Scripture -- Authority and Interpretation

2,411 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Waco1947
Waco1947
How long do you want to ignore this user?
There's a difference between the authority of the scripture and our interpretations.
We progressives believe in its authority (which is personified in Jesus in whom we live, love and have our being) not the interpretation of others.
You may have your interpretation but do not claim it as the one and only final interpretation.
Evangelicals ior traditionalist are too driven and insist on their interpretation.
Full disclosure
I got this idea from a pastor in Arkansas
Waco1947
Doc Holliday
Everything is an interpretation, including your reality which is being hallucinated by your brain.
ShooterTX
Waco1947 said:

There's a difference between the authority of the scripture and our interpretations.
We progressives believe in its authority (which is personified in Jesus in whom we live, love and have our being) not the interpretation of others.
You may have your interpretation but do not claim it as the one and only final interpretation.
Evangelicals ior traditionalist are too driven and insist on their interpretation.
Full disclosure
I got this idea from a pastor in Arkansas Satan.
FIFY
ShooterTX
BusyTarpDuster2017
Yaaay! The Bible can mean whatever we want it to mean!
Married A Horn
Why do you post?
Married A Horn

Hutto Hippo
Trinity Trojan
LIB,MR BEARS
Waco1947 said:

Full disclosure
I have it on good authority that after all the fluff is removed, it can be edited down to this:

Judas hung himself. Go forth and do likewise.
bearhouse
LIB,MR BEARS said:

Waco1947 said:

Full disclosure
I have it on good authority that after all the fluff is removed, it can be edited down to this:

Shame on you. This is unacceptable.
LIB,MR BEARS
bearhouse said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Waco1947 said:

Full disclosure

are you imposing your interpretations on me? Isn't this exactly what 47 is against?

SHAME ON YOU!!
LIB,MR BEARS
bearhouse said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Waco1947 said:

Full disclosure

Yes, shame on me. But it does illustrate the absurdity of 47's post
Canada2017
Waco1947 said:

Full disclosure
Yet you STILL hide from the most obvious question 'minister'.

Exactly WHERE did you receive your theology degree ?

Are you really that ashamed of your sheepskin ?
BearN
bearhouse said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Waco1947 said:

Full disclosure

It's an old joke about misinterpreting scripture. It is 100% relevant to the heretical OP. Don't be so obtuse.
BusyTarpDuster2017
LIB,MR BEARS said:

bearhouse said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Waco1947 said:

Full disclosure

You were doing great. You didn't need to cave
OsoCoreyell
So, the Bible has authority, but what it is doing with that authority is totally up to your interpretation, subject to no boundaries or principles?

That's just claptrap.
Mothra
Waco1947 said:

Full disclosure
It is your position that only your personal interpretation of scripture has authority, but evangelicals and traditionalists insist on their interpretation?

Surely you recognize the irony in that position, don't you?
BearN
Mothra said:

Waco1947 said:

Full disclosure
It is your position that only your personal interpretation of scripture has authority, but evangelicals and traditionalists insist on their interpretation?

The cognitive dissonance is real.
Married A Horn
LIB,MR BEARS said:

bearhouse said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Waco1947 said:

Full disclosure

He didnt get it. Everyone else did.
Married A Horn

Hutto Hippo
Trinity Trojan
bearhouse
LIB,MR BEARS said:

bearhouse said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Waco1947 said:

Full disclosure

Any person willing to reconsider their words is displaying wisdom. I respect that.

This board will convict me of my ignorance of the history of this quote. I am fine with that. I'd rather be convicted by my peers for ignorance than convicted by my God for a callous heart.

My life has been grossly impacted by the pain of suicide. We need to be cautious with our words, not causing anyone to stumble.

Peace to you.
JXL
Waco1947 said:

Full disclosure

Is that your interpretation?
BusyTarpDuster2017
bearhouse said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

bearhouse said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Waco1947 said:

Full disclosure

Any person willing to reconsider their words is displaying wisdom. I respect that.

This board will convict me of my ignorance of the history of this quote. I am fine with that. I'd rather be convicted by my peers for ignorance than convicted by my God for a callous heart.

My life has been grossly impacted by the pain of suicide. We need to be cautious with our words, not causing anyone to stumble.

