn high standard to meet.

So, this player shoots better from 3 than Carrington and McDaniel and it is a bad possible pick up?

Some have some serious piss in their wheaties.

I haven't heard her coming to BU, but not sure why a 6-1 guard hitting that from 3 is a bad deal as she was the likely 1st option, like McDaniel and forced into shots she had to take versus wanting to take.
BUatbirth
DFW Bill said:

Brian Ethridge said:

DFW Bill said:

We all know that transfers are a part of the landscape today. Not every transfer that is brought in is expected to be the second coming of the three mentioned. Biggs is a good player that would add quality depth to our team. If a player won't add to the team, by CNCs own account, she won't pursue her. I believe at this point it's all rumor anyway.
3rdgenbear
lookin4awin said:

As often is the case, the discussion is framed by the opening post.

CKM hate and/or disrespect calls for CKM defense by those us that realize how good we had it.

If CNC had 3/4 of the results of CKM, I would be very happy. Imagine any of our sports winning the BIG12 even 50% of the time.

Hope this possible recruit works out. Some depth would be great.
baylor1984
Brian Ethridge said:

baylor1984 said:

Brian Ethridge said:

DFW Bill said:

So, this player shoots better from 3 than Carrington and McDaniel and it is a bad possible pick up?

I haven't heard her coming to BU, but not sure why a 6-1 guard hitting that from 3 is a bad deal as she was the likely 1st option, like McDaniel and forced into shots she had to take versus wanting to take.

I do prefer my Wheaties without the piss in them. I think her stats are on the same level as DC and KM but not quite what Chloe or Tea's was. She's a take as far as I'm concerned and hope she becomes a Lady Bear. Really not sure and I think this was part of Bill's point is that she probably doesn't take this program to another level and just from the stats isn't quite on the level of some ( not all) of the transfers we've had in the past. I'd be very happy if she becomes a Lady Bear.
blueeyedbear
Brian Ethridge said:

baylor1984 said:

Brian Ethridge said:

DFW Bill said:

Stats are ONE measure of what kind of recruit/player someone is. There are other more important factors that give more insight if a recruit will help your program. What is her personality ? Is she a team player like Jackson or a me, me, me player like Kennedy Carter ? Is she a volume shooter out of necessity because of lack of talent on a 500 team or is she a selfish ball hog ? Will being surrounded by more talented players turn her into a quality shooter ? Is she willing to accept a new role with a new team ?
Too learn these things you wont find them on a stat sheet....you have to see the recruit/player in a game situation, you have to talk to her and get to know her mindset, priorities and goals.
I have seen her play in person twice and three videos. My observations ....very impressive young lady
1. She is an ATHLETE....she can run the floor like Smith !
2. She has very quick hands and her eye hand reaction is as fast as I have seen on a women's player
3. She seems to have a Melissa Jones like knack for being around the ball
4. She has a knack for corralling offensive rebounds.... and when she grabs one 9 out of 10 times its going in for a put back. either a short jumper, drive to the basket or tip in.
5. She has very good ball handling skills for 6'1'
6. She has a Jackson like midrange shot but she also has excellent range on her 3 ball,,,top of key, corners, wings and if defender gets too close guarding her its see ya later for a midrange or a layup. I never saw her set up on a particular spot .... all the shots came from motion...make her very hard to prepare for and guard..
7. She has excellent very efficient shooting form from 3 and midrange and her driving scoop shot is fun to see.
8. She played a lot of minutes at Florida ...she wont have to here (if she comes here) and I expect her numbers will improve for all you stat worshipers.
9. She has the total offensive skill set. Amazing when you consider her mother was her only coach until Florida. Good job mom but I still see a lot of upside and that's my biggest like about her
10.She played hurt at Florida for a while

As far as assist to turnover ratio - looks suspect true .... but we have PG covered do not need her for that we need her for playing at the 3/4 and rebounding, put backs, breaking up passes in the paint, open 3's and fast break opportunities..
Admittedly her defense will be a work in progress to reach BU WBB standards but refer back to #1 she is an ATHLETE !!! Defense was never prioritized to her before. It will come.

