Russia mobilizes

194,739 Views | 4259 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by sombear
Oldbear83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Golem said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Canada2017 said:

whiterock said:

Canada2017 said:

Cutting gas means they EU will have to pump billions into green energy because EU is anti hydrocarbon, or they'll have to buy much more gas from the US. Probably both.
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Fear is the most powerful motivator.

I think this is what's going on:

You are probably right that the EU will not reconsider its position on nukes, coal, or green energy. It is really silly to be that hard headed, but here we (and they) are.
You guys really think that Biden has the balls to pull this? He and Obama sent blankets when left to their own. You really think OBiden would take this tact??? I say no way. The guy was scared to leave the basement.

Russia did this and will blame West. This is the first move on the Baltics. You will start to hear that Russia tried,but can't have the Baltics and Ukraine in the West.
Do you know what the CIA has done around the world for the past 70 years?!

I want to believe the US is wholesome, good and by the book...but that's not even close to reality.

Causing a Russian pipeline to self destruct the day before a new Norwegian pipeline becomes operational, amid overall context of Russia being caught in another military quagmire it likely cannot win, is as wholesome as it gets, brother. Time to open a bottle if King Alex and savor a good days work for the taxpayer.
Man I just don't want to get hoodwinked Into war based on things they're not telling us.

I don't want more people to die.

That's my motivation behind my skepticism.

The best way to stop a war is to win it.

The best way to stop a war is not to enter one .

There are many countries who have joyfully and successfully avoided the self destructive role of 'world's policeman ' .

The United States only fully embraced such role upon the conclusion of WW2 .

And the body bags have been arriving periodically ever since .

Of course the vast majority of those who promote such a role…rarely if ever risk their own lives in the resulting carnage.

They remain in the rear with the gear or safely thousands of miles away in the cushy confines of the elites .

Of course. If Russia had not entered into war with Ukraine, we would not be having this discussion. But they did. So we are.
And round and round we go.

Obama gets involved with Ukrainian politics. Putin considers the actions a form of regime change.

Harris invites Ukrainian application into NATO despite Putin's placement of over 200,000 troops along the border .

No defense treaty between Ukraine and the United States but Biden (?) commits almost 20 billion dollars to Ukrainian defense. Dollars utilized to kill Russian soldiers .

But of course this is all Putin's doing..........and whatever happens next ....it is all his responsibility .

Who could possibly doubt it ?

But Obama got involved, why?

We can take that merry-go-round back 1200 years to the death of Yaroslav the Wise. the consistent facts going all the way back are: Ukraine exists. Others want it in their sphere of influence. Ukrainians get a say.

The current facts are: we are a bigger, badder mofo than Russia, so if we want to make Russia pay dearly to eat up parts of Ukraine by supporting Ukrainian self-determination, we can, we will, and there's not a damned thing Russia can do about it but go home. It happens to be in our interests to maintain a Ukrainian state that is either neutral or in our orbit (not synonymous with "in Nato"). Our position in the matter is considerably more noble than Russia's.

those who are mightily persuaded by Putin's rhetoric on nukes need to remember Putin's rhetoric on Russian influence in Eastern Europe. They want to reconstitute a Warsaw Pact structure. They will have to collapse Nato to do that. They know that collapsing Nato is a highly combustible policy. And they're willing to threaten nukes in their first faltering step on that path. If we don't grab their thumbs and holler bull****, they'll keep coming and threatening to use nukes to get their way.

There is no appeasing Russia here. Russians are bullies. We have to keep poking them in the eye until they stop being bullies. Otherwise we risk a real-life Cuban missile crisis in Eastern Europe by 2030 or so.

Thank you very much, General Turgidson.

Don't sass your betters, boy.
Let's be fair, Golem. If Sam never spoke to his betters, he'd almost never get to speak.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
Redbrickbear

FLBear5630
Redbrickbear said:

India has three contested areas with China, Pakistan and Nepal. They ads not going to set a precedint that binds them
trey3216
whiterock said:

Redbrickbear said:

Are there conspiracies? Of course. Are all of these? I really doubt it. I believe there is some opportunism involved, such as the Maine. Some propaganda like WMD. Lusitania was carrying munitions, which would make it a target.
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I just think people mistake opportunism for conspiracy. The only 2 I know of was Watergate and Iran-Contra, they are proven.
Yep. WMD was a lot of propaganda, but also had some truth to it (even if it was old truth). We know for a fact Saddam had WMD's because he killed nearly a million of his own countrymen with them in the 80's. Could those have been transported to Syria and other locales prior to our invasion in '03? Absolutely. Do I think GWB is the devil because he believed the intelligence briefed to him by an extremely trustworthy former General as well as his VP? Absolutely not.

Sounds like a good summation of reasons not to trust the unaccountable intelligence services.

y'all are talking about my era here. I saw all that reporting. Given what we knew to be obviously true (Saddam made them, used them, had them, etc...was talking to AQ specifically about them, and was still trying to buy raw materials around the world), what we did not know (no direct access to the program), and that they were still pulling body parts out of the WTC rubble, 43 had no choice but to take Saddam out.

That was the default position any analyst would have to take (had, them, used them, etc....).
To change status quo assessment, one would need a credible stream of well-sourced intel saying otherwise.
We did not have that.

