If Brandon doesn't run, who get the nod from the Ds?

11,649 Views | 163 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by 4th and Inches
Cobretti
How long do you want to ignore this user?

"No, out of the question," she told the Financial Times. "First of all, I expect Biden to run. He certainly intends to run. It would be very disruptive to challenge that."
bear2be2
RMF5630 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

If your pick isn't on the list, let us know who it is and then chime in on some of these.

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/586948-ten-democrats-who-could-run-in-2024-if-biden-doesnt
In my opinion, the best place for a President to come is as an ex-Governor. I think our recent foray into a former Senators or No Political Experience as President is showing that they really don't get how to govern and are either too political or in Trump's case divisive. This list is the modern Presidents of note, if I forgot one I will amend, my bolds are success in being able to get their agenda passed. That is my view on success as a President, not a value judgement on those policies. I am sure there is disagreement, can we keep it civil?

Former Modern Gov's (Bold Success in my opinion)
Theodore Roosevelt
Woodrow Wilson
Calvin Coolidge
Franklin Roosevelt
Jimmy Carter
Ronald Reagan
Bill Clinton
George W. Bush

Former Modern Non-Gov's (Bold Success in my opinion)
George H. W. Bush
Richard M. Nixon
Gerald Ford
Lyndon B. Johnson (Really interesting if you dig in to what happened on his watch)
John F. Kennedy
William Taft
Warren G Harden
Harry S Truman
Barack Obama
Donald Trump
Dwight Eisenhower
Herbert Hoover

Based on what I see, unless an Eisenhower is out there somewhere, it looks to me that a former Governor is best choice. If I were Dems, I would run either Cooper (Gov NC) or maybe Murphy (Gov NJ). Cooper a Dem in a Red State makes too much sense. They will end up with Michelle Obama or Hillary when all is said and done.

As for the Republicans, that is the real question. My favorites

Pompeo (non-Gov)
DeSantis (Gov - FL)
Hogan (Gov - MD) Mirror of Cooper, GOP Gov in Blue-ish State
I'm with you on governors. I like people with executive experience as most have had to work across the aisle to serve their constituents.

I would be happy with a Hogan-Cooper election in 2024. It would be worlds better than anything we've had recently.
4th and Inches
Cobretti said:

"No, out of the question," she told the Financial Times. "First of all, I expect Biden to run. He certainly intends to run. It would be very disruptive to challenge that."
yay, Biden and Trump round 2..
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
whiterock
Cobretti said:

yeah, she's chomping to get in, for sure. that statement is intended to avoid divisions in the party base heading into what will already be a brutal election cycle for them.

On 09 November 2022, that will all change. Biden will face fierce public and internal pressure to announce he is retiring in 2024.

I expect Dems to make a strong effort to mount a 3rd party challenger to give Sam et al something to rally around, to bleed off enough GOP votes to allow the Dems to sneak back into the WH.
quash
Ghostrider said:

Robert Wilson said:

As long as the Senate and House are split, all will be ok...

I hope the gop has the senate then so no SC justice can be pases through without their approval.

You know what's weird? Constitutionally that is true if the Green Party holds the Senate.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
LIB,MR BEARS
whiterock said:

Cobretti said:

yeah, she's chomping to get in, for sure. that statement is intended to avoid divisions in the party base heading into what will already be a brutal election cycle for them.

On 09 November 2022, that will all change. Biden will face fierce public and internal pressure to announce he is retiring in 2024.

I expect Dems to make a strong effort to mount a 3rd party challenger to give Sam et al something to rally around, to bleed off enough GOP votes to allow the Dems to sneak back into the WH.

Before Jan31, there will be some health crisis where joe announces he's not running.

I expect to see him fall down a flight of stairs and that will be referred back to as the initial cause of concern. It will be public and geared to generate concern and sympathy rather than incompetence.
drahthaar
LIB,MR BEARS said:

whiterock said:

Cobretti said:

Before Jan31, there will be some health crisis where joe announces he's not running.

I expect to see him fall down a flight of stairs and that will be referred back to as the initial cause of concern. It will be public and geared to generate concern and sympathy rather than incompetence.

I think you are correct on the Biden-is-unable-to-run for health reasons. That is, if he survives until then.

I also think Kamala will "decide" not to run despite her ego and avarice. Those negotiations will be among the most challenging in recent history for the Dem shot-callers.

Probably the most painful reality for them is that they will have to retreat from the far-left positions they have taken which have put the gov't and the nation in its current state, with no resolution via their chosen policies. That throws folks like Klobuchar et al into the mix. And that forces the GOP to jettison Trump regardless of the effects of the J6 commottee findings or conclusions.

Neither Hillary nor Michelle can win in a heads-up race. Barak might might push for a return: he has that much messiah-complex about him, IMO.

This next Prez race is one the GOP will win or lose via their own efforts. The quicker they dump Trump, the quicker the abscess will heal.
BylrFan
no more old farts on either side
quash
... fall off a bike...
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Canada2017
LIB,MR BEARS said:

whiterock said:

Cobretti said:

Mini stroke .
OsoCoreyell
Canada2017 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

whiterock said:

Cobretti said:

Mini stroke .
You'll know that Hil is going to run if Bill drops dead suddenly.
Whiskey Pete
OsoCoreyell said:

Canada2017 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

whiterock said:

Cobretti said:

Mini stroke .
You'll know that Hil is going to run if Bill drops dead suddenly.
He needs to keep his mask on so he doesn't catch the Arkansas Flu
LIB,MR BEARS
Canada2017 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

whiterock said:

Cobretti said:

Mini stroke .
quite possibly
whiterock
The Dems best choice is Michelle O and Jared Polis. Beloved First Lady and a pretty solid governor who happens to belong to an oppressed group. The alphabet media will just gush. And well they should. Those two would be quite an upgrade over Harris/Buttigieg and would be very compelling to their base, which needs to be fired up. But that presumes either of them would want to run and I'm not sure either of them would. An incumbent POTUS or VPOTUS will be hard to beat in a primary, if they run.