Peace to you.
A joke which brings up suicide to highlight the absurdity of someone's argument is not what causes others to stumble. What causes a weaker brother to stumble is distorting God's word through interpretations that justify sin like abortion, the homosexual lifestyle, transgenderism, gay marriage, and the idea that you don't even need Jesus to be saved. A progressive "Christian" needs to worry about a lot more than being convicted by God for a callous heart if they are misleading others in this way.
Married A Horn
Had a conversation with a lesbian chick on a Christian forum one time. She was causing all sorts of trouble and going after anyone that didnt accept her. She just completely hijacked the forum.

My first message to her was: Was I wrong to judge?

She replied with: YES!! (Followed by a few paragraphs of garbage that I didnt read)

My next reply: Are you judging me?

She exited the room and never returned.

Using people's flawed logic right back at them is extremely effective.
Married A Horn

Hutto Hippo
Trinity Trojan
bearhouse
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

bearhouse said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

bearhouse said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Waco1947 said:

Full disclosure

Peace to you.
A joke which brings up suicide to highlight the absurdity of someone's argument is not what causes others to stumble. What causes a weaker brother to stumble is distorting God's word through interpretations that justify sin like abortion, the homosexual lifestyle, transgenderism, gay marriage, and the idea that you don't even need Jesus to be saved. A progressive "Christian" needs to worry about a lot more than being convicted by God for a callous heart if they are misleading others in this way.
So you say.
Forest Bueller_bf
Waco1947 said:

Evangelicals or traditionalist are too driven and insist on their interpretation.
Full disclosure
Seriously, you are about the only one on here who is continually posting new thread after new thread insisting on your interpretation.

Nobody and I mean nobody I have ever met online or in person, tries to force their particular interpretation on others as forcefully as you do.

Maybe a little self examination on the point above.

It's not that evangelicals are trying to force their interpretation on anybody, it's that you don't agree with the way they divide the word of God and you are trying to force your interpretation on them.

And you drone on it over and over and over and over and over, almost like you are still trying to convince yourself.

All that said, ignore the Judas joke someone tried to make a point with, we are all sinners, we all have a place at the table, if we will turn back to Him.
Waco1947
bearhouse said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Waco1947 said:

Full disclosure

Flag lib mr bear it gets the mods attention. I already have
Waco1947
Waco1947
Forest Bueller_bf said:

Waco1947 said:

Evangelicals or traditionalist are too driven and insist on their interpretation.
Full disclosure
Seriously, you are about the only one on here who is continually posting new thread after new thread insisting on your interpretation. Insisting? How I do I "insist?"

Nobody and I mean nobody I have ever met online or in person, tries to force their particular interpretation on others as forcefully than you do. "Force? Having a different interpretation is not "forcing" anyone. It is simply

Maybe a little self examination on the point above. My complaint about Evangelicals is their insistence on having the only interpretation. An Evangelical interpretation is simply one of many in Christendom.

It's not that evangelicals are trying to force their interpretation on anybody, it's that you don't agree with the way they divide the word of God and you are trying to force your interpretation on them. "What? There that forcing again.

And you drone on it over and over and over and over and over, almost like you are still trying to convince yourself. There are those who think differently than evangelicals. My thoughts are there for you to debate, discuss, stir you up, and maybe think critically about your doctrine. Your faith is not my concern. You know if you are a disciple or not but many here profess Jesus and still demean me. I would have to question their Christian behavior.

All that said, ignore the Judas joke someone tried to make a point with, we are all sinners, we all have a place at the table, if we will turn back to Him.

We are indeed welcomed at the table but there is no requirement of "turning back to Him." The table of bread and wine is a means to grace. At the table one discovers the God who cares for them and then they turn around. Read the parables of the banquets in the gospels. Jesus says, "The reign of God is like these who are welcome at the table - the least, the last, and the lost."
"Turning back to Him" is works righteousness. "Do this and you get to the table." No, We are welcomed period.

I take back my mind reading about "Evangelicals are too driven." That was unfair. My apologies.
Waco1947
Forest Bueller_bf
bearhouse said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

bearhouse said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Waco1947 said:

Full disclosure

Peace to you.
I had 2 first cousins commit suicide, I hear where you are coming from. One who was over a decade older than me, came and visited our family out of nowhere, the summer than she hung herself. It was a good visit and she seemed happy. Looking back she was probably thinking about it already and wanting to rekindle old connections.