The idiom would be to take out all the furniture in the Oval Office except the desk. Fill the room with stacks of paper chest high. On the desk, set a manila folder with a couple dozen pieces of paper inside. Those stacks out on the floor were all the reports about acquiring materials, using them on his own people, his manufacturing capabilities, etc.... That manila folder on the desk said "he destroyed his inventory during first gulf war to deny evidence should he get tried for war crimes."

That's it.
Slam dunk analysis.
Rogue regime with WMDs, engaging in state terror operations against the USA (I was part of a "Meritoriius Unit" award for stopping one), and staring to consider helping AQ.

We should stop plowing the oceans on this.
We knew plenty enough to make a policy decision.
We made the right one.

The slam dunk became a curveball.
When has not addressing a dictator or aggressive nations ever resulted in saving lifes? At some point we, the Western/1st World, will end up having to confront those nations that do not respect sovereignty . The longer you wait the more of our people that will end up dying. Ignoring or appeasement does not work. Saying we are staying out will result in a worst scenario later. Dealing with Putin in Ukraine, is better than dealing with him in the Baltics, Finland or Poland. Dealing with China now, is better than dealing with them in Taiwan or Korea.

I know we disagree on this, but I don't see how yours and Canada's view creates a better situation down the line. I actually see a self-fulfilling prophecy of more US troops being involved in dying by not engaging early.
exactly.

The moment Putin consolidates Ukraine, the process repeats in Poland......destabilization, usurpation, etc..... Might take a decade or two to crescendo. But as long as Kaliningrad exists, Russis will strive for a land bridge. And success of such policy will collapse Nato. Zero sum.

There is no better defense against that scenario than an independent Ukraine.

Ergo the current conflict.
I see where you are coming from but simply disagree.

1. Putin and Russia are simply incapable of actually taking Ukraine. Militarily they just don't have the power to do it. At best they might be able to hold on to some oblasts in the east that are already Russian speaking. And its very possible they will get beaten and driven out of there even.

2. But lets say they did and in some domino effect Poland or Slovakia were the next target. That is why we have NATO. Those countries (unlike Ukraine) are in NATO and an attack on them would mean war against the USA, Britain, France, Germany, Turkey, and the other 25 nations in the alliance. Russia would be crushed in such a conflict.
1. They can definitely take it. Eventually, 150m overwhelms 50m. Had Kiev fallen, they'd already have it. Had we not stepped forward with hundreds of billions of dollars in military aid, they'd already have it. Sure, they'd have an insurgency, but that'd take many, many years to succeed, and might never succeed. Look at Grozny. Russia will do the brutal things it takes to make insurgencies die by means other than losing the battel for hearts & minds. Simply amazing to be where we are at the moment. Which is why I critique Biden regime. Need to roll up the Russian lines and re-establish Ukrainian sovereignty before Russia mobilizes, which has already happened, so we are still behind.....

2. You misinterpret the scenario I laid out. Of course they will not invade Poland or Slovakia. But they can start to meddle in domestic politics and get pro-Moscow regimes elected, which would always be a threat to withdraw from Nato, etc.....

Russia will not invade a Nato nation.
Russia will seek to politically destabilize a Nato nation, causing a crisis in Nato.

Yes, all of that would be years down the road. But if we let Russia have & digest Ukraine, we have no doubt that will be the next chapter. And Poland will be the first target - land bridge to Kaliningrad.
They can't take it now. They might could have 8 months ago, but not now. They've lost too much equipment and don't have the productive capacity to replace it. The guys getting mobilized are having to start GoFundMe's to crowd source their equipment to take to war because the army is not supplying it to them. They're going to get mowed down in catastrophic fashion right now due to the technological and "defend the homeland" advantage that Ukraine has.

Russia needed 1mm troops from the outset to take Ukraine. They sent 180,000. They're now at 60k+ dead and almost 150k injured/maimed. And that was their trained troops. So now they're going to send in a bunch of untrained guys from 18-60 years old with no equipment, no winter gear, and no food into a war against an enemy that won't think twice to mow them down like a hayfield.
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
whiterock
trey3216 said:

whiterock said:

Redbrickbear said:

Are there conspiracies? Of course. Are all of these? I really doubt it. I believe there is some opportunism involved, such as the Maine. Some propaganda like WMD. Lusitania was carrying munitions, which would make it a target.
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I just think people mistake opportunism for conspiracy. The only 2 I know of was Watergate and Iran-Contra, they are proven.
Yep. WMD was a lot of propaganda, but also had some truth to it (even if it was old truth). We know for a fact Saddam had WMD's because he killed nearly a million of his own countrymen with them in the 80's. Could those have been transported to Syria and other locales prior to our invasion in '03? Absolutely. Do I think GWB is the devil because he believed the intelligence briefed to him by an extremely trustworthy former General as well as his VP? Absolutely not.

Sounds like a good summation of reasons not to trust the unaccountable intelligence services.

y'all are talking about my era here. I saw all that reporting. Given what we knew to be obviously true (Saddam made them, used them, had them, etc...was talking to AQ specifically about them, and was still trying to buy raw materials around the world), what we did not know (no direct access to the program), and that they were still pulling body parts out of the WTC rubble, 43 had no choice but to take Saddam out.

