Interesting game tonight - Kim/LSU vs Iowa St

4,739 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BaylorBears_254
BuinmyBlood
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This should be a really interesting one to watch.

Iowa State is looking plenty stout again this year, and KM is taking over a rebuilding job at LSU.

Kim and Bill Fennelly have always shown great respect for each other over their careers, and this will be a reunion of sorts. As I recall, ISU beat BU again last year, so I'm sure there will be major emphasis in Kim's mind to "get back on track". But I think she and LSU will be flat out-gunned tonight.

Game time is 8pm on ESPN2.

I know a lot of posters have no interest in this game, but there are a lot of us who do - so, please, if you have nothing constructive to say, negative comments are unnecessary. We already know how you feel - ad nauseum.

My personal interest is as much about how ISU looks as anything, in addition to seeing how Hannah Gusters performs over the years...
BearFan33
BuinmyBlood said:

This should be a really interesting one to watch.

Iowa State is looking plenty stout again this year, and KM is taking over a rebuilding job at LSU.

Kim and Bill Fennelly have always shown great respect for each other over their careers, and this will be a reunion of sorts. As I recall, ISU beat BU again last year, so I'm sure there will be major emphasis in Kim's mind to "get back on track". But I think she and LSU will be flat out-gunned tonight.

Game time is 8pm on ESPN2.

I know a lot of posters have no interest in this game, but there are a lot of us who do - so, please, if you have nothing constructive to say, negative comments are unnecessary. We already know how you feel - ad nauseum.

My personal interest is as much about how ISU looks as anything, in addition to seeing how Hannah Gusters performs over the years...
I predict an ISU win as Kim is in a rebuild.
IowaBear
Pointer vs Joens will be fun to watch even for casual fans. Think it'll end up a 5 point game one way or the other
Mulder
The former head coach of the former Baylor Lady Bears will prevail against Iowa.
Eball
I think ISU is the better team...and the new coach new team is always tough.however it is a road game for ISU and Kim will no doubt have her team emotionally up for this one...LSU is not devoid of talent...I think LSU wins a tight one but if ISU wins it and wins it going away I think it will say more about how good they are this season and what kind of challenge they will be for us. I will be watching...
slimecap
HALFTIME

Task Force 2015
Alexis Morris has at least 15.Gusters didn't impress.
IowaBear
Smiths the best player in the B12 but Joens is right there with her. She's a stud
slimecap
Task Force 2015 said:

Alexis Morris has at least 15
#45 is still fast ... really fast

Eball
Morris playing out of her mind. Really good game
Eball
52-44 in 3rd Morris with 22.
slimecap

End of 3rd QTR
slimecap

FINAL
hitmanmw
LSU takes them down!! Was not impressed with ISU. They look very unathletic. Mulkey was really fired up!!
Eball
Morris with 25 5-6 threes. Kim was fired up fun watching her coach with so much passion and intensity. Very good game.
IowaBear
ISU rarely has an athletic team that's nothing new. But they're a good team. They'll be a threat in the B12
BleedGreen&Gold
What a difference a change in head coach can make. This LSU team will be ranked next week and will be a tournament team.
canoso
Winners gonna win.
Mulder
A fiery Coach Mulkey and her charges take down Iowa by 9.
A. Morris poured in 25.
BuinmyBlood
BleedGreen&Gold said:

What a difference a change in head coach can make. This LSU team will be ranked next week and will be a tournament team.
Absolutely. People can say all they want about Kim's personality, but no one can dispute she's one of the very best coaches of all time in the women's game.

The naysayers on the Premium board kept telling us how she was too old school and could never change her stripes and adapt to the new style of women's basketball. Well, that was not a post-centric team I watched tonight. That was a team with extremely active guards and a good post presence and outstanding defense. All Kim's done is shift gears. It was just a matter of time. And if anybody could do it, and do it well, it would be Kim...
baylorbear33
That was simply a great game to watch. So enjoy watching Kim and her dramatic coaching style. Pretty sure she just put the other SEC teams on notice. LSU will beat some very good teams this year, and not gonna lie, I'm here for it.
bawitdaball
Task Force 2015 said:

Yea she hasn't lived up to her billing. ISU was extremely flat.
BuinmyBlood
bawitdaball said:

Task Force 2015 said:

Flat? They hit 9 of 23 (39%) of their 3 point attempts, hit 40% overall from the field and hit 9 of 10 free throws. They just got hit hard in the mouth with some tough KM man defense. And Kim's new offense threw them completely off.. I would counter that LSU played great. Iowa State is a very good team and Baylor will have their hands full when we play them...
bawitdaball
BuinmyBlood said:

bawitdaball said:

Task Force 2015 said:

Flat? They hit 9 of 23 (39%) of their 3 point attempts, hit 40% overall from the field and hit 9 of 10 free throws. They just got hit hard in the mouth with some tough KM man defense. And Kim's new offense threw them completely off.. I would counter that LSU played great. Iowa State is a very good team and Baylor will have their hands full when we play them...

You can be flat as a result of the other teams defense and production. At one time LSU was 6-6 on 3 point shots and ISU was 6-15. ISU shooting 30% is flat. They have been making 12.5 per contest and LSU has made 2.5. I'm not discrediting Mulkey. She had them ready. But I stand by the fact that ISU liked flat. I've seen them play on three occasions now and this was by far their worst game of the season. Again, a lot of that has to do with LSU, but the observation remains the same.
slimecap

"Kim Mulkey gets her first win over a ranked team
as LSU's coach tonight vs. Iowa State.
Mulkey's first win over a ranked team while at Baylor
was against ... Iowa State, Jan. 24, 2001.
Cyclones are No. 14 now; they were No. 7 then."

