Russia mobilizes

188,412 Views | 4259 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by sombear
LIB,MR BEARS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
RMF5630 said:

whiterock said:

trey3216 said:

A few days after he refused to change the geofencing to acquiesce to the new battle lines and was calling for a truce since he gets a bunch of his aluminum from Russia. Shocking.

I appreciate what he has done. Which is far more than any other business leader I know of. Real risk. For little or nothing. Because it was the right thing to do. Now he has shareholders and employees and customers and suppliers at risk. No shame in saying "I've done enough."

No criticism of him is warranted here. Just thanks.
Well, we disagree here. The only issue is that now Ukraine is dependent on that tech. Going in you knew this was not going to be a short term deal, how did you expect to pay for it? He has set up a situation where he has to get paid or Russia gets an advantage. In typical Musk fashion, he made a media splash and created a mess after. He has done it in EVs, Twitter, and others. Usually to his benefit. As I said, Ringling of our time.

Now, if he does it at cost? Than I agree with you. He charges retail?
NATO has people whose sole job is to think things through, if/then/else scenarios. Why did NATO not see the importance of Starlink and work to protect it's access?
Canada2017
whiterock said:

trey3216 said:

A few days after he refused to change the geofencing to acquiesce to the new battle lines and was calling for a truce since he gets a bunch of his aluminum from Russia. Shocking.

I appreciate what he has done. Which is far more than any other business leader I know of. Real risk. For little or nothing. Because it was the right thing to do. Now he has shareholders and employees and customers and suppliers at risk. No shame in saying "I've done enough."

Well said .
FLBear5630
whiterock said:

RMF5630 said:

whiterock said:

trey3216 said:

Well, we disagree here. The only issue is that now Ukraine is dependent on that tech. Going in you knew this was not going to be a short term deal, how did you expect to pay for it? He has set up a situation where he has to get paid or Russia gets an advantage. In typical Musk fashion, he made a media splash and created a mess after. He has done it in EVs, Twitter, and others. Usually to his benefit. As I said, Ringling of our time.

Neighbor's contracting business gets smoked by a tornado. You offer to let him relocate into a vacant building you own to help him survive. Neighbor is plucky, works 24hrs a day, gets a lot of sympathy from the community. You are glad to be doing your part. Then, 9 months down the road, you realize that your neighbor is actually doing business. Not getting rich, but making a go of it. And he's getting tranche after tranche of financial assistance to keep going....to get new equipment, training of new staff he's had to hire, etc..... All kinds of free PR in the media. He's like the new puppy that never grows out of cuteness. No skin off your back, except for the fact that you've got good days & bad days grappling with your own monsters. Then, your insurance company calls and starts asking questions about your fire & casualty policy on the real estate you own. Nothing has changed much on your business. Usually doesn't for and engineering/design firms, but there's that one building you own where there actually are a bunch of people handling whirling metal objects powered by internal combustion engines.....

At what point do you go ask your neighbor to pay some rent?

At some point, charity becomes overhead.....

Pay the man!
We are comparing a business that can relocate and has other options. To Ukraine having no other options to provide communications. What capabilities does Ukraine lose if Musk shuts down and are their other options? I do not know, but that is the key variable before making that decision.

I put Musk and Steve Jobs in the same category. Great at making the splash and marketing, but they usually leave a mess behind them too! Usually for someone else to clean up. Than proudly walk around saying they are disrupters. Great, disrupt and profit while leaving the rest of us to deal with it! Real Prince.
trey3216
LIB,MR BEARS said:

RMF5630 said:

whiterock said:

trey3216 said:

NATO has people whose sole job is to think things through, if/then/else scenarios. Why did NATO not see the importance of Starlink and work to protect it's access?
they did. Almost all of the Starlink units were purchased or given by NATO countries, SpaceX just sped up the delivery process.
Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
Doc Holliday
whiterock said:

trey3216 said:

The Lindsay Grahams and neocons don't like this reasoning.
Aliceinbubbleland
Steve Jobs left behind a mess????????????????
FLBear5630
Aliceinbubbleland said:

He was a marketer, didn't really worry how they would do it and made you believe it was all about him. He was also a tyrant in his management. But, he was a marketing genius.

Apple is because of some of the most brilliant minds on the planet. I see him as very similar to Musk. Musk will have you believe it is him, but there are a ton of brilliant people behind him.

Some people love Musk and loved Jobs. Just an opinion. As usual, a side piece of information or throw in to my point seems to become the focus. Leave Jobs out of it if it makes it easier.
Doc Holliday
Look at this POS

trey3216
RMF5630 said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

He was a marketer, didn't really worry how they would do it and made you believe it was all about him. He was also a tyrant in his management. But, he was a marketing genius.

Apple is because of some of the most brilliant minds on the planet. I see him as very similar to Musk. Musk will have you believe it is him, but there are a ton of brilliant people behind him.