2024 is shaping up to be even better for a "breaker" candidate like Trump than 2016 or 2020. Everywhere there is flat out anger. Even the PTA moms are boiling mad. And Dems cannot back down without breaking their base.

I was filling gas & diesel cans (2 each) at the QT on Saturday. An older man, blue collar type not a homeless bum walked up & said" excuse me." I told him "I'm sorry, I don't have cash on me." (never carry any). He said "oh, I don't need money. My car is on fumes and I need 1 gallon of gas." I said "sure." After I got done with the diesel cans, I started in on the gas, filling his can first. He said nothing as I pumped past one gallon. Said nothing as I pumped past 2 gallons. I stopped at 3 gallons. He said "thanks" offered a firm handshake. I figured that was less than he needed but more than he asked for, so I did my part. Felt sorry for him. Things are going to get a lot worse before they get better. How are people like that gonna make it? This lot in WDC could care less.

Young mixed race kid on the other side of the pump watched it all. When I finished with my cans, he asked "how much did all that set you back?" We chatted briefly. I finished by pointing my index finger at him and said "you figure you whoever you think is responsible for all this, and you punish them in November, ok?" He laughed and nodded "oh, yeah...."

things are setting up to be transformative.
just a lot more pain before we get there.
Canada2017
whiterock said:

He laughed and nodded "oh, yeah...."

The pain is only just beginning and will express itself in only 2 possible ways .

The ballot box.

Or

Open class warfare

Dem's are going to pull out all the stops to motivate their base to stop caring about inflation , crime and open borders.

And focus on racial issues .

whiterock
Canada2017 said:

whiterock said:

The pain is only just beginning and will express itself in only 2 possible ways .

The ballot box.

Or

Open class warfare

Dem's are going to pull out all the stops to motivate their base to stop caring about inflation , crime and open borders.

We should start a pool on what date BLM militias will fire up operations. They seem to be on a two-year cycle that happens to correspond with election years. Primary season is winding down, so I think we are on the clock.
Canada2017
whiterock said:

Canada2017 said:

whiterock said:

The ballot box.

Or

Open class warfare

We should start a pool on what date BLM militias will fire up operations. They seem to be on a two-year cycle that happens to correspond with election years. Primary season is winding down, so I think we are on the clock.
Will soon be obvious to even the most casual observer that antifa and blm are stormtroopers for todays Dem party .
Cobretti
4th and Inches
Cobretti said:

“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
ShooterTX
Cobretti said:

Is he so deluded that he thinks anyone will vote for him? Most of his audience is too high or drunk to vote anyway.... most don't even know what the electoral college is in the first place.
ShooterTX
Robert Wilson
Cobretti said:

What a raging imbecile

Bright side of a movement against electoral college is it could trigger a broader conversation about this entire arrangement

Electoral college and senate were critical to the bargain
Cobretti
whiterock
Robert Wilson said:

Cobretti said:

What a raging imbecile

Bright side of a movement against electoral college is it could trigger a broader conversation about this entire arrangement

please, do it.

Third party candidate on the left would be a worst case scenario for Dems.
Canada2017
whiterock said:

Robert Wilson said:

Cobretti said:

What a raging imbecile

please, do it.

Stern would not draw enough votes to matter in the slightest.
ScottS
Hunter
4th and Inches
Canada2017 said:

whiterock said:

Robert Wilson said:

Cobretti said:

What a raging imbecile

please, do it.

would get the progressive moron vote and the anybody is better than basement dummy vote..

If they actually put out a real canidate, he wouldnt get many votes

–Horace

Whiskey Pete
ShooterTX said:

Cobretti said:

Is he so deluded that he thinks anyone will vote for him? Most of his audience is too high or drunk to vote anyway.... most don't even know what the electoral college is in the first place.
Uh yeah, he's going to have a real rough time trying to end the electoral college
ScottS
Hunter is creating an exploratory committee.
whiterock
Canada2017 said:

whiterock said:

Robert Wilson said:

Cobretti said:

What a raging imbecile

please, do it.

He would if Hillary (or any other moderate) is the nominee. He'd be a protest vote for the left wing.

In each of those states Biden won by 10-50k votes, a loud left-wing 3rd party candidate could, in certain scenarios, bleed off enough to cost Dems the victory in those states. Such a candidate on the ballot would limit how far the Democrat nominee could move to the center, as doing so would reflexively drive up the protest vote, putting several swing states in jeopardy for them.

Oldbear83
ScottS said:

Hunter is creating an exploratory committee.
Yeah, but he's investigating the cocaine supply crisis.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
quash
ScottS said:

Hunter

Stormy.

I like this game.
Cobretti
ScruffyD
Gavin Newsome will

Roy Cooper should. Somewhat moderate although Fox will have him painted as the founder of Antifa within 24 hours of announcing.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
It will be Michelle Obama. Kamala is gonna be pissed!!!!! That part will be fun to watch.

She will begin her America Sucks tour shortly after announcing.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
Harrison Bergeron
Let's see:
1. A VP whose only qualification is being a half-Indian, half-black woman who polished Willie Brown's knob
2. A secretary of "transportation" whose only qualification is polishing knobs
3. A Ken Doll who may be the second worst governor in the nation
4. A charmless shrew whose only qualification is not polishing the knob of the 42nd president
5. A charmless shrew shrew whose only qualification is pretending to be an American Inidan
6. An octogenarian communist whose exploited capitalism and not working like few others

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.