That was the default position any analyst would have to take (had, them, used them, etc....).
To change status quo assessment, one would need a credible stream of well-sourced intel saying otherwise.
We did not have that.

The idiom would be to take out all the furniture in the Oval Office except the desk. Fill the room with stacks of paper chest high. On the desk, set a manila folder with a couple dozen pieces of paper inside. Those stacks out on the floor were all the reports about acquiring materials, using them on his own people, his manufacturing capabilities, etc.... That manila folder on the desk said "he destroyed his inventory during first gulf war to deny evidence should he get tried for war crimes."

That's it.
Slam dunk analysis.
Rogue regime with WMDs, engaging in state terror operations against the USA (I was part of a "Meritoriius Unit" award for stopping one), and staring to consider helping AQ.

We made the right one.

When has not addressing a dictator or aggressive nations ever resulted in saving lifes? At some point we, the Western/1st World, will end up having to confront those nations that do not respect sovereignty . The longer you wait the more of our people that will end up dying. Ignoring or appeasement does not work. Saying we are staying out will result in a worst scenario later. Dealing with Putin in Ukraine, is better than dealing with him in the Baltics, Finland or Poland. Dealing with China now, is better than dealing with them in Taiwan or Korea.

I know we disagree on this, but I don't see how yours and Canada's view creates a better situation down the line. I actually see a self-fulfilling prophecy of more US troops being involved in dying by not engaging early.
exactly.

The moment Putin consolidates Ukraine, the process repeats in Poland......destabilization, usurpation, etc..... Might take a decade or two to crescendo. But as long as Kaliningrad exists, Russis will strive for a land bridge. And success of such policy will collapse Nato. Zero sum.

1. Putin and Russia are simply incapable of actually taking Ukraine. Militarily they just don't have the power to do it. At best they might be able to hold on to some oblasts in the east that are already Russian speaking. And its very possible they will get beaten and driven out of there even.

2. But lets say they did and in some domino effect Poland or Slovakia were the next target. That is why we have NATO. Those countries (unlike Ukraine) are in NATO and an attack on them would mean war against the USA, Britain, France, Germany, Turkey, and the other 25 nations in the alliance. Russia would be crushed in such a conflict.
1. They can definitely take it. Eventually, 150m overwhelms 50m. Had Kiev fallen, they'd already have it. Had we not stepped forward with hundreds of billions of dollars in military aid, they'd already have it. Sure, they'd have an insurgency, but that'd take many, many years to succeed, and might never succeed. Look at Grozny. Russia will do the brutal things it takes to make insurgencies die by means other than losing the battel for hearts & minds. Simply amazing to be where we are at the moment. Which is why I critique Biden regime. Need to roll up the Russian lines and re-establish Ukrainian sovereignty before Russia mobilizes, which has already happened, so we are still behind.....

2. You misinterpret the scenario I laid out. Of course they will not invade Poland or Slovakia. But they can start to meddle in domestic politics and get pro-Moscow regimes elected, which would always be a threat to withdraw from Nato, etc.....

Russia will seek to politically destabilize a Nato nation, causing a crisis in Nato.

Yes, all of that would be years down the road. But if we let Russia have & digest Ukraine, we have no doubt that will be the next chapter. And Poland will be the first target - land bridge to Kaliningrad.
They can't take it now. They might could have 8 months ago, but not now. They've lost too much equipment and don't have the productive capacity to replace it. The guys getting mobilized are having to start GoFundMe's to crowd source their equipment to take to war because the army is not supplying it to them. They're going to get mowed down in catastrophic fashion right now due to the technological and "defend the homeland" advantage that Ukraine has.

Russia needed 1mm troops from the outset to take Ukraine. They sent 180,000. They're now at 60k+ dead and almost 150k injured/maimed. And that was their trained troops. So now they're going to send in a bunch of untrained guys from 18-60 years old with no equipment, no winter gear, and no food into a war against an enemy that won't think twice to mow them down like a hayfield.
Lots of good stuff there, and certainly accurate for a 6-12 month time frame.

But. In a long term war of attrition, Ukraine is at enormous disadvantages. Time is not on their side. They need to WIN it....to drive Russia out of Donbas and recapture the Crimea in that 6-12 month time frame -- to end it, a crushing defeat of Russia to force them to sue for peace.

Here's their problem: UKR is totally dependent on the US taxpayer for the money and munitions to do that. In addition, US policymakers will use that dependency to place limits on how far/fast UKR can go to win back all their territory (to avoid escalation scenarios). If/when NATO support starts to falter, the cost goes up for the US. If/when domestic politics punishes Dems in general, cost goes up for Biden admin. If the mid-terms end up as bad for them as it should, the Admin will start getting pressure from Dems to scale back commitments.

Russia has one advantage, one thing it does almost better than any nation on earth to fall back on - the ability to suffer enormously and stay in the fight. Even if UKR drive Russia totally back to pre-2014 levels.....Russia will keep leaning....keep lobbing artillery.....to outlast western resolve to resist. And the costs for UKR will keep rising....keep bleeding....keep dying. Russia did those referenda more than anything else to give itself moral authority to keep coming back for the Donbas....forever.

Long term is pretty bleak for UKR as long as Putin regime is in power.