Don't read too much into this folks but after the Arkansas game I was able to congratulate her on her 40+ point performance and when she saw by BU hat she remarked "Oh your from Baylor" I told her Yes I went to Baylor and I wished you would have considered Baylor we sure could have used you a couple of weeks ago . She laughed and said "maybe I should have"

Bottom line she is not a fill in 10th player should she come - she is a baller and she can be a big part of a really special season

Dcheetah
Just looked up some info on Lavender and our LBs.

She was freshman team All SEC frosh yr and All SEC 2nd team her 2nd yr before getting injured.

In SEC play her 2nd yr avgd 21.8ppg before injuring her foot.
She started 47 of 48 games and was her teams #1 scoring option (often drawing teams best defender)

Versus top SEC teams her 2nd yr:
V. USCe: 38min, 23pts, 6rb,3asst
V. ARK: 39 min, 41 pts, 4rb, 0asst
V. Alabama: can't find data from second year the first year 21 points on 8 of 15 shooting - FYI Jordan Lewis had 16pts and 6asst
V. A&M: 39 min, 19 pts, 8rb, 1asst
V. UTenn: 38min, 23pts, 9rb,2asst
V. LSU: ?min, 21 pts, 10rbs, 0asst
She agreed 35 min for season before injury

She had good games vs. all top SEC teams despite being primary focus of teams playing Florida. She is obviously a good scorer and rebounder. Needs to get more pts at free throw line. Her team was not good and lost almost all SEC games so she was not surrounded by good players to make the game easier and increase shooting percentages.

Now, instead of looking at Chloe Jackson's and T'ea Cooper's Baylor numbers, instead look at their numbers from year before they transferred to Baylor.

Chloe 2017-18 LSU: 44% FG%, 27% 3ptavg, 78%FTA, 4.7rb,, 2.3asst

T'ea 2018-19 USCe: 43%FG%, 29% 3ptavg, 76%FTA, 2.5rb/g, 2.2asst

As you can see, Lavender seems very comparable and could actually play 3yrs if she takes her Covid yr. I would be delighted if she joined the team.
fredbear
Very helpful
Brian Ethridge
Staff
blueeyedbear said:

Brian Ethridge said:

baylor1984 said:

Brian Ethridge said:

DFW Bill said:

Stats are ONE measure of what kind of recruit/player someone is. There are other more important factors that give more insight if a recruit will help your program. What is her personality ? Is she a team player like Jackson or a me, me, me player like Kennedy Carter ? Is she a volume shooter out of necessity because of lack of talent on a 500 team or is she a selfish ball hog ? Will being surrounded by more talented players turn her into a quality shooter ? Is she willing to accept a new role with a new team ?
Too learn these things you wont find them on a stat sheet....you have to see the recruit/player in a game situation, you have to talk to her and get to know her mindset, priorities and goals.
I have seen her play in person twice and three videos. My observations ....very impressive young lady
1. She is an ATHLETE....she can run the floor like Smith !
2. She has very quick hands and her eye hand reaction is as fast as I have seen on a women's player
3. She seems to have a Melissa Jones like knack for being around the ball
4. She has a knack for corralling offensive rebounds.... and when she grabs one 9 out of 10 times its going in for a put back. either a short jumper, drive to the basket or tip in.
5. She has very good ball handling skills for 6'1'
6. She has a Jackson like midrange shot but she also has excellent range on her 3 ball,,,top of key, corners, wings and if defender gets too close guarding her its see ya later for a midrange or a layup. I never saw her set up on a particular spot .... all the shots came from motion...make her very hard to prepare for and guard..
7. She has excellent very efficient shooting form from 3 and midrange and her driving scoop shot is fun to see.
8. She played a lot of minutes at Florida ...she wont have to here (if she comes here) and I expect her numbers will improve for all you stat worshipers.
9. She has the total offensive skill set. Amazing when you consider her mother was her only coach until Florida. Good job mom but I still see a lot of upside and that's my biggest like about her
10.She played hurt at Florida for a while

As far as assist to turnover ratio - looks suspect true .... but we have PG covered do not need her for that we need her for playing at the 3/4 and rebounding, put backs, breaking up passes in the paint, open 3's and fast break opportunities..
Admittedly her defense will be a work in progress to reach BU WBB standards but refer back to #1 she is an ATHLETE !!! Defense was never prioritized to her before. It will come.

