Baseball
Sponsored by

Is current Baylor Baseball just like Football in early 2000's?

1,593 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Robert Wilson
DallasBear21
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I was born in '98 so I obviously don't remember most of the bad days of football. When I started really remembering games was when RGIII got to campus so I've only seen us on the upswing. Forgetting 2020 and 2017 ever happened.

Is Baylor baseball on that path? Are we just bound to be bottom of the conference and not very competitive? It seems like we have no direction or momentum.

Just curious to hear some thoughts.
Adriacus Peratuun
DallasBear21 said:

I was born in '98 so I obviously don't remember most of the bad days of football. When I started really remembering games was when RGIII got to campus so I've only seen us on the upswing. Forgetting 2020 and 2017 ever happened.

Is Baylor baseball on that path? Are we just bound to be bottom of the conference and not very competitive? It seems like we have no direction or momentum.

Just curious to hear some thoughts.

No. It isn't.

Texas and the surrounding states have a bevy of talented baseball players who fit the profile that Baylor needs in baseball [can play, can afford to pay part of the freight].

Step #1: recruit players that are tall enough to ride all of the rides at the park.
Step #2: recruit their bigger cousins.
Step #3: stop giving away outs early in games.
MrGolfguy
DallasBear21 said:

Are we just bound to be bottom of the conference and not very competitive?

Their conf finishes the past 5 years (6th, 4th, 5th, 2nd, 5th), that's an avg of 4th. Most definitely not "bottom of the conference" & not "not very competitive". Having a bad year this year with major pitching issues, simple as that.
Well I ain't no greenhorn!!
STxBear81
I think the issues and I am sure I am in the minority here , are with the coaching. Their is no true pitching coach. There is a pitch caller. But no one on the staff has been a pitcher or knows how to fix any pitching problems. To me that is more telling than listening g to espn+ announcers last nite bemoan the talking point that this pitcher or that pitcher has been bad. Tell me what the coaches are doing to fix it. They aren't that bad to get that many appearances amd keep giving walks and hit batters. Home runs etc. what has Strauss done to help any of them? Nothing. That's the concern to me. Some guys just aren't pitchers Some need more help than others Help them. I personally think our coaches are
Terrible
Johnny Bear
Not suggesting the baseball program is in a virtually hopeless state like our football program was in the 00's, but it's interesting that baseball was the only major men's program we had to be proud of then and now we're rolling with both football and men's bball and baseball has become a joke (at least at the present time).
BaylorGuy314
No. Baylor Baseball isn't even close to Baylor Football in the last 90s and early 00s.

I think Rod's a good guy and I don't think he's a bad coach. I also think he's had a lot of really crap luck during his time here with injuries (happens with all baseball teams but it's hit Rod where it hurts more than most.)

In 2018, we came together as a team in early April and proceeded to win 22 of our final 25 games leading to the regionals (including winning the B12 tournament) only to get shipped out west to the most difficult regional in the country. We had a ton of injuries this year and still found a way to piece it all together.

Then, in 2019 we were 1 game back from winning the conference and competed well in the regional despite a similar rash of injuries to key players.

We looked like a solid postseason team in 2000- maybe not as good as '18 or '19 but very solid nonetheless - before the season was cancelled early due to Covid.

2021 and 2022 have been train wrecks though.

The issue I see is that recruiting is not good, the clubhouse attitude is in really bad shape, attendance is horrid, and there is just no energy around the program at all.

While Baylor does need to put more resources into baseball if we are to be successful we have what we need to be a Top 25 program. Unfortunately, I don't see Rod as the guy to do it- not because he's not a good coach or good guy but because it's a lot harder to sell a vision for the future in Year 7 than Year 1-2 and the cards are stacked against him now. Gonna need some new blood to re-energize the program.
STxBear81
Nice and accurate synopsis
Energy comes from the top - down. There isn't any. Could be some clubhouse issues but that's not the problem.
Johnny Bear
Injuries or no injuries, there is no excuse for this program ever getting to a point where it looks thoroughly over matched and out classed by just about everybody else in the conference not named Kansas - and yet that's exactly where we are. I don't see anything that's positive right now or that appears to be heading north (especially recruiting). Sad that Rod didn't succeed in the long run, but it's time to admit he didn't and move on to hopefully somebody that will re-energize the program and successfully recruit from the huge pool of baseball talent that the state of Texas offers year in and year out.
Robert Wilson
We aren't nearly that bad

But we aren't good

It's difficult to describe Steele era incompetence if you didn't live through it
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.