Baseball
Sponsored by

Rubber game KState

1,645 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by parch
CTbruin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
McKenzie 2 run dinger in top 1

2-0
CTbruin
Up 2-1 after 1

Helton has control issues.
CTbruin
Up 3-1 after 2
CTbruin
4-1 after 3
CTbruin
5-1 after 5

Helton has really pitched well after early control issues
CTbruin
5-1 after 7

Helton has given up 3 hits. Great game. I imagine he is done.
MrGolfguy
There's still fight in these Bears yet.
Well I ain't no greenhorn!!
CTbruin
Umpires are awful today
CTbruin
Voelker now pitching
CTbruin
Blowing the lead

5-2. Bases loaded. 1 out. Bottom 8
CTbruin
Grand slam

5-6

Why didn't we pull Voelker when he could not get an out?
CTbruin
Another homer off Voelker.

Rod must go
CTbruin
5-7 after 8
MrGolfguy
The whole season summarized in one game:
Played well, got early lead, solid starting pitching, held lead all game, go to the bullpen........crap!!!
Well I ain't no greenhorn!!
CTbruin
5-7 final
Johnny Bear
Again, Rod sits back and watches one of our pitchers give up 6 runs and blow a 4 run lead late in the game before being pulled. It's laughable how many times this same type scenario has played out this season. This program is headed nowhere other than deeper into the ditch. Time for Rhodes to make a move ASAP when this season finally comes to a merciful end.
whitetrash
We suck.
william
Dale?
Yogi
I like Rodriguez as a person, but he has consistently shown during his time at Baylor that he has no idea how to use his pitchers.

He always leaves the pitcher who is struggling a few batters in too long and yanks a pitcher who is on a roll - knowing that he doesn't have a good bullpen.

I don't know where we go from here. We might be better focusing our resources in the era of NIL on football and basketball.

Facilities upgrades are not just whR this program needs, and I am not certain that we will ever recruit like we once did.

But, there's no denying, we're not very good. Among just the Baptist programs in the state, we may not be in the Top 3.

This is as bad and inconsistent as I have seen us since the 1995 season.
Johnny Bear
Yogi said:

Facilities upgrades are not just whR this program needs, and I am not certain that we will ever recruit like we once did.

For us older, long-standing fans, it doesn't seem like it was all that long ago it didn't feel like we would ever recruit well enough in football and basketball to even be respectfully competitive in the Big 12, let alone get to the championship level - and look at us now. While I totally agree baseball is a solid number 3 among men's sports behind football and basketball, I still feel we can once again recruit and compete at a high level in baseball as well. We just need the right HC to breathe some new life and excitement back into the program - which we don't have right now. If schools like Vandy, TCU, and Dallas Baptist can do it, we can too.
parch
Yogi said:

Scott Drew is a remarkable outlier, so it's tough to do apples-to-apples comparisons here, but Drew worked with some of the most outdated basketball resources in the conference for years and managed to build an Elite 8 team before we even had a dedicated basketball training facility. Mulkey won our first natty under those conditions.

Our resources are a problem, but they're not the problem. A charismatic coach with innovative philosophies and sound strategy are enough to make us competitive again. And as we've seen with Drew (and Briles even), if you build it, the funding will come.

But you have you build the program first. Unless you're Texas or USC or wherever, you need a proof of concept first to convince the donors. Needless to say, our present baseball strategy has failed.
CTbruin
parch said:

Yogi said:

Scott Drew is a remarkable outlier, so it's tough to do apples-to-apples comparisons here, but Drew worked with some of the most outdated basketball resources in the conference for years and managed to build an Elite 8 team before we even had a dedicated basketball training facility. Mulkey won our first natty under those conditions.

Our resources are a problem, but they're not the problem. A charismatic coach with innovative philosophies and sound strategy are enough to make us competitive again. And as we've seen with Drew (and Briles even), if you build it, the funding will come.

But you have you build the program first. Unless you're Texas or USC or wherever, you need a proof of concept first to convince the donors. Needless to say, our present baseball strategy has failed.

Our facilities are rated as one of the best in college baseball. At least the stadium is. Needs to better taken care of.
parch
Yeah, 20 years ago. We're nowhere near that level today.
CTbruin
The Baylor Ballpark is NOT the problem.

The product is the problem and it ain't because of the Ballpark.
parch
That was... my point?
Stefano DiMera
It sounded from your post you were saying the Ballpark is the problem.. that 20 yrs ago it wasn't.
parch
As I said, It's not the problem, is the point, hence the references to Drew, Mulkey and Briles winning with outdated facilities. To ignore it as a problem would be folly, but our stadium and lack of ancillary resources are not keeping us from making Super Regionals. Could we attract more talent and win more consistently with Arkansas or LSU facilities? Yeah of course. But it isn't necessary to build a winner.

Baylor isn't like major state schools. We aren't going to get funding for new/upgraded facilities until a coach galvanizes donors and provides a proof of concept by winning. It was this way when we got Baylor Ballpark (Steve Smith's NCAA year in '98), McLane (Briles B12 titles) and now the basketball arena (Drew/Mulkey success).

The broader point is that it's increasingly clear that Rod is not the one to do it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.