Don't read too much into this folks but after the Arkansas game I was able to congratulate her on her 40+ point performance and when she saw by BU hat she remarked "Oh your from Baylor" I told her Yes I went to Baylor and I wished you would have considered Baylor we sure could have used you a couple of weeks ago . She laughed and said "maybe I should have"

Bottom line she is not a fill in 10th player should she come - she is a baller and she can be a big part of a really special season

Appreciate the in depth from yourself and DCheetah.

Still don't understand the hate for her game from others.
Dcheetah
Fantastic post!
baylor1984
Dcheetah said:

Just looked up some info on Lavender and our LBs.

She was freshman team All SEC frosh yr and All SEC 2nd team her 2nd yr before getting injured.

In SEC play her 2nd yr avgd 21.8ppg before injuring her foot.
She started 47 of 48 games and was her teams #1 scoring option (often drawing teams best defender)

Versus top SEC teams her 2nd yr:
V. USCe: 38min, 23pts, 6rb,3asst
V. ARK: 39 min, 41 pts, 4rb, 0asst
V. Alabama: can't find data from second year the first year 21 points on 8 of 15 shooting - FYI Jordan Lewis had 16pts and 6asst
V. A&M: 39 min, 19 pts, 8rb, 1asst
V. UTenn: 38min, 23pts, 9rb,2asst
V. LSU: ?min, 21 pts, 10rbs, 0asst
She agreed 35 min for season before injury

She had good games vs. all top SEC teams despite being primary focus of teams playing Florida. She is obviously a good scorer and rebounder. Needs to get more pts at free throw line. Her team was not good and lost almost all SEC games so she was not surrounded by good players to make the game easier and increase shooting percentages.

Now, instead of looking at Chloe Jackson's and T'ea Cooper's Baylor numbers, instead look at their numbers from year before they transferred to Baylor.

Chloe 2017-18 LSU: 44% FG%, 27% 3ptavg, 78%FTA, 4.7rb,, 2.3asst

T'ea 2018-19 USCe: 43%FG%, 29% 3ptavg, 76%FTA, 2.5rb/g, 2.2asst

As you can see, Lavender seems very comparable and could actually play 3yrs if she takes her Covid yr. I would be delighted if she joined the team.
Good to know. Hope we can land her.
TxRainMkr
We need players and I sure hope that we get her. She scored 41 points against Arkansas last season. We could have used some of those points when we played Arkansas. With that said, we are eventually going to need some posts.
Heart
Love to have Lavender!!
BuinmyBlood
Still trying to figure out under what circumstances she might be transferring. It appears that even though some of their fans are yelling for her head coach's resignation, he just got his contract extended to 2025, as of June 1st of 2021.

So it doesn't appear she would be eligible to gain an extra year, and play immediately, but rather would probably have to sit out a year if I'm understanding how this works. But I could very easily be wrong...
Brian Ethridge
Staff
BuinmyBlood said:

Still trying to figure out under what circumstances she might be transferring. It appears that even though some of their fans are yelling for her head coach's resignation, he just got his contract extended to 2025, as of June 1st of 2021.

So it doesn't appear she would be eligible to gain an extra year, and play immediately, but rather would probably have to sit out a year if I'm understanding how this works. But I could very easily be wrong...
Unless that is the SEC coach rumored to be on the way out.
Scout Bear
Excuse me...we still need one more in the paint who can run the floor and rebound. Take a charge; play whack a mole defense. Little things like that.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.