Story Poster
Photo by @BaylorMGolf

Baylor Men's Golf Begins Postseason Play at the Morgan Hill Regional

May 15, 2023

MORGAN HILL, Calif. – Sixth-seeded Baylor men's golf opens its postseason run on Monday morning when it tees off in the Morgan Hill Regional at The Institute Golf Club in Morgan Hill, Calif.

Head coach Mike McGraw leads Baylor into the postseason for the 24th time in the last 25 seasons, but the Bears will be facing a relatively unknown course in The Institute, one of the most exclusive clubs in the country.

“I never thought I would find a golf course more exclusive than Cypress Point, Pine Valley or Augusta National,” McGraw said. “This club only has 35 members, and they're hosting a tournament like this for the first time, so you don’t know how they will set it up. Coach Mikkel [Bjerch-Andresen] and I did a tutorial with a guy who has caddied or played it over 40 times, and he went through the whole golf course, which was really helpful. So we’re not going in blind.”

Johnny Keefer will play at the No. 1 position for the 22nd-straight event, dating back to last season. The senior will be making his third appearance in the postseason after finishing tied for 11th last season as an individual in the Norman Regional.

Drew Wrightson will play at No. 2 for the fifth-straight event. The sophomore is coming off one of the best performances of his career when he finished tied for sixth at the Big 12 Championship. In February, Wrightson finished tied for 5th in the Golden State at the Prestige in Palm Springs, Calif.

“We're excited to get back to California,” Wrightson said. “It looks like we’re going to play a great golf course, and I feel like we're playing pretty well.”

Zach Heffernan will play at No. 3 this week, his highest-ever position in the lineup. The sophomore heads into Morgan Hill on the heels of a tie for 30th at the Big 12 Championship in April.

Luke Dossey will play at No. 4 this week, and after a solid final round at the Big 12 Championship, the sophomore feels like the whole team is heading in the right direction.

“I think everyone took some sort of positive from Prairie Dunes,” he said. “I didn’t have my best tournament, but I played solid on the last day. I think we're all trending, and we've been trending for a while now, so I'm really looking forward to regionals.

Tyler Isenhart will play at No. 5 this week. The senior enters the postseason coming off a tie for 30th at the Big 12 Championship, highlighted by a final-round 68.

The Bears will open play on Monday morning at 10 a.m. on the No. 10 tee. Once available, tee times, live scoring and stats can be found at Golfstat.com. For more information on Baylor Men’s Golf, follow @BaylorMGolf on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.

Tags: Golf, Baylor
Discussion from...

Baylor Men's Golf Begins Postseason Play at the Morgan Hill Regional

1,895 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by boognish_bear
Big_Pumpin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Must be a tough day today. Bears were at -3 after round 1 and in 4th place. They are 1 over for the day and are in first. Haha. Nobody is under par as I type this.
Big_Pumpin
Bears shoot +6 today and it was the low round. Currently in 3rd and 10 shots clear of the 6th place team. Just play solid golf tomorrow and we will advance.
Jack Bauer
I just saw they are playing the back tees at 7500 yards! That is crazy!!
Big_Pumpin
Jack Bauer said:

I just saw they are playing the back tees at 7500 yards! That is crazy!!

I know. Looking at the score card the front nine has a 681yd par-5 and a 672yd par-5. The back nine has a par 4 (517yd) that's longer than a par 5 (511yd)

There is also a 262yd par 3. Carve a little driver into that one
Jack Bauer
Final Round and Bears are in tie for 3rd place with back 9 to go. Top 5 go to nationals. That would be awesome to send both men's and women's teams to nationals!

1) Miss State: -3
2) BYU: +2
3) Baylor +5
3) FSU +5
5) Peperdine +11
====
6) NC State +17
6) Cal +17
8) L'ville +19
9) Grand Canyon +20
Jack Bauer
Looks like the Baylor men's golf team is on their way to Nationals!!!
Big_Pumpin
Yeah I think it's pretty official now. Cal trying to make it interesting for Pepperdine.
boognish_bear
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.