That's why they applied again for NATO membership last week with such fanfare. The real message they were sending was "either let us win this or let us into NATO." And they have a point. What good does it do to negotiate a solution that leaves Russian troops on UKR soil? It's just a cease fire that lets them rearm. Let UKR win and become strong enough to forge its own destiny (so that it doesn't need NATO). If not, then just pony up the alliance for the long-term.

I'm among the hawkish here.
But reality is reality.
50m can only beat 150m in a lightning war.
the longer the fight goes, the more the scenarios start tipping toward 150m

trey3216
whiterock said:

trey3216 said:

whiterock said:

Redbrickbear said:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

We did not have that.

That's it.
Slam dunk analysis.

We made the right one.

exactly.

But. In a long term war of attrition, Ukraine is at enormous disadvantages. Time is not on their side. They need to WIN it....to drive Russia out of Donbas and recapture the Crimea in that 6-12 month time frame -- to end it, a crushing defeat of Russia to force them to sue for peace.

Here's their problem: UKR is totally dependent on the US taxpayer for the money and munitions to do that. In addition, US policymakers will use that dependency to place limits on how far/fast UKR can go to win back all their territory (to avoid escalation scenarios). If/when NATO support starts to falter, the cost goes up for the US. If/when domestic politics punishes Dems in general, cost goes up for Biden admin. If the mid-terms end up as bad for them as it should, the Admin will start getting pressure from Dems to scale back commitments.

Russia has one advantage, one thing it does almost better than any nation on earth to fall back on - the ability to suffer enormously and stay in the fight. Even if UKR drive Russia totally back to pre-2014 levels.....Russia will keep leaning....keep lobbing artillery.....to outlast western resolve to resist. And the costs for UKR will keep rising....keep bleeding....keep dying. Russia did those referenda more than anything else to give itself moral authority to keep coming back for the Donbas....forever.

That's why they applied again for NATO membership last week with such fanfare. The real message they were sending was "either let us win this or let us into NATO." And they have a point. What good does it do to negotiate a solution that leaves Russian troops on UKR soil? It's just a cease fire that lets them rearm. Let UKR win and become strong enough to forge its own destiny (so that it doesn't need NATO). If not, then just pony up the alliance for the long-term.

But reality is reality.

Fair points. I think that's why you see the counter-attacks styled in the manner they are currently. Ukrainians are taking some time to scout the weakest points in the Russian line. They are using massive amounts of artillery on the stronger portions of the line, the re-supply routes, and ammo depots. Then they're hitting the weak points with a fury. Once they do, they're advancing so far, so fast, that the enemy is then enveloped and unable to retreat. The entirety of the Kherson area west/north of the river is about to be completely enveloped with nowhere to escape. That's about 40% of the entirety of the remaining Russian forces in country surrounded, with no escape route, no re-supply, and on no-retreat orders from Putin. They are going to be massacred if they don't quit.

Ukraine is going fast, extremely fast right now, and they are doing it with extreme intelligence and precision, coupled with extraordinary execution on their battle plans. It's pretty remarkable to be honest.

Yes, if we're talking 3 years plus, they are not in a good spot. But I've been adamant for a while that I don't think this thing makes it to a 2 year anniversary, because Putin will be dead, or they will have had to quit because they don't have an army to defend themselves against anyone right now, let alone continue to throw bad blood after dried blood.
ATL Bear
Canada2017 said:

If Russia had played the EXACT same strategic game ……..

Russia actively supports the campaign of a Mexican candidate for president who supports Russian business interests . The candidate wins beating his rival with ties to the US.

Russia invites this new Mexican government to join a Russian led defensive alliance . With the tacit understanding Mexico
could potentially allow Russian manned nuclear warheads aimed at the United States , to be installed .

The United States determines that such a situation is a direct threat to national security ; threatens a military ' police action 'and sends 200,000 troops along the Mexican - US border .

The Russian and Mexican leadership tell the US to pound sand and Russia continues with its alliance offer .

The US sends in troops….the Russians send 20 BILLION dollars worth of weapons to the Mexican military and convinces much of the world to EMBARGO US business interests .

US military DEATHS exceed 30,000 with no end in sight .
US economy crumbles from the embargo with no end in sight .

Really think Putin bares sole responsibility for this current situation?

Done with this discussion .

Your first part describes Central America in the 1980's, and Cuba in the late 50's early 60's. We just weren't dumb enough to actually invade and try to conquer and annex those countries ala Putin. His casualties are his and his inept military's fault.
ATL Bear
RMF5630 said:

Redbrickbear said:

India has three contested areas with China, Pakistan and Nepal. They ads not going to set a precedint that binds them

They're getting oil at a tremendous discount right now. No reason to interrupt that gravy train.
BearFan33
ATL Bear said:

RMF5630 said:

Redbrickbear said:

They're getting oil at a tremendous discount right now. No reason to interrupt that gravy train.
Yes cheap oil buys you votes (or abstain) at the UN
ATL Bear
BearFan33 said:

ATL Bear said:

RMF5630 said:

Redbrickbear said:

Meaningless statement of consternation that you put your name on vs. cheap oil. Not sure that discussion took very long.
whiterock
ATL Bear said:

BearFan33 said:

ATL Bear said:

RMF5630 said:

Redbrickbear said:

Meaningless statement of consternation that you put your name on vs. cheap oil. Not sure that discussion took very long.
There is a lot to be said for cheap energy. People really like it after they've had the alternative.
Canada2017
ATL Bear said:

Canada2017 said:

Russia actively supports the campaign of a Mexican candidate for president who supports Russian business interests . The candidate wins beating his rival with ties to the US.