- Mechelle Voepel twitter feed, 3 Dec 2021
74Bear
Ok...blow me up but I will take Kim's style of offense and defense back in a heart beat. I see nothing in this new offense that looks like a national championship style. Three point shooters can be shut down. "Create your own shot" is street ball to me. Like Carolyn Peck said in the pregane "If you want to win a national championship you must have two good post playes and a true point guard."
Brusinbear2001
And Baylor has that are you kidding, Jordan Lewis is great and we have Sarah. I hope you know we have two of the most athletic post players in the country but just incase you forgot we have Smith which is the front runner in my opinion for being the number 1 pick and it isn't even close. We also have Queen who is just now finding her stride. Then off the Bench we bring in Jaden Owens and she has been a defensive beast this year and has done the things she need to do. We also have Bickle who our coach says is a great leader and very vocal. Would not be surprised to see her be a graduate assistant or be on this coaching staff in the future.
74Bear
We have it now, but where is it for next year? A bucket load of threes does not equal running your offense through the post players.
Dr. J
74Bear said:

We have it now, but where is it for next year? A bucket load of threes does not equal running your offense through the post players.
The same question can be asked of LSU whom has 8 graduate students or 5th year seniors.

Lewis and Smith will be leaving. Uncertain if K-Mac will be eligible for another year and others will most likely return.

Don't believe Queen is ready to make the jump to the pros so, she may stay one more year.

The bottom line is a mix of recruiting for future development and the transfer portal for immediate impact.
Space53
Well I hate to break the news but Mulkey is gone forever. If you want to be associated with a national championship team you might try the Baylor men.
74Bear
Not saying bring Mulkey back, saying IMO we need the twin post/pg offense not a barrage of threes.
Brusinbear2001
I do not think that we want to be a Iowa State she clearly states we want balance in our offense and make it hard for teams to guess what we will do. Smith gets her touches, I want to see her grow more then take shots with her back to the basket she is a far better player then that and the growth she is showing this season is great. Queen Egbo is now back on track to get to grow again I do agree she might need another year just to show how she can run in a balanced offense. But to speak on next year look at the 3 recruits we have. We have a 6'5 post player that has a huge upside, did you know she has a 3 point shot at well the coaching staff wants to improve the consistency with it. When you look at the league the more versatile you are the more likely you will have a career in the pros. We have Bella she is a 6'1 guard and she has a amazing shot, she is similar size to Bickle but will play out on the perimeter. We have Catarina coming as well she will have a Juco experience and is also a tall wing 6'0 and she has a nice shot and can work well in all 3 levels that is another guard wing like player at Bickle's height. The staff knows what we need to create this balance we are working with the pieces we have right now. We still have the hopes of a portal where you can get big names I believe we will get a pure shooter in the portal a player similar to Juicy ( i think Juicy would have killed it in this system). People lose hope so fast but we haven't gave it a shot. The 3 is the open shot because we have beast in the paint that get doubled and tripled. Just wait on it.
Adriacus Peratuun
Aranda Year 1 vs. Aranda Year 2. Rhule Year 1.

Collen wants to play a Switch Everything style of D. That requires size on the perimeter. The roster she inherited is one of the smallest [interior and perimeter] that any P5 has put on the floor in the past decade. We are TCU level tiny.

The players are only now beginning to understand offensive flow, shot selection, ball movement within the offense. They are having to jump from an early 80s offense to a 2021 offense in one season. Not easy. Running plays vs. working offensive concepts from varying sets are two entirely different items.

Collen needs time to get a full roster [not 9 players of which only 8 are ready to play]. She needs time to get her type of players. The team needs 2-3 seasons where the style of play isn't a constant mental process but simply natural response.

Collen needs time to build, repair & revive recruiting relationships. She inherited a small handful of talented players that were not enough to fill a full roster nor fit her systems.

Baylor WBB wasn't a "take the ball & run" situation but a partial rebuild situation.

BaylorBears_254
LOL now we have people saying they want Kim back.

I always laughed when people said our style of offense was not winning and that we needed to shoot more "3's", when in reality the offense was never what held us back, it was the ability to stop teams from having career nights against us.

Kim is going to win at LSU (despite the dummies saying she wouldn't), and NC SHOULD, and BETTER win at BU.

EvilTroyAndAbed
74Bear said:

Ok...blow me up but I will take Kim's style of offense and defense back in a heart beat. I see nothing in this new offense that looks like a national championship style. Three point shooters can be shut down. "Create your own shot" is street ball to me. Like Carolyn Peck said in the pregane "If you want to win a national championship you must have two good post playes and a true point guard."
This will help you make the transition. I'm sure they'll be happy to have you.

https://www.fanatics.com/lsu-tigers/o-16+t-90424460+z-999582-2583594572?_s=gppc&utm_campaign=NCAA%20-%20LSU%20Tigers%20-%20GKs%20-%20US%20-%20EN|412638155&utm_medium=ppc&ks_id=6250_kw111820668&utm_term=lsu%20merchandise&matchtype=be&utm_source=o&target=kwd-81707660720034:loc-190&pcrid=81707548328546&adposition=&msclkid=eae645ef278a10b574b224455a4c2a41
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.