Some people love Musk and loved Jobs. Just an opinion. As usual, a side piece of information or throw in to my point seems to become the focus. Leave Jobs out of it if it makes it easier.
People tend to forget that Musk is not behind any of the technology here. He didn't start Tesla. He was an angel investor who booted out the founders and took over the company and became incredibly more wealthy than he already was by doing so. He's not inventing rocket technology, he has an army of engineers telling him what can be done and Elon sells it to the powers that be.
Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
Doc Holliday
trey3216 said:

RMF5630 said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

People tend to forget that Musk is not behind any of the technology here. He didn't start Tesla. He was an angel investor who booted out the founders and took over the company and became incredibly more wealthy than he already was by doing so. He's not inventing rocket technology, he has an army of engineers telling him what can be done and Elon sells it to the powers that be.
When Musk bought Tesla, they had nothing. He bought them for their name only. He absolutely built Tesla from the ground up.
FLBear5630
Doc Holliday said:

trey3216 said:

RMF5630 said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

When Musk bought Tesla, they had nothing. He bought them for their name only. He absolutely built Tesla from the ground up.
The company. Yes. They are now valued more than GM, although GM makes more money than Tesla could do in 20 years.

He promised and in some places over-promised on Tech that he was not developing. Same with SpaceX, he had people believing we will go to Mars in 10 years, 5 years ago.

He had everyone believing Autonomous Vehicles would take over the market in the near future. Similar to Jobs, he pushed the promises of tech that he did not know he could deliver. That is who he is. Man can make some money, although it was touch and go there with Tesla, Biden is his dream.
Wrecks Quan Dough
Doc Holliday said:

Look at this POS

What a moron!
FLBear5630
He Hate Me said:

Doc Holliday said:

Look at this POS

What a moron!
I agree. Musk may be a salesman, but he does get things done. People like this accomplish nothing.
Doc Holliday
He Hate Me said:

Doc Holliday said:

Look at this POS

What a moron!
Musk is offering help on his own accord and Vindman thinks he's obligated to help. Bureaucrats are the worst.
LIB,MR BEARS
trey3216 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

RMF5630 said:

whiterock said:

trey3216 said:

they did. Almost all of the Starlink units were purchased or given by NATO countries, SpaceX just sped up the delivery process.
then in the same way General Dynamics gets paid, shouldn't Musk?
FLBear5630
LIB,MR BEARS said:

trey3216 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

RMF5630 said:

whiterock said:

trey3216 said:

Gen Dynamics bids on those sales competitively. Musk wants sole source after the fact payment or he shuts it off. That is dirty pool from a procurement prospective. From a public business perspective, this is not gonna pass GAO!
Golem
RMF5630 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

trey3216 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

RMF5630 said:

whiterock said:

trey3216 said:

Gen Dynamics bids on those sales competitively. Musk wants sole source after the fact payment or he shuts it off. That is dirty pool from a procurement prospective. From a public business perspective, this is not gonna pass GAO!
He single handedly provided connectivity for C&C to much of the country through the toughest part of the war to date and you want to say him asking for someone else to finally pick up the tab for some of it is "dirty pool"? **** off with that noise. He's done more than almost any single individual to help Ukraine. It's time the freeloaders foot the bill.
HuMcK
The US, UK, and Polish governments did actually pay him to get the equipment there, the figure I saw reported was $120mil, and at least some of the end users in Ukraine are paying subscription fees as well. And of course it was all shipped in by US DoD logistics.

Musk has been helpful, but not quite as generous as his PR campaign suggests. This news also comes soon after Musk publicly suggested Ukraine should let Russia have what they've taken so far and sue for peace, and after he may or may not (depending who you believe) talked to Putin directly.
Harrison Bergeron
Ukraine is one of the most corrupt governments on the planet. Other than being a key contributor to the Biden Crime Family, not sure why the wokeys have become neo-cons ... I think they're too stupid to realize Ukraine is a very conservative, Christian Orthodox nation. Other than death and taxes, one thing is certain is the general ignorance and stupidity of Democrats.
Canada2017
Golem said:

RMF5630 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

trey3216 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

RMF5630 said:

whiterock said:

trey3216 said:

He single handedly provided connectivity for C&C to much of the country through the toughest part of the war to date and you want to say him asking for someone else to finally pick up the tab for some of it is "dirty pool"? **** off with that noise. He's done more than almost any single individual to help Ukraine. It's time the freeloaders foot the bill.
I trust Musk's judgment in this far more than any bureaucrat .
FLBear5630
Golem said:

RMF5630 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

trey3216 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

RMF5630 said:

whiterock said:

trey3216 said:

Not saying he is not more competent. Saying what he is asking is problematic under US law. Seems to matter in very aspect of our conversations until I bring it up! Tequila night, so bear with me.
Doc Holliday
Harrison Bergeron said:

Ukraine is one of the most corrupt governments on the planet. Other than being a key contributor to the Biden Crime Family, not sure why the wokeys have become neo-cons ... I think they're too stupid to realize Ukraine is a very conservative, Christian Orthodox nation. Other than death and taxes, one thing is certain is the general ignorance and stupidity of Democrats.
The left and neocons love them some war.
Sam Lowry
Doc Holliday said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

And a lot of Trumpists too, going by this thread.
Canada2017
Doc Holliday said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

Its absolutely incredible .