Russia invites this new Mexican government to join a Russian led defensive alliance . With the tacit understanding Mexico
could potentially allow Russian manned nuclear warheads aimed at the United States , to be installed .

The United States determines that such a situation is a direct threat to national security ; threatens a military ' police action 'and sends 200,000 troops along the Mexican - US border .

The Russian and Mexican leadership tell the US to pound sand and Russia continues with its alliance offer .

The US sends in troops….the Russians send 20 BILLION dollars worth of weapons to the Mexican military and convinces much of the world to EMBARGO US business interests .

Your first part describes Central America in the 1980's, and Cuba in the late 50's early 60's. We just weren't dumb enough to actually invade and try to conquer and annex those countries ala Putin. His casualties are his and his inept military's fault.
Actually we did have a large scale invasion of Mexico just prior to WW1.......didn't work out.

Occupied Nicaragua for many years early in the 20th century .

Conquered the Philippines, killing thousands of locals, after the Spanish American War . Didn't grant independence till the end of WW2.

Several other examples to see.

Again, by any fair, objective analysis .....

if the Russians attempted the EXACT same bull**** involving Mexico as the United States has pulled in Ukraine beginning with the Obama administration...........

we wouldn't tolerate it either .

No way in God's green earth does Russian / Putin shoulder all the blame for this blood fest.
whiterock
Canada2017 said:

ATL Bear said:

Canada2017 said:

Actually we did have a large scale invasion of Mexico just prior to WW1.......didn't work out.

Conquered the Philippines, killing thousands of locals, after the Spanish American War . Didn't grant independence till the end of WW2.

if the Russians attempted the EXACT same bull**** involving Mexico as the United States has pulled in Ukraine beginning with the Obama administration...........

we wouldn't tolerate either.

No way in God's green earth does Russian / Putin shoulder all the blame for this blood fest.
you were kinda ok until that last part in bold.

We did tolerate Russian bull**** in Cuba. And in Nicaragua......Russian advisors. Russian equipment. Russian alliances..... And we'd have tolerated it in Grenada, too, if the govt there hadn't have threatened Amcits.

Putin/Russia is 100% to blame here. THEY invaded. There was no threat to Mother Russia. Ukr would never invade Russia. And Russia knows that. Nato is no threat to invade Russia. And Russia knows that full well. They just wanted Ukr to be under the Russian thumb. And when their political machinations to achieve that failed, they invaded. When their invasion failed, they bombed cities by the block to purposely depopulate them. And when that failed, they annexed territory they know they will not retain by end of 2022. Just so they can have a revanchist drum to beat.

We are not the bad guys here.
Mearsheimer is a very astute man who's voice belongs in the equation.
But he forgets this very important point: we can play in the shatterzone, too.

But Russia thinks it owns the shatter zone. And that is the root cause of the problem.
the balance of power that the Mearsheimer school talks about means that nobody owns the shatterzone.
Russia is ANNEXING the shatterzone, fer crissakes......
LIB,MR BEARS
whiterock said:

trey3216 said:

whiterock said:

Redbrickbear said:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

We did not have that.

That's it.
Slam dunk analysis.

We made the right one.

exactly.

But reality is reality.

The Russian people will "sue for peace" from inside the Russian borders. When the death tolls start to mount on those troops called up, and the prisoners taken are allowed to call back home, more trouble will start to brew in the motherland.

There is enough information flowing into Russia to make things very difficult on Putin and his buds. The Russian people fare much better than the Chinese.
LIB,MR BEARS
whiterock said:

trey3216 said:

whiterock said:

Redbrickbear said:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

We did not have that.

That's it.
Slam dunk analysis.

We made the right one.

exactly.

But reality is reality.

regarding your last paragraph, the VC and the Majuhideen say hello.
Canada2017
whiterock said:

Canada2017 said:

ATL Bear said:

Canada2017 said:

We did tolerate Russian bull**** in Cuba. And in Nicaragua......Russian advisors. Russian equipment. Russian alliances..... And we'd have tolerated it in Grenada, too, if the govt there hadn't have threatened Amcits.

Putin/Russia is 100% to blame here. THEY invaded. There was no threat to Mother Russia. Ukr would never invade Russia. And Russia knows that. Nato is no threat to invade Russia. And Russia knows that full well. They just wanted Ukr to be under the Russian thumb. And when their political machinations to achieve that failed, they invaded. When their invasion failed, they bombed cities by the block to purposely depopulate them. And when that failed, they annexed territory they know they will not retain by end of 2022. Just so they can have a revanchist drum to beat.

But Russia thinks it owns the shatter zone. And that is the root cause of the problem.
the balance of power that the Mearsheimer school talks about means that nobody owns the shatterzone.

Did NOT tolerate Russian missiles in Cuba .

Kennedy put a naval blockade around the island and positioned thousands of US troops throughout Florida and the Florida Keys .

Russians backed down . Later Kennedy removed US middles in Turkey .