My next door neighbors son also commited suicide as a grown man, his wife had left him, his son was a drug dealer/user and he was obviously tortured. He walked out in the front yard one day and shot himself in the head. He was one of the kindest men I had ever met.
Waco1947
Mothra said:

Waco1947 said:

Full disclosure
It is your position that only your personal interpretation of scripture has authority, but evangelicals and traditionalists insist on their interpretation? You made this up. It's not what I said at all. I apologize for the "insist" comment. It was mind reading.

Waco1947
Waco1947
LIB,MR BEARS said:

bearhouse said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Waco1947 said:

Full disclosure

That's not an apology. No, it does illustrate the absurdity of my post.
Waco1947
Waco1947
Forest Bueller_bf said:

bearhouse said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

bearhouse said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Waco1947 said:

Full disclosure

Peace to you.
I had 2 first cousins commit suicide, I hear where you are coming from. One who was over a decade older than me, came and visited our family out of nowhere, the summer than she hung herself. It was a good visit and she seemed happy. Looking back she was probably thinking about it already and wanting to rekindle old connections.

My next door neighbors son also commited suicide as a grown man, his wife had left him, his son was a drug dealer/user and he was obviously tortured. He walked out in the front yard one day and shot himself in the head. He was one of the kindest men I had ever met.
I am so sorry
Waco1947
Waco1947
OsoCoreyell said:

So, the Bible has authority, Read the text of OP. The authority of the Bible is rooted in Jesus. He is the Word of God -- in life, works, and words. If Jesus says it then it is true. Jesus said, "I am the truth' and it is the truth of him in which I believe not your interpretation.

but what it is doing with that authority is totally up to your interpretation, subject to no boundaries or principles? The boundaries and principles (and values) are Jesus. I stated that clearly.

That's just claptrap. Read my comments and get back to me. What is it about Jesus being my authority and truth that bothers you?
Waco1947
Canada2017
Forest Bueller_bf said:

bearhouse said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

bearhouse said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Waco1947 said:

Full disclosure

Peace to you.
He walked out in the front yard one day and shot himself in the head. He was one of the kindest men I had ever met.

Vividly recall the grim assessment of an emergency room surgeon as he was attempting ( successfully ) to save the life of a suicide attempt.......

" It is usually the nice ones who kill themselves. "
Forest Bueller_bf
Canada2017 said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

bearhouse said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

bearhouse said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Waco1947 said:

Full disclosure

Peace to you.
He walked out in the front yard one day and shot himself in the head. He was one of the kindest men I had ever met.

Vividly recall the grim assessment of an emergency room surgeon as he was attempting ( successfully ) to save the life of a suicide attempt.......

I should have added that about my first cousin who visited us before she committed suicide. She was an extremely kind hearted person too.
Canada2017
Forest Bueller_bf said:

Canada2017 said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

bearhouse said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

bearhouse said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Waco1947 said:

Full disclosure

Peace to you.

I should have added that about my first cousin who visited us before she committed suicide. She was an extremely kind hearted person too.
Totally believe both you and that surgeon .
Mothra
Waco1947 said:

Mothra said:

Waco1947 said:

Full disclosure
It is your position that only your personal interpretation of scripture has authority, but evangelicals and traditionalists insist on their interpretation? You made this up. It's not what I said at all. I apologize for the "insist" comment. It was mind reading.

You said that you believe in scripture's authority, but not the interpretation of others. That suggests, if not outright states, that the only interpretation you believe to have authority is your own.

I am not sure there's any other way to interpret that statement.
Waco1947
Mothra said:

Waco1947 said:

Mothra said:

Waco1947 said:

Full disclosure

You said that you believe in scripture's authority, but not the interpretation of others. That suggests, if not outright states, that the only interpretation you believe to have authority is your own.

Right I do not believe your interpretation but I believe mine. Scriptures' authority is Jesus not my interpretation or yours
Waco1947
BusyTarpDuster2017
Waco1947 said:

Mothra said:

Waco1947 said:

Mothra said:

Waco1947 said:

Full disclosure

Right I do not believe your interpretation but I believe mine. Scriptures' authority is Jesus not my interpretation or yours
Your argument is circular. You are saying your interpretation of Scripture is based on the authority of who Jesus is.......but who he is, is based on your interpretation of Scripture.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.