What the Asst. Coaching hires [as a whole] tell the fans.....

9,642 Views | 58 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by blackie
Adriacus Peratuun
How long do you want to ignore this user?
CNC has her priorities right:

1) acquire talent
2) develop talent [on and off court]
3) utilize talent to win at the highest level

the game as a whole and specifically the college aspect of the game is undergoing massive change.

the Baylor WBB program would have been light years behind the curve in that change. Instead it is on the leading curve of that change.

very bright future
Adriacus Peratuun
The hire also hints that significant $ will be poured into 1-2 really highly qualified analysts. Top analysts handling opponent scouting, watching for internal player/team tendencies, breaking down video, doing video portion of scouting, etc. will free up the coaching staff to recruit, handle player development, etc.

The days of staffs being successful trying to handle every task are gone.

Let the analysts do the video work. Let the coaches do the court & recruit landing work.
sicem45
Adriacus Peratuun said:

CNC has her priorities right:

1) acquire talent
2) develop talent [on and off court]
3) utilize talent to win at the highest level

the game as a whole and specifically the college aspect of the game is undergoing massive change.

the Baylor WBB program would have been light years behind the curve in that change. Instead it is on the leading curve of that change.

very bright future

Agreed! We upgraded the staff and are adjusting with the times unlike the previous staff! Bright future ahead. Nicki is about to be a household name
BUatbirth
Baylor WBB was made a brand. IMO,,,Nicki is shining up and retooling that brand to be on the leading edge of WBB, and college athletics in general. Really smart

I imagine a whole bunch of college coaches, across the sports, saw this hire and the future and realized they are behind.
Eball
AP...I know in part you can't help yourself and I guess, I admire your singleness of purpose and determination when it comes to dislike of everything Kim...and an attempt to rewrite history....I give you a pass...

Your post is really good in terms of the hire and getting out in front of things on the social media and NIL side...this is a good out of the box, smart, forward thinking hire.

I do wonder what took so long on this one...do you think Mack had to be convinced or CNC had to be convinced? It is a bold hire no doubt about it now lets see if it means we continue to recruit and win at high levels....and oh yes lets get one or two more bodies for next year,
bawitdaball
Eball said:

AP...I know in part you can't help yourself and I guess, I admire your singleness of purpose and determination when it comes to dislike of everything Kim...and an attempt to rewrite history....I give you a pass...

Your post is really good in terms of the hire and getting out in front of things on the social medial and NIL side...this is a good out of the box, smart, forward thinking hire.

I do wonder what took so long on this one...do you think Mack had to be convinced or CNC had to be convinced? It is a bold hire no doubt about it now lets see if it means we continue to recruit and win at high levels....and oh yes lets get one or two more bodies for next year,

To this it wouldn't surprise me if she was under contract to do a level of coverage through the All-Star game. I could be entirely wrong on this, but it is interesting the announcement was made about 72 hours after the game. Either way, excited for what the future holds.
Oldgrizzly
It is my personal opinion that Chloe had contractual obligations that delayed the announcement of her hire.
TxRainMkr
Cutting edge, bold move, and Baylor is forward thinking in building our program.
Bone Squad
Adriacus Peratuun said:

The hire also hints that significant $ will be poured into 1-2 really highly qualified analysts. Top analysts handling opponent scouting, watching for internal player/team tendencies, breaking down video, doing video portion of scouting, etc. will free up the coaching staff to recruit, handle player development, etc.

Let the analysts do the video work. Let the coaches do the court & recruit landing work.
Will you "show your work" on this? I don't follow why the hiring of these coaches hints at the future hires of other analysts. Because the current staff does not have coaches known for that particular skill, so others will be brought in for that purpose? Or is Pavlech herself the highly qualified analyst you're referring to? Or more generally, you think that is a new trend that is developing, and it would be consistent with Collen's style to adopt that trend? There seems to be a step in your thought process I am missing.
Zerooreo
Bone Squad said:

Adriacus Peratuun said:

Will you "show your work" on this? I don't follow why the hiring of these coaches hints at the future hires of other analysts. Because the current staff does not have coaches known for that particular skill, so others will be brought in for that purpose? Or is Pavlech herself the highly qualified analyst you're referring to? Or more generally, you think that is a new trend that is developing, and it would be consistent with Collen's style to adopt that trend? There seems to be a step in your thought process I am missing.
So, the Lady Bears will dominate on social media and digital marketing. Nice. Time will tell if it results in wins on the court......
Reverend
"Wins on the court"? What does that have to do with anything? KM was just a Neanderthal.
Edmond Bear
Reverend said:

"Wins on the court"? What does that have to do with anything? KM was just a Neanderthal.