Nuclear missiles ( via NATO ) in Ukraine was an obvious intolerable threat to Russia . No different if Russia played regime change in Mexico then offered the Mexican government a 'defense alliance '.

The US has acted aggressively in Ukraine for years and it's bringing the potential for nuclear war closer every week .

Insanity
whiterock
Canada2017 said:

whiterock said:

Canada2017 said:

ATL Bear said:

Canada2017 said:

Kennedy put a naval blockade around the island and positioned thousands of US troops throughout Florida and the Florida Keys .

Nuclear missiles ( via NATO ) in Ukraine was an obvious intolerable threat to Russia . No different if Russia played regime change in Mexico then offered the Mexican government a 'defense alliance '.

The US has acted aggressively in Ukraine for years and it's bringing the potential for nuclear war closer every week .

Insanity
We have played the game, and well. Russia did not. That's why THEY invaded. They did not have to invade. They could have continued playing the game better, bided their time, etc.....and restored influence. That is how the game is played in shatterzones. And the irony is, Russia WAS winning. No one was going to dislodge them from Crimea. They had effectively separated the Donbas out of Ukraine. another decade or three, it's gone. Russia could have kept that up, nibble nibble nibble for decades and in less than a century all of the present-day Ukraine east of the Dnieper would have been a third nation, or actual Russian sovereign territory. Peacefully. But no. Putin derided the entire concept of a sovereign Ukraine. He could not conceive a reality in which Kiev did not fall to the mere shadow of a Russian military column advancing down the Dnieper valley.

Boy, did he miscalculate. He had everything he really wanted in his grasp. There were no sophisticated NATO weapons systems being employed by Ukr to dislodge him from the Donbas. But his appetite exceed his alimentary canal.

And RUSSIA has escalated even further with annexation. Russia has actually annexed part of a sovereign state, based on the idea that the inhabitants spontaneously wanted to be part of Russia the moment Russian troops enter their town. That is an incredibly destabilizing notion.

1-in-5 Turkish citizens are Kurds.
1-in-12 Turkish citizens are Crimean Tatars.
1-in-9 Turkish citizens have ethnic ties of some sort to another nation in the region.
Turkey stands to lose a third of its population if we allow the Putin principle to stand.
or, Turkey could subsume tens of millions of "other" peoples into "Greater Turkey," entire sovereign states, even.

We can apply that template in at least a dozen places around the world.
Borders are borders. We give up on that and good Lord the world will literally run out of bullets.

whiterock
LIB,MR BEARS said:

whiterock said:

trey3216 said:

whiterock said:

Redbrickbear said:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

We did not have that.

That's it.
Slam dunk analysis.

We made the right one.

exactly.

But reality is reality.

We did not get beat. We quit. Could still be in both places. We have the money and the population to turn them into the 51st and 52nd states, if we wanted to.

But we don't.
And we didn't.
It's not who we are.
(insert Sun Tzu quote here).
Know yourself: We do not conquer people. Not in our DNA.

The lesson: Be careful picking battles, most especially the ones you do not have the stomach to win.

Russia does not have our problem. They really don't care about the rights of anyone or anything. They only care about what is good for Mother Russia. They have none of our romantic notions about self-determination, liberty, democracy, etc...... It's a very old way of viewing the world. The big take what they want from the small. That's why we should make damned sure that Russia pays dearly, enough to face existential risk, if it wants to actually own Ukr via a campaign to reduce to rubble all cities which do not surrender. That, my friend, is not modernity. That's Batu Khan and the Golden Horde.

And no, Nato did not force Putin into acting like Batu Khan and the Golden Horde.

Sure, we can deride the liberal order. Like any order, it has its vanities and hypocrisies. But is far preferable to anything the 10th century had to offer. And that's what Russian policy in Ukraine proposes....a return to the middle ages. No one should, and no one will go gently into that good night. Putin should understand his best case scenario is to lose all the Ukrainian territory he currently occupies and retain basing rights at Sebastopol, and that the price of making Kiev actually fight to take back every square inch of its territory is to see at anchor in Sebastopol a new Ukrainian Navy which dominates the Black Sea.

Putin started his war on "desire for gain" calculations.
Putin will only end his war on "fear of loss" calculations.

We have to make him be more worried about ending the war in a worse position than desirous of ending it in a better position. He must be made to cut his losses. That's why we saw a US general float the idea of sinking the Black Sea fleet (in response to a Russian threat to use nukes). You see, Russia doesn't need Sebastopol if it doesn't have a Black Sea fleet......

HuMcK
LIB,MR BEARS
whiterock said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

whiterock said:

trey3216 said:

whiterock said:

Redbrickbear said:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

We did not have that.

That's it.
Slam dunk analysis.

We made the right one.

exactly.

But reality is reality.

We did not get beat. We quit. Could still be in both places. We have the money and the population to turn them into the 51st and 52nd states, if we wanted to.

But we don't.
And we didn't.
It's not who we are.

The lesson: Be careful picking battles, most especially the ones you do not have the stomach to win.

Russia does not have our problem. They really don't care about the rights of anyone or anything. They only care about what is good for Mother Russia. They have none of our romantic notions about self-determination, liberty, democracy, etc...... It's a very old way of viewing the world. The big take what they want from the small. That's why we should make damned sure that Russia pays dearly, enough to face existential risk, if it wants to actually own Ukr via a campaign to reduce to rubble all cities which do not surrender. That, my friend, is not modernity. That's Batu Khan and the Golden Horde.