The lessons of Afghanistan , Iraq , Vietnam and Korea are being ignored still again .

The government lies, 95% of the media repeats the lies without even investigating them........and bingo.......Americans who couldn't find Ukraine on a map suddenly are willing to risk nuclear war .

Redbrickbear
whiterock said:

Redbrickbear said:

US recruitment has a lot to do with vaxx requirements. I know a few kids who want to join (including an academy prospect) but will not take a vaxx they don't need.

I'm sure that is part of the problem. But there are other issues as well.

FLBear5630
Redbrickbear said:

whiterock said:

Redbrickbear said:

US recruitment has a lot to do with vaxx requirements. I know a few kids who want to join (including an academy prospect) but will not take a vaxx they don't need.

I will agree with this. The number of moderate, conservative kids I knew that went to school with my son (graduated HS 2018) have no interest in military service.

My son, who went to a Military Academy for his first year and decided to transfer to A&M and got a degree and is working in the same degree field. He finished in 18 months at A&M, so it was not a party thing. They just turned him off on the military. he said too many politics. None of the kids he played with in HS chose military, officer or enlisted.

I have 2 nephews in the Air Force, they both went tech. No interest in Army, Navy, or Marines. Met a bunch of Fort Hood soldiers at Wurstfest last year, all were getting out. These guys were all 8 year NCOs, counting the days.

I am not seeing one group I have spoken with that talk positively about their experience. The ones I know staying are because they are over 15 and it is better to stay to get the pension now.

They are going to have an issue filling slots.
Golem
Our military is now more interested in funding addadicktome's than they are war fighting. Leftists destroy everything they touch.
Redbrickbear
RMF5630 said:

Redbrickbear said:

whiterock said:

Redbrickbear said:

I will agree with this. The number of moderate, conservative kids I knew that went to school with my son (graduated HS 2018) have no interest in military service.

My son, who went to a Military Academy for his first year and decided to transfer to A&M and got a degree and is working in the same degree field. He finished in 18 months at A&M, so it was not a party thing. They just turned him off on the military. he said too many politics. None of the kids he played with in HS chose military, officer or enlisted.

I have 2 nephews in the Air Force, they both went tech. No interest in Army, Navy, or Marines. Met a bunch of Fort Hood soldiers at Wurstfest last year, all were getting out. These guys were all 8 year NCOs, counting the days.

I am not seeing one group I have spoken with that talk positively about their experience. The ones I know staying are because they are over 15 and it is better to stay to get the pension now.

DioNoZeus
Redbrickbear said:

RMF5630 said:

Redbrickbear said:

whiterock said:

Redbrickbear said:

Bear8084
https://www.military.com/daily-news/2022/10/12/no-more-tape-test-only-soldiers-crush-fitness-test.html

Only if you do well on the fitness test.
Redbrickbear
Doc Holliday said:

Look at this POS

He and that ***** wife of his are real ghouls….
Redbrickbear
DioNoZeus said:

Redbrickbear said:

RMF5630 said:

Redbrickbear said:

whiterock said:

Redbrickbear said:

What's wild is that private Pyle was considered comically overweight in 1987…that was big part of his character.

How things have changed.

whiterock
LIB,MR BEARS said:

trey3216 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

RMF5630 said:

whiterock said:

trey3216 said:

Postscript: Musk relents.

https://www.newsmax.com/newsfront/musk-spacex-starlink/2022/10/15/id/1092039/

In retrospect t, it would appear that Musk was establishing that his opinion is relevant. And if people want to cancel him because they don't like his suggestions, then he can always cancel his contribution.

Well played, Elon
FLBear5630
whiterock said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

trey3216 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

RMF5630 said:

whiterock said:

trey3216 said:

Postscript: Musk relents.

https://www.newsmax.com/newsfront/musk-spacex-starlink/2022/10/15/id/1092039/

In retrospect t, it would appear that Musk was establishing that his opinion is relevant. And if people want to cancel him because they don't like his suggestions, then he can always cancel his contribution.

Well played, Elon
As I said, no one in the modern day markets like Elon. He is the Steve Jobs and Ringling of our age.
Redbrickbear
First Page Last Page
Page 25 of 122

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.