Brian Ethridge
Staff
Bone Squad said:

Adriacus Peratuun said:

Nicki stated she was hiring one in her interview with us, I think.
tombeaux
Zerooreo said:

Bone Squad said:

Adriacus Peratuun said:

So, the Lady Bears will dominate on social media and digital marketing. Nice. Time will tell if it results in wins on the court......

Isn't the point that Baylor needs to show top recruits that they will get the best support available to take advantage of the new order brought about by the NIL decision? I'm impressed that Baylor jumped on this so quickly.
Buforlife
This is a PR/Media hire. Minor news portrayed as a major hire. The coaching staff is a minimally talented group. Hope they rise to the expectations of Baylor fans. Hope I'm wrong, but this is another underwhelming announcement. This staff will live off of the talent developed by Mulkey(smith,etc) and when they are gone we will be able to see how good the staff will be. Good luck
Buforlife
BU82EX
"The coaching staff is a minimally talented group". On what authority do you base these allegations? Exactly how do you support your statement? I'm curious to know how you know so much about our new staff? I'm open to facts.
sicem45
Buforlife said:

This is a PR/Media hire. Minor news portrayed as a major hire. The coaching staff is a minimally talented group. Hope they rise to the expectations of Baylor fans. Hope I'm wrong, but this is another underwhelming announcement. This staff will live off of the talent developed by Mulkey(smith,etc) and when they are gone we will be able to see how good the staff will be. Good luck
I will take Nicki and this staff over Kim and her staff. Trust me, this new staff is an upgrade all around.

Kim left good talent but trust me, they did not develop or utilize all of it... see Andrews, Owens, and company.

Eball
sicem45 said:

Buforlife said:

I will take Nicki and this staff over Kim and her staff. Trust me, this new staff is an upgrade all around.

Kim left good talent but trust me, they did not develop or utilize all of it... see Andrews, Owens, and company.

No I don't trust you! And your constant bashing of Kim a HOF coach and someone who built the Baylor Lady Bear Bear brand where it is today...is unseemly and rude. Why you insist on the attacks almost every time you post is border line obsessive. She is gone and CNC is the coach now save the comparisons for at least the third season of CNC ? Sic em Bears!
Adriacus Peratuun
Bone Squad said:

Adriacus Peratuun said:

Look at the WBB budget. Look at the amount spent so far. Look at where it was spent. Look at what remains.

Look at how the MBB budget is spent. Look at the other ways that the new WBB program is emulating the MBB. Start comparing budget expenditures.

Read between the lines.
Eball
Adriacus Peratuun said:

Bone Squad said:

Adriacus Peratuun said:

Look at the WBB budget. Look at the amount spent so far. Look at where it was spent. Look at what remains.

Look at how the MBB budget is spent. Look at the other ways that the new WBB program is emulating the MBB. Start comparing budget expenditures.

Read between the lines.
Do you have the respective budgets in a PDF you can supply us to review or tell us where to go to look for same?
sicem45
Eball said:

sicem45 said:

Buforlife said:

No I don't trust you! And your constant bashing of Kim a HOF coach and someone who built the Baylor Lady Bear Bear brand where it is today...is unseemly and rude. Why you insist on the attacks almost every time you post is border line obsessive. She is gone and CNC is the coach now save the comparisons for at least the third season of CNC ? Sic em Bears!

If you can't see that Kim was past her prime, I don't know what to tell you. She literally stopped recruiting hard after 2018 and refused to adapt with changes in the game today. 4 final fours in over 20 years is honestly embarrassing considering the resources we have. It's time to bring in someone who gets the most out of this program and I believe that will be Nicki
Reverend
This post is honestly embarrassing. I know what to tell you but it's not necessary.
blueeyedbear
sicem45 said:

Eball said:

sicem45 said:

Buforlife said:

If you can't see that Kim was past her prime, I don't know what to tell you. She literally stopped recruiting hard after 2018 and refused to adapt with changes in the game today. 4 final fours in over 20 years is honestly embarrassing considering the resources we have. It's time to bring in someone who gets the most out of this program and I believe that will be Nicki
Kim was loyal to Leaon Barmore and his vision of women['s basketball to a fault. Neither understood how the 3 ball changed the women's game. Neither could adapt or change to the evolving women's game. Your not going to find 6'7" - 6'9" in every recruiting class ! I noticed the fire in her belly leave Kim with the death of her grandchild. Certainty understandable and she coped with it like the role model class person she is but even before then there were signs that the monster she built had become just too much for her. The signs were there we just ignored them because the wins kept coming. That's on us.
Her offense has always been too predictable but her recruiting the last several years really dropped off and Baylor women's basketball was heading for an epic drop al la UT. If it had not been for the transfer portal the success of the last three seasons would never have happened. and coaches were having more and more success defending BU WBB (Iowa Stare, WV, Oregon State and Mississippi State) were able to win games they should not have.
The truth is hard to accept some times and fact is sicem and others are right...it was time for CKM to move on with the gratitude and thanks of a grateful University and fan base. Kim talked about how timing is everything .....she is absolutely right the timing for Kim to move on and the timing of the hiring of Nicki was if I can say this without incurring the wrath of some was almost divine intervention. The confluence of events that came together and made this happen is amazing. Financially the move to LSU is a financial windfall for Kim if she makes 5 years at LSU, she is home and I thank her for her decision and for LSU to be there with open arms and for Nicki having the courage to follow a Legend and I wish Kim all the best except of course if we play LSU.
CNC has already shown she is a breath of badly needed fresh air into BU women's basketball. She and her staff have hit the ground running and never have so many quality recruits been contacted, offered and visited and she is not done yet. CNC is a visionary and that will manifest itself in the next few years. Kim did not leave the cupboard bare like someone else did so thank you Kim but honestly a lot of that has to do with the young ladies who decided to stay !!!! Again the confluence of events is amazing and still in progress and I for one am totally jacked about the upcoming season.

Processandtrust
tombeaux said:

Zerooreo said:

Bone Squad said:

Adriacus Peratuun said:

Isn't the point that Baylor needs to show top recruits that they will get the best support available to take advantage of the new order brought about by the NIL decision? I'm impressed that Baylor jumped on this so quickly.

Davion Mitchell was not projected a lottery pick and was relatively unknown until we won the NC. PR / Social Media doesn't matter if we don't win. Would love to see the budget and hopefully see that the investment in our program and towards winning has not declined. Love the hire though!
ABC BEAR
sicem45 said:

Eball said:

sicem45 said:

Buforlife said:

Comparing a coach who went to 4 Final Fours to a coach who never mad it past the 2nd Round in four tournament appearances as an assistant, is weak.

Suffice to say that CNC's next Final Four appearance will be her first.....along with her next Sweet 16 and next Elite 8 appearances. Her resume' doesn't back up all this hoopla and razzmatazz I'm reading on this board, IMO.

The November signing period will soon be upon us. Let's see how many top quality signees we are able to bring in before launching to the moon.
Dcheetah
I think CKM will be energized and re-motivated by being home in Louisana in a way I do not think would have occurred here had she remained. I will not be surprised if she doesn't have a Mack Brown-like resurrection in drive and focus and much success at LSU. Saying that, I think the timing is right for CNC and so far I think she has been a breath of fresh air. I think with her vision, communication skills,, intelligence, confidence, broad range of contacts, aggressive approach to recruiting and the staff she has put together, I expect recruiting will continue to flourish with the potential to go to even higher levels and will be surprised if we do not maintain our status at or near the top of wbb. Many other fanbases seem to have written us off - maybe hopeful of our impending demise, but I think they are going to be surprised and mistaken. CNC has made changes that have the potential to keep and possibly elevate us to the summit of Wbb. Will be fun to watch the results.
ABC BEAR
Dcheetah said:

I think CKM will be energized and re-motivated by being home in Louisana in a way I do not think would have occurred here had she remained. I will not be surprised if she doesn't have a Mack Brown-like resurrection in drive and focus and much success at LSU. Saying that, I think the timing is right for CNC and so far I think she has been a breath of fresh air. I think with her vision, communication skills,, intelligence, confidence, broad range of contacts, aggressive approach to recruiting and the staff she has put together, I expect recruiting will continue to flourish with the potential to go to even higher levels and will be surprised if we do not maintain our status at or near the top of wbb. Many other fanbases seem to have written us off - maybe hopeful of our impending demise, but I think they are going to be surprised and mistaken. CNC has made changes that have the potential to keep and possibly elevate us to the summit of Wbb. Will be fun to watch the results.
Okay, well said. Will she be able to outcoach and outmaneuver opposing coaches in the final five minutes or any other time when the outcome of the game is on the line?
Dcheetah
I think so but you never know til we see the results. Anticipating the answer.
blueeyedbear
ABC BEAR said:

Dcheetah said:

Okay, well said. Will she be able to outcoach and outmaneuver opposing coaches in the final five minutes or any other time when the outcome of the game is on the line?
Yes she will...If you heard her interview with Smoke she emphasized that in the WNBA most games are close and come down to the last five minutes or so.. She is well prepared to make adjustments and personal changes depending on the flow of the game.
Secondly she encourages her staffs input and frequently let them make the adjustments. That's a leader, that's confidence and trust in the people she hires. I welcome the change.
sicem45
Nicki is a better Xs and Os than Kim so I think she will have no issues with end of game coaching and strategy.
Eball
I can't believe you going all in on the the CNC is better than Kim train that one is destined to crash. Unless she in Geno there really is none better or with a better track record Kim had us in the discussion for Championships every yearfor a long time I just hope we don't drop to far. CNC seems to be a good person and very capable but as TREX says unless they win a National Championship every year it is not good enoughnow that is one fantastical view but you all are just putting way to high expectations on CNCI will be tickled if we stay relevant and in the hunt in the Big 12. To think we can hit on a HOF coach in the same sport consecutively is far fetched.
Eball
Unbelievable view but then again to be expected from a Kim hater and someone who has no real clue.
Biscuits_and_Gravy
HoustonBear15
sicem45 said:

Buforlife said:

Kim and her staff were literally the reigning national champions going into this past season. I'm not a Nicki doubter, but just not sure how an unproven coach earns more faith than Kim.

I will say though, anyone who thinks this new hire won't have an impact doesn't know the influence that she has had on women's basketball. She's really well known amongst young players and will be a huge asset as players navigate the new NIL situation.
blueeyedbear
Eball said:

I can't believe you going all in on the the CNC is better than Kim trainthat one is destined to crash. Unless she in Geno there really is none better or with a better track recordKim had us in the discussion for Championships every yearfor a long timeI just hope we don't drop to far. CNC seems to be a good person and very capable but as TREX says unless they win a National Championship every year it is not good enoughnow that is one fantastical view but you all are just putting way to high expectations on CNCI will be tickled if we stay relevant and in the hunt in the Big 12. To think we can hit on a HOF coach in the same sport consecutively is far fetched.
I appreciate your loyalty to Kim and as I have posted in the past what she did for Baylor, Baylor Athletics and Baylor women's basketball is as the credit card ad says priceless !! I acknowledge that, I thank her from the bottom of my heart, I thank God for sending her too us in our darkest days !!!! I wish her well at LSU.
However difficult it is to accept for some her star was fading for several reasons all documented by myself sicem, AP, T Rex and others.
Sorry I have to correct you on one statement .... we were not in contention every year. Not even close. If you are not in the final 4 then you are not in contention. So early exits to lesser teams was becoming a growing problem. The 3 NT's that are touted by some as evidence to her greatness have to be considered in the light of the 3-4 NTs (by my count) that were not won. My humble opinion is that she and Geno should be tied on the NY count. Two with Griner for sure. She could not or would not make adjustments against TAM and Louisville we saw the same vs U Conn's 19 point run with stone face silence from Kim...what elite coach does that ??...I do not care about the thug ball excuse with Louisville she trained that team to lose and that is just what they did. Iowa State is another example of stubbornly refusing to adjust or change.
Counting on getting quality transfer players out of the portal to remain a contender for Big 12 and NT is Athletic Russian Roulette. If that is the definition of her good recruiting of late let me remind you we got Chloe because of a friendship with a LB team member and we got Cooper because of her friendship with Jackson, we got Carrington because Stanford would not accept her as a grad student and the success of Jackson and Cooper made the decision for Carrington to make the call easy for her. Its was Luck, Good Luck. Sometimes you make your own luck but it's not sustainable.
I was so infuriated by the Oregon Stare loss and her treatment of the team ....Juicy and Natalie in particular that I dropped my 6 season tickets (15 Years) and Tip Off membership. I have renewed season tickets and Tip Off for the coming season because of Nicki ........and instead of center court I will probably end up needing to tote an oxygen bottle up to my sears at the Ferrell but I love the direction the program is heading and I am having a hard time understanding why some posters think only CKM could keep BU women's basketball a Big 12 contender and tourney invitee. Eventually she was going to retire. The timing now is a godsend.
I always thought Kim put way to much emphasis on wining the Big 12. I have to agree with T Rex Big 12 women's basketball other then BU sucks and a Big 12 title just does not have the weight we need to get better recognition and seeding for the tournament. Its extremely difficult to get top teams to come to Waco because of the logistics and of course because of the possible L
I think Dcheeta is spot on about CNC and the future of women's basketball is in good hands. As for Mak....proof positive that even a blind squirrel can find an acorn once in a while.

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.