And no, Nato did not force Putin into acting like Batu Khan and the Golden Horde.

Sure, we can deride the liberal order. Like any order, it has its vanities and hypocrisies. But is far preferable to anything the 10th century had to offer. And that's what Russian policy in Ukraine proposes....a return to the middle ages. No one should, and no one will go gently into that good night. Putin should understand his best case scenario is to lose all the Ukrainian territory he currently occupies and retain basing rights at Sebastopol, and that the price of making Kiev actually fight to take back every square inch of its territory is to see at anchor in Sebastopol a new Ukrainian Navy which dominates the Black Sea.

We have to make him be more worried about ending the war in a worse position than desirous of ending it in a better position. He must be made to cut his losses. That's why we saw a US general float the idea of sinking the Black Sea fleet (in response to a Russian threat to use nukes). You see, Russia doesn't need Sebastopol if it doesn't have a Black Sea fleet......

Russia quit once due to the Majuhideen.
Golem
LIB,MR BEARS said:

whiterock said:

trey3216 said:

whiterock said:

Redbrickbear said:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

We did not have that.

That's it.
Slam dunk analysis.

We made the right one.

exactly.

But reality is reality.

That's only because they fought an enemy with moral limits who was on the ground. If they do what white rock said…

" Russia will keep leaning....keep lobbing artillery.....to outlast western resolve to resist. And the costs for UKR will keep rising....keep bleeding....keep dying. "

…then Afghanistan and Vietnam are no longer analogs.
Canada2017
whiterock said:

Canada2017 said:

whiterock said:

Canada2017 said:

ATL Bear said:

Canada2017 said:

Insanity

We have played the game, and well. Russia did not.

A. The slaughter of thousands of men , women , and children is NO GAME. The destruction of peoples homes , businesses and way of life is NO GAME.

B. The United States contributed to the onset of this carnage by getting directly involved in Ukraine politics, pushing for Ukrainian membership into NATO and ignoring Putin's REPEATED warnings that NATO weapons in Ukraine would be an intolerable threat to Russian security.

A position the United States would have certainly duplicated if Russia declared a similar defense alliance with Mexico involving the eventual emplacement of nuclear weapons .

C. This GAME ( as you call it ) is NOT beneficial to the people of the United States . We are NOT obligated to play worlds policeman. Over 100,000 US servicemen have been killed since the end of WW2 in various ' police actions ' and the only ones to benefit are the weapons manufacturers.

Insanity
trey3216
Canada2017 said:

whiterock said:

Canada2017 said:

ATL Bear said:

Canada2017 said:

Insanity
nuclear misssiles (via NATO) were never getting put in Ukraine. Playing Putin as the victim here is sad, illogical, and indefensible. I guess Grozny was the Chechens fault. Georgia/South Ossetia as well. It's amazing how many land grabs are not Putin/Russia's fault, but the fault of the people who live there and want to live under their own rule. Those pesky hillbillies, wanting to have their own nations. They don't know how bad they need Mother Russia and how bad Mother will roll into their towns sand flatten them if they don't bow down and kiss the ring.
Canada2017
trey3216 said:

Canada2017 said:

whiterock said:

Canada2017 said:

ATL Bear said:

Canada2017 said:

Insanity
nuclear misssiles (via NATO) were never getting put in Ukraine. Playing Putin as the victim here is sad, illogical, and indefensible. I guess Grozny was the Chechens fault. Georgia/South Ossetia as well. It's amazing how many land grabs are not Putin/Russia's fault, but the fault of the people who live there and want to live under their own rule. Those pesky hillbillies, wanting to have their own nations. They don't know how bad they need Mother Russia and how bad Mother will roll into their towns sand flatten them if they don't bow down and kiss the ring.
No matter how you slice it, flip it or deflect it......the United States has ZERO obligation to defend every country in the world from perceived injustice.

Especially when our own country is TRILLIONS of dollars in debt, have over 100,000 of its citizens dying from drug overdoses every year and hundreds of thousands of mentally ill, homeless people living on the streets.

Novel concept.......lets focus on our own problems .
whiterock
Putin actually rattling the saber.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/19985372/footage-putin-elite-nuclear-forces-signal-to-west/

If true (mainstream outlets have not yet reported, story could be disinformation) he will reposition this train. A few times. Always closer to Ukraine. He will next conduct a test of theater nuclear weapons within Russia. Then, he may do a demonstration fire within Ukr, possibly from Crimean territory (already annexed) out over the Black Sea.

Then he will await diplomatic and military responses.

We should continue all necessary support for Ukraine.
If he's going to threaten to use them, call his bluff.
Make him use them.

Call his bluff now, before American troops are in the potential blast zone.
whiterock
whiterock said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

whiterock said:

trey3216 said:

whiterock said:

Redbrickbear said:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

We did not have that.

That's it.
Slam dunk analysis.

We made the right one.

exactly.

But reality is reality.

But we don't.
And we didn't.
It's not who we are.

Elon has been reading my stuff. Well, he'd let Russia have all of Crimea instead of just Sebastopol, but frankly I wouldn't let that difference get in the way of peace, subject to some concessions on Ukrainian mineral rights in the Black Sea. the new plebescites are an interesting idea. Russia could not reject them out of hand. To do so undermines what little legitimacy the ones he had afforde him.
https://nypost.com/2022/10/03/elon-musks-peace-proposal-to-end-russia-ukraine-war-sparks-outrage/

Russia will of course reject this.
Bear8084
whiterock said:

Putin actually rattling the saber.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/19985372/footage-putin-elite-nuclear-forces-signal-to-west/

If true (mainstream outlets have not yet reported, story could be disinformation) he will reposition this train. A few times. Always closer to Ukraine. He will next conduct a test of theater nuclear weapons within Russia. Then, he may do a demonstration fire within Ukr, possibly from Crimean territory (already annexed) out over the Black Sea.

Then he will await diplomatic and military responses.

We should continue all necessary support for Ukraine.
If he's going to threaten to use them, call his bluff.
Make him use them.

Call his bluff now, before American troops are in the potential blast zone.

They move them all the time. Current intel shows no nuclear forces escalation or movements outside the norm.
trey3216
Canada2017 said:

whiterock said:

Canada2017 said:

ATL Bear said:

Canada2017 said:

Insanity
Salt of the Earth people. They are the victims for sure.

FLBear5630
Canada2017 said:

trey3216 said:

Canada2017 said:

whiterock said:

Canada2017 said:

ATL Bear said:

Canada2017 said:

Insanity
No matter how you slice it, flip it or deflect it......the United States has ZERO obligation to defend every country in the world from perceived injustice.

Especially when our own country is TRILLIONS of dollars in debt, have over 100,000 of its citizens dying from drug overdoses every year and hundreds of thousands of mentally ill, homeless people living on the streets.

Novel concept.......lets focus on our own problems .
Yeah, turtling up will help.

But, I do agree we need to be selective. In my opinion these are some of the credible military actions we need to continue.

Freedom of Navigation
Africa Anti-Piracy
Straits of Homez (sp?)
UN Peace Keeping
Space - Satellite, moon and deep space
Antarctica and Arctic Operations

There are several strategically important areas that we either have treaties or would have treaties with but that would escalate, so we don't but it is know we will help as much as we can.

NATO
Korea
Japan
Taiwan
Ukraine & Baltics
Finland & Sweden
Israel
Saudi Arabia & Kuwait

I believe we need to be more active in South America and maintain our relationships with Australia.

Those are the areas off the top of my head that it is worth the US getting involved. I am sure there are others, but this is on the fly.
Canada2017

Months of internet saber rattling about how the United States should aid Ukraine .

But not a single Rambo has actually enlisted to go over there.

Shocking
Wrecks Quan Dough
Canada2017 said:

Months of internet saber rattling about how the United States should aid Ukraine .

Shocking
Meh to this type of argument. If I change my screenname to Kissinger, then am I required to sign up for the diplomatic service before expressing an opinion?
Redbrickbear
whiterock said:

whiterock said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

whiterock said:

trey3216 said:

whiterock said:

Redbrickbear said:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

We did not have that.

That's it.
Slam dunk analysis.

We made the right one.

exactly.

But reality is reality.

But we don't.
And we didn't.
It's not who we are.

Elon has been reading my stuff. Well, he'd let Russia have all of Crimea instead of just Sebastopol, but frankly I wouldn't let that difference get in the way of peace, subject to some concessions on Ukrainian mineral rights in the Black Sea. the new plebescites are an interesting idea. Russia could not reject them out of hand. To do so undermines what little legitimacy the ones he had afforde him.
https://nypost.com/2022/10/03/elon-musks-peace-proposal-to-end-russia-ukraine-war-sparks-outrage/

Russia will of course reject this.
Yea, Elon is coming at this from a logical peace focused perspective.

Something Russia and the Ukraine/US/EU are not willing to do.

Russia will not let free elections/referenda take place in Kherson, Zaporizhzhia, Kharkiv because they know they would lose.

And Ukraine/US/EU would not want free elections/referenda taking place in Luhansk & Donetsk because they know they would lose.

Neither of these factions have any real interest in letting the actual residents of these oblasts chose their nationality and exercise self determination.
FLBear5630
Canada2017 said:

Shocking
I guess Foreign Policy is not to be discussed. If you don't agree with Canada, you have to not only enlist but go infantry or you can't have an opinion.

If we talk Yankee Baseball can I join the team to play CF??? Please? It will help me realize a childhood dream.
ATL Bear
LIB,MR BEARS said:

whiterock said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

whiterock said:

trey3216 said:

whiterock said:

Redbrickbear said:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

We did not have that.

That's it.
Slam dunk analysis.

We made the right one.

exactly.

But reality is reality.

But we don't.
And we didn't.
It's not who we are.

Russia quit once due to the Majuhideen.
Armed with Western advanced weaponry.
Canada2017
He Hate Me said:

Canada2017 said:

Shocking
Meh to this type of argument. If I change my screenname to Kissinger, then am I required to sign up for the diplomatic service before expressing an opinion?
Promoting courses of action that probably will result in the death of others without stepping up to the plate is bull*****

First Page Last Page
Page 14 